Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assassin Spam by Milan

Heavy Metal Warlord Member Von Nanega's Avatar

Red face Assassin Spam by Milan

I am playing Denmark currently. Embroiled in a war with HRE and Milan. The Milanese have spammed LOTS of Assassins against me. My faction leader was killed by them after surviving like 10 attempts. My Heir (now faction leader) has had more attempts than I care to count. Some crazy security trait have earned to be sure. Has anyone else noticed the backstabbing filthy Milanes doing this? It has forced me to hold against HRE (who has the 2nd biggest military) and push all available troops against Milan to eradicate them to STOP the assassins.
    Cap badge of the Queens Royal Lancers

The Death or Glory Boys

Default Re: Assassin Spam by Milan

I've noticed that Milan is assassin happy too! Could be coincidence, or maybe they are just predisposed towards assassins.

However, this is an easy problem to face. Just pump out a few spies or assassins on your own -- then use them defensively and keep them parked with your own generals. It seems that the AI prefers to attempt a 15% chance assasination on one of your generals governing a town with 3 spies in place than a sabotoge attempt that might have an 80% chance. Not only will the vile Milanese assassins start dying quickly in their attempts but your own agents will level up too. You might find yourself in command of a lvl 5 or 6 assassin pretty quickly just from having him protect your own general.

Also, keep in mind that assasination chances on a general is based partly on the number of troops in his command, so be wary of leaving him out in the countryside alone in assassin infested areas.

Just an Oldfart Member Basileus's Avatar

This usally happens later on in the game and its not just the Milanese.

Yup, Milan and Venice seem to use assassins as a war machine in their own right.

A bit of a problem. Watch closely where the assassins are coming from and how many in a turn. Ever wonder why their agents come in groups of three?

CA thought it wise to give the AI an agent bonus so they actually can produce 3 in a turn!

Now I am not sure if they can produce 3 of each type of agent (total 6-9) or only 3 of one type each turn but when playing the HRE I saw Milan send out 3 assassins every turn from their capital towards me (Marseille). Ridiculous!

The only solution is exterminate!

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Note: while agents like assassins are hard to kill with your own assassins, keeping a few spies around can radically reduce their chances of success.

Also, if you don't mind using an exploit, use military units to surround and squish the assassins. (Move units to all 8 squares surrounding said agent, then another unit to where it is -> crunchity)

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    Note: while agents like assassins are hard to kill with your own assassins, keeping a few spies around can radically reduce their chances of success.

Also, if you don't mind using an exploit, use military units to surround and squish the assassins. (Move units to all 8 squares surrounding said agent, then another unit to where it is -> crunchity)

haha..that is exactly what I do. 100% kill rate.

Though I wouldn't exactly call it an exploit. First, I have to have a spy nearby to detect the assassin. After which I send my army to surround and kill him. How is that unrealistic? since it is in fact realistic, then how is it an exploit?

Knight of Santiago Member baron_Leo's Avatar

Oh yeah...assasins...how I hate them...more then Cossack musketeers (and I am a men who really hates cossack musketeers to fight against). An yes Milan and Sicily. In Italy I cannot keep a damned general 'cause he gets killed in 3-4 turns...and I have 3 spies + assasin with him. It does not help much for me. Not against 6 or seven assasins in a turn. (I really hate them - to lose a 7 star general with 2-3 security traits...it is just cool...) Russia never sends assasins, just priests (by the way I hate them too 1. assasins 2. cossack musketeers 3. orthodox priests).
    "A magyarok nyilaitól - ments meg Uram minket!" (középkori ima)

"Lord save us from the bows of the Hungarians!"
    (medieval prayer)

Official Self-Proclaimed Junior Vice President and founder of the almost existing unofficial Knights of Santiago Fan Club

Ugh....lets not talk about the Assassins in Italy...I had to restart my Sicily AAR cause Milan decides to rape all my characters with their damned assassins...grr
    + =Me

Check out my AAR for Sicily

Yeh...i've noticed that my characters in italy pick up +x to personal security traits pronto :P
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

I wonder...was Italy REALLY that bad when it came to under-handed dealings of deaths?
    + =Me

Check out my AAR for Sicily

Resident IT Guy Member BlackAxe3001's Avatar

I am playing as Milan right now and man the HRE will not f-off with their damn assassins and spies. It's quite annoying really. What I really would like to know is how they pump out spies with like 6 subterfuge each turn. Mine always have like 1 maybe 2 if I am lucky. Unrest is becoming a problem because I can't flush out their spies from my towns. Not to mention the HRE is sieging my cities, and Sicily is being gay by blockading all my ports and the Moors decided that my island holdings would be nice to have, so those are soon to be gone... Don't get me wrong Milan is fun, I love the challenge, its those damn spies and assassins that are killing me.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nutranurse
    I wonder...was Italy REALLY that bad when it came to under-handed dealings of deaths?
    One word, Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Leasing Mercenarys in Italy Member Sir_Hawkwood's Avatar

I had exactly the same problem, so I blew up his Taverns...
    Found it quite easy to spy-spam his minor citys into revolt thereafter...

Is it sure the town-parked assasins work as counter-assasins too?

Google "Borgias" and read about some of their activities in the 14th & 15th centuries. A quite extraordinary story (even for the middle-ages).

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Hawkwood
    Why didn't I think that? I KNOW about sabatoge.

The Death or Glory Boys

Any campaign in which I'm not directly confronting it is a campaign where Milan is just this obscene powerhouse. France never runs roughshod over western Europe, it's dinky Milan.

For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light. - Izzi, The Fountain

Praeparet bellum Member Quillan's Avatar

Go read The Prince, written by Machiavelli in the early 16th century, and see what he suggests that a ruler do.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

I've been running into an en mass spy-a-thon with Milan and Venice (I'm the Moors). Every turn for a while consisted of me sitting there for 5 minutes watching their spies walk out of the city, walk back in, scribble stuff down on their little note book then drop the happiness of the settlements from green to red.....

Resident IT Guy Member BlackAxe3001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General Zhukov
    Any campaign in which I'm not directly confronting it is a campaign where Milan is just this obscene powerhouse. France never runs roughshod over western Europe, it's dinky Milan.
    I noticed the same thing in other campaigns that Milan was this powerhouse, so I decided to try them out myself. At first it's kind of hard to get going if you don't rush, but once you get a stable empire going you can go anywhere you want. Milan is a blast, you should play as them sometime. Their city troops are freaking awesome considering most factions require you to train their best troops from castles; Milan is almost the opposite. At the beginning their best troops seem to come from towns. Most definitely the castle troops are better, but not by much considering the time and money you have to put into the buildings you might as well train a few extra militia units. Just don't piss off too many factions at once without having a really good economy, because it will bite you in the ass later...

Yeah, I have noticed Milan spawns assassin blitzes. I keep a spy and at least one assassin, preferably two or more, in each town/fortress to keep them from doing mischief. Usually thats enough to thwart assassins until I can hunt down their point of origin and take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAxe3001
    It's quite annoying really. What I really would like to know is how they pump out spies with like 6 subterfuge each turn. Mine always have like 1 maybe 2 if I am lucky.
    Maybe they have the Assassin's guild headquarters in one of their towns.
    The plural of anectode is not data - Anonymous Scientist

I don't believe in superstition. It brings bad luck. - Umberto Eco

Knight of Santiago Member baron_Leo's Avatar

Oh yeah...it seems to obvious to figure it out myself...damn. Thanx for the advice! Poor Italian bastards, won't have a place to drink some good wine from now on...and when I blow up some of their taverns...they just will kill the assasins themselves. Hehehe. But actually it will be good for them not having everyone drunk all the time...hmmm...this is an issue...maybe if they are sober they won't just stand there gettiing killed by my archers and artillery...hmmmm
    "A magyarok nyilaitól - ments meg Uram minket!" (középkori ima)

"Lord save us from the bows of the Hungarians!"
    (medieval prayer)

Official Self-Proclaimed Junior Vice President and founder of the almost existing unofficial Knights of Santiago Fan Club

Did it. Turned the towns of Milan into sabotage hell. That slowed the Assassins down! Plus with spies in them I can plan for the final Milan kill.

The Death or Glory Boys

Leasing Mercenarys in Italy Member Sir_Hawkwood's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Assassin Spam by Milan

Good work Von Nanega!

Now, try and play the next few turns without talking to your screen in a fake and all so eviiil Saurauman accent...

A most difficult task, after so much sabotage...

Many thanks
    SJH

Good work Von Nanega!

Now, try and play the next few turns without talking to your screen in a fake and all so eviiil Saurauman accent...

A most difficult task, after so much sabotage...

Many thanks
    SJH
    BuHahahahahahahaha

The Death or Glory Boys

In my current Spanish Campaign I worked through the Milan spy/assassin spam and now Milan is spamming warships galore. They are building alot of fleets and some of the fleets comprise 15 warships in a stack. crazy...crazy....crazy....

Personally I'm loving it. In my Spanish campaign my Crusader King charged north into France with his stack full of Knights of Santiago and dismounted Footknights. This man had glory and honour behind him. He had helped his father drive the Moors out of Iberia and "bring the Portugese back into the fold" to win the respect of his people, and had led the Crusade against the excommunicated French castle at Toulouse, becoming a Knight of Santiago in the process. In game terms, he had mega command stars, authority, piety, etc. Alas, the Spanish lands in France are a dangerous place to be, for the agents of Milan and France roamed freely around, and after several years on the frontier and surviving countless assasination attempts my great King was reduced to a cowering, shivering wreck of a man. Spanish assasins powered out of Leon, the "City of Death", home of the infamous Assassins guild, to wage a subterfuge war against the European powers.

And, while all this was going on I was heavy absolutely massive Naval battles around the Corsican islands with Milan. I had to put in a determined effort to sweep their numerous and large navies from the sea so I could land my naval invasion on the islands, and then it was tough enough maintaining naval superiority to ensure the invasion of mainland Italy went smoothly.

These are two aspects of the game that were completely unitilised pre-patch, and it's certainly made my campaigns more interesting.
    Current Campaign

Dont get me wrong. I'm not complaining. Its just funny crazy how the game AI switched to spamming Milanese fleets once I dealt with their spies/assassins. Milan has about 20 fleets in the Central Mediterranean. Some are single units. some are 3 or 4 units and some are 10 and 15units. And they all travel as one huge pack/taskforce.

They'll zip around from Tunis to Genoa (both I own), to Naples (I own), to Palermo(I dont own), and over to Tolouse (I own), and Corsica and Sardinia (I own), over to Rome(Papal States owned), and back again. Just zipping all over that area in one huge pack. I'm building up my three Mediterranean fleets to deal with them at the moment. I plan to hit them in a big flanking naval engagement. It should be fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast