Thread: How to Edit Units in Medieval total war 2

Default How to Edit Units in Medieval total war 2

Default Re: How to Edit Units in Medieval total war 2

Shortest first post ever.

I'm going to assume by the translation of that smiley that you want to change unit stats, and not re-texture them. Re-texturing units is painful and will require heavy does of painkiller from fiddling with the modelDB file.

TO edit unit stats, you'll have to run the unpacker. Read the readme for that and extract everything (its 7 gigs). Then, create a mod folder (call it whatever you want). Inside this folder, make a folder called "data". Now, go to the root folder and go into the real data folder. Find the export_descr_units.txt file, copy it (DONT CUT IT) and paste it into the data folder that you just made. While you're there, do a search in the main data folder for "geography" immediatly, 2 files will be found. Stop the search and delete them. The names are in the unpacker readme. They cause a crash. Now download the MedManager. Just google it.

Run the manager. It will create a new preferances file (with the name of the new folder on it) and a desktop shortcut called "Medieval 2 Total war - Mymod" (Whatever you named that folder)

Go back to that folder. You'll notice that a few more folders are in there. Ignore them, they're there so the mod works. Open up the data folder that had only the export_descr_units.txt folder. They'll be a few more files in there, but ignore them.

First, test the shortcut. Just make sure the game runs.

Now, open the units.txt. From here, you can edit the stats of units and what models and animations to use. Its fairly self explanatory if you read the beginning. Try simple things, like changing the attack animation of a 2 handed axe unit to that of a 2 handed sword unit. )Note that you can do some really wierd combos with animations if you want to, but I dont recommend it.) Change the attack of a unit, or something else.

Thats basic editing. If you want more help, just ask, but use english. My smileyspeak isnt that great.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Moved to modding questions.

vettero: It would be nice to at least write a few lines about your problem. I wouldn't have helped you since you apparently show no inclination to make any effort to get your question answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Eltharon View Post
    I'm going to assume by the translation of that smiley that you want to change unit stats, and not re-texture them. Re-texturing units is painful and will require heavy does of painkiller from fiddling with the modelDB file.

TO edit unit stats, you'll have to run the unpacker. Read the readme for that and extract everything (its 7 gigs). Then, create a mod folder (call it whatever you want). Inside this folder, make a folder called "data". Now, go to the root folder and go into the real data folder. Find the export_descr_units.txt file, copy it (DONT CUT IT) and paste it into the data folder that you just made. While you're there, do a search in the main data folder for "geography" immediatly, 2 files will be found. Stop the search and delete them. The names are in the unpacker readme. They cause a crash. Now download the MedManager. Just google it.

Run the manager. It will create a new preferances file (with the name of the new folder on it) and a desktop shortcut called "Medieval 2 Total war - Mymod" (Whatever you named that folder)

Go back to that folder. You'll notice that a few more folders are in there. Ignore them, they're there so the mod works. Open up the data folder that had only the export_descr_units.txt folder. They'll be a few more files in there, but ignore them.

First, test the shortcut. Just make sure the game runs.

Now, open the units.txt. From here, you can edit the stats of units and what models and animations to use. Its fairly self explanatory if you read the beginning. Try simple things, like changing the attack animation of a 2 handed axe unit to that of a 2 handed sword unit. )Note that you can do some really wierd combos with animations if you want to, but I dont recommend it.) Change the attack of a unit, or something else.

Thats basic editing. If you want more help, just ask, but use english. My smileyspeak isnt that great.
    Hi Eltharon I am quite happy with your explanation of how to edit units in Medieval 2 Total war I have searched everywhere to find out how to do it and it seems you answered my prayers however I find it very difficult to follow you instructions on your post no offence to you friend but I have tried dozens of times to edit units with the help of your instructions but strangely when i play my mod either the changes with the unit stats etc ive made does not work or I when try to play my mod the screen turns black and i am back to own deskop again can you please help me? it would be greatly appriciated I hope to hear from you soon! :)

Warmly regards Elimo_Solidos

i wanted to that too :( but i dont use internet on my gaming pc.
    btw IF i should try it : does the unpacker work with with medieval2 TW 1.3 + Kingdoms?
    I thought it only worked with 1.1. Or when you change to 1.3 does the unpacker change as well?

Ok, I've followed the instructions, I've got MedManager and It has created the proper folder and cfg file for me. Good. I put my modified Export_descr_unit.txt and descr_projectile.txt in the new data folder. I increased the range of mortars from 300 to 3000 and I made their area of effect 5 times as much.

But nothing happens. I use medmanager to launch my mod, and nothing is different. My mortars are exactly the same. What am I missing?

where can I find a safe url address to download msvcp71.dll, I need that program to open unpacker and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with that.

do you know how to edit the units in the americas campaign or teutonic campaign?

The manager stops working after I type in the directory file name, any help. I think I might be typing in the wrong file name but I'm not sure