Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Set up MTW2 for modding

Default Re: HowTo: Set up MTW2 for modding

Hey alpaca, you might want to mention that your mod folder installer doesn't delete or rename descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt. I know you mention this when you talk about unpacking the files, but it's not clear that this is still required if you use your installer (and it took me a while to work out why my modded version kept crashing ).

Apart from that the installer is excellent - thanks heaps for putting it together!

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grinningman
    Hey alpaca, you might want to mention that your mod folder installer doesn't delete or rename descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt. I know you mention this when you talk about unpacking the files, but it's not clear that this is still required if you use your installer (and it took me a while to work out why my modded version kept crashing ).

Apart from that the installer is excellent - thanks heaps for putting it together!
    Hum, maybe I'll just write "DELETE THIS" in bold ;)
    I didn't say it's optional though, so why didn't you delete it?
    Last edited by alpaca; 01-17-2007 at 18:22.

Doh i might sound stupid, but ive got a problem whith using this guide.

So my steps were :

1. installed v 1.1 --> ran unpack_all.bat ---> deleted descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt in m2tw/data

2. Converted text files using script (installed python ---> unpacked alpaca's MTW2 .strings.bin converter into m2tw/data/text directory and ran it

3. downloaded, ran the Mod folder installer , and selected mine MTW2 directory as the installation directory, chosen all of the componets (actually it was default setting) to install ---> installed.

4. Now there was the problem - tried to test.... :
    - opened text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and changed {London}London to {London}Supadupacity

- started game using mymod.bat (cant see extension, so its only mymod for me) ---> game loaded ---> started English campaing ---> London is still London there :(((

QUESTION: what did i wrong here ???

Quote Originally Posted by dzzirt
    - opened text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and changed {London}London to {London}Supadupacity

Edited this file both in mymod directory and in normal one - still doesnt work :(

Tried to create and edit mymod.cfg aswell - doesnt work, but it worked when i added
    [io]
    file_first = 1

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error

to the top of original medieval2.preference.csfg :/

think ive messed up with extension of mine mymod.cfg file (so it is actually mymod.cfg.txt now or smthing like that)

How to work with extensions in windows?? So i can find it out

Quote Originally Posted by dzzirt
    How to work with extensions in windows?? So i can find it out
    Right-click on the file and see Properties. There you see full name of the file and can edit it.

You might also want to set the extensions visible all the time:

In Explorer go to 'Tools > Folder options...'
    On 'View'-tab uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'
    I'm not sure if you need to click on 'Apply to all folders', but it wont hurt.

---

I'd have a question of the mod folders. I'm a bit confused, full day of reading these forums and all i got was a broken mod folder in the end :)

I followed all the way through Step 3 of this tutorial and got a working mod folder set up. I edited a starting leader of a campaign, traits and name, got it working just fine.

Now i would like to make new traits. So i need to tamper with the .string.bin files. But when i unpack the packs into my modfolder, edit the needed text files for my liking, and delete the original .string.bin's, the game wont start.

Trace logs show that the game crashes when loading 'filter.san' file, and atleast once got past that and crashed when loading 'preferenses\player.txt'. Which both seem like they have nothing to do with the crash, since i havent touched them at all.

Well, my traits prolly crash the thing, but thats another matter.

What i'd like to know is if this is the right way to do things?

Do tutorial Step 3 (setup the modfolder)
    Unpack packs to modfolder
    Unpack .string.bin's and edit them
    Delete the originals
    Game generates new bins and voila...

I wouldnt want to mess up the games own data folder with unpacking there, and i read somewhere that the game wont even generate new string.bins from text files in its own folders. So i tought the modfolder was the way to go.

Geez, this came out long. Anyways, any advice will be appreciated :)

Hi

I downloaded the patch and extracted.

Sorry if this is a silly question.........to change unit stats for the main camapiuagn would I go into:

medieval2totalwar/data/export_descr_unit.txt

Or does the path need to be different? I tried to edit one or two and nothing changed.

