Thread: How can I make the Island of Lesbos settlement-compatable???

Default How can I make the Island of Lesbos settlement-compatable???

The Island of Lesbos, a pretty small island south of Asia Minor... I am trying to make a settlement on it, but it keeps crashing. Is it impossible to put a settlement on here without changing the ground type or something? How can I make it possible to add a city to?

Oh, and if you know how to do the "show_err" thing, that could help me, too. Where do I add "show_err" into the shortcut thing??

Please answer as quick as you can, and thanks in advance!

EDIT: In case it helps someone help me, I'd just like to say that when I'm saying it crashes, it's crashing to the game menu, not the desktop.

2ND EDIT: Oh, and do I have to delete "map.rwm" from the "base" folder?
    Last edited by SSJVegetaTrunks; 12-29-2006 at 04:03.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: How can I make the Island of Lesbos settlement-compatable???

Re -show_err, right click on your desktop shortcut you use to launch game, select properties, in 'Target' line type
    space minus show underscore err
    after end " finished result should look like:
    "X:\xxxx\xxxx\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err

(you got this far without that one!)

As you're going back to menu you should get show err message now when you quit - how helpful it will be is another matter - you're quite likely just to get a couldn't create settlement message which can have variety of causes!

Re: your island, check on corrected_regions.tga (in .exe level folder) that the city pixel is actually appearing on land mass, if not you might need to make island bigger in map_heights.tga - to get that used you need to delete map_heights.hgt from campaign folder (if there) and base (assuming you're on 1.5 / 1.6)

You only need to delete the map.rwm in folder that contains your map .tgas (thats where new one will be generated) but you may as well delete / rename the one in base anyway. Also if you launch and get kick back to menu you will probably have generated a new map.rwm you need to keep deleting that each time you make change.

Could be that, that island has invalid ground type for settlement - basically you can't put city on anything troops can't walk on - impassable forest or mountains - and you're meant to have some fertile ground type for every region.
    I can't visualise where you mean at the moment if its still not working can you screenie the map_regions and point it out?
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-29-2006 at 08:35.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Also an island with cliffs all around it can't have a settlement. You'll get a "settlement is on invalid tile" message with show_err in this case.
    It's not a map.

I tried yesterday to see if troops can walk on the Island, and they can't. How do I fix this? And the Island I'm talking about is this one:

What's wrong with it?
    Last edited by SSJVegetaTrunks; 12-29-2006 at 17:39.

Thanks, the show_err thing is working now! I'll try it again and see what it gives me as an error.

EDIT: Allright, I got "could not create settlement at script line 3077" which is my new settlement's script line. Hopefully you can help!
    Last edited by SSJVegetaTrunks; 12-29-2006 at 18:13.

Allright, to make this easier, I'm going to give you a copy of all of the sections of text files I changed to make this.

descr_strat:

Code:
    }

settlement
    {
    	level large_town
    	region Lesvos

year_founded 0
    	population 3900
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator macedon
    	building
    	{
    		type core_building governors_villa
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type barracks muster_field
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type market market
    	}
    	building
    	{
    		type hinterland_farms farms
    	}
    }
    and

Code:
    character	Mantios, general, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, , x 153, y 57 
    army
    unit		greek hoplite militia				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		greek hoplite militia				exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit		merc rhodian slingers				exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    descr_regions:

Code:
    Lesvos
    	Kalloni
    	greek_cities
    	Lesbians
    	200 31 200
    	slaves, timber, olive_oil, grain
    imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names:

Code:
    {Lesvos}			Lesvos
    {Kalloni}			Kalloni
    I really hope someone can help.
    Last edited by SSJVegetaTrunks; 12-29-2006 at 18:27.

One last thing, I'm using RTW 1.5.

Look at map_ground_types, that island has got some low mountains around it (brownish colour) change all the ground_type on that island to the olive green its already got some of (which is fertile ground type)

See if that works..
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-29-2006 at 19:10.
    Download the:

All of the ground type, or just the mountains?

YES! IT WORKED! Thank you so much! Now I just need to make sure it will work if I add a port onto the Island!

EDIT: Yep, it worked. It kind of looks funny since the port and the city are right next to each other, but it's fine. Now I just have to add the region to one of the merc pools, then I'll make settlements on another Island or two, then I'll go on to my next goal - making my own island!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by SSJVegetaTrunks; 12-29-2006 at 21:41.

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

Don't forget to describe the rebels for the region so that the game knows what to call them and what units they can have if the settlement goes rebel. I don't know if the game would CTD without them but it might. You need to add them to descr_rebel_factions, rebel_faction_descr_enums and text\rebel_faction_descr.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

Yeah, I know, thanks. I just made a settlement on the strip of land to the right of Athens, I'm just about to test it.

EDIT: And it worked! Now I'll just find a guide that explains how to make my own island. Thank you everyone!
    Last edited by SSJVegetaTrunks; 12-29-2006 at 22:43.

Hi, sorry for all of the questions, but I can't find a guide that explains how to just make an island. Is there one?

EDIT: Well, I'm going to try to make an island... I still don't fully understand which tga files I have to edit. And if I have a pixel at 242, 242 in map_heights, does that mean it's supposed to be at 121, 121 in map_regions?
    Last edited by SSJVegetaTrunks; 12-30-2006 at 02:37.

Not sure about guide - probably somewhere, anyway:

To put island on map you can just edit map_heights.tga (you definitely need to have deleted / re-named map_heights.hgt in campaign folder and base)
    Just add area you want in a greyscale colour RGB 1,1,1 or lighter. You can play with heights to get hills later.

Delete map.rwm and launch game - that will create a corrected_regions.tga for you in RTW folder (with .exe's) that will have just assigned the island to what it thinks is nearest region, if you copy that and re-name it as your map_regions file you can change the ownership of the island to whichever region you want - or use it for new region when you alter the text files.

Re: getting heights and regions maps to align, its not quite as simple as 242 = 121 because of the 2x +1 pixel difference (though obviously quite close) If you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements and resize a copy of the map_heights to the map_regions size using 'nearest neighbor' resizing it will show you the correct coast shape the game uses (PaintShopPro resizing distorts it slightly)

You haven't done anything to map_ground_types yet so island will just appear as default fertile ground type in game. To set that use layers / selection process in your image editing program to get area same size as in map heights and add the ground types you want.
    Download the:

Thank you, that sounds a little simpler than I thought it would be. I will try it later.

So once correct_regions is made, do I just have to rename it to map_regions and then that part is done?

It has to replace the map_regions in your campaign or base folder.

(Using that is just shortcut way of getting heights and map_regions aligned - if you do full new map you will actually have to draw at least rough outline of map_regions with city pixels in valid locations)
    Download the:

Uh oh! After starting RTW to make the corrected_map_regions file, I decided I'd check out the opening for the prologue, since I hadn't seen it in so long. I exited out after watching it, and then deleted the normal map_regions, put corrected_regions in it's place, renamed it to map_regions, then I took a look at it. It's the prologue's map_regions... Not the campaign's. I tried to start up the game again and start the imperial campaign, but it's crashing to the menu. It can't read any of the settlements... Do I have to copy the map_regions file from my backed-up RTW and try to make the exact same changes I did with the modded one, or is there another way to do it?

Oh well, that was a snag that hadn't occurred to me, sorry! - I should also have mentioned to take back ups of your modded files before you make next change ! (and do actually look at corrected_regions before you use it)

I think you will have to go back to the vanilla map_regions and re-do changes, (only compensation is you've probably learnt lesson about back-ups before you start on complete new map!!!!)
    Last edited by Makanyane; 12-30-2006 at 19:39.
    Download the:

Lucky for me, I only made 3 cities, and 2 of them were islands, so it isn't too hard to make the borders, and I think I remember the borders between the original Ireland city and the own that I made. I made another one before, too, but it was just some stupid one that I called "city" in the region "region" so I'll just delete all of the files about that one.

I'm trying to re-scale it, but it's 1 pixel off from 254 by 155 either way. It seems it wants to be either 254 by 156 or 253 by 155. Which should I set it to, or is there another way to do it? (I'm using GIMP).

My rtw map_regions says its 255 x 156 and so does terrain text. Maybe there's something funny in the way GIMP gives sizes?

Assume you meant rescaling heights for comparison?, you should try and get it to correct size - isn't there some sort of constrain / don't constrain proportions tick box in gimp?, there is in everything else.
    Download the:

I don't know, I don't know anything about GIMP really. I'm on my laptop now, but I'm pretty sure it was 254 by 155. I'll check later.