Thread: Spam (no the food)

Default Spam (no the food)

anybody had spam is it nice, bought some today because i realised i have never tasted it.
    Make Beer Not War

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Spam (no the food)

it taste quite good IMO

I have seen it in the super market but have never tried it. Isn't it sort of like luncheon or something?

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Think: chopped ham and pork umm fat, with salt (to preserve). I grew upon the stuff, and don't recommend you just slice and fry it - the salt may put you off, as it did me as a kid.

It's better used as a flavoring agent, IMO, in dishes like Red Beans & Rice, or Chili, or even Pork 'n Beans from a can, for a decent bachelor (cheap and easy) meal.

Cut it up into half-inch chunks and let it "play nice" with the other ingredients, which will tame its saltiness, while contributing to the taste of the dish.

It's a great invention for on-the-road food, or camping or otherwise living "in the rough". At home, in civilization, you have to calm it down a bit.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

I really hate the stuff. I used to eat it fried and mixed with Mac&Cheese it was decent. It's really if you like it or hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

Nasty stuff, tastes like seawater with a little bit of ham flavoring. Some people seem to eat it as a religion though, so I guess it's one of those acquired tastes. Wouldnt suggest touching it with a stick without a good bit of bread nearby.
    Last edited by BigTex; 01-14-2007 at 09:31.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

...its like eating salt...sprinkled with ham. Only way it could possibly be eatn is with rice or something to that effect.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Blog Entries

I had it once in my life, my Grandma used to make it for my Grandpa and family when they were young. Aweful stuff, I think I gagged numerous times before the vile stuff slithered down my throat.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's ok in a cheap and easy macaroni.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

It's a short hop from SPAM to corned beef hash (dog food in some people's minds), but I love corned beef hash.

Mush the whole can into a frying pan evenly, then make shallow indentations in the corned beef and crack an egg into each one, then put the lid on and fry until the bottom of the hash is crispy and the eggs on top are cooked. Slide the whole thing onto a plate, drench in Tabasco, and eat.

Oh my...
    Unto each good man a good dog

That's a bit different to the corned beef hash I'm used to Beirut, I may try that.

The corned beef hash I refer too is more like a stew, with potatos, onions, all mashed together in a stew pan.

As for spam, I hav'n't eaten it since I left my mams. She used to make spam fritters.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    That's a bit different to the corned beef hash I'm used to Beirut, I may try that.

Human dog food.

The consistency of Alpo with all the health benefits of a cigarette.

But it tastes goooooood.
    Unto each good man a good dog

aaaahhhh yes, I see now what you mean, there's corned beef and then there's corned beef hash in a can.

I don't think we have the hash in a can over here in blighty. We have to make our own.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I love hash. I normally make it myself, however, you can buy it not in a can, but as freezer groceries. With fried eggs, beetroots and ketchup. Mmmm.
    Common Unreflected Drinking Only Smartens

I just had a spam sandwich it was quite nice not to salty at all, looks like cornered beef hash is next on the list then although I think I may have had it on camp
    Make Beer Not War

In here we call that stuff Beirut is talking about Nötkötti and its served in the army rations. To me it doesnt raise any larger feelings,since the stuff itself doesnt taste pretty much anything. I only ate it in the army and if i wont get bancrupted im going to leave the affair that way too in the future.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

The corn-beef hash i've been brought up eating is mashed corned-beef and mashed potato, mashed together. Very nice when you mix in some HP Sauce.

And as for spam - i love a bit of fried Spam. Gorgeous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I read the thread title as "Spam (not the food)" and wondered why it wasn't closed yet.

I don't think I ever tried spam. It seems as disgusting as Zwan-sausages.

Disgusting, but very very mjummie mjummie...
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

What is spam?(the food)

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Spam, though vile tasting, has better ingredients than most burgers and sausages. It is made from pork shoulder joints, colouring, sugar and salt where as most sausages and burgers are made from chicken/pork offal, skin and bone material, fish heads, soya, to give the whole slimy mass some texture, and colours, flavourings and plenty of fat to make it look and taste like real meat.

Post Re: Spam (no the food)

I was going to buy and try some spam - until Caravel posted that. I think I may also now stay away from burgers.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-16-2007 at 21:18.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Blog Entries

I don't know where you buy your beef... but typically speaking I know that my hamburgers generally come to the Market as a Chuck Roast, and then are fed through the Grinder. Right there at the store. No Fish heads there.

Of course I could go to China town...but I don't want to drive to SF just for a fish head.