Thread: Campaign mode: invincible daimyo?

So I'm in my second battle, and I've decimated the AI enemy, he's down to one last unit, the Daimyo himself. 180 archers all firing at him, none can hit him. SO I close for melee, and he MOWS THROUGH 180 ARCHERS, one at a time, and I lose. How do I defeat these invincible units? Do you HAVE to have non-archer foot to defeat him? (my spear had been killed to a man). Thanks,
    NapNinja

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

you mentioned that he mowed through your archers, which sort of answers your own question. Archers and other missile troops aren't the best in hand to hand combat, especially against cavalry of such high honor as a Daimyo's unit. Next time, attack the enemy Daimyo with spearmen. You also didn't mention what the difficulty level you are playing was, which might also have something to do with your trouble.

Hi Napninja.

You;re not alone. I had that happen as well. His army was routed a and he was surrounded (and i mean surrounded) but YS and WM and SA and noone could kill him. Fineally there was hole and he got away. Damn!

------------------
    Chaos is born from order.
    Cowardice is born from bravery.
    Weakness is born from strength.
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu

Early on in the game, your units lack the upgrades and/or honor to be able to take out a high-end unit like heavy cavalry. This is even with Yari Samauri. I remember one game where my Hojo YS, all 400 of them, would completely surround Useugi's daimyo and just stab at the last unit for two minutes before he went down. I have found that later on in the game your YS and even archers have the superior equipment and experience to bring down the Hatamoto better.

even so...

it is dumb to watch 50 guys stabbing one guy with spears for like 1 minute before he either goes down(taking 25 guys with him) or gets away.. even the dumbest most inexperienced guy can still stab at a guy from 5 feet away.... i guess it would make it less fun though

------------------
    -Sun Tzu
    -Sun Tzu

yari samurai vs horse attack factor:4 defense factor:6
    yari ash vs horse attack factor:3
    defense factor:3
    samurai archers vs horse attack factor:0
    defense factor:0

this is according to the stats I've read in the guide book.

henryh, I think those numbers are correct for H0 units.

Napninja, Keep in mind that individual men who get a lot of kills can gain honor on the battlefield. I've had a single WM go from H0 to H4 with fewer than 180 kills for the whole unit. Attacking a daimyo hth with SA is just helping him get stronger. I'd try engaging him with my best defensive unit in hold formation from the front, and attack from the back with my best offensive unit in engage at will. HC are so well armored that it's unlikely that arrows will bring him down, although, it is possible.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2