Thread: Biggest Rise... Then fall

Default Biggest Rise... Then fall

Aight guys well my biggest rise then fall(this was a while back) I was egypt i held africa sicily and most of the middle east was richest/most powerful/ advanced. Then the Romans(Evil Romans) come in a 3 way attack from the east and wipe out every thing(messed up i know) I couldnt stop their main attack since i was in the middle of conquering spain and gallic territories(So i could mess up rome from the north south east and west at the same time. This was long campaign on Vh/H im not a very good tactical commander in RTW. but finally i stopped their advance with a wall of forts and pretty big camel armies and some Desert archers. and then the Gauls and britons came in from the north through spain. they came in from behind then they fought romans while i was a 3rd party being killed in the middle. The great Egyption Armies fell in 187 BC

If i had screens i'd post but alas i dun know how to take Screen Shots

Guys i would love to hear of your greatest rise and then downfall on campaign or battles

SO POST FOR YOUR LIVE POST LIKE YOUVE NEVER POSTED BEFORE!!- My Bro as his website/forum died. hehe
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Smile Re: Biggest Rise... Then fall

I've never lost a campaign (probably because when I was starting I only played E/E until i got better), so i can't post about that. But to take a screenshot all you have to do is press the Print Screen key, it will save the screenshot in the Activision/Rome - Total War/TGAs folder.
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Default Re: Biggest Rise... Then fall

In my first Brutii campaign, I was steamrolling through Asia Minor and making stacks after stacks of cash. There were green flags from Carthage to Antioch and from Cyrene to Tylis, everything was fine.

Until the Marian Reform happened. At first my treasury skyrocketed when I disbanded my old legion, and then it hit the red when I fielded new troops because of higher upkeep and widespread corruption.

Then I had just managed to purge my treasury when the civil war broke out.
    The loss of roman trading partners and being at war with everybody made my empire crumbled upon itself, without any major defeat.

Yet I learned many things about managing that I put into practice in my other campaigns.

edit
    VH/M by the way

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

You shouldn't disband all your old units. Keep the elite ones because they're cool and keep the n00b ones to merge with the 1337 ones. I like my triple gold chevron, gold armour, gold shield Hastati that helped conquer half the map... ahh the memories.

I haven't had had a fall... and there aren't any mongols or HREish faction in RTW, maybe BI, but I don't play much BI. Egypt under AI control usually rises to control the whole East and then gets crushed by the human player.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 01-14-2007 at 15:57.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    You shouldn't disband all your old units. Keep the elite ones because they're cool and keep the n00b ones to merge with the 1337 ones. I like my triple gold chevron, gold armour, gold shield Hastati that helped conquer half the map... ahh the memories.
    At that time, I didn't know, I was just in a hurry to field legions and legions to march upon anyone daring to oppose the Brutii supremacy.

And now ?
    Now, I disband pre marian armies after a campaign.
    Role playing to the core...

But I manage the economy much better !

Aight I'm still new to Rtw Whats the date for Pre-Marian to Marian reform???
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

It's not a specific date.

I've never lost, because even when I started to get owned in my first couple campaigns, I would always have a few cities left, build up an army, and start to come back.

Post Re: Biggest Rise... Then fall

Quote Originally Posted by Jkarinen
    Aight I'm still new to Rtw Whats the date for Pre-Marian to Marian reform???
    Hi there,
    I think that the Marius reforms occur, in vanilla, when there is one imperial palace in Rome and one imperial palace in one other city on the map. Cheers and enjoy your game.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-24-2007 at 18:21.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Smile Re: Biggest Rise... Then fall

Quote Originally Posted by Omanes Alexandrapolites the Idiot
    Hi there,
    I think that the Marius reforms occur, in vanilla, when there is one imperial palace in Rome and one imperial palace in one other city on the Italian peninsular. Cheers and enjoy your game.
    Marius reforms occur when you build imperial palace to one of your cities .. does not matter where that city is ...

Post Re: Biggest Rise... Then fall

Quote Originally Posted by SultanSaladin
    Marius reforms occur when you build imperial palace to one of your cities .. does not matter where that city is ...
    Ok, thanks for correcting me!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

Actually it has to be built on the Italian peninsular or on the island of Sicily, and be built by a Roman faction other than the Senate.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

I had something similar happen to me, I was playing as the seleucid and controlled most of russia all of egypt, turkey and the parthian lands in the east, long story short I got attacked in russia by the brutii and in africa by the scipii, anyway after I lost egypt and russia I decided to start a new campaign.

Why!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Your Empire needs you!

Fight these cowards to the death...never give up or you will never know the glory you may have had!

Still if you deleted the game no use crying over spilled milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Third spearman from the left
    Why!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

Your Empire needs you!

Fight these cowards to the death...never give up or you will never know the glory you may have had!

Still if you deleted the game no use crying over spilled milk.
    well I also quit because of rebellion and unrest in my homelands.

Mine was the Selucids. I was a conquering force in Egypt and asia minor. Then I got cocky and thought I could take on the Romans and Beat them quick. My first mistake was only sending 1 full stack army into Italy. I took Tarrentum and Croton with ease. Then I moved to Capua. That was a harder fight but I came out on top. My second mistake, moving on Rome with my unprepared army. I attacked them then the next turn they attacked with all their force. It was a fight to the Death and I lost. After that I was kicked out of Italy and attacked on all fronts by all of Rome.
    Spartans do not ask how many but where they are.
    -Agis II of Sparta

This post is from one of my very old threads (Carthage Imploded). I have learned much since then, hence the reason why no more of my empires have fallen. This is me best... uhhh... example.

Quote Originally Posted by Syxx_Killer on 10/27/05
    Well, in my Carthage campaign things went downhill pretty fast. I managed to take Sicily. After that I moved west to take the coastal Numidian cities. After that I moved into the center to take the Numidian city there, and then the one on the coast to the East (I forget the names). I forgot about the southern most city and a Numidian army went for the one I captured in the center. By then I had moved my army away. Lucky for me they broke the siege and withdrew. I finally caught up and destroyed the army near there last settlement. The settlement went to the rebels, so it was easy to take. While all that was going on, I was losing money like crazy. I did have stuff building at some cities, but this was nuts. I didn't have that many forces. Corduba, Carthage, and the city below Carthage was near full stack. I had a full stack on the move taking settlements. Other cities had varying amounts of stacks to keep order. Corduba had a full stack but the citizens there were always unhappy. Why? I had buildings for Baal and pretty much was building things on a constant basis. It seemed like nothing would please them. Eventually they rebelled. I had the army siege the city, but a rebel force attacked. I won that battle, and continued the siege. Meanwhile, a Brutii force landed on Sicily by the city above Syracuse (I forgot the name again, I know it starts with a M, I know I'm pathetic). I was a full stack! That caught me by surprise. The M city only had about a half stack, so I sent some of the half stack from Syracuse up to help. The enemy had 333 men (I had about the same with the reinforcements). When the battle started, I let the computer handle the other army. That was brutal! I lost by a close margin. All that was left was both generals. The Brutii took the city, but not for long. I made a big blunder sending the reinforcements - I left the cavalry at Syracuse to keep order. I would have won the battle if I had them. Anywho, I brought the cavalry up and left Syracuse on its own. I defeated the Brutii army. As I was going to attack the city they took, they landed another army with a stack 2/3 high! I didn't have the forces to deal with them as each turn I was still losing money. I was nearly 3000 in the red when they attacked. I had no idea what to do. I have my