Thread: Bactrian cities

Default Bactrian cities

Hi all!

I am compiling a list of 15 - 20 of the most important or largest Bactrian cities. And as of yet I have only been able to find a list of 2 or 3. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Aranor

Default Re: Bactrian cities

Holt's map of "Diodotid Bactria" includes:

Kunduz
    Ai Khanoum
    Takht-i Sangin
    Tashkurgan
    Bactra
    Emshi-Tepe
    Shiberghan
    Tillya-Tepe
    Termez
    Kilif
    Kampyr-Tepe
    Dalverzin-Tepe
    Kobadian

With places like Begram, Merv, Bukhara, Maracanda, Alexandria-Eschate lying outside Baktria itself.

But remember that we don't have written accounts of their history. We don't know the ancient names except for two or three. We just know cities were in those places, but we have no idea what their ancient names were besides Bactra and maybe Termez. Sorry.

Thats more than fine with what you have given me! It will be a perfect start for me to work with! Thanks Telekos!

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Holt's map of "Diodotid Bactria" includes:

Kunduz
    Ai Khanoum=Alexandria Oxiani
    Takht-i Sangin
    Tashkurgan
    Bactra
    Emshi-Tepe
    Shiberghan
    Tillya-Tepe
    Termez
    Kilif
    Kampyr-Tepe
    Dalverzin-Tepe
    Kobadian

With places like Begram, Merv, Bukhara, Maracanda, Alexandria-Eschate lying outside Baktria itself.

But remember that we don't have written accounts of their history. We don't know the ancient names except for two or three. We just know cities were in those places, but we have no idea what their ancient names were besides Bactra and maybe Termez. Sorry.
    Cannot quite re-place the others, as there is not enough data but here some other Greek names Baktrian Greeks used... names like Aornos, Gandaris=Gandahara. The names you see are how they are called today.

You like EB? Buy CA games.