Thread: Has anbody successfully bribed another faction's general yet?

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Default Has anbody successfully bribed another faction's general yet?

If so, how much did it cost?

In RTW, it seemed that "every man had his price," meaning that, when your sleazy diplomat approached another faction's general with an underhanded and sneaky offer to change sides, the only thing that determined whether the answer would be yes or no was the size of your bank account. Simple: if you had enough $$, the answer was yes, and if not, the answer was no.

I tried my first bribe when I had about 500,000 in the bank. The target was a neutral faction's general, and the answer was a resounding "no."

So I waited until I had about 1,500,000 in the bank, and tried once more, again with a neutral faction's general.

Still no dice.

Well, I thought, maybe I'm aiming too high. Let's take a run at that rebel general that just spawned in Germany a couple of turns ago. This should be no problem. In RTW, I used to be able to buy rebel generals for about 40,000. They were a dime a dozen.

Imagine my surprise when he told me where I could shove my dirty little offer.

So, what's the deal? How much is it going to cost me to finally buy a couple of generals to replenish my depleted family? What am I doing wrong?
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Default Re: Has anbody successfully bribed another faction's general yet?

My success rate is a big fat 0%. I don't even bother anymore. It used to be more fun in the previous games. I wish the rebel generals would at least come back with a ridiculous number or something. Who are the rebel generals being loyal to anyway?

Bribery became massively expensive from RTW 1.2 onwards. Some in the community must have asked for it, but the effect was to make bribery pointless. One thing I hope for in a patch is for the cost to bribe a general to fall to a realistic sum.

yeah, numbers seem to have no meaning anymore. bribery sums, unit stats, assassin experience numbers, etc.

basically i think there are some generals that can be bribed (although i have yet to find them) and some that can not, no matter how much you give them.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

Bribery is completely out of hand. You need to cheat to get an uber diplomat and then tons of cash in the bank to be able to bribe. I heard that someone managed to bribe a Mongol general Jebe for something like 350k.

Knight of Santiago Member baron_Leo's Avatar

I have NEVER ever even got an offer always rejected. The good point is none of my generals or cities ever got bribed. I would be sooooooooooooo angry if that would happen. Si I dont really care. OOnly thing is that it would be nice if we could bribe rebels. I hate leaving armies in the totally safe backlands.okay Is usually take a general hire mercenaries and done, but still it would be better If we could use diplomats.
    "A magyarok nyilaitól - ments meg Uram minket!" (középkori ima)

"Lord save us from the bows of the Hungarians!"
    (medieval prayer)

Official Self-Proclaimed Junior Vice President and founder of the almost existing unofficial Knights of Santiago Fan Club

I remember back in the days of RTW 1.0 people were bribing every soldier they could find (and their relatives) to join their cause. People were calling the game Rome: Total Bribery. Battles were scarce, turncoats were numerous and in general a whole lot of complaining was going on.

It seems CA's response was to first make bribery very much more difficult, then to break the system entirely. I never got any generals bribed after RTW 1.2 but to be honest I never really tried. I've already found situations in M2TW however where I would very much have liked to bribe, and it would have been a good move. In one case I had a faction general who was married to a princess of mine go rebel after his faction was destroyed. No amount of money seemed to satisfy him, eventually the "firmly rejected" turned into "not interested" and I simply gave up.

I'm not sure how many people complained, or how often they complained but in my mind they only succeeded in removing from the game an aspect that I rather enjoyed. I can remember Bruti campaigns in which I stocked up on Greek and Dacian family members. Sure they weren't exactly loyal but I enjoyed the idea of bringing new family lines within my power. In M2TW this dynamic is entirely absent. If 1.5 million Florins isn't enough for a single rebel peasant unit ,then I imagine nothing will sway your run of the mill General.
    "Religion is a thing which the king cannot command, because no man can be compelled to believe against his will..."

yes bribery has been nurfed to hell and back. As stated above in RTW 1.2( i think) bribery was crazy outta hand. i remember my macedon campaign, i had one half of my family tree greek, the other have a mix of roman, egyptian, parthian, pontic, scythain, dacian and britain. Unfortunatly this brought about a HUGE nurf. seems to me its damn near impossible. I tried to bribe a 5 loyalty, rebel general in my spanish camp, he had like 2 units of javelin men, 1 unit of peasants and a unit of peasant xbow. i started with 100k, i ended up at 3 million and still could not bribe him, at this point i gave up -.-
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Yes, well CA made bribery historically accurate and everyone screamed. Now rebellion is likely instead. Both should be something that needs watching. Be careful what you scream about. Someone may try to fix it and then look what you get.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I always Bribe, soem Rebel generals agree. I tried to Bribe El Cid, it was offending!! But I always bribe, I bribed an Aztec Army, a full army, about 1400, they accepted for A LOT of money!

I've got the offer to brib a single, low loyalty rebel general with one peasant for 260k (90% of my treasury).

Naturally, i said no
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Diplomacy is broken in M2TW, including bribery. In the early RTW days if you had the cash, and wanted to build a mercenary army you could hire mercenaries with a general, or bribe rebel armies with a diplomat. It was your game, and you cold play it your way. Which would you rather do, your choice. I prefered to use my generals for other duties when I could. If you used Generals as governers then you never had enough generals/governers anyway. Now it is a waste of time to try to bribe rebels, especially rebel generals. I have never seen a situation where it was worth the money, and very rarely was bribery even an option in M2TW. It would have been better to just remove bribery from M2TW, rather than have the game wast my time trying until I learned better

In hotseat multiplayer campaign mode diplomacy apears to be working better, even with the AI factions. The AI factions have through 34 turns even kept alliances. Things so far have made sense with diplomacy. No changes to bribery that I can tell though

I have bribed rebel towns a few times for 200,000-300,000, but never a general. Not sure I have ever tried though. It's a lot cheaper to raise an army and kill them.

And I believe the game is wired to make up general shortages by MOTH or adoption.

I do recall MTW bribery being a bit too easy - not so much for me but for the AI. I remember keeping low loyalty generals in seperate stacks from their armies, and combining them right before battles so that you didn't lose whole armies.

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

In original MTW, it was extremely easy to build giant chains of boats all the way around the world and then end up with something like a million or 2 in the treasury. 40k, 50k bribes aren't a big deal in that case. Though amounts were pretty crazy at times, it's damn useful. Earliest moves were always bribing El Cid and the longbows in Wales.

In RTW, it tended to be a tad easy. However, the reaction was drastic. Now, bribery is useless. I've only managed to bribe Wales for roughly 6k in my first campaign and haven't been able to do a successful bribe since. Might as well not have that option on a diplomat.

I think bribery of generals is switched off in the descr_campaign_db.xml

<bribery>
    <bribe_to_family_tree bool="false"/>

I an not 100% sure because I haven't tried it.

1) Go into the data file and open up export_descr_character_traits.txt

2) At the same time, go into your descr_strat.txt file.

3) Choose the faction you want to play and go to the diplomat character.

4) To the end of the row showing his traits, add: " , NaturalDiplomatSkill 3 , SmoothTalker 3" (without quotation marks)

5) If you want to edit any of your other characters just go throught the character traits file and look what the code is, and add it to the descr_strat file. I also recommend changing your diplomat's age so he has maximum time for bribery

6) start a new campaingn and get bribing.

I gave up pretty quickly with the bribing. Only once have I seen a successful bribery when Venice bribed one of the castles I had just taken from them (no general in it).

The worst bit is the computer will still try turn after turn after turn to bribe your generals and settlements forcing you to sit there and watch it.

Heavy Metal Warlord Member Von Nanega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PureFodder
    The worst bit is the computer will still try turn after turn after turn to bribe your generals and settlements forcing you to sit there and watch it.
    I found over time this helps with your generals loyalty though. Thats a good thing.
    Cap badge of the Queens Royal Lancers

The Death or Glory Boys

Praetorian on Crusade Member Oshidashi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gingergenius
    1) Go into the data file and open up export_descr_character_traits.txt

2) At the same time, go into your descr_strat.txt file.

3) Choose the faction you want to play and go to the diplomat character.

4) To the end of the row showing his traits, add: " , NaturalDiplomatSkill 3 , SmoothTalker 3" (without quotation marks)

5) If you want to edit any of your other characters just go throught the character traits file and look what the code is, and add it to the descr_strat file. I also recommend changing your diplomat's age so he has maximum time for bribery

6) start a new campaingn and get bribing.
    So are you saying that, when having a great diplomat, bribing can be done without emptying your whole treasury? And can these diplomats also bribe generals?

In the old MTW it was possible to give your generals certain titles. With these titles came certain traits. I enjoyed that and miss this aspect in MTW2. Concerning bribing, wouldn't it be realistic if you could bribe a general by giving him a certain amount of money and in addittion offer him a title? The importancy of the title and the amount of money needed for the bribe then ofcourse should correspond with the loyalty and traits/retinues of that general.

Chillin with my unit of clibanarii immortals

Quote Originally Posted by PureFodder
    I gave up pretty quickly with the bribing. Only once have I seen a successful bribery when Venice bribed one of the castles I had just taken from them (no general in it).

YOu could just break out some assassins and start murdering em.

I really have only bribed anyone once in RTW.I spent like 8000 on 2 militia hoplites.I had the money and didnt feel like supressing it.I sent those 2 militia hoplite units to a constantly siege city.They probably remade there money on dead thracians and macedonians!
    Yes, well CA made bribery historically accurate and everyone screamed. Now rebellion is likely instead. Both should be something that needs watching. Be careful what you scream about. Someone may try to fix it and then look what you get.
    well the thing is the game isnt meant to be historically acurrate.As in rome total war theyll go destroy some history to make the game play funner/easier
    (all greek cites being merged was primarily the one)

Maximizer of Marginal Utility Member Snoil The Mighty's Avatar

Short answer to OP: Nope.

Longer bit: If they are so deadset on quieting the people who complained about the ease of bribing from RTW, they should have just removed bribery in it's entireity as opposed to putting something they intentionally made unusable. It's pretty obvious given the the way they went from one extreme to another in RTW regarding bribery efficacy that they wanted to quell the Rome:Total Bribery noise. However, including a 'feature' that doesn't work is far worse than just removing it until/unless they come up with a usable version that won't get their game called names. Truth be told, I don't think bribery was THAT far out of whack in RTW. I rarely used it because I liked to fight battles, personally. But it was fun on a lark occaisionally. And as far asamassing crazy amounts of coin and bribing your way to power, hey the late game army sizes I am amassing are fairly ahistoric also! So in a nutshell, I think they are silly for making it an essentially unusable feature. Hopefully it will get addressed in future, more comprehensive patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
    If so, how much did it cost?

In RTW, it seemed that "every man had his price," meaning that, when your sleazy diplomat approached another faction's general with an underhanded and sneaky offer to change sides, the only thing that determined whether the answer would be yes or no was the size of your bank account. Simple: if you had enough $$, the answer was yes, and if not, the answer was no.

I tried my first bribe when I had about 500,000 in the bank. The target was a neutral faction's general, and the answer was a resounding "no."

So I waited until I had about 1,500,000 in the bank, and tried once more, again with a neutral faction's general.

Still no dice.

Well, I thought, maybe I'm aiming too high. Let's take a run at that rebel general that just spawned in Germany a couple of turns ago. This should be no problem. In RTW, I used to be able to buy rebel generals for about 40,000. They were a dime a dozen.

Imagine my surprise when he told me where I could shove my dirty little offer.

So, what's the deal? How much is it going to cost me to finally buy a couple of generals to replenish my depleted family? What am I doing wrong?
    finally got around this by editing the descr_campaign_db file
    go to the bribery section change <min_bribe_chance float="100.0"/> for a guaranteed chance of seducing the ai with enough money.