Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robots could demand legal rights

Default Robots could demand legal rights

Yes you read correctly robots could demand legal rights.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6200005.stm

Robots could one day demand the same citizen's rights as humans, according to a study by the British government.
    If granted, countries would be obligated to provide social benefits including housing and even "robo-healthcare", the report says.

The predictions are contained in nearly 250 papers that look ahead at developments over the next 50 years.

Other papers, or "scans", examine the future of space flight and methods to dramatically lengthen life spans.

"We're not in the business of predicting the future, but we do need to explore the broadest range of different possibilities to help ensure government is prepared in the long-term and considers issues across the spectrum in its planning," said Sir David King, the government's chief scientific adviser.

"The scans are aimed at stimulating debate and critical discussion to enhance government's short and long term policy and strategy."

Robot rights

The research was commissioned by the UK Office of Science and Innovation's Horizon Scanning Centre.

The 246 summary papers, called the Sigma and Delta scans, were complied by futures researchers, Outsights-Ipsos Mori partnership and the US-based Institute for the Future (IFTF).

The reports also explored the future of manned space flight

The papers look forward at emerging trends in science, health and technology.

The scans explore a diverse range of areas from the future of the gulf stream and the economic rise of India, to developments in nanotechnology and the threat posed by HIV/Aids.

As well as assessing the current state of thinking the research also examines the possible implications for society.

The paper which addresses Robo-rights, titled Utopian dream or rise of the machines? examines the developments in artificial intelligence and how this may impact on law and politics.

The paper says a "monumental shift" could occur if robots develop to the point where they can reproduce, improve themselves or develop artificial intelligence.

The research suggests that at some point in the next 20 to 50 years robots could be granted rights.

If this happened, the report says, the robots would have certain responsibilities such as voting, the obligation to pay taxes, and perhaps serving compulsory military service.

Conversely, society would also have a duty of care to their new digital citizens, the report says.

It also warns that the rise of robots could put a strain on resources and the environment.

"These scans are tools for government to identify risks and opportunities in the future," said Sir David.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Default Re: Robots could demand legal rights

As someone building the next generation of robot overlords I say: HA !
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Reminds me of AI from Steven Spielzeugberg or so.
    If you like it darker, take the Matrix Trilogy or Terminator.
    But don't despair, we can always hide upstairs.
    Last edited by Husar; 12-21-2006 at 20:10.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Post Re: Robots could demand legal rights

Robots don't need rights - do they. If uber futuristic Robots were to get rights then it could lead to a revolution where robots rule and humans are slaves. "Welcome the the robot empire *electronic and metallic evil laugh*"

On the positive side robots could get their own TV channel where humans get sent on to either meet their doom or escape with their lives. The Weakest Link could be presented by an android called Ann-Droid, Big Brother by Davina-Droid, Stars in Your Eyes by Kat Droid and What not to Wear by Tinny Droid and Susannah Droid

Sorry. I have been watching too many Doctor Who Episodes which feature Satellite 5 and lots of "gone wrong" game shows

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Reminds me of AI from Steven Spielzeugberg or so.
    If you like it darker, take the Matrix Trilogy or Terminator.
    But don't despair, we can always hide upstairs.
    Last edited by MSB; 12-21-2006 at 20:20.

In the future will all paragraphs be reduced to 2 sentences or less?
    Rameus

Sorry. I have been watching too many Doctor Who Episodes which feature Satellite 5 and lots of "gone wrong" game shows
    Excellent.

Yesdachi swallowed by Jaguar! Member yesdachi's Avatar

Well if Israel can have nukes so should robots.
    Peace in Europe will never stay, because I play Medieval II Total War every day. ~YesDachi

Well if Israel can have nukes so should robots.
    What about nuclear powered robots?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Why aren't we talking about quikly dispatching Doc_bean? He is building these foul things after all. I know he deserves it, not sure why but he does.

Blog Entries

Personally I'm not afraid of Belgian Robots, its the darn German Ones that keep harassing me. No...I'm not a Marxist, and please stop trying to make me wear an arm band with a Smily Face, oh and while your at, STOP BREAKING MY FREAKIN' WINDOWS!!!

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I think that is bull. Robots are circuitry and silicon, nothing more, nothing less. They do not deserve rights.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat
    I think that is bull. Robots are circuitry and silicon, nothing more, nothing less. They do not deserve rights.
    Am I detecting a hint of anti-robotism? This clearly goes against the forum rules not to discrimate or offend; you should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat
    Well, you could spend half an hour reading it's rights to a robot until it says: "unrecognizable command, please repeat"

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Great. Now my CD player is demanding I stop playing the same 10 CDs over and over. It has "rights" too and if I don't comply, I won't be hearing anything out of the "lefts" (speakers).

I wonder if Assimov's laws of robotics are given any serious consideration in today's robotics field. Or are they considered hokey scifi stuff? Those laws would have some play in this issue I'd think.
    This space intentionally left blank

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    I wonder if Assimov's laws of robotics are given any serious consideration in today's robotics field. Or are they considered hokey scifi stuff? Those laws would have some play in this issue I'd think.
    The gap between what happens in academia and industrial applications might be a few years, the gap between what people think robotics can do (soon) and what academia can actually produce is likely decades.

Most intelligence in robotics is just smoke and mirrors. They can't even make a car that can go from point A to B in a freakin' desert (a competition held by the Pentagon, big rewards for however figures that one out).

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Robots could demand legal rights

Yes, but only if we program them to do so...
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    Robots could demand legal rights

Yes, but only if we program them to do so...
    No, they're talking about intelligent robots, robots which are self aware and thus could be a pain in the butt.

I still think that even if we were capable of building them we wouldn't build many, what would be the point ?

I still think that even if we were capable of building them we wouldn't build many, what would be the point ?
    They would probably market them as purchasable partners for extremely lonely people who don't really have a life and can't make any human friends. Then we would have robot marrages and divorces when they decide that their partner is just a lazy slob and they don't want to do all the chores anymore.

RoboPal: "I'm sick of you, you only ever treat me like a cheap piece of hardware! Don't you care for me anymore!"
    Last edited by Hepcat; 12-22-2006 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepcat
    They would probably market them as purchasable partners for extremely lonely people who don't really have a life and can't make any human friends. Then we would have robot marrages and divorces when they decide that their partner is just a lazy slob and they don't want to do all the chores anymore.

RoboPal: "I'm sick of you, you only ever treat me like a cheap piece of hardware! Don't you care for me anymore!"

The Space Pope says dating robots is wrong !

Then we would have robot marrages
    What about gay robots?

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They can't even make a car that can go from point A to B in a freakin' desert (a competition held by the Pentagon, big rewards for however figures that one out).
    That was the first competition, IIRC subsequent competitions had the robots doing much better. Also 'point A to point B' was a 60+ mile offroad trail.

Oh, to the topic, this is a load of crap. Some professor is a touchy feely pansy. Though I suspect the UK would be the kind of country that gives robots rights. Anyone else seeing mass produced robots programmed to vote a certain way?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    TAnyone else seeing mass produced robots programmed to vote a certain way?
    We're getting there.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Well, when the robots turn against us, you know who will be sitting in his attic with a Dragunov... and 3 bottles of Vodka.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Blog Entries

Post Re: Robots could demand legal rights

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor
    What about gay robots?
    Convert them to the true space faith or make them worship the Church of the Holy Vagabond (what ever that is)
    Last edited by MSB; 12-23-2006 at 08:29.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    Well, when the robots turn against us, you know who will be sitting in his attic with a Dragunov... and 3 bottles of Vodka.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I believe that robots are too perfect sometimes, and that they will abuse their power, and force us into a technocracy.
    If they can think, they can plan, conspire.
    I say we give every man, woman, and child the training to destroy robots.

But the benefits (cheap border security, cheap labor) don't outweigh the costs (disappearance of the middle class and all American virtues)
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

I wouldn't be so confident. We are biological robots with emotional attachments to the other biological robots in our group...

Revolting Peasant Member marcusbrutus's Avatar

No way is the RSPCR prosecuting me for neglecting my toastie maker or being sentanced to 3 months in prison because I dropped my TV.

Disclaimer - if being read by the robot secret police some years from now - these are not my views and I have never negleted any toastie makers or damaged a TV in any way whatsoever - All Hail!
    "Semper in Mira. Solum Profundum Variat."
    - Geoff Lee, One Spring (2002)

"Game graphics are like bikinis - it's not about what you show, it's about what you leave to the imagination."
    marcusbrutus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast