Thread: CTD's during AI turns

Default CTD's during AI turns

We realize this has been problematic for some players with the 0.80 release, and we feel that most all of these have come from cities rebelling. There was a problem with us using the "merc trick", but I don't really understand it - not so much my area. Anyway, things are really quiet yesterday and today because of the holidays, but we have ironed out those problems and some of us are trying to do some quick playtesting to see if we encounter any of these CTDs. We are trying to get it out quickly, but don't expect it in the next day or two (we are waiting for a totally spreadsheet-generated set of recruitment code - some unit changes were made and the EDB code works, but we must make sure it's all generated automatically to ensure no mistakes crept in that could cause ctd's later).

We'll try to get back to answering bug questions too after the immediate holiday break is over - but some CTD issues if they are occurring on AI turns we probably won't keep replying to, as most of them seem to be fixed (from a point of view of seeing coding that is fixed - not from the playtesting point of view, we can't say that yet). That is, we probably won't reply to all of them until the patch comes out and people start reporting on potential problems with it.

Default Re: CTD's during AI turns

No merry christmas .805 patch? Ah well, good luck.

I got a CTD in my Romani campaign during the Ptolies turn. Too bad, that campaign was getting interesting. It's about 257 BC. I know that probably doesn't help much, but it's the best I can do.
    Last edited by Constantine the Great; 12-26-2006 at 00:54.

I'm geting a crash in me curent Epirose campain in 250BC when the Sauromete end their turn.

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

You have some bracketed line spacing errors in EDB: lines 594, 673, 1879, 2644, 2658, and 2486 - the latter one at least would cause problems (I'm surprised the game starts with that one actually). Could possibly be a source of some CTDs. There may be more.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

I see the last one (lack of a space), but what are the others? I've looked and can't find them now and was wondering what at least it was that I'm looking for - spaces not present - extra spaces - etc.

Well I wish you all a Merry X-Max (both EB members and fans).

I hope that you guys can get the CTDs figured out for good.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Is the problem related to the lack of recruitment of units in rebelling territories?

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

I've not looked at the mercs or rebels.

Teleklos, yes the one you spotted was a lack of a space (usually the game complains about those on game start up) all the others are extra spaces - either 2 spaces after the opening bracket or 2 before the closing bracket (the effect of which I do not know).

Best,

Dol Guldur.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."

Merry Christmas to everybody...

I had during AI turn...I was playing as KH and i had CTD when Seleukia turns at 223 BC...
    I had CTD again when i was playing as Baktria and in my turn i had CTD at 250 BC...

were u able to get around those CTDs without having to start a new campain?

by the way guys.... any progress on fixing those CTDs by ..81????

Since you guys think you have the CTD's fixed, can you provide some clues as to how we can manually adjust things on our end since the .81 / .82 release is unknown? I've had to abort 2 campaigns after about 40 years each because of the unavoidable CTD issue. On mine, it isn't just a recruiting issue, since I've modified a host of buildings to allow the universal conscription of nubian spearmen...although it does appear to be a rebellion related bug (playing as Romans, CTD on Carthaginian turn).

One thing I did notice, on my own rebellions, is that when the city was EMPTY of units, I got a CTD consistently (100%). When a couple of units were in the city, however, the rebellion went off successfully, and my units were expelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakich
    Since you guys think you have the CTD's fixed, can you provide some clues as to how we can manually adjust things on our end since the .81 / .82 release is unknown? I've had to abort 2 campaigns after about 40 years each because of the unavoidable CTD issue. On mine, it isn't just a recruiting issue, since I've modified a host of buildings to allow the universal conscription of nubian spearmen...although it does appear to be a rebellion related bug (playing as Romans, CTD on Carthaginian turn).

One thing I did notice, on my own rebellions, is that when the city was EMPTY of units, I got a CTD consistently (100%). When a couple of units were in the city, however, the rebellion went off successfully, and my units were expelled.
    ReAlly.... hum...... my friend.... I think you just saved my Romani Campain in EB .8 from being forever replaced by the XGM. I'll put a cavarly unit in my rebelling settlement that has no unit.

I remember that my previos rebelling settlements all had 1 or 2 units in them.....

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan
    ReAlly.... hum...... my friend.... I think you just saved my Romani Campain in EB .8 from being forever replaced by the XGM. I'll put a cavarly unit in my rebelling settlement that has no unit.

I remember that my previos rebelling settlements all had 1 or 2 units in them.....
    Yeah, as the Romans I was practicing the old Viking smash, loot, burn, and run tactic on the Carthaginian coast as I was too weak (and fighting too many battles elsewhere) to hold the main Carthaginian cities. So I sacked Carthage, put everyone to the sword, demolished all the buildings, then abandoned the city to the advancing Carthaginian armies. Then my city revolted, and it crashed. Took a couple more reloads, alternate cities, and crashes before I figured out that leaving a couple of units in the city would prevent it from crashing.

Incidentally, my current Romani campaign was crashing on Carthage's turn because the town of Augila had been conquered, but had 0% public order, and only 1 unit in it. It was obviously revolting, but even with the 1 unit, was still CTD on me. It took me shrinking the population to 400, and adding a bunch of spearmen to the city (using the add_population and create_unit cheat codes) to fix that CTD. If you are experiencing an AI CTD, this might fix your problems also.
    Last edited by Drakich; 12-28-2006 at 03:00.

HURRAY TO Drakich

I was able to enjoy continuing my ROMANI campain for 4hrs TODAY!!!!!!

I send a unit of Roarii to the empty-rebelling-town, and when I hit End Turn... IT REVOLTED BACK TO THE AEDUI AND THE GAME DIDN'T CTD!!!!!!!

yeah SON

in my roman campaign I have a constant CTD during the Baktrian turn. I turned FOW off to see if I can locate a settlement causing the crash but could not find any. The Baktrian are besieging a couple of ptolemain cities and I am not able to see any settlement about to revolting. Any suggestions as how to find the possibly revolting settlement and how to fix this?

ok this post is obsolete now, I found this

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58618
    Last edited by salvo; 12-28-2006 at 12:38.

Yes, but i didn't find this stuff on the txt....

;VII) Allied rebel cities
    ;VIII) Reforms

ok I post it as it may interest anyone

I located the settlement causing the CTD during the Baktria turn. It was about to revolt. So I did what was suggested here in another thread. I added the recruit statement to all core buildings and it worked. Yet what is odd is that the settlement in question did not revolt to the rebels but to the saka faction as after turn resolution there was almost a full stack of saka units there but none pantodapoi unit I had added in the configuration file.

But I stopped playing my roman campaign anyway as I don't find it a good solution to have the same unit available for all factions.

You can put the old EDB file back in place after you have passed the turn with the CTD, then you can continue your campaign without everybody being able to recruit that unit. Once you get another ctd, you can just put the edited version back in place for one turn. Thats how I play my campaigns. You might run into 5 or 6 units of pantodapoi in a weird place, that were recruited during that turn, but that sure beats having to give up on a good campaign.
    Last edited by Oleo; 12-29-2006 at 14:34.
    EB member

yes,it's really hard to give up such a good campaign, by far the best I've had since the old shogun days. But with FOW turned off and in control of Baktria I noticed that there are quite a few settlements on the verge of revolting as the AI tends to leave them unsufficiently garrisoned. So I suppose that at the later stages of a campaign the problem will occur often. Anyway I'll spend some time now with some new mod for MTW2 and restart an EB campaign as soon as the team has delivered the new patch.

Rather than give up on my campaign, I was able to avoid my recurring CTD using the console command move_character to send a general to the revolting region. I then had to save and reload to get his available mercenaries scroll to refresh. Hire all the mercs and disband them, then teleport my guy back home. For the price of a few mnai and a random explored spot on my world map, no more CTD.

Many, many thanks to Keleknios on TWC (hope I got his name right) for this critical bit of advice on syntax:

Here's how to handle a charcter with three names, such as "Dionysios_Apameas_Rhagenaikes" - give_trait "Dionysiosapameas Rhagenaikes" "trait goes here" 1-5. You combine the first two names with the second name having all small letters. If the character has a name like "Decimvs the Deciever" you can mod him but you will need to use his original name.
    "Let us wrestle with the ineffable and see if we may not, in fact, eff it after all." -Dirk Gently, character of the late great Douglas Adams.

This probably makes no sense, but I've turned my game setting to "follow AI character" every time i've gotten this ctd and then it goes through , where as it crashes on
    "skip ai"