Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .strings.bin converter

Default Re: .strings.bin converter

Hello,

I downloaded and installed Python 2.5 and the strings.bin converter. Yesterday everything went fine, but today I changed the location of python and it doesn't work anymore. I already tried reinstalling python several times. When I run convert_all.bat windows asks me what program to use to open the .py file. Then I select python.exe, and the .bat file closes. The imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin is still there, but no .txt file.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

Is the Conversion of these files absolutelly necessary?

I mean I do recognise export_units there, and in RTW that was the file with the Dictionary descriptions, but Alpaca you said in your download section that it is usefull for other languages than English...

Does that means that there is the same for english somewhere else this time and conversion of this is only necessary if we want to edit localised text?

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind please, we have to convert there isnt any other way. So for now I do not intend on making changes of descriptions, I gonna start playing with changing Unit/Building stats, but I got your tool thanks :)

*wonders why CA made it harder to change things in such a crucial moding file this time around*
    Last edited by Suraknar; 03-06-2007 at 08:29.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Oggy
    Hello,

I downloaded and installed Python 2.5 and the strings.bin converter. Yesterday everything went fine, but today I changed the location of python and it doesn't work anymore. I already tried reinstalling python several times. When I run convert_all.bat windows asks me what program to use to open the .py file. Then I select python.exe, and the .bat file closes. The imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin is still there, but no .txt file.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    How did you change the location of python?

1- Did you uninstall it and then reinstalled it in another location...

or

2 - you cut/pasted or moved its folder in another location?

If you did #2 that is where your problem is..needs to be done with way #1, unless your savy with windows registry files ;)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Suraknar: The English files were released quite a while ago (before we had the unpacker), and I'd rather use them because they are more eye-candy.
    For other languages, there's no way except for converting or directly editing the strings bin files.

Oops!

I forgot to look the downloads section and only sticked to the forums :)

Thank you for reminding me Alpaca
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

Unhappy Re: .strings.bin converter

I tried to download using the following link you alluded to

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=948

All I get is an invalid file id and I can't seem to find your converter on twcenter.

Did it get moved?

Also how do i get python scripting tool for pc? I know it exists under unix but i've never used it. Just used to shell.

Try the link in the first post.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Is there any chance you will provide a txt to string.bin converter?
    As the others posting here, I'm also using the io switch instead of a mod folder (I have very limited hard disk space), so now after I converted the original file into a text file using your program and spent a few hours rewriting most of it, I'm kind of left in the cold without a means to implement it into the game - the game won't recognize it if I simply put the text file in a newly created data/text folder.

Alternatively, can someone who uses mod folders implement my 2 texts and send them back to me as per game converted?
    PM me in that case please
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 03-25-2007 at 23:37.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Well all files you really need are the maps/world/base/map.rwm file, the maps/world/base/imperial_campaign folder and text/imperial_campaign_region_and_settlement_names.txt, all in all not more than a few mb of size, so it doesn't take too much hd space... You can delete some videos to compensate, who needs videos anyways :P

Anyways, I probably won't bother to write a .txt to .strings.bin converter, because the mod folder is supposed to work properly in 1.2, so using file_first should become obsolete (and I won't do anything to stop that )

Thing is I tried using MedManager after posting the above and created a "mod" with all contents of the data folder except videos and sounds and historic battles and when running it, it did not even take into account my normal changed character traits file (i.e. characters still had same trait effects as vanilla instead of my modded one)

Figure you would mind giving me an address where I can send the 2 text files to so you can run your game and convert them to bin for me?

Edit:
    I uploaded it here as a rar file if you would be so kind:
    http://download.yousendit.com/062D46C0488F6661
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 03-26-2007 at 11:50.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

You know, the problem with that is if I do it for you this time, you'll ask for it again, when you next have to change something.
    If letting the game generate it is too complicated, you can use this tool to directly edit the bins.

so i tried that sting editor to change the city name Rheims, to Reims and the game crashes. I hate these text files.

Even mods that have text files with them wont work. WTF

Try using a mod folder, mate.
    The io.file_first method apparently doesn't generate .strings.bin files for some people (or everybody?)

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    Try using a mod folder, mate.
    The io.file_first method apparently doesn't generate .strings.bin files for some people (or everybody?)
    With the io.file_first method it seems that the game doesn't generate strings.bin files but if they are already there and you modify the relative txt files they are appended with the new stuff you write.

So you don't have to delete them as you'd do if you use the mod folder.

@alpaca: I think there should be an organised boycott on mods that won't use the mod folder after 1.2 is out.
    That will probably force the mods to be a bit more GB friendly :D
    a.k.a Lord hokomoko @ the Lordz Modding Collective

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdnazg
    @alpaca: I think there should be an organised boycott on mods that won't use the mod folder after 1.2 is out.
    That will probably force the mods to be a bit more GB friendly :D
    I actually had a lot more questions about installation by users when AD used the mod folder than now that installs on a vanilla folder.

If in 1.2 CA will fix the modfolder procedure to COMPLETELY override the files in the vanilla folder maybe this could solve the problem but, as I fear, some files will always be required to be in the vanilla folder I don't think it'll be easier to have some files in a mod folder, some others overwriting the ones of vanilla, etc...

A valid concern, but that depends on what 1.2 will bring. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    a.k.a Lord hokomoko @ the Lordz Modding Collective

Actually I guess that the expansion will run in a mod folder again (like BI), so I guess they'll have fixed the code properly this time (because they're likely to change most files with their add-on)

Ok, i converting the files with your converter, but it produces horrible formatting. I assume this is because it's meant for use with 1.1? How can i get the txt files?

Apologies, ignore previous post, seems to work now.

Default Re : .strings.bin converter

Hello

I DL your file
    I DL Python 2.5 and unziped it
    I have folowed the read me and placed the .Bat and .py files in the data/text file. But when I open the .bat file it says that the files are dommaged or not somthing els.
    Can someon help me please. I am not a very good modder .

Thanks

Default Re: Re : .strings.bin converter

Quote Originally Posted by medieval2
    Hello

I DL your file
    I DL Python 2.5 and unziped it
    I have folowed the read me and placed the .Bat and .py files in the data/text file. But when I open the .bat file it says that the files are dommaged or not somthing els.
    Can someon help me please. I am not a very good modder .

Thanks
    Which files does it say are damaged?

Default Re : .strings.bin converter

It was all the files but I realised that my Python was a fake with a enormes number of Virus

thanks

Default Re: Re : .strings.bin converter

Quote Originally Posted by medieval2
    It was all the files but I realised that my Python was a fake with a enormes number of Virus

thanks
    Uhm, you probably didn't download it at python.org then?

Question Re: .strings.bin converter

Well, I have no problems getting the program to work, but I have another problem. I know that to replace the original file, I have to delete it from the data/text folder, so that wanted to change the faction leader's title in Sicily from King to Don, but because most of the data files are in the packs only (included the one I want to replace), there is no expanded.txt.string.bin to delete, and therefore no expanded.txt.strings.bin to replace. Is there any programs that can convert the .txt file back to strings.bin?

I have also tried to copy the original expanded...bin to the data/text folder, then started the game, exiting, deleting it, and started again. No effect.

You have to put the txt file into the data\text folder of a mod folder - not of a switch mod of M2TW.
    Use the stripped down or basic mod folder installation and it should work for you.

Hey guys I have the latest python downloaded and the .strings.bin converter tool, and I still cannot get the export_units file to convert. I even tried editing the .bat file as you explained in your read me to convert only that file but it wont do it.

How exactly can I get this file.
    or can I download the .txt version somewhere

thanks
    Cal

I installed the strings_bin_converter, and then i went to where i had saved it, and ran the convert_all.bat, and it flashed a command promp script, i was wondering what you have to do to get it to work??? I have done everything you asked so far, and i have only had problems with this part...
    Need help unpacking the files and your computer is a Vista??? Visit this thread
    Visit the Holy Babe Thread There are no excuses for not visiting us there, apart from
    1. Your Wierd
    2. Your Under aged
    3. Your a girl
    But then, why dont girls make a 'hunk' thread or something???

Quote Originally Posted by Iñnsomñni
    I installed the strings_bin_converter, and then i went to where i had saved it, and ran the convert_all.bat, and it flashed a command promp script, i was wondering what you have to do to get it to work??? I have done everything you asked so far, and i have only had problems with this part...
    I don't think you did or it would work. Did you read the readme? Did you install the Python program mentioned in the readme? Did you put the convert_all.bat in the data/text folder? You have to answer yes to all three to get it to work.

If you're using vista there might be some additional settings to do, I don't quite know. I don't officially support vista because I simply have no idea how it works.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast