Thread: Campaine Editor

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

What exactly does it allow me to do.I'm a very creative person..If possible Chould I use this to edit unit stats?

I renember playing Civ games like Civ 2 and Alpha Centauri and always editing and playing with the code to make my own "Cheeseheads" and "Floridian Knights" and "Templar Samurai."I WANT to do this with Shogun,if possible.

So,do you guys know much about how the campaine ediorot works.?

(please ecxuse the incoherence,its 4AM right noq.))

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Tang Dualism can bo overcome.With sufficent enlightment,we can give substance to any distinction:Mind without body,north without south,pleasure without pain.Renember,enlightment is a function of will power,not of physical strength."-Shang-ji Yang,essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

The only thing the editor will allow you to do is make maps and scenarios. We were hoping for a campaign map editor but it is not going to be in the ex pack. I think if you allowed people to edit units it could lead to cheating online unless it returned to the default settings. But I think some people would still be able to manipulate them.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

Has it been confirmed that there will be no campaign editor???

This (in my opinoni) was the single most important thing to add...

and it would not be that hard to prevent cheating using the editor... They would all need the same gifs/info which would be in a scenario folder.... if both/all players didn't have that info/folder, they wouldn't have compatible games...

See CivII editor and scenarios for more details on how this works

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

Zen that is what I am sure that Shogun said in the questions that Erado sent to them. It was in the second lot of answers. I hope I am mistaken, there could always be a first time.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

The CDMag preview (of Jan 17 2001) told us:

"A scenario editor will allow you to define the strategy map start position and set up your own campaigns for either single-player or multiplayer games in which two to eight players can now compete over LAN or the internet."

They have not said anything along the lines of this feature being removed from the final - in fact, they haven't said anything about it at all. Except that the option to "start later into the game" (presumably to have a bigger starting area, that is) may have something to do with this. At worst, the text above is only a fancy name for a menu with the options "start at zero", "start with normal territories" and "start with advanced technology". But as we don't know what they've done to the tech tree, I think we don't have enough information on this to speculate much of anything.

On the other hand, the Community Site's QT3 answer page has the following text:

"Q. Would you consider opening up more features to editing and 'modding' to accommodate both those who enjoy a degree of historical simulation who may disagree with your design decisions, as well as those who prefer the more spectacular 'fantasy' features? For example, the ability to alter armour class, weapon type, speed, attack/defence factor, or to exclude or even create new troop types entirely. Ability to alter unit type attributes such as Discipline, troop spacing and valid formations. Similarly, will you make it possible to 'mod' the strategy game to eliminate such features as geisha, Europeans, Christians, and decrease ninja powers?
    "A. A map editor will be released before the add-on pack and special edition version of the game, so you will have time to build new maps and get them posted for download. The game engine is not really flexible enough to allow all of the mods suggested here, however this is something we are considering closely for our next Total War game."

This clearly rules out modding such as editing units. However, IMO this doesn't mean that there wouldn't be more extensive possibilities to rework the strategy game's starting positions, tech levels and possibly even the map itself - at best, it could be rather Civilization-esque. I wouldn't set my expectations too high if I were you, but I just wanted to point out that all hope is definitely not lost.

------------------
    "Si j'étais né en 17 à Leidenstadt / Sur les ruines d'un champ de bataille / Aurais-je été meilleur ou pire que ces gens / Si j'avais été Allemand?"
    - Jean-Jacques Goldman: Né en 17 à Leidenstadt
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Member Member Katasaki Hirojima's Avatar

Aww,alright.Well,I guess if the Engines not flexible enough its not flexible enough.Eh,oh well.Thanks for the responses guys.

------------------
    "I maintain none the less that Yin-Tang Dualism can bo overcome.With sufficent enlightment,we can give substance to any distinction:Mind without body,north without south,pleasure without pain.Renember,enlightment is a function of will power,not of physical strength."-Shang-ji Yang,essays on mind and matter.
    I maintain none the less that Yin-Yang Dualism can be overcome. With sufficent enlightment, we can give substance to any distinction: Mind without body, north without south, pleasure without pain. Renember, enlightment is a function of will power, not of physical strength.- Shang-ji Yang