Thread: Agents

Default Agents

You can add the fact that the number of Agent is capped to 12 (family, general, merchant, diplomat, princess, spy, assassin, admiral, heretic, priest, witch, inquisitor).

If you try to add more agents with descr_strat it will crash and system.log will tell you exactly "N° of agents capped to 12".

Also, in my personal battle to have the Inquisitor playable (which I lost due to hardcode), I noticed that if you delete agent description lines from descr_cultures it will crash and system.log will tell something like "Agent Expected: Spy" -or whatever you have deleted-.

So I bet most of the rules about existance of Agents is hardcoded

Default Re: Agents

Quote Originally Posted by madalchemist
    DAMMIT.

I was just hoping to add in Mercenary Generals (i.e Condottorie- i know they are a mercenary unit you can buy, im talking as an agent) with all sorts of nasty and usefull attributes, but i guess this means NO.

poo.

Cheers,
    HDD
    M2TW: DarthMOD Beta-Team Leader! Hella Yeah!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74580

M2TW: MOD - Increased Musket Smoke: version 1.3A
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1119

When you're Good, you're Good; when you're the Best, you're Irish!

Here is the results of my modding:
    1) You cannot create a building that will train heretics, witches, and inquisitors in the same way you can train spies, assassins, merchants, and diplomats. Trying to do this will result in the game crashing with the error message 'agent xxx not found'.

However you can create admirals when you construct ships, and its possible to give units the ability to be a general (just add 'general_unit' to the attributes in export_descr_unit.txt).

I have not tested whether you can recruit princesses but you probably cannot.

2) It is possible for any faction to start with heretics, witches, and inquisitors by adding this unit to your faction (modify descr_character.txt), and modifying the world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt so that you start with this unit.

However since you cannot train more heretics, witches, and inquisitors when they die you will not longer have these units. Any new heretics, witches, and inquisitors that are spawned will belong to the heretic faction or Papal States.

3) In the descr_character.txt its possible to change one unit to look like another, for example you could make your faction's assassin look like an inquisitor. It is also possible to change the name of an agent in text\expanded.txt, so an assassin will be called an inquisitor. Though its probably possible to change the portraits of an assassin to one of an inquisitor I don't know how to do that. Though the unit is not an inquisitor it will look very much like one.
    4 Seasons (6 Empires battle for supremecy); 3.0 version
    Total War Eras (start at 970, 1080, 1200, 1300, 1400, or 1500); 2.4 version
    Eras Total Conquest (start at 1230, 1346, 1547); 1.2 version

Quote Originally Posted by uanime5
    Here is the results of my modding:
    1) You cannot create a building that will train heretics, witches, and inquisitors in the same way you can train spies, assassins, merchants, and diplomats. Trying to do this will result in the game crashing with the error message 'agent xxx not found'.

However you can create admirals when you construct ships, and its possible to give units the ability to be a general (just add 'general_unit' to the attributes in export_descr_unit.txt).

I have not tested whether you can recruit princesses but you probably cannot.

2) It is possible for any faction to start with heretics, witches, and inquisitors by adding this unit to your faction (modify descr_character.txt), and modifying the world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt so that you start with this unit.

However since you cannot train more heretics, witches, and inquisitors when they die you will not longer have these units. Any new heretics, witches, and inquisitors that are spawned will belong to the heretic faction or Papal States.
    I made more tests but I must say you are 100% correct.

It appears recruitable agents (spy, assassin, diplomat, merchant, priest) are hardcoded recruitable, and spawned agents (princess, heretic, witch, inquisitor) are hardcoded spawned.

So...

I like your idea to make a faction start with a spawned agent but, as you say, as soon as they die you cannot replace them and you cannot use them properly in a Mod.

I thought to make it possible to acquire them from the faction who spawn them (i.e. bribing a papal inquisitor to make him shift to your faction), so I modded the descr_cursor_action and I could make merchants possible to bribe (I tested it many times). The side effect is that to make them bribable (sp?), you must make them able to accept diplomacy, so you also give merchants the chance to do passive diplomacy, so to exchange map info, in short they can act as diplomats AND merchants (I didn't remember if they could make active diplomacy, but IIRC when you give them in descr_characters and descr_cursor_actions the diplomacy option, you give them all).

I made no further tests but I think you should be able to bribe even spawned agents, assuming you turn them into diplomats as well and you allow them into your faction. The fact is, if you don't control the hardcoded spawning, you cannot rely on it :(

Quote Originally Posted by madalchemist
    You can add the fact that the number of Agent is capped to 12 (family, general, merchant, diplomat, princess, spy, assassin, admiral, heretic, priest, witch, inquisitor).

If you try to add more agents with descr_strat it will crash and system.log will tell you exactly "N° of agents capped to 12".

Also, in my personal battle to have the Inquisitor playable (which I lost due to hardcode), I noticed that if you delete agent description lines from descr_cultures it will crash and system.log will tell something like "Agent Expected: Spy" -or whatever you have deleted-.

So it is currently (and probably permanently) impossible to make new agents?

Also i was pondering an agent that did two jobs in one... combining Diplomat & Merchant in one... or Religion & Assassin in one agent. Is that possible?
    The hanged man will kick at anything when the noose starts to tighten around his neck