Default Re: nVidia video card

My M2TW PC:

AMD Athlon 2x 64 3800+ (2.0ghz)
    Gforce 7300 LE 256mb
    1Gb RAM
    19" CRT Monitor 1280x1024

it runs very nice

hi im having problems with the battles it really slow even though everything else runs fine i have 2.8ghz 0.99gb of ram and i have a geforce 5200 256mb graphics card i have a dell e310 and i read that it only can take up to a geforce 5500

What sort of settings are you trying to run on?

The 5200 isn't a great card and it'll have a lot of trouble trying to run at high or even medium quality at a decent resolution.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

even if everything is on low its still really slow but works fine on the campain map i was wondering if anyone knows if a dell e310 can take a higher graphics card

The campaign map doesn't take much power to run...

My personal opinion is that dropping a better card in may lead to you discovering that the CPU/Ram/Whatever can't take it either...
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Well the graphics upgrade depends on multiple factors.

For instance, can your power supply unit handle the upgrade?

Secondly, what sort of slot do you have? (AGP, or PCI-E?)

Lastly, how much do you have to spend?

Just a word of warning about Dells. They use proprietary parts on most of their models, which means that you can't upgrade your system without buying directly from Dell. In a few cases, Dell has parts that appear to be industry standard, use the same looking industry standard connections, but if you drop anything in but a Dell part your motherboard will fry and your PSU will actually catch on fire (literally). Dell is a naughty company that encompasses everything most people hate about capitalism, but that's another discussion.

Check on the Dell forums (www.dell.com) and post your computer model and what you want to upgrade. There are a few folks on there who really know what they're talking about (usually the people with 20,000 plus posts.), and they'll help you figure out what to upgrade and what you can't.
    If I wanted to be [jerked] around and have my intelligence insulted, I'd go back to church.
    -Bill Maher

Thanks for all your replies.

I think I am settled on getting Geforce7600GS as I am not a hardcore gamer at all and I had to reconsider my budget a little. The 7600 should serve me well I am sure.

I also would be getting a 19" LCD monitor so to go with my system specs I hope medieval 2 will run OK on at least medium quality if not the best quality.

Resident IT Guy Member BlackAxe3001's Avatar

It sounds like the 7600 is the way to go then, at least for you. I should run m2tw on medium settings just fine. Just keep them shadows turned down, they seem to eat up fps like none other.

I really would advise you to post up on those forums though - dell are notorious for incompatibilities in their products

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123