Thread: Short Campaign doesn't Unlock factions?

Default Short Campaign doesn't Unlock factions?

I just finished my spanish short campaign, and I went to start a new campaign and I was shocked to see that no new factions were unlocked, is this a bug? I couldnt even play as the portugeese that I destroyed myself..

Also I read the FAQ on how to unlock them myself, I just didnt want to...

Default Re: Short Campaign doesn't Unlock factions?

It does, quit the game and come back, the factions will be there.

restarted the game, Portugal is unlocked but no other factions(besides the ones you can start with by default :P)

I didnt have a problem when I did it. I played a short English Campaign and it unlocked all the others for me.

Did you win or lose the short camp??

I just didnt complete a grand camp as the french in the turn limit and I didnt get the unlocks

strangely turkey disappeared and egypt appeared in its place???
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skott
    I didnt have a problem when I did it. I played a short English Campaign and it unlocked all the others for me.
    Likewise
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

You can unlock them manually by following these instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    To do this you can either complete a campaign (on any difficutly, long or short setting) with one of the five starting factions, or you can edit the preferences file. To do this open your Sega/M2TW folder/data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign, find the file called "descr_strat" and open it with wordpad. Now find the section which says
    Code:
    campaign      imperial_campaign
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
    end
    unlockable
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    Change it so it reads
    Code:
    campaign      imperial_campaign
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    You can unlock them manually by following these instructions:

I wish for you to read my post. If you had read it you would of knoticed that I didnt wan't to unlock the factions via file editing at all, at least for now...

Yunus, it was short campaign I won, anyways if I have to beat all the factions myself to play them its no prob, just started a M/M Venice game and im getting my behind handed to me... everyone wants to betray me, even the pope it seems, my popularity keeps going down....

Hmmm - sorry mate, i was skim reading and missed that part :(

And if you won the short campaign, then they should be unlocked, so i'd see no problem in doing it manually since you've definitely earned it (but this is from a guy who unlocked them from the word go)
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Yep, winning the short campaign should definitely unlock everything. I wonder why it didn't for you.

When I played my first campaign (short), each country that I defeated became available to play IMMEDIATELY, and all of them were unlocked as soon as I'd beaten the campaign.

I know, I know, you don't want to mod anything even if you deserve it, but if you change your mind, there is a WAY easier way to do it. Just go to your medieval2.preference.cfg file (in the MTWII root directory), and add the following lines to the end:

[misc]
    unlock_campaign = true

That will tell the game you've finished the campaign (which you HAVE ^_^). The next time you start the game, everything will be as it should be, and those two lines will even magically disappear from your file!

Regardless of your choice, have fun!

Hmmmm, did you finish it after installing the new patch? Possibly there's been a change in the rules now?

yea it was after the patch. it would be interesting if they turned off the unlock all factions after finished campaign, might make the campaign a challenge to get the factions you want to play the hardway, lot funner too. :D

I just got the definitive version, and did the english short campaign, yet nothing got unlocked, not even scotland

I cant even figure out how to look at the files to do it manually

Member Member Asteroids Champion, Run N Gun Champion, Hook Line & Sinker Champion, Zoo Keeper Champion, Street Racer Champion, Pipe Mania Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Boxteroid Champion, Spider Jump Champion, Asteroids 2k3 Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Desert Battle Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Burger Time Champion, Bug Juice Champion, Plastic Saucer Champion, Quick Shot Champion, Shuriken Challenge Champion, James Bomb Champion, Gary Golf Champion, Red Beard Champion, Crazy Cars Champion, Cell-Out Champion, Space Runner Champion, Submarine Champion, Space Rescue Champion, Roller Blaze Champion, Cub Shoot 2 Champion, Radial Snake Champion, Kirby's Star Scramble Champion, Chicken Champion, Shootout Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Space Hunter Champion, Jail Break Champion, Squirrel Soccer Champion, Mouse Kill Champion, Treasure Diver Champion, Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Takion Champion, Jet Pac Stan Champion, Warthog Launch Champion, Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Iceberg Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion, Shoot The Gatso Champion, QB Challenge Champion, Fall Down Champion, Invasion 2196 Champion, Frogger Champion, Skeleton Park Champion, Slack Man Champion, Fishing the Sea Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Duck Tracker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, jetpacker Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Lift Champion, Brighton Bounty Champion, V:force Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Tiger Moth Champion, Super Mario Mushroom Champion, Rotation Champion, Jack's Bar Champion, Fish Kill Champion, Ninja Turtles 2 Champion, Ping Champion, Killer Bob Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Battle of Helms Deep Champion, Life Bouy Champion, Ice Racer Champion, Ghost 2000 Champion, Its Mine Champion, Home Run Rally Champion, Alien Invasion Champion, Homeland Defense Champion, KF 9000 Champion, Stick Avalanche Champion, Paintball Champion, What-A-Shot Champion, Reactor Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Mars Patrol Champion, Starcastle Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Sonny Sunshine Champion, Home Run Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Pin Headz Champion, Fun Santa Champion, Mission Mars Champion, Tontie Champion ConjurerDragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I cant even figure out how to look at the files to do it manually
    That was described in post 7 of this thread.
    Look in folder:
    J:\TotalWar\Medieval II\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    or whereever you have installed your game.
    Open file descr_strat.txt

For me it shows:

Code:
    ; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign		imperial_campaign
    playable
    	england
    	france
    	hre
    	spain
    	venice
    end
    unlockable
    	sicily
    	milan
    	scotland
    	byzantium
    	russia
    	moors
    	turks
    	egypt
    	denmark
    	portugal
    	poland
    	hungary
    end
    nonplayable
    	papal_states
    	aztecs
    	mongols
    	timurids
    	slave
    end
    So currently all factions are still locked to me (I have installed the Gold version again only yesterday).