Thread: Fertility problems with my Generals

Default Fertility problems with my Generals

I'm playing KH on difficulty level medium, Hard and it seems that I never have enough Generals for all my Cities. Right now I have around 15 cities in the year 246 BC and most times I get a new general through marriage or coming of age another older General will die so I seem to always have a few cities without Generals. Does anyone else have this problem and is it possible to make changes to train Generals or at least improve fertility?

Default Re: Fertility problems with my Generals

It's typical to have a general for every 2-3 cities. It was decided that because it was too easy to abuse, there wouldn't be recruitable generals either. You could always improve ports to trade for oysters.

the thing is that the game allocates a certain amount of family members that is appropriate based on how many regions you own, and will not go past that point.

because the chance of getting adoption and 'man of the hour' events is so high, it often means that when theres an opportunity for another family member, the adoption/captain event happens well before new family members are born, and thus the family does not grow no matter how many fertility bonuses they have.

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

KH is one of the factions that shouldn't get babies. At all. Unfortunately, given the game's limitations, the best we can do is make them very, very infertile.

I just had a thought, but let me know if the EB Team has already made this a dead issue, but what if you could recruit generals, only in your capital city and it takes 8 turns and the cost is so great, say 80,000 mnai to recruit, so you wouldn't have 100 generals in one faction. Is that possible? I'm paying over 100,000 mnai to bribe rebel generals right now so I'm doing whatever it takes to get more generals but I still don't have enough.

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

what do you really need so many for? I have one for every city normally in my campaigns, maybe two armies at most so 2 generals for my two armies, and then a couple youths being educated back at my capital. how many generals does one need?

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

At this moment I have just enough for every city I own and that just happened because I went out and bribed 3 rebel generals and had to pay over 100,000 mnai a piece, but for most of my game I have been short generals to govern every city. I would like to have a couple more to campaign with and it is not a big issue I just was wondering if it is possible to tweak something to be able to recruit generals. If not, no big deal.

Small empires has spare generals, large ones tend to be lacking though. My advice is to just decide what places are most important to have governors and have a few dedicated generals near action points. In most cities they don't make a big deal of difference, Financial is like High taxes and Growth is Low.

KH wasn't exactly ruled by one family at that time, rather a set of independent leaders of their respective polis. So EB decided that the only true way to gain generals should be through adoption. Thus, if you want more generals, take a captain; make him see some hard fighting (typically battles with heroic victories); and hope for 'a candidate for adoption' message. Good luck raising your former captains to generals!
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Yeah thanks guys, I have been trying to avoid a lot of fighting because I didn't want to lose any generals but I'll take your advice and pick a good experienced captain and send him to the front lines with some good supporting units and hope for a man of the hour. Now that brings up another question, What does it take to get a "man of the hour"?, I've had some heroic victories but have not seen any "man of the hour" in a heck of a long time.

IF KH should not get babies and all the generals should come through adoption do they still get jealous of siblings being adopted in the same generation? because if so then it needs to be fixed

Quote Originally Posted by fatsweets
    Yeah thanks guys, I have been trying to avoid a lot of fighting because I didn't want to lose any generals but I'll take your advice and pick a good experienced captain and send him to the front lines with some good supporting units and hope for a man of the hour. Now that brings up another question, What does it take to get a "man of the hour"?, I've had some heroic victories but have not seen any "man of the hour" in a heck of a long time.
    There is a limit to the amount of FM's you can have, based on how much territories you control. Therefore increasing the number of settlements in your realm should automatically lead to an increase in FM's either through adoption or birth + coming of age, since new territories increase that limit. You probably won't get to adopt 'men of the hours' if you don't win your battles or your victories aren't sufficient (not heroic enough). What is sufficient depends on how big your shortage of FM's actually is compared to the amount of territories you control.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Trying to control the number of generals is a waste. The game pretty much decides the number. If you need them, they will come.

Quick fix... manage all settlements.
    I'm Batman!

Are you guys sure that the game controls the amount of FM's? In my pontos campaign I only have three provinces and I am constantly having suitors/new babies

Only some factions have fertility "controlled". Those are the ones where we don't want heirs taking over constantly. If you play a royal faction, you get plenty of royal kids hopefully.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Is there any way to control male/female children? (doubt it) But playing as Romani, I have about five girls for every boy in the upcoming generation. Just luck of the draw?