Thread: Mongol Antidote?

Default Mongol Antidote?

Ok, short introduction:

I fight the Mongols for the second time now. I found it really challenging battling them in the open desert and so after beating them back the first time with an mixture of assassination and bottleneck-fighting (bridges, the valley between Aleppo and Jerusalem), I loaded the first encounter and tried some other strategies.

One thing I noticed is that every time you kill their leader, no matter which way, the new leader aka former faction heir loses his over-the-top stats and positive traits. also it seems that the composition of his army changes. I repeatedly seperated, fought and killed the Mongol faction leader and each time his replacement, who had killer stats before (8 stars, 10 dread and some awesome traits) was reduced to a rather meek fellow leading a weaker army (for Mongol standards).

After the last leader got beaten this way the Mongols dispersed like usual.

Maybe someone can confirm this theory. If it works it would be an easier way to beat the Mongols in open field (when the necessity would rise). If not, than I should stop PUI.

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

Default Re: Mongol Antidote?

Interesting findings Barny. Has anyone else seen this? I'd give it a go but am tied up ATM. However, I'd definitely like to see if someone else can repro the leader drop effect.
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

hrm i cant confirm for sure, but in my experience in my byzantine campaign where i sent a 10 star assasin in and killed alot of their family members there faciton leaders did tend to have fairly weak stats compared to the monster generals that were walking around with full stack armies.

Cheers Knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

OK, I retested this the morning and the only thing I found out:

I should stop playing M2TW after coming home from a party!

Sorry, was a little bit drunk and it looks like I repeatedly chased the same Faction Leader through the desert while killing off his Family Members with assassins.

So what I thought to be diffrent leaders was always the same one.

Sorry again. Next time I will double-check while sober before posting any wild theories.

Member Member Lord of the Isles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barny Bangs
    OK, I retested this the morning and the only thing I found out:

I should stop playing M2TW after coming home from a party!

Sorry, was a little bit drunk and it looks like I repeatedly chased the same Faction Leader through the desert while killing off his Family Members with assassins.

Maybe this should go in the "You've played MTW2 too much if..." thread.

But look at it this way: better to start playing Total War than on-line poker, which is what I tend to do after a late night. Cheaper anyway.

Cheaper? It looks like I've spent 40.000 florins on bribing some Rebel General whose traits read like the list of deadly sins from the bible and I broke my alliance with Spain, because I just had to kill their cardinal to form a one-nation cardinal college.

Pricey too.