Thread: getting the music files.

Default getting the music files.

How can i get the music files into mp3s so i can listen to them outside of the game? there like in a dat file or something...

Default Re: getting the music files.

Quote Originally Posted by TildorofEndoris
    How can i get the music files into mp3s so i can listen to them outside of the game? there like in a dat file or something...
    The special edition of M2TW included a CD with the music. As to extracting the music from the game itself I am not sure.
    Playing M2:TW and R:TW on an Intel Mac!

Places I have lived:

Places I have visited:

"The ingenuity of the device blinds us to its utter uselessness."
    (anonymous British civil servant, circa 1940)

(www.3dflags.com)

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm
    The special edition of M2TW included a CD with the music. As to extracting the music from the game itself I am not sure.

It's odd, but I have yet to recognize any of the music on the CD as being in the game and vice-versa. The CD has too much repetative tympany drum music on it for my tastes

There are at least a couple of pieces in the game that I would love to have-- such as the music that seems to only play when one is in Spain and the haunting vocal that plays during the credits, but these are definitely not on the CD.

I need to do a search since I sure someone here has figured out how to do it.

Cheers
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

i'll google it sometime i guess...

I have found that if you get Audacity, a freeware program, you can extract the music from the game. I have made a nice collection of mp3 files that I play on my iPod.

Places I have lived:

Places I have visited:

(www.3dflags.com)

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Here's a link with instructions, if it helps:

http://total-war-campaign-chronicles...ing-audio.html
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

I don't really mean to rain on anyone's parade... but I can't help but ask: is it actually legal to remove the music from the game and listen to it outside of the game? I'd think the software license would permit you only to use the music files as part of the game. Compare it to the other game files: Would you get in trouble if you removed the trait file, or maybe part of the executable, and used it for something else? You sure would, because you don't own the rights to that material, the people who made it do. Likewise you don't own the rights to the music, and as far as I know the license agreement only permits usage of any part of the game (including the music, presumably) for the purpose of running the game. Just because it's music doesn't change the fact that it's not owned by you, and is as much a protected part of the game as any other original materials CA has developed for the game, including visuals, text, and code...

That said, I suppose it's always possible CA has given consent for the music to have freer use, or possibly made it public domain. If that is the case, it will be the first I've heard of it, though I'm certainly not beyond being uninformed. It just doesn't seem really likely, that's all.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer
    It's odd, but I have yet to recognize any of the music on the CD as being in the game and vice-versa. The CD has too much repetative tympany drum music on it for my tastes
    You either have the wrong CD or haven't played the game much. It's the exact same music. Listen to track 21. It's the music that plays when you engage an enemy army and the "win bar" shows. You can't have missed that.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Quote Originally Posted by Foz
    I don't really mean to rain on anyone's parade... but I can't help but ask: is it actually legal to remove the music from the game and listen to it outside of the game? I'd think the software license would permit you only to use the music files as part of the game. Compare it to the other game files: Would you get in trouble if you removed the trait file, or maybe part of the executable, and used it for something else? You sure would, because you don't own the rights to that material, the people who made it do. Likewise you don't own the rights to the music, and as far as I know the license agreement only permits usage of any part of the game (including the music, presumably) for the purpose of running the game. Just because it's music doesn't change the fact that it's not owned by you, and is as much a protected part of the game as any other original materials CA has developed for the game, including visuals, text, and code...

That said, I suppose it's always possible CA has given consent for the music to have freer use, or possibly made it public domain. If that is the case, it will be the first I've heard of it, though I'm certainly not beyond being uninformed. It just doesn't seem really likely, that's all.
    I believe that extracting the files for your own personal use is permitted. However, if you were to make a CD and sell it then it would be in violation of copyright. This is the case with ordinary music CDs. If I play the game just to hear the music, is that wrong? So, if I make it easier for me to hear the music, is that also wrong.

If I were to extract the files and post them on this forum, then it would be in copyright violation as well. It would be assumed that others who have not purchased the game would then get access to the music.

Then there is the question of making video files and posting them on YouTube. Does this violate copyright? Or does it advertise the game, creating more sales. Fan sites often have disputes with the topic of their fandom. Star Wars fan sites often use copyrighted material and were threatened will lawsuits. But, I have heard that these threats stopped when Lucas and others realized the fan sites were promoting their movies, books, etc. for free.

Bottom line, I believe is this: you bought the game, you can use it in any way you like (including modding) as long as you do not make a profit from such (ie. copying and distributing).

Places I have lived:

Places I have visited:

(www.3dflags.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorm
    I believe that extracting the files for your own personal use is permitted. However, if you were to make a CD and sell it then it would be in violation of copyright. This is the case with ordinary music CDs. If I play the game just to hear the music, is that wrong? So, if I make it easier for me to hear the music, is that also wrong.
    Yeah, it may be. Depends on what rights you are explicitly granted by the EULA. EULAs are notoriously strict on what you are actually allowed to do with the game/files, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

If I were to extract the files and post them on this forum, then it would be in copyright violation as well. It would be assumed that others who have not purchased the game would then get access to the music.
    I'm not actually sure they could make any charges stick to you for that. Posting things or linking to them is not criminal: the people downloading them that don't own the game are committing crimes, but generally you are not by simply making something available. I've actually seen this on the emulator scene sometimes: things like system bios files can apparently be linked freely on the web, and it's entirely on the user that DLs them to make sure they are putting them to legal use. In general if something could have a potential legal use (in your case, that forum members owning the game may download the music files) then making it available is not a criminal act. Actively sending it to someone that can't legally have it, however, probably is. I know... dicey.

Then there is the question of making video files and posting them on YouTube. Does this violate copyright? Or does it advertise the game, creating more sales. Fan sites often have disputes with the topic of their fandom. Star Wars fan sites often use copyrighted material and were threatened will lawsuits. But, I have heard that these threats stopped when Lucas and others realized the fan sites were promoting their movies, books, etc. for free.
    Well, this is a case of the company coming to its senses and simply deciding not to press charges. Using copyrighted material without the owner's expressed written consent is still illegal... it's just that Lucas now decides not to press charges for it as he's not actually being injured by what they're doing, nor losing money, and is actually benefiting.

Bottom line, I believe is this: you bought the game, you can use it in any way you like (including modding) as long as you do not make a profit from such (ie. copying and distributing).
    Actually you probably bought the rights to use the game, NOT the game. Most of the time you have no ownership of anything at all, simply a license to use it. BIG difference. You can use it in the exact way(s) the EULA allows, and nothing more without falling outside the law. Thus my concern. Most companies would never care, but the fact that you aren't charged doesn't necessarily mean you're not doing something you could be charged for...

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

From my point of view, this topic is fine as long as no links to the music are posted.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer