Thread: NSA's Guide to Network Security

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Post NSA's Guide to Network Security

This is kind of nifty -- the NSA has posted a PDF guide for n00bs learning how to secure their networks. Not bad stuff. I haven't had time to read it carefully, but it looks like ~60 minutes worth of work to improve your basic network.

Nice to see the security agencies doing something for the little guy. It's a lot of basic stuff, but I can think of two or twelve people I'm going to forward this to right away ...

Here's an HTML cached version, in case you need it.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: NSA's Guide to Network Security

Should be common sense stuff for people in the IT industry, but unfortunately for many- it isn't.

Definitely worth hanging onto though, if for no other reason than to say at my next job interview that I follow NSA network security guidelines.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou
    Definitely worth hanging onto though, if for no other reason than to say at my next job interview that I follow NSA network security guidelines.

They will think you're 1337 and take you right away.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by The NSA
    System administrators should crack passwords monthly to identify problems with weak passwords and to determine if the password policy is being followed.
    That's very intersting, and, if you think about it, it makes a hell of a lot of sense. The best way to convince someone to change their password has to be to go up to them and say, "it only too me 26 seconds to gain access to your account"
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer