Thread: 2 newbie questions

Question 2 newbie questions

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i couldn't find them in the guides and faqs around:

1. is there a way to make the army straight forward? I know that once u have deployed u can group them and let them march in that formation. Last time they suddenly decided that they had to look to the right, while the gauls were right in front of them. I lost that battle since my flank was right in front of them. So whats the safest way to move an army, or to let it turn?

2. Is there a shortcut to go to the next unit with movement left? I often notice i didn't move a scout, fleet or diplomat after hitting end turn.

Thats all for now, hope u can help me.

Greetz

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Default Re: 2 newbie questions

Welcome to the org Safan and... Merry Xmas !

1) I don't understand what you mean by "straight forward";

but if you like to group your whole army and then choose a default formation, then it's often a good idea to de-group and re-group again so that your army doesn't change its formation because you right clicked and dragged them the wrong way.

2) "tab" button is your best friend on the campaign map, or you can also right click on "town", "army", "agent" and order every one's mission methodically.

Hope I answered to your questions, if I didn't ask again.

For the first part. When the army is grouped, click and drag and it will show you how will they be positioned. If you don't like it that way, you easily keep moving the mouse till you like it, and if you by mistake drop, you can easily initiate another drag and drop order and it will overrire the previous.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Space Bar is your friend. Alt + right click + drag = change formation direction. Alt + right click = move and face the same direction. Right click = move towards point and fac that direction. These are kinda buggy, I usually go through and set all my groups on by one to Shift + 2.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Is he asking how to change the formations?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

no, i was actually asking how to keep formations, but prevent them to turn a other way. Sometimes they just turn almost backwards, and then defeat is near.

I haven't tried the tab button yet, will try that later ...

merry x-mas 2u2 =)

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

You mean when you select your army, right click in front of the enemy and end up with your formation facing any direction but the good one ?

The solution is to right click and drag from right to left. HOWEVER, make sure you didn't choose a formation or you'll end up thining or deepening your formation at the same time.

To Answer you Questions

1. If I have a preset formation for my army that I am comfortable with, and then i try to move position using right click+ drag, it arrays my army in a straight line. I wouldn't suggest right click + drag with a preset army formation. probably your best bet would be alt + ?. I have never tried it, but from what I hear alt seems a good way of moving your army.

2. There are two ways of doing this that I can think of right now.

-One suggestion would be choosing a city, army, or an agent on the campaign map depending on what type of character you want to check. At the top beside his/it's name are two arrows pointing either direction. Hitting these will scroll through all the charactures of that type.

-Second suggestion would be to hit the faction icon beside the end turn button to open the faction details scroll. Some where should be a button called "lists" maybe or something close to that allowing you to check the different characters in your faction. They are organized by
    City- Army- Agent- and Admiral i believe. Click on one of these to see all the different charactures of that kind, and IIRC it should show their movement points, and if it is an army or admiral, the number of men.

Hope that helps.

ps. Welcome to the ORG.