Thanks
    WE WILL RIDE INTO ROME!

Red face Re: HowTo: Set up MTW2 for modding

Hi i tryed to set up mtw2 I DO EVERYTHING FINE AND I TRYED TO RENAME LONDON INTO THE MOLOCH. WHAT TO DO NOW PLEASE

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

I've got everything working, the mymod thing, everything's unpacked, I can edit everything now. BUT, the .bin to .txt converter is asking me a question I can't answer.

I downloaded the Python thing, and have the entire folder of the converter in data/text. Now, every time I select the convert_all.bat it asks me to select a program to run it from. I browsed around and selected every .exe in Python, but nothing's working. Anything to help?

-Zain

Quote Originally Posted by Zain
    I've got everything working, the mymod thing, everything's unpacked, I can edit everything now. BUT, the .bin to .txt converter is asking me a question I can't answer.

I downloaded the Python thing, and have the entire folder of the converter in data/text. Now, every time I select the convert_all.bat it asks me to select a program to run it from. I browsed around and selected every .exe in Python, but nothing's working. Anything to help?

-Zain
    I'm having exactly the same problem.

Strange, now it works!

Zain, keep trying. I had exactly the same and now it works (I didn't do anything)

Since I am not an "advanced user", is keeping a clean copy of the contents of the data folder backed up an effective alternative to editing unpack_all.bat?

Same issue as the others with london... followed instructions explicitly, twice. You've gotta be missing something here... it's not working. Further, I'm getting CTD everytime I try to start a battle in either the mod or the vanilla game.

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

I got everything working!

So can I run the vanilla game using the io.file_first method??!
    Last edited by adembroski; 02-26-2007 at 01:56.

Issue resolved for me...

to those having problems getting the London named changed, make sure your config file is named 'mymod.cfg' and not 'mymod.cfg.cfg'. If mymod.bat can't find mymod.cfg, it will grab the default preferences (even so far as to create it's own preferences file if one is not present). Then it's running the vanilla game and your modifications wont show up.

I have a question concerning converting the text files...

To have a change noticed in the Text folder, must I first delete the BIN file that coordinates with it? ex: text.txt and text.bin?

Thanks, this isn't a big deal, so take your time.

-Zain

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Yes you need to delete the .string.bin file, the game will then make a new one from your modified .txt file.

As i have learned, you wanna ask questions in the questions forum... people don't really look for them here.

My target answerers are the people on this specific thread. Thanks for the advice though, but I know what I'm doing.

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

I been looking in to the approach between Mymod Folder and IO file first.

And, (correct me if my asumption if false), Mymod folder is a nice "overide" way of making and distributing certain mods, yet IO file first is more suited for Conversions and Larger mods.

Yes?
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

No, if a mod folder worked with all files, it should be the preferred method of distributing any mod because it doesn't disturb the original data and you can have multiple mods installed at the same time, whereas file_first is "messy".

So, I hope that after the 2nd patch, I can finally forget about file_first and simply propose using a mod folder to everybody.

Smile Re: HowTo: Set up MTW2 for modding

I used to architect/design/write software for a living, so forgive me for raising the following issue and being so verbose.

By the way, are you a unix/linux guy (use/ instead of MS \in your directory/path descriptions ).

I believe I've done as instructed in this tutorial, but game refuses to startup.

I have a full backup installation on a seperate drive which is the starting point for me. Copied the whole darn thing.

Game .exe and all files in f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\ directory and associated subtrees just as in original install. Game runs just fine when dblclick medieval2.exe (can call up/load save games etc.).

I've created a f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods folder and replaced mymod references in your tutorial with mods.

Ran the unpacker and then deleted the descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt files as instructed.

So now I have two \data trees.

The original one f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\data and the one I'll be using for mods in f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data which contains all the unpacked text and strings.bin files as well as the data/world/maps/base and data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign (sic).

Furthermore, I've copied the full fmv and world subtrees from the original \data.

So now I have a full set of files and directory subtrees in mods\data (including animations, banners,...,fmv,...,vegetation, world). I've taken the original strings.bin files that where generated by unpacker in \text subdirectory and subsequently converted by your strings.bin converter and moved them to \text\OrigStringsBin. The unconverted strings.bin files I left in \text.

Aside: By the way, it looks like M2SBE strings.bin file manipulation tool only works with the same files your tool does. Have an email in to author asking for clarification.

At this point, I edited the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt as directed and attempted to run the game, but alas no luck. I've dblchecked everything and all seems fine.

Here is the error log generated while trying to run game.

14:47:20.183 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    14:47:20.183 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec 5 2006 version development ===
    14:47:20.243 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    14:47:20.283 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    14:47:20.363 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    14:47:20.414 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    14:47:20.454 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    14:47:20.484 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack

Could it be that I have too much stuff in mods\data? Should I move some of this somewhere else? Wanted full set of files in one place for easy modification.

If you edited imperial_campaign_settlement_names.txt but didn't delete the .strings.bin file that might be the culprit.

And I'm not really a Linux guy (I use it at the uni but at home I mostly use my PC for playing or modding and you do that under Windows), but in Unix environments (as well as in programming) you have to actually enter pathnames a lot more often than you usually do under windows, so I got used to the forward slashes

Smile Re: HowTo: Set up MTW2 for modding

"If you edited imperial_campaign_settlement_names.txt but didn't delete the .strings.bin file that might be the culprit."

As I stated in my earlier post I did move all .strings.bin files that were coverted by the strings.bin converter into a subdirectory of \text called
    \text\OrigStringsBin.

I have a feeling that I may have more files than I need or maybe should have.

Here is a another representation of the directory tree and files. Maybe you can shed some light on this.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\

1) contains medieval2.exe and all other game files in original install. I also have mods.bat, mods.cfg (analogous to mymod.bat/.cfg) added by me.

2) contains a full directory subtree as in game original install
    (\data, \logs, \miles .... \tools) I also have \mods subdirectory added by me.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods contains the following:

a subdirectory \data and some text files containing modding ideas (no name overlap). It also contains an empty \packs folder after I tried to run mod.bat.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data contains the following:

subdirectories containing the unpacked files generated by the unpacker.
    (\animations ... \world) plus the games original \fmv and \worlds subdirectories and their files and subtrees.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data\text contains the following:

files generated by strings.bin converter (includes imperial_campaign_settlement_names.txt) plus those strings.bin files not converted. All the original unconverted versions of the converted files were placed in a subdirectory of text called OrigStringsBin

(f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data\text\OrigStringsBin)

I must be missing something obvious as this can't be that hard.

TIA

Did you try using my modfolder installer? The minimal setup for a mod folder is:
    data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
    data/world/maps/base
    data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign

You could also try it with that and then simply add to it what you mod (that's my usual approach).

I just noticed this and might be the root of an issue someone above had...

The mod folder installer does not create the preferences file, only the folder, batch file, and shortcut. The part in the mod folder section should be edited to point this out, by taking the preferences file part out of the hidden section.

Quote Originally Posted by adembroski
    I just noticed this and might be the root of an issue someone above had...

The mod folder installer does not create the preferences file, only the folder, batch file, and shortcut. The part in the mod folder section should be edited to point this out, by taking the preferences file part out of the hidden section.
    Hmm it should create the cfg file, too. You'll have to have a vanilla m2 config in the folder though, as it copies that. Otherwise you could check if a file called modfixer.bat is created and try to run that.

can i edit cost and stats ? and how to?

I also have the same question!
    Please help in editing stats!
    I've tried to rewrite the attack and hit points of some units in export_descr_unit, but nothing have changed yet.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast