Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mod folder installer

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Default Re: Mod folder installer

Make sure that the files aren't set to be read-only (right-click->properties)

Um, (Heh heh) stupid question of the month: I can't find the "properties". Where is it?

Hi, I am wondering why some of the in-game movies don't play. The assassin movies and spy movies don't show but I get the new world, mongols, and timurids movies. I tried copying the fmv folder into mymod/data. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
    Um, (Heh heh) stupid question of the month: I can't find the "properties". Where is it?
    Right-click on the file, it's in the context menu at the far bottom.

@JJ2335:
    Actually all movies should be disabled. It could be that some scripted movies still show up though, I never played that far with videos disabled. You can enable all videos again by opening the config file of your mod and searching for the "movies=0" or "movies=false" entry and replacing it with "movies=1". I usually mod with movies disabled so that I don't have to skip the intro every time I start the game (which is really quite often).

Woo Hoo! That did the trick! Thanks a million!

Herm, maybe not. Every time I de-select the "read only" box every thing goes as planed, but the message telling me I can't save still pops up. I checked the properties menu again, and it automatically re-selected it! Every time I apply the changes, then check the properties, it as if I didn't do anything.

Ever herd of this before?

You did click ok after removing the read-only flag, right?

Yes, and then it asks for administrator permission (but I'm the administrator so no worries), I click continue, and off it goes. It's as if I clicked "cancel" but I didn't.

I've also tried "apply changes" but the same thing happens.

Can save games from the vanilla game be used in a mymod ?

I copied the saves from the Scots campaign I was playing , but the game CTDs just as the campaign is about to launch {right at the end of the loading processes} and the error is unspecified .
    I used the 1.21 version of your program to create the mymod environment and I can successfully start campaigns from scratch and play custom battles .

Very annoying , I was enjoying that campaign and wanted to play it with more realistic unit stats etc .

Any idea what the problem is ? Can it be remedied ?
    If not , is there a way to make the vanilla game recognize changes in the export_descr_units.txt as it seems to ignore these {I looked for a corresponding string file but didn't see one} ?

Signed: I. R. Frustrated
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Frost
    Can save games from the vanilla game be used in a mymod ?

I copied the saves from the Scots campaign I was playing , but the game CTDs just as the campaign is about to launch {right at the end of the loading processes} and the error is unspecified .
    I used the 1.21 version of your program to create the mymod environment and I can successfully start campaigns from scratch and play custom battles .

Very annoying , I was enjoying that campaign and wanted to play it with more realistic unit stats etc .

Any idea what the problem is ? Can it be remedied ?
    If not , is there a way to make the vanilla game recognize changes in the export_descr_units.txt as it seems to ignore these {I looked for a corresponding string file but didn't see one} ?

Signed: I. R. Frustrated
    Don't use saved games whenever you changed something unless you're 100% positive that the change is save-game compatible (and most things aren't). It just creates weird bugs.
    I'd suggest finishing the campaign in vanilla if you had fun with it, and from then on play with your mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
    Yes, and then it asks for administrator permission (but I'm the administrator so no worries), I click continue, and off it goes. It's as if I clicked "cancel" but I didn't.

I've also tried "apply changes" but the same thing happens.
    Uuuh, no idea. I don't think it should even ask you if you have admin rights.

Hoo boy.
    I'll go get one of my techie friends. I'll get back to you if I find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    Don't use saved games whenever you changed something unless you're 100% positive that the change is save-game compatible (and most things aren't). It just creates weird bugs.
    I'd suggest finishing the campaign in vanilla if you had fun with it, and from then on play with your mod.
    Well , that's the odd thing ; I can't think of anything I changed that wouldn't be compatable . Just some very basic unit stat changes such as increasing Dismounted English Knights {and similar units} defensive skill to 8 , Scottish Nobles defensive skill to 8 and attack to 16 and upkeep to 200 , that sort of thing .

Thanks anyway though . I'll blame Bill Gates as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Frost
    Well , that's the odd thing ; I can't think of anything I changed that wouldn't be compatable . Just some very basic unit stat changes such as increasing Dismounted English Knights {and similar units} defensive skill to 8 , Scottish Nobles defensive skill to 8 and attack to 16 and upkeep to 200 , that sort of thing .

Thanks anyway though . I'll blame Bill Gates as usual
    Why do you think unit stats would be save-game compatible? They're probably somehow saved (armor stats, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    Why do you think unit stats would be save-game compatible? They're probably somehow saved (armor stats, ...)
    They were in MTW and RTW as I remember ; it was adding or removing units that caused problems {something I haven't done yet} . Also , I've been changing them in the MyMod games I'm playing as I go and I haven't seen any problems there .

I think it must be something else . With millions of 1s and 0s arranged in complex and interdependent equations being what actually makes the game , it could be almost anything .
    Like I said , it is Bill Gates fault ! Bad Bill Gates , naughty !

Figured it out . Your program very slightly borked the map.rwm {in data/world/maps/base} so instead of a healthy 4350kb in weight with a fishing village in Nottingham it 'twas a slightly underfed 4343kb and the Nottingham coast was bare .
    The village could not be found .

Simply copping over the full map.rwm solved the problem . The Scottish campaign {not to be mistaken for the Scottish play , though one character makes a notable appearance in both} now works fine in the mod and all other modded savegames are happy with their nice new copy of map.rwm .
    The village was returned safely home and lived happily ever after .

I can have my mod and play it too .

I still like the tool .
    Last edited by Mr Frost; 08-22-2007 at 08:31.

Is it possible to have this for Kingdoms too?
    10X in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by bggeneral
    Is it possible to have this for Kingdoms too?
    10X in advance!
    No because I don't intend to buy kingdoms in the near future.

Any chance to have the same tool for Kingdoms?

Quote Originally Posted by bggeneral
    Any chance to have the same tool for Kingdoms?
    Does anyone ever read threads

hey Alpaca, I'm trying to use this to install FH's kotr-fix and stainless steel at the same time but while I can run normal save-games fine whenever I try to load a KotR (a PBM at the throne room) I get an unspecified error. Any idea why this is?

No idea, sorry.

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

What do you need to install this folder??? If you neeed any mods i dont have them, but if you dont need any, can i just install it straight away??? Also im a complete modding newbie, where do you put the folder, in the same directory as the descr_strat files???
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

It should automatically choose your M2TW installation directory. If it doesn't, enter that.

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

Excuse me, sorry for my noobiness again, but i keep saving the folder in the M2TW directory, but i cant find it, i then stopped just before i downloaded it, and had a look where it was going to be saved, i saw the other file i tried to download, it was with a folder called tgas, can anybody tell me where this is, its really starting to annoy me, and also, if i copy a descr_strat file into this folder, then edit it to unlock all of the campaigns, and save it into the folder, will it work for the whole game, or will i have to disable the one that CA put there originally???
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Excuse me for asking twice the question (in another tuts) but I would know what are the limits of Myfolder. In another tut I see you write there are problem with textures and I can't access to the link you give us. Can you explain me?
    CREDO QUIA ABSURDUM

alpaca, please check your pms if you ever view these forums!

Now, the first time I used alpaca's mod folder installer, the mymod shortcut worked. After playing around within the files etc, I decided to delete all of the "mymod" stuff. I re-did the installer, and after attempting to launch the new shortcut, it gave me a "CA_LIBS" error. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was also wondering if there was a way to clear off the other mods and their names from the Launcher... once you click "Play".

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hmm... says I do not have permission to view the page...

Home country:

Country I live in:

Countries I have visited:

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryGuy View Post
    alpaca, please check your pms if you ever view these forums!

Now, the first time I used alpaca's mod folder installer, the mymod shortcut worked. After playing around within the files etc, I decided to delete all of the "mymod" stuff. I re-did the installer, and after attempting to launch the new shortcut, it gave me a "CA_LIBS" error. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was also wondering if there was a way to clear off the other mods and their names from the Launcher... once you click "Play".

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    It means one of the libraries is now corrupted and time to totally uninsall the game and reinstall it. If you didn't keep backups of your work, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapien View Post
    Hmm... says I do not have permission to view the page...
    It means your fiewall probably has it blocked. Edit your firewall settings and try it, again.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron2004 View Post
    It means your fiewall probably has it blocked. Edit your firewall settings and try it, again.
    I doubt that is the problem, as this is the message that pops up...

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /files/files/M2TW/tools/M2TW_mod_folder_1.2.1.rar on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Home country:

Country I live in:

Countries I have visited:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast