Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: The M2TW hardware thread: please post all hardware queries here

Default Re: The M2TW hardware thread: please post all hardware queries here

Oh well.

Thanks for your time.

As a complete hardware dunce, I've managed to check out my motherboard (K7VT4+) specs and seem would seem I'm limited to AGP8X/4X compatible cards. What's the chances of getting a card that will work?
    Last edited by Critical Bill; 11-25-2008 at 20:50. Reason: upgrade query

Right then, so I upgraded RAM and graphic card and got M2 today :)

Battles are so laggy as to be unplayable - I'm currently downloading the 1.2 patch and will try Faction Heir's tuturial for removing lag, but could someone tell me whether there's still a problem with my specs?

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: VIA
    System Model: K7VT4A+
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
    Memory: 1536MB RAM
    Page File: 485MB used, 2439MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x9596)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9596&SUBSYS_00281787&REV_00
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB

Much appreciated, and Happy Christmas.
    Last edited by Critical Bill; 12-25-2008 at 20:18.

Should I be able to max this @ 1680x1050?

SPECS (the only ones that matter):
    E4500 @ 2.2ghz
    2.0 GB DDR2 667 RAM (G.SKILL)
    HD4850 @ stock
    Currently playing: The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles, The Elder Scrolls III: Bloodmoon, Medieval 2: Total war, Civilization IV: Colonization, Fallout 3, Fallout 2, Star Wars Empire at War: Forces of Corruption, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Spore, Call of Duty: World at War

Specs: E4500 @ 2.2GHZ, ASUS P5L 1394-VM, 2.0 GB DDR2 667 G.SKILL RAM, ASUS HD4850 w/DuOrb

Anyone have any idea if this will play M2 ok? low settings are fine for me..

Dell 450
    XEON CPU 4.0GHZ (2x2GHz)
    1GB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB AGP8 Graphic Card

I'm not great with the hardware side off stuff, I would really apreciate the help.

Thanks ...

PS: Conquer or die fellas!!!

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

I think this is the correct place for this, I am running

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: Inspiron 530
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
    Memory: 2036MB RAM
    Page File: 1301MB used, 3008MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

and monitor res at 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz).

with a built in graphics card pants i Know, What I wanna know if the Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 1GB is worth buying to play MTW2, will it run?

cheers in advance guys.
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

Hello!
    i had to uninstall the game for problems, i tried reinstalling it and after accepting the license agreement it wont let me install it because my C:/ hard drive is too full! I have 3 hard drives , one of wich has more than 600 gigas but it wont allow me to choose!! I remember i had the choice when i installed it the first time, why not anymore?
    Ps i have the gold edition
    Last edited by Cyrus; 01-10-2010 at 23:54.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Is it possible to make MW2 to work on a Windows Vista? Thanks.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes.

I am trying M2TW on my widows vista and while the campaign map works fine when i try to fight the battle it lags like crazy. I have 2 gigs of RAM. Do you think the problem is widows vista, my video card or what?

Where's your head at? Member Galain_Ironhide's Avatar

Not that I am the most technical minded member here, but you might want to let us know your computers specs and then someone may be able to answer your question. Windows Vista works fine with M2TW btw.

Graphics card could be the problem though.
    - 'Let's finish the game.' - Josiah Gordon "Doc" Scurlock

Read my AAR - BC Kingdom of Jerusalem - For Faith or Greed

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm planning on buying a new computer in the near future, and was wondering if someone could give me a general idea of what I'd need in order to run MII:TW on it's highest settings, so I could get an idea of what the most I'd want is. Thanks in advance.

A lot of the most basic gaming computers nowadays could probably run it on its highest settings. Can you tell of us of your price range? Normally I'd just max everything out I could but that ran me up quite a bit (probably well out of your price range, heh). I personally can run E:TW and N:TW on their highest settings so its prob a bit overkill for you, if all you want is M2:TW

My own computer is a laptop and its basic specs are in my sig (ordered from www.avadirect.com). Avadirect has newer models of Clevos, as well as MSI's, ASUS's, Compals and others online.
    Last edited by Bilgediver; 08-23-2010 at 22:17.
    Clevo D901C, 17.1" 1920x1200 LCD, Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800, Dual nVidia 9800M GT w/ SLI, 4 GB Kingston RAM, 3 200 GB IDD's

Reporting in...

I bought one of the new 13" Macbook Pro laptops, and have it set up with a dual boot of OSX and Windows 7. It has the new Sandy Bridge Intel chipset (HD 3000 GPU). I installed Medieval 2 a few days ago. It defaulted all video setting to everything on high. It runs pretty smooth with those settings. I wasn't testing for high framerate, but instead trying to produce choppiness. It ran pretty good, but hot. I'll likely end up turning down some of the settings in an attempt to keep it a little cooler.

I have a HP 14"Notebook andwanted to know if I could run M2TW and if it does what settings would you recommend?

Specs:

Windows 64 Bit
    AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M Processor
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    AMD Radeon 6520M GPU

Thanks

I just wanted to know if my computer has enough power to run the game. I don't need the best graphics possible but it can't be so laggy that battles just don't work in single player.

Operating System: Win XP Home
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz
    Memory: 1014MB RAM

I have an on board Video card and I know I will need to upgrade it inorder to play this game but was unsure of what type of video card to buy. Would love some advice.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Hi all.

Just took delivery of my new PC - Alienware X51 (I know...) - first gaming PC I've owned, couldn't afford a beefier model and couldn't be bothered to make my own, just want to play games like Medieval 2, Empire & Napoleon on higher settings.

The spec I have should be more than capable of maxing out all of the settings (with AA, grass & shadows off - don't care about them), but when I play M2TW (Third Age mod) on even medium settings it's laggy like on the PC I replaced! Empire & Napoleon work well on High/Ultra settings, but not Medieval 2?!?!?! WTF?

I have (according to systemrequirementslab.com):

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    CPU 3.4 GHz Performance Rated at: 11.90 GHz
    8GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce GTX 555
    DirectX 11.0

All of these spank the minimum and even recommended settings, so why is Medieval 2 still lagging badly on medium when newer games work fine?

I have a 23" monitor capable of 1080p or HD or whatever - could it be the resolution I'm trying to use (1920 x 1200 or something...)? Any recommendations?

It's unlikely that MTW2 is optimized for the multicore processors currently in vogue. Or to exploit DX10 or 11. Plus you are playing a mod so all performance bets are off just for that if the unit sizes are expanded much. I haven't played Third Age on my current I5 rig but I did get lousy frame rates with multiple Mongol stacks on the field at the same time. Shogun2 runs great with 6000 men in combat but MTW2 becomes a slide show with that many.

And welcome to the Org!
    Last edited by Nelson; 05-04-2012 at 23:14.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Hi there!

I have a serious problem:
    I unpacked the files with succeed.
    I think I edited something from there.
    I deleted the two files.
    I started a new campaign playing as the Holy Roman Empire.
    My first battle was with the Rebels.
    I lost because of time.
    Then, Poland attacked me.
    And when it was ready to view the message, the game got black and it showed me a message from (not from the game):
    Medieval 2 Total War has found an unexpected error and it will close now.

Please someone help me!!!

I am wondering if there is way to load up MTWVI without the disk in drive.I know Activision likes this but how about CA?

Delete wrong forum.
    Last edited by Age; 04-18-2015 at 01:44.

posted 02 August 2015 00:24 EDT (US) Jermius Provius's Profile Edit This Message
    I just uploaded my RTW installed BI, then I installed MTW2, neither work. Says the MSS32.DLL, is missing. Did the fixes posted in 2005 and 2011 on other forums. Still nothing, game wont run, get the same error, but only if I open the folder and run the exe from there. If I run from the desktop icon it doesn't say anything, but I have to routinely set my status to Admin, even though I set it to that by default on the compatibility. I tried to move UAC to the lowest bar. It's still borked....

I downloaded WinAmp..borked.

What's up with this?

I have legit copies, and entered the ID key for MTW2.

I'm at a total loss, is Windows 10 doing this?
    mox roma victrix
    Author Replies:
    Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    (id: Terikel706)
    posted 02 August 2015 05:26 EDT (US) 1 / 6 Terikel Grayhair's Profile Edit This Message
    I have zero experience with Windows 10, but if it reports a file being missing, I would look first for that file to see if it is there, or is indeed missing. That happens sometimes during installation, a file would get corrupted and not be recognized. So first see if the file exists, and then we try to figure out why the game does not see it.

If the file is not there, try a re-install. Sometimes that fixes it.

EDIT: Looking up MSS32.dll, I found that it is not a game file. It is a windows file. You might find solutions for your problems following this link or this one.
    |||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
    Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
    Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
    Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
    [This message has been edited by Terikel Grayhair (edited 08-02-2015 @ 05:30 AM).]

Jermius Provius
    Legionary
    posted 02 August 2015 08:02 EDT (US) 2 / 6 Jermius Provius's Profile Edit This Message
    Yeah, thanks for the swift reply. I'm gonna run ccleaner, and try to find the latest DX, But yeah, I forgot to mention, the file is in both directories. It's not that it didn't install, I even tried pulling it off the CD itself to replace the one in the directory, but it was no change, so I'm leaning on it being a Windows 10 Direct X issue.

I'm on a laptop, but it runs AoC so it shouldn't be a graphic's issue my spec's are way over what I would have needed to run it in 2005-2011. It has to be software relate, and God I hope it's not malware related.

Thanx a bunch for the links though.
    mox roma victrix
    Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 02 August 2015 10:33 EDT (US) 3 / 6 Terikel Grayhair's Profile Edit This Message
    You are welcome, and welcome to our forums.
    |||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
    ||||||||||||||||Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
    Jermius Provius
    Legionary
    posted 02 August 2015 18:38 EDT (US) 4 / 6 Jermius Provius's Profile Edit This Message
    Thank, you for the welcome, and I'm happy to be member of the forum. I have read it for years but never had any real reason to join until this frustrating issue.

I had the games in mothballs until recently, but dug them out to take them for a spin on my new-ish HP.

It might be something to do with my ROM drive on my laptop.

It's a DVD-ROM, but the play feature only seems to engage for movie disks. Runs them like a LEDFS with no glitches.

But it's also a CD burner, so I can only see the option to erase the disk, or copy the files as if I was going to pirate it.

Can anyone tell me how to disable the writer so just the autoplay on my DVD-ROM works? I never burn anything anyway, and it seems like game makers wouldn't make disks and HP wouldn't make a drive this screwy if there wasn't a way to get it to play game disks.

But I have asked around and scanned the net. Nothing about what I need, only tips on disabling the autoplay I want to activate.
    mox roma victrix
    [This message has been edited by Jermius Provius (edited 08-02-2015 @ 06:43 PM).]

Terikel Grayhair
    Imperator
    posted 03 August 2015 02:43 EDT (US) 5 / 6 Terikel Grayhair's Profile Edit This Message
    I do not know much about disc drives, but I do know they should never write anything to a disc without you commanding it to (and often commanding through several layers of Are you Sure?)

I wrote a possible solution to you in your email. That works for me, and should for you, unless Windows 10 is so advanced that nothing on the market can support it.
    Jermius Provius
    Legionary
    posted 03 August 2015 14:31 EDT (US) 6 / 6 Jermius Provius's Profile Edit This Message
    Soooo... *sighs*

I did something unapproved and ran it through a VD, and got the same issues so it is totally software related. I bypassed the RD altogether so it's not my hardware. My HP Laptop is a chomping at the bit stallion waiting in a stall to run this bad boy, compared to anything from 2006, this is like alien tech, and it installed the RTW and BI disks a second time like a monster.

It has to be Win-Ten, and a syntax level problem. I'm guessing it ate or removed the driver used by DemoShield to run the game, because both RTW:BI and MTW2 use it, DemoShields logo pops up but then blips off.

Anyone understand why?

I'm stupid.....

*cries*

Posted from another site, sorry for the garbage attached, but has anyone else encountered a problem playing on new 2012-2015 computers?
    Last edited by Kront the King; 08-04-2015 at 19:43.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910