Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 361 to 389 of 389

Thread: MTW Pocket Mod: General

  1. #361

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Hi, yes will report in the bug thread hereafter.

    !it burnsus!
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

    Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

    Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

  2. #362

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    I've implimented most of the changes you've suggested and fixed the problems you're reported. There are a few I haven't such as the removal of the Muster Field/Inn and the transfer of Aquitaine and Anjou to the French. Also I have not added any of the extra Muslim factions as yet, though this is something that I would be interested in adding to future releases. For the time being I've turned the unneeded Smith buildings rebel as I want to see how things go without them.

    A new release will be out soon.


  3. #363
    Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.
    Posts
    8,247

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    [Martok wishes he had more time to play.]
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

  4. #364

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Hi,
    the inn/ribat buildings and their morale bonus work very well when there not many other bonuses from other lines of buildings. Glad to hear that a release will be out soon, i ll most likely play camps during xmas.

    I hope that the pocket mod manages to find its way to completion. Its not a mainstream product but its a worthy one nonetheless that reveals a veteran players mind and an indiocyncratic one as such.

    The most important thing is to have fun, and there can be loads of it while playing and modding this little gem. Too bad that the developers being succesful commerecially with their newer but a bit shallower releases are unlikely to repeat its fine, atmospheric lustre.

    !it burnsus!
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

    Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

    Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

  5. #365

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    I've just started a campaign as the Sicilians, so I am going to play through that until Friday, which is the deadline I have in mind. I will be keeping an eye on the other factions as well (-ian mode etc) to see how things go. I then intend to make a few more tweaks and change some of the starting garrisons. If all is well at that point I intend to release the next testing version at the end of the week.

  6. #366
    Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,103

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    I'm going to load up a game as Aragon to observe how Iberia progresses.
    #Hillary4prism

    BD:TW

    Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

    Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

  7. #367

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General



    I am in the middle of a Sicilian campaign, but hardware problems are ruining it. I recently "upgraded" (not a major upgrade) my PC and now the old graphics card problems (infinite loop bug) I was having before have surfaced once again, except this time there is no solution. I will have to get a new graphics card. I was actually bidding on an X1950 and an X1650 last night on ebay but was beaten in the dying seconds.

    I am now faced with either resurrecting the old 9800 or reinstalling all of my old hardware. I'm going to go with the former for now, but I need to get a cooler for it first.

    Anyway the Sicilian campaign is going well so far. Building up slowly and extending my shipping. A crusade is building so will be heading for the Almoravids soon. No issues as yet, though it's early days.

    -Edit: I enabled the onboard graphics, an S3/VIA Unichrome IGP with 64MB of shared memory and now all is ok. No more lagging, no more massive delays in the menus, glitches on the campaign map and especially no more of the huge delay on the loading screens. It just works.
    Last edited by caravel; 12-20-2008 at 00:38.

  8. #368
    Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,103

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Good to see that your computer is up and running.

    Ok, Aragon I found to be a bit challenging, (or maybe I'm just really rusty). I noticed that quite a few of the surrounding provinces are quite rebellious. And being fairly strapped for cash made it hard to hold on to anything I took. Which is a good thing.

    It's 1120 now, didn't notice any bugs so far. I may start again, on perhaps normal rather than hard, since I'm getting my butt handed to me.

    Edit: I like how you start with the two provinces rather than the single province.
    Last edited by naut; 12-22-2008 at 15:29.
    #Hillary4prism

    BD:TW

    Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

    Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

  9. #369

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic View Post
    Good to see that your computer is up and running.

    Ok, Aragon I found to be a bit challenging, (or maybe I'm just really rusty). I noticed that quite a few of the surrounding provinces are quite rebellious. And being fairly strapped for cash made it hard to hold on to anything I took. Which is a good thing.

    It's 1120 now, didn't notice any bugs so far. I may start again, on perhaps normal rather than hard, since I'm getting my butt handed to me.

    Edit: I like how you start with the two provinces rather than the single province.
    This is the key to improving Aragon - and a single province is the reason why the Danes are still in a bad way. The Danes are very tricky to balance. I would like to improve them of course, but at the same time I don't want to unleash a horde of Huscarles on the world. I may have to add another province or two in the region yet as it is pretty sparse up there. I'd advise that you don't get too much into your campaign as I have a new version on the way.


  10. #370

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Playtesting 1.0.9 beta;

    Just reached 1270 in a very adventurus and topsy turvy campaign as the French, suffice to say that i did three (succesful) Outremer crusades so far Nicaea, Antioch, Tripoli, one of which took 50 years to complete; and was forced to instigate a civil war to save my a** kingdom when my second in line ruler was blessed with 6 daughters/nieces and no male heirs.

    First and brief impressions;

    -Campaign game way more dynamic than 1.0.8.

    -New Sea regions connection works well.

    -Stack composition very, very much improved from 1.0.8, especially after 1204. Now catholics play ok, except Chivalric Foot Knights that make Halbs obsolete. Consider altering stats or bringing FFKanighits in high era too and CFKanighits in late era only. Almost cheat unit in high, although available to all (AI builds it in decent amounts).

    -Byzantines in dire straits at the beginning

    -Siculo-Normans hungry for plunder transplant the Romans with aid from Papacy and pressure from Seljukids. Witnessed a Byz civil war despite jedi emperor 6 influence. Sicilians played great and become major sea and land power, that currently is helping me dismantle the Turks and will be my next adversary in the area.

    -Egyptians way more balanced - turning Arab swords and desert horse archer default hepled a lot - as a result they are sitting in Egypt (only province) at the moment instead of Paris.

    -Turks now a major headache for Fatims and Byzs, doing very well for large tracts of time - even withstanding the Mongol visit.

    -HRE degenerates into a weak slavic kingdom in the long run - AI preffers cheap and plentiful slav units than native catholic good german stuff, especially since he is so damn poor in the long run. Something needs to be done (to retain sovereignity).

    -SPain and Aragon turned behemmoths - killed off Almoravids and subsequent pretenders and focused on shaming napoleon by conquering parts of Russia (the rest under the hoof of the horde) and challenging France (me) - currently Aragon gone and CL richest for decades since their side of the map is dead end. Consider gaping Bay of Biscay and Elnglish channel through Atlantic (ie deep sea passage only) as you did east - Spain way too rich with all these provinces although less behemmoth than vanilla even so and with much better stack composition nontheless. Alternatively consider making overall wealth of Spain less - or making the Cordoba/Granada landbridge extinct so cinquering Alms takes longer giving them time to recoup.

    Not sure if more regions in Aquitaine and Toulouse would help - since they might end up as extra regions in the hands of the Spaniards, making the situation worse.

    -No ctds

    -Invisible Inquisition a nice plus

    -Battles very good especially against Turks - large casualties on both sides many times - no more pushover.

    !it burnsus!
    Last edited by gollum; 12-31-2008 at 17:40.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

    Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

    Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

  11. #371

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    -Stack composition very, very much improved from 1.0.8, especially after 1204. Now catholics play ok, except Chivalric Foot Knights that make Halbs obsolete. Consider altering stats or bringing FFKanighits in high era too and CFKanighits in late era only. Almost cheat unit in high, although available to all (AI builds it in decent amounts).
    Yes I will be looking at those again.
    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    -Byzantines in dire straits at the beginning
    Good or bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    -Siculo-Normans hungry for plunder transplant the Romans with aid from Papacy and pressure from Seljukids. Witnessed a Byz civil war despite jedi emperor 6 influence. Sicilians played great and become major sea and land power, that currently is helping me dismantle the Turks and will be my next adversary in the area.
    Well in the campaign I'm playing they seem a potent force as well. I'm not sure they should be that potent though?
    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    -HRE degenerates into a weak slavic kingdom in the long run - AI preffers cheap and plentiful slav units than native catholic good german stuff, especially since he is so damn poor in the long run. Something needs to be done (to retain sovereignity).
    This is because I've robbed them of the UM that they liked to spam previously. The solution is to restrict the Slavic units that were introduced by the VI expansion and rebalance them. The Hungarians have the Jobaggy (sp? - I can never get that one right!) and thus do not need the Slav Javelinmen. It might be a better idea to restrict them to a particular province and faction(s) such as the Poles, Kievans and/or Novgorod. The Slav Warriors could also be restricted to the Hungarians, Poles and Kievans only. Their stats could be radically altered turning them into spearmen and those factions would then not train (round shield) spearmen or early sergeants, which would be restricted to Danes/Novgord and the Catholics respectively.

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    -SPain and Aragon turned behemmoths - killed off Almoravids and subsequent pretenders and focused on shaming napoleon by conquering parts of Russia (the rest under the hoof of the horde) and challenging France (me) - currently Aragon gone and CL richest for decades since their side of the map is dead end. Consider gaping Bay of Biscay and Elnglish channel through Atlantic (ie deep sea passage only) as you did east - Spain way too rich with all these provinces although less behemmoth than vanilla even so and with much better stack composition nontheless. Alternatively consider making overall wealth of Spain less - or making the Cordoba/Granada landbridge extinct so cinquering Alms takes longer giving them time to recoup.
    I haven't done much with the Castilians/Aragon as far as economy and units goes. It is hardly surprising that they are now even more overpowered than they were as there are more provinces. The provincial incomes need to be halved and the Almoravids need strengthening as their garrisons are insufficient in their current state. I'm waiting for people to suggest decent garrisons for the early campaign as a whole.


    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    -Invisible Inquisition a nice plus
    What Invisible Inquisition, I've no idea what you're talking about really...?

    Keep an eye on the enemy spy/assassin caught messages as I'm not sure how that part functions as yet. That has been in there since v1.07A IIRC and I'm not sure if I've done the message for it. I've a feeling that I've set it up so that they show as either spies or assassins being caught as I don't want the player spotting them so easily.


    Feedback much appreciated.


  12. #372
    Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.
    Posts
    8,247

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Quote Originally Posted by Cynewulf View Post
    This is because I've robbed them of the UM that they liked to spam previously. The solution is to restrict the Slavic units that were introduced by the VI expansion and rebalance them. The Hungarians have the Jobaggy (sp? - I can never get that one right!) and thus do not need the Slav Javelinmen. It might be a better idea to restrict them to a particular province and faction(s) such as the Poles, Kievans and/or Novgorod. The Slav Warriors could also be restricted to the Hungarians, Poles and Kievans only. Their stats could be radically altered turning them into spearmen and those factions would then not train (round shield) spearmen or early sergeants, which would be restricted to Danes/Novgord and the Catholics respectively.
    I definitely agree the Slav Javlinmen and Warriors should be restricted by province and/or faction (whichever you feel is most appropriate). I've always found it a bit odd that the HRE (or anyone else) can recruit them to begin with.

    Changing the SW to more of a spear/sergeant type unit is fine by be. It would probably help give Kiev, Poland, and the Huns a bit more of a unique feel as well. Not sure about historical accuracy, but otherwise it sounds good to me.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cynewulf View Post
    I'm waiting for people to suggest decent garrisons for the early campaign as a whole.

    Feedback much appreciated.

    Gah! Had too many errands to run this past Monday, next Monday is so far away, and am still doing the 12-hour days right now....
    Last edited by Martok; 01-01-2009 at 09:45.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

  13. #373

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Good or bad?
    depends who you ask - i'd say excellent

    well. I'm not sure they should be that potent?
    Again depends who you ask - i'd say they should, since if Robert Guiscard wasnt taking the big sleep earlier than expected, Alexius-i-did-it-not-because-i'm-rotten-but-because-i-had-to-Comnenus would have led a less happier, succesful and perhaps much shorter reign as Byzantine Emperor. In any case, they are a potent force not a blitzing maelstrom - if the PoM manages to make the Byzantines a genuine challenge in early i'd say it has succeded.

    This is because I've robbed them of the UM that they liked to spam previously. The solution is to restrict the Slavic units that were introduced by the VI expansion and rebalance them. The Hungarians have the Jobaggy (sp? - I can never get that one right!) and thus do not need the Slav Javelinmen. It might be a better idea to restrict them to a particular province and faction(s) such as the Poles, Kievans and/or Novgorod. The Slav Warriors could also be restricted to the Hungarians, Poles and Kievans only. Their stats could be radically altered turning them into spearmen and those factions would then not train (round shield) spearmen or early sergeants, which would be restricted to Danes/Novgord and the Catholics respectively.
    Sounds a good idea - local flavor should be for locals to enjoy.

    I haven't done much with the Castilians/Aragon as far as economy and units goes. It is hardly surprising that they are now even more overpowered than they were as there are more provinces. The provincial incomes need to be halved and the Almoravids need strengthening as their garrisons are insufficient in their current state. I'm waiting for people to suggest decent garrisons for the early campaign as a whole.
    Not sure if its due to starting forces only - in 1.0.8 say the Alms played great - it could be because i took the French, that the Spanish and Aragonese went "mad".

    What Invisible Inquisition, I've no idea what you're talking about really...?
    I dont know, what are you talking about??



    !itburnsus!
    Last edited by gollum; 01-01-2009 at 12:53.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

    Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

    Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

  14. #374

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    I definitely agree the Slav Javlinmen and Warriors should be restricted by province and/or faction (whichever you feel is most appropriate). I've always found it a bit odd that the HRE (or anyone else) can recruit them to begin with.
    I'm going for restricting both. Those sort of units should be rare and not make up the backbone of any faction's armies, or they should be incorporated in some other way preferably replacing another unit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    Changing the SW to more of a spear/sergeant type unit is fine by be. It would probably help give Kiev, Poland, and the Huns a bit more of a unique feel as well. Not sure about historical accuracy, but otherwise it sounds good to me.
    Well as far as the historical accuracy goes I'm not overly worried. The spearmen stats will suit the info pic better than the sword stats it currently has. They can also be renamed if necessary. There is simply no point in many duplicate units simply to satisfy anal historical accuracy. I would like units to be culturally distinct but that's about it. The main focus is balanced battles with well rounded units.

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    depends who you ask - i'd say excellent


    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Again depends who you ask - i'd say they should, since if Robert Guiscard wasnt taking the big sleep earlier than expected, Alexius-i-did-it-not-because-i'm-rotten-but-because-i-had-to-Comnenus would have led a less happier, succesful and perhaps much shorter reign as Byzantine Emperor. In any case, they are a potent force not a blitzing maelstrom - if the PoM manages to make the Byzantines a genuine challenge in early i'd say it has succeded.
    I wanted the Byzantine to be an interesting faction for the player, though stagnant for the AI. On a related note I have made the changes to the black sea provinces. Two of them are now pagan to help slow Byzantine expansion. The Byzantine are still overdoing it navally of course. This will need tweaking until the number of ships reaches an acceptable level.

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Not sure if its due to starting forces only - in 1.0.8 say the Alms played great - it could be because i took the French, that the Spanish and Aragonese went "mad".
    It's partially due to starting forces. There a few starting garrisons of less than 100 men, this combined with the higher provincial rebelliousness can cause provinces like Murcia to rebel in the first turn. I know that one of those Iberian provinces has no garrison at all, I think it's Catalonia. On the whole the area needs looking at. The Spanish factions as a whole during the start of that period were poor.

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    I dont know, what are you talking about??
    Ok who sent you? Let's take this one finger at a time...

    -Edit: My patience wears thin, where is Caraveloto-san hiding?
    Last edited by caravel; 01-02-2009 at 01:19.

  15. #375

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Playing beta 1.09, by the way.

    Apologies again if I seem ungrateful or my comments ill-informed, I just thought I'd tell you how I'm finding it as I'm playing. I am really enjoying the mod, it's a totally different take on the mods I've played before & I think the building strategies & farm income ideas are a work of art, as are the new province ideas. At first I thought that the paucity of units would bug me but the battles are much more difficult, what with no ultra-uber troops, & that makes up for the somewhat uniform composition of armies.

    Stupid stupid question, even more stupid than the things I've posted over in the bug reports thread: when it gets to 1205, will new units appear? I know that you haven't finished the High era yet as a playable start, but on the roll-over during an Early era game will upgraded units be available?
    Last edited by Turbosatan; 01-11-2009 at 15:10. Reason: Included version number.

  16. #376

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Yes new units will become available from the High era, but as to how many depends on the faction. The Catholics, Novgorod and Kievans get significantly better, whereas the Muslims and Byzantines either stay much the same or worsen.

    In Late the Catholics and Seljuks (Will be known as the Ottomans in the late era, though only if you start from the Late era once the Late Era startpos file is done) will get much better and most other factions will fall well behind.

    Bear in mind that the unit rosters are not finalised as yet so there is till work to be done on balancing units and ensuring that there are only those units that are required. Every unit must fill a role or it is essentially useless. There are many mods that offer a great variety of different units per faction, this isn't one of them. The Pocket Mod aims to provide every faction with one unit, per role per era. The only exceptions will be special localised units, such as e.g. Clansmen or Nizari. These will add the "flavour" where required. This is preferable to opening the unit training scroll and finding six types of Horse Archer available and wondering which one to train. It also suits the AI better as it makes it easier for it to / forces it to make the right unit choices.

    Men at Arms are an example of a unit that may be changed. The High/Late MAA (CMAA) may be moved to Late only due to them being depicted as plate armoured infantry units. I would also prefer that the Early MAA (FMAA) continue into the High era as they are more readily available and are a good all round unit. Sergeants have been corrected in that there are now Early*, High**, and Late** Sergeants respectively.

    *Square Shield Spearmen with slightly improved stats
    *Feudal Sergeants
    *Chivalric Sergeants


    Last edited by caravel; 01-11-2009 at 17:54.

  17. #377
    Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...
    Posts
    4,138

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Foolish question, but IIRC, Arab armies really did not become worse as time went on, especially those in Turkey/Egypt. Will anything be done to address this?

  18. #378

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Not a foolish question, but in the mod Arab armies do not get worse, they merely get outclassed by western armies, which did happen. Prior to this western armies would have been inferior to their eastern counterparts. If anything I've made the Fatimids and Seljuks stronger from the start, but with the exception of the Mamluk units and Janissary/Sipahi/Ottoman units they do not really get constant flow of new units as time goes on.

  19. #379

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Observation: The Byzantine are still too strong. In the campaign I was playing as the English, they've exploded all over the map. They're in Egypt, the steppe and are heading into eastern Europe. They have huge stacks of Skutatoi, Kontaratoi, Psiloi and various cavalry types. They need to be brought under control.

    I'm against totally nerfing them, but I would like to make their homelands easier pickings for the Turks and others.

  20. #380
    Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.
    Posts
    8,247

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    Observation: The Byzantine are still too strong. In the campaign I was playing as the English, they've exploded all over the map. They're in Egypt, the steppe and are heading into eastern Europe. They have huge stacks of Skutatoi, Kontaratoi, Psiloi and various cavalry types. They need to be brought under control.

    I'm against totally nerfing them, but I would like to make their homelands easier pickings for the Turks and others.
    Agreed. I'm about 30 years into a Fatimid campaign (finally got to play a little today! ), and the Byz are already overrunning everyone around them. Perhaps their homelands should be more restricted than they are currently? I don't really like that idea, but at the moment I can't think of anything better.

    On the other hand, I really enjoyed fighting the Seljuks. They're finally decently strong, and more of a force to be reckoned with.
    Last edited by Martok; 01-19-2009 at 09:15.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

  21. #381
    Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...
    Posts
    4,138

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Actually, it has less to do with homelands, and more to do with financial allocation - the Byz have the money, therefore they build the troops in excess. To much upkeep prompts the AI to become aggressive. They conquer further territory, increasing their income and reducing their upkeep.

    Rinse. Repeat

    There are three ways of stopping this effectively without crippling the Byzantines.

    1) Decrease their financial capability in the beginning, and make it harder for them to win battles
    2) Increase the financial capability of surrounding factions in the beginning, and make it easier for them to win battles
    3) Increase the number of factions in the area. More Faction means the AI will attempt to maintain Garrisons in the area per faction, thus reducing it's ability to expand

  22. #382

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    I'm thinking along the same lines...

    Really we need to isolate where most of their income comes from and try to cut it in half. They seem to be trading and ship building to the extreme. So this leads me to believe that it is their farm income that is driving this. I'm sure this can be started with halving the farm income of Trebizond and Sinope (I may have duplicated these effectively adding another provincial income in the same area instead of distributing the income between the two), and reducing that of Antalya, Nicaea and Constantinople. The latter rakes in a large trade income anyway.
    Last edited by caravel; 01-19-2009 at 11:27.

  23. #383

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    To add to the above, I'll admit that I think we may be getting ahead of ourselves when thinking of new factions this early on and this issue demonstrates that. There is so much that needs doing and yet already we are discussing the adding factions to an existing faction line up and unit roster that is not yet balanced. I would like to put new factions, new units and indeed new eras on hold until what we have at present is fixed and working acceptably.

    At the moment we have the issue of the imbalanced Byzantine to fix. YLC's theory above is pretty much the same as what I'm thinking, mainly due to the sheer numbers of ships they can build. I don't think that reducing their homelands will be historically accurate (wait until the high era for that, where they will start with nothing but Nicaea), but I do want them to recede and decay rather than take over the world. We need to encourage factions such as the Italians and Sicilians to head for Constantinople though I cannot see a clear way as to how that can be done. The Seljuks also need a slight monetary boost to get them moving a little faster. I'm thinking that Mosul and Damascus should be richer provinces than they are at present. This would tie in with the creation of independent Atabegs or Emirates in the region.


  24. #384
    Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...
    Posts
    4,138

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Hmmm...I have a suggestion for getting the Italians and Sicilians to go after Greek lands. Correct me if I am wrong, but if memory serves, didn't the East Romans, in the aftermath of Manizkert, have a disastrous time trying to levy anything at all? The idea being that if we reduce initial production capability and make East Romans ripe for conquering, and have a nice line of nifty ships for the Italians leading there, the will take it. Without the masses of troops, the East Romans would suffer rebellion in their provinces, which I would think would be historically accurate anyway.

  25. #385
    Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,103

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Quote Originally Posted by YLC View Post
    Hmmm...I have a suggestion for getting the Italians and Sicilians to go after Greek lands. Correct me if I am wrong, but if memory serves, didn't the East Romans, in the aftermath of Manizkert, have a disastrous time trying to levy anything at all? The idea being that if we reduce initial production capability and make East Romans ripe for conquering, and have a nice line of nifty ships for the Italians leading there, the will take it. Without the masses of troops, the East Romans would suffer rebellion in their provinces, which I would think would be historically accurate anyway.
    Sounds feasible.
    #Hillary4prism

    BD:TW

    Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

    Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

  26. #386

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Thessaly, Epirus, Athens and Morea are the key provinces. Once the Latin factions are in there, there should be no stopping them from getting to Constantinople... what is stopping them at present is the Byzantine money machine. I'm still for cutting down on their net income. It would be an idea to make the islands, Athens, Epirus and Morea more likely to rebel early on. The only way to do this would be to make them non orthodox provinces, as increasing rebelliousness further would affect the conqueror as well. Also the Byzantine are probably building armies to hold down their provinces, so as well as cutting their income it might be an idea to add some happy buildings in key provinces - only enough to stop rebellions and stop them increasing garrisons. This will give them stability where it counts and less stability in border regions from the start.
    Last edited by caravel; 01-20-2009 at 18:03.

  27. #387

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    so, to avoid having to browse the last hundred pages: have there been any novelties since 1.6beta?
    Iä Cthulhu!

  28. #388

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    There are only 10 pages in this thread. 1.09b is totally different to 1.06b. You'd have to try it for yourself - up to you.

  29. #389
    Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.
    Posts
    8,247

    Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod: General

    Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown Guy View Post
    so, to avoid having to browse the last hundred pages: have there been any novelties since 1.6beta?
    Many. The 1.9 beta is very different from the 1.6 version.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO