Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

  1. #1

    Default Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Should I buy MTW II if:

    1. I loved MTW. It remains one of my favorite games, ever, only surpassed by the fact that I . . .

    2. Really love RTW. I am addicted to this one. Completely.

    3. I've seen screen captures from MTW2 and it just looks wicked. Totally.

    But does it play as well, does it crash? Also, I got bored with vanilla RTW pretty quickly and got the mod for RTR, then EB.

    Also, before I buy it, has anyone modded the map yet? I tend to like a detailed map with a bunch of provinces.

    Finally, how many factions are there? In MTW, my favorite factions were:

    Byzantines
    Egyptians
    Alhomads
    Russians

    Are they still there?

    Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion.

    Spidey

  2. #2
    Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.
    Posts
    8,257

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey
    Should I buy MTW II if:

    1. I loved MTW. It remains one of my favorite games, ever, only surpassed by the fact that I . . .

    2. Really love RTW. I am addicted to this one. Completely.

    3. I've seen screen captures from MTW2 and it just looks wicked. Totally.
    Personally, I admit that while the game is pretty fun, it still doesn't compare to the original MTW. However, that said.... Since you liked both MTW *and* Rome, then the odds are extremely good that you'll enjoy Medieval 2 as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey
    But does it play as well, does it crash? Also, I got bored with vanilla RTW pretty quickly and got the mod for RTR, then EB.
    By all accounts, it's pretty stable this time around. I've not experienced any crashes myself, although I admittedly haven't really played the game that much as of yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey
    Also, before I buy it, has anyone modded the map yet? I tend to like a detailed map with a bunch of provinces.
    Not sure about this one. You might want to check out the Medieval Total Realism mod, though. It's not out yet, but it does look fairly promising.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey
    Finally, how many factions are there? In MTW, my favorite factions were:

    Byzantines
    Egyptians
    Alhomads
    Russians

    Are they still there?
    There's 17 playable factions, and yes all 4 of them are in Medieval 2 (although the Almos are the Moors now).
    Last edited by Martok; 01-12-2007 at 00:05.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

  3. #3
    Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    9,651

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    I think buying it sounds like a no-brainer for you (your TW preferences seem very close to mine), although personally I prefer to have a DVD or CD in my hand rather than download a game. The main advantage of M2TW over those great RTW mods is that the strategic and battlefield AI is much better (let's face it, RTWs was never great). I tend to suffer STW/MTW level casualties or worse; and indeed the battlefield AI seems to fight better than MTWs AI. It does not crash for most people (except for a Timurid elephant crash that was supposed to be patched).

    And yes, it does look totally wicked.

  4. #4
    the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Some people have experienced problems with the downloaded version.

    There are mods expanding the maps, and many mods will have betas out soon (no new models though)
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Unless there is some reason why you can't buy it locally (like living somewhere it's not retailed) I would go and buy the DVD version. It'll save you a lot of time on downloading, and if you get tired of it someday at least you can give it to a friend.

    I'm all for direct download on some games (multiplayer FPS for example, where versions can be kept up to date), but this isn't a game where it has much advantage.
    propa·gandist n.

    A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

  6. #6
    Member Member LordKhaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    England
    Posts
    397

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    I'd get the DVD version if I were you. It's a rather huge game (as in, 7-8gb huge).

    As for how it plays.. like a cross between MTW and RTW. Which sits very well with me.
    ~LordKhaine~

  7. #7

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    I loves MTW and I found MTW2 is improved overall. It is still not perfect, though, especially the AI.
    The graphics are incredibly nice and the sieges are much improved.
    I got the game by Ebay through a professionnal seller at 20 euros (it is an absolutely orginal version), si perhaps you could consider this option.

    Stéphane

  8. #8
    Στωικισμός Member Bijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Η Γη / Κόλαση
    Posts
    1,844

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey
    Also, before I buy it, has anyone modded the map yet? I tend to like a detailed map with a bunch of provinces. Spidey
    BigMap is certainly a good replacement for the standard map. I think Spurius is at version .99i now. http://www.totalwarmods.com/BigMap%2...ml#andextended
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

    ---

    Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

    ---

    Check out some of my music.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Be careful with D2D.......I downloaded Call of Duty 2 awhile back, the game worked fine but updates and patches would not work with the downloaded version of the game....updates and patches only work with the CD version of the game......no idea if the same thing pertains to MTW2.

    I updated COD2 and then the game would crash. I contacted tech support for COD2 and the tech support people told me that you could not update or patch the downloaded version of the game.....only the CD version.

    Again.......no idea if the same thing would happed to MTW2

  10. #10

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Whatever you do, don't use Direct2Download. Like the poster above, there are definitely problems with the patches for it. That, and having a hard copy of the game is much better than an electronic version, imo.

  11. #11
    Member Member Satyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    587

    Default Re: Think I should bay Direct2Downlaod $50 for MTWII?

    Quote Originally Posted by econ21
    I think buying it sounds like a no-brainer for you (your TW preferences seem very close to mine), although personally I prefer to have a DVD or CD in my hand rather than download a game. The main advantage of M2TW over those great RTW mods is that the strategic and battlefield AI is much better (let's face it, RTWs was never great). I tend to suffer STW/MTW level casualties or worse; and indeed the battlefield AI seems to fight better than MTWs AI. It does not crash for most people (except for a Timurid elephant crash that was supposed to be patched).

    And yes, it does look totally wicked.
    Yes, it does look totally wicked. But I can't believe you are suffering MTW level casualties. I am managing wins with around an 10 to 1 kill ratio. I admit that isn't quite as bad as Romes 100 to 1 but it still is way off from MTW where I would get 4 to 1 at best and often would be happy with a 2 to 1 kill ratio. For all that you have been defending this game, perhaps you should improve your skills so that you notice the problems first.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO