Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whose values are they anyway?

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Default Whose values are they anyway?

A (deliberately) provocative but nevertheless worthwhile article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...982376,00.html

For me personally, where it goes wrong is the assumption that you can only achieve the values she speaks about with a religious input, but other than that there is food for thought here.

I was also struck by a comemnt from a feriend of mine who married an American and joined an American protestant church. After we had explored some of his beliefs, and after I had made my predictable reactions to them, he obserevd that he didn't really believe anything that wasn't mainstream C of E belief 100 years ago. Which is true. I'll spare you my obvious retort, but the same can be said, more or less, for mainstream observant muslims today (with some changes in the details, naturally).

Am I the mainstream, or are they....?
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Default Re: Whose values are they anyway?

Here's how I see it. If you're going to move to another country, you should integrate YOURSELF into THEIR culture. I'm not going to move India and open a beef slaughterhouse, for example. (Not to say that the Muslims are behaving that offensively).

Most of the problems in our society are caused when people refuse let go of their own traditions or at least accept the traditions of others. The "us vs them" mentality is destrutive and serves no purpose since there isn't any danger of "them" coming over and killing "us" anymore. (I'm speaking in terms of multiple subcultures that live withing a larger community, not the world community, which is still quite "us vs them.")

I know plenty of people who are from Iran and other parts of the Middle East and yet have had NO problems at all integrating into Middle-American culture. I don't really see the point of leaving your own country, flying halfway around the world, and living in the exact same way you could have lived if you hadn't moved at all.
    Rameus

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

She has a point about mainstream culture that I gree with, we're on the slide. On the other hand this all began with multiculturalism and political correctness trying to "civilise" our own remaining "barbarian" customs, such as corporal punishment in schools.

Muslims don't have anything to teach us that we don't know, we just need to be brave enough to apply what our parents taught us.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a reply posted to the article on The Guardian's site:

Quote Originally Posted by RameshN
    All Vietnamese, Koreans, Chinese, Japanese and Hindu Indians likewise are more likely to have two-parent families, have extended kin networks and social supports, and rather stern notions of family discipline. This extends both in their homelands and in those settled in the West.

Regarding the Chinese, a century ago many men wore pigtails and the women endured the cruel practice of footbinding. These practices were swept away in the name of modernisation, without anyone claiming that footbinding was an integral part of Daoist or Buddhist or for that matter, Maoist female identity. Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and Vietnamese have adapted to Western dress without sacrificing their kin structures or their sense of cultural identity.

In America, American born Asians have the highest rate of out-group dating and marriage in the country. In fact, in California and New York, more American born Asian women are marrying non-Asians than Asians, yet this has not led to a deterioration in terms of drug abuse etc. In fact, the Asians have higher educational qualifications than whites for similar age groups.

Comparisons of educational qualifications of Muslims, Hindus and East Asians in Western Europe demonstrate that Muslims have lower educational qualifications than whites, the other two groups having similar qualifications or superior. Hence, if the theory that Muslim values were superior, this differential would not exist.

Asian groups which have done poorly are almost entirely refugee groupings where the original community was devastated by warfare : the Hmong, Laotians, Cambodians, and to a lesser extent, the Vietnamese 'boat people' of Chinese ethnicity.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Muslim values? Bah! What arrogance!

Her description of the so-called Muslim values fit just about every bloody society out there since time immemorial that embraces the value of tradition as law. China for most of its history is actually a far more prominent example than her "Muslim-ness" claims to be. Confucianism, anyone?

As a matter of fact, as someone who came from such a society myself, I found the Western-American liberalism to be, quite honestly, a liberation. Get me back in that cage and I'll topple her nice conformist society with a revolution if need be.

[sarcasm]Children these days, don't appreciate what they have[/sarcasm]

^ Following Antiochus's lead, the values she endorses have actually made a number of my friend's what she says it prevents. Strict parents have driven them to be rebellious simply to prove they can.
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Keep up the good fight britians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

As long as what immigrants do doesn't go against established laws it's fine by me. Some of their practices I may disagree with, but that is not strictly limited to the practices of immigrants. I find it wrong when laws are taken out of their original context against specific ethnic groups, or when specific laws are created against such groups.

The only thing I believe to be necessary is that immigrants are at least knowledgeable in the language and culture of the place to which they've emigrated. The don't have to agree with the customs, or even follow them as long as they don't break laws, but they do need to be aware of what makes the country they're living in tick.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holybandit
    As bad as I wanna be.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by holybandit
    They used to make very good quality toys back in the '60s......

here

Although I'm sure that you meant the subjects of Her Britannic Majesties realm of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland, the Principality of Wales and the Province of Northern Ireland. Now didn't you?

There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Her name looks like something outta Scrabble. She needs to get off her high horse and be happy she was allowed to immagrate to a country like Briton and partake in things her anxectors had no help creating
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Briton?

Seriously though, if you move to a country you shouldn't try to change it once you arrive. Britain is a product of it's history and traditions and many of the current problems stem from trying to ignore these.

I like Britain, so I'm not emmigrating. Presumably if you are emmigrating its because you think the place you're going to is better than the one you left. So don't try to make it like the place you left, if you don't like it you can go home.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Wigferth Ironwall
    Briton?

Seriously though, if you move to a country you shouldn't try to change it once you arrive. Britain is a product of it's history and traditions and many of the current problems stem from trying to ignore these.

I like Britain, so I'm not emmigrating. Presumably if you are emmigrating its because you think the place you're going to is better than the one you left. So don't try to make it like the place you left, if you don't like it you can go home.
    I'd say that the desire to engage in the adopted country's social and political discourse with your own background and input is actually a good indication that an individual has become involved in the country's life -- as good a defining trait of "citizen" as any.

That doesn't necessary make that individual's arguments suddenly more effective and valid, though. Ms. Manzoor's article, in my opinion, is just pure bollocks; unless one reads it as a backlash against the ever-growing cries of "integrate, now!" within British society, and not as an argument to actually create such a state of being that she apparently aspires to.

In my view Muslims generally have a lot of values whereas secularists (ie: society at large) have none whatsoever.

Therefore it is indeed a great idea for the British to integrate into Muslim values.

Quote Originally Posted by Navaros
    In my view Muslims generally have a lot of values whereas secularists (ie: society at large) have none whatsoever.

Therefore it is indeed a great idea for the British to integrate into Muslim values.
    Such as?

If you mean those mentioned in the article then please explain why you agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochusIII
    Such as?
    Such as Muslims don't believe in a "free sex" society based on promiscuity and adultery, like secularists do. Muslims don' believe in legally murdering their own babies, like secularists do. Muslims don't believe in glorifying immoral lifestyles that run rampant like a plague through secular society, like secularists do. Muslims don't believe in putting their own gratification above the morally upright will of God, like secularists do.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Such as Muslims don't believe in a "free sex" society based on promiscuity and adultery, like secularists do. Muslims don' believe in legally murdering their own babies, like secularists do. Muslims don't believe in glorifying immoral lifestyles that run rampant like a plague through secular society, like secularists do. Muslims don't believe in putting their own gratification above the morally upright will of God, like secularists do.
    Poppycock
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Muslim society is too restrictive and is out of step with modern economic realities. In actual Arab countries, there is success in postponing vaginal intercourse, but a growing number of girls are simply finding other alternatives.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 01-06-2007 at 17:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Arroyo
    Muslim society is too restrictive and is out of step with modern economic realities. In actual Arab countries, there is success in postponing vaginal intercourse, but a growing number of girls.....
    ha ha ha

damn I missed out on that juetz action when last in egypt

having my wife with me wouldntve helped

Whatever people wanna do in the privacy of their homes makes no diff to me - as long as they abide the laws

I dont think our 'way of life' is so wonderful that people need to convert to it if they immigrate. Personally there are large parts of it I would do away with if given the option. As long as their culture/way of life doesnt interfere with how I choose to live mine - I could care less if they want to spend their life believing rubbish and denying themselves stuff so they can be in paradise when they die - for me this now is heaven or hell depending on what we make of it - best enjoy it - although lately things have been looking alot more like Hades than Nirvana.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 01-06-2007 at 17:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

OK this is the last time ( ) I am going to say this....

Atheism (secularism) is the lack or absence of belief.

It's called thinking for oneself, as a pose to espousing what you have been brainwashed taught to think.

I'm off to bed.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    OK this is the last time ( ) I am going to say this....

It's called thinking for oneself, as a pose to espousing what you have been brainwashed taught to think.

I'm off to bed.

but don't they believe there is no belief system ?

Integration isn't all its cracked up to be. Think about where we'd be if the Chinese, Italians, Germans, Irish, and countless others had left their food back in their homelands...no carry out, Pizza, bratwurst. Where would society be?
    Sometimes I slumber on a bed of roses
    Sometimes I crash in the weeds
    One day a bowl full of cherries
    One night I'm suckin' on lemons and spittin' out the seeds
    -Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, Lemons

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Secularism is not the same as atheism.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob
    Integration isn't all its cracked up to be. Think about where we'd be if the Chinese, Italians, Germans, Irish, and countless others had left their food back in their homelands...no carry out, Pizza, bratwurst. Where would society be?
    Mmmm....I crave chinese food 24/7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    To even think that such a state of existence were possible, as in one without belief, is not only a fundamental misunderstanding of neurology and the nature of thought, but demonstrates an unusually high level of self-delusion.

Wink Re: Whose values are they anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Patriarch of Constantinople
    but don't they believe there is no belief system ?
    Err...no they don't.

Cheap shots are fine. Just don't miss.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Well at least they are becomming more honest about it. If the article is meant to be provocative, good job at that, works for me. So, all that's wrong with brittain are brittish values now, funny how it works.

Britain has always been about taking bits of other cultures.

Plus there's a lot of confusion of religion and culture going on at the moment. It's unfortunate, although it does give some groups a useful excuse to carry on medieaval and archaic traditions. Which maintain the status quo... Not that I'm that horribly cynical or anything.

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

I don't think anyone really believes integration is a one-way street. When two cultures merge, they both exert some degree of influence on each other. Obviously, a minority group of immigrants will have to adapt more to their host country than vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. When you immigrate to a new society, proper ettiquette is to bring the positive contributions from your parent culture, while abandoning the harmful components of it. It's reasonable to expect Muslims to leave behind the forced marriages, revenge killing, sexism, etc. from their parent cultures and accept western values such as personal responsibility, liberty, equality, peace, and forgiveness.

Regarding the values espoused by the article's writer, they are broken IMO. It's neurotic to view guilt, shame, and fear as good things (with the obvious exception of healthy fear). Maybe that's why the integration of Muslims into western society looks a bit one-way - it's hard for us westerners to find much in Muslim culture worth emulating. (We have already happily adopted their cuisine.)
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast