Thread: So I got myself into a nasty fix...

Default So I got myself into a nasty fix...

Wintertime + starving troops vrs 2 armies of Carthage with very high class generals... Yeah.

I've continued playing but the defeat/s (in multiple tries) killed off my advances in Cicily for a while.

I was wondering if any of you RTW experts could pull it off. The army sizes are pretty even (2 armies each) but the problem is my troops have extremely low morale + my ally always acts like an utter idiot and never helps me. Its VH/VH

Ive got a save for the battle if anyone wants to try it. And if anyone does pull it off, I want to know how you did it!!!

http://files.filefront.com/EB_Before.../fileinfo.html

Default Re: So I got myself into a nasty fix...

dang. the morale (or is it stats?) hits from VH plus the logistics morale hits? yeah, good luck.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

For real..thats why should always play VH/M with EB, its more realistic.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

There's always Romesage.

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

Sounds like a pretty bad fix. What kind of troops do you have, what kind of expeirence do they have.

Since your so low on morale try and keep your troops compact. Your facing a couple armies so you might want to try Hannible's weak center crescent. Only step it back instead of making it a smooth crescent to ensure everythings nice and compact and recieving morale bonuses. This should also allow you to gain morale impacts on the enemy when they engage as they will more then likely have contact on their flanks due to the stepping. If all else fails, just make it hurt, and hurt alot. Try and drag it out in multiple battles if you can.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

For real..thats why should always play VH/M with EB, its more realistic.
    Yeah, I'm new to EB and I was used to RTW being a cakewalk. Even RTR was incredibly easy, but still fun. This is the first time I've been seriouslly challenged by a total war game. Still, I dont want to start over unless it gets crazy so I'll just have to be extremely careful about the seasons, etc. I hadnt been really watching morale.

There's always Romesage.
    What is that? the link doesnt work.

Sounds like a pretty bad fix. What kind of troops do you have, what kind of expeirence do they have.
    The armies are pretty standard Republican style. A core of Hastaii and Princepes, 2 Trarii, couple units of Rorarii, and various skirmishers/slingers. Both armies have some light barbarian mercenary calvalry. And of course, a General.

Since your so low on morale try and keep your troops compact. Your facing a couple armies so you might want to try Hannible's weak center crescent. Only step it back instead of making it a smooth crescent to ensure everythings nice and compact and recieving morale bonuses. This should also allow you to gain morale impacts on the enemy when they engage as they will more then likely have contact on their flanks due to the stepping. If all else fails, just make it hurt, and hurt alot. Try and drag it out in multiple battles if you can.
    Can't believe I didnt think of the crescent. I used to use it all the time when playing RTR as pontus when fighting gigantic Seleucid phalanx armies. I'll have to try it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartz
    What is that? the link doesnt work.
    New Link. It allows you to edit save games for a bunch of different stuff, including battle difficulty. Though I suspect victory may come with improved tactics.

well remember Camilian roman troops are don't have that great stats exept for the Triarii. Plust you must add +7 to the attack and defence of the AI units......

My suggestion, buy some Pezetaroi (sp) mercs instead of barbarian cavalry, get on top of a mountain in the campain map, and let the AI attack u. The high groud will help u win the battle. Thats how I beat the AI of Selucia and Ptolemoi in VH/VH in EB .74 with KH.... but then again EB .74 used RTW 1.2 (and as we all know AI in 1.2 is not the AI in 1.5)

Meh not the most graceful win I've ever had, but it's a win. Good thing the battle timer was on, otherwise it might have been different. Took up my spots at the base of the hill your reinforcements come. With our 2 armies, we were able to kill the 1st carthage army. Then killed off all the supporting units in the 2nd, but didn't want to dance with all those pikemen left so I hit triple speed and waited. Was able to kill both generals, who were a bitch to kill. Not sure how to send the save file, how do you want me to?
    https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...s/thingie1.jpg
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

This is a prime instance where you really should "Go to the Triarrii." Stick the Phalanx boys in the centre and then the Princeps, then the Hastati, rush the Hastati through the Princeps and flank with the Cav.

Well you managed anyway but that would have been my way.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

I used my normal phalanx tatics with any faction. I lined up the triarrii in the first infantry line, placed my slingers in front of them, and the levies in front of them. I grouped all the other units, put on fire at will and placed them unto 2 close lines behind the triarrii. The cavalry goes behind that. Worked fine, but not as good as normaly, since I like to bring a lot more missile units and cavalry to support it*4-6 archers/slingers and 4+cavalry including general*.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Meh not the most graceful win I've ever had, but it's a win. Good thing the battle timer was on, otherwise it might have been different. Took up my spots at the base of the hill your reinforcements come. With our 2 armies, we were able to kill the 1st carthage army. Then killed off all the supporting units in the 2nd, but didn't want to dance with all those pikemen left so I hit triple speed and waited. Was able to kill both generals, who were a bitch to kill. Not sure how to send the save file, how do you want me to?
    https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...s/thingie1.jpg
    Thats amazing! I tried again myself using the cresent formation and lost. I might try again copying what you did.

btw you dont need to send the save, I'm already so far along in another copy that it would be annoying to replay it all over. But I am very suprised that you pulled it off.

As for everyone else, all your tips are helping my general battle skills, even though I failed to put them into use in this battle.

Ahh righto then. What did you do, just take your lose and get your revenge later?

As for your army make up, you had too many spears and too little cavalry and missiles for my taste. Roman cavalry is decent, and they can get good axuillary cav. Plus their slingers are good for their price and Cretans/Balerics are very close. But I havn't played as the romans *hate them from too many campains*, so I don't know what is a good army for them. And hurt on the poor, poor carthagians too much, they were only defending their lands! *But I bet you have, my poor carthage stand firm!*

Nobody said it was going to a graceful win........ its Vh/VH sh*t goes creazy when u play VH, so u need to resort to "smart-a**" tricks like hills and bridges.

But IF u play VH/M, then u can play in the flat ground with u attacking the AI and even role-play. OR u can play VH/H, in which u can do the same things as in VH/M, but with more care.

I am currently playing VH/H with the Romani to avoid having to make 'smart-a**" moves on the AI and still be able to role-play a "SOMEWHAT" (I am not as creazy about roleplaying as some guys here, but still, its fun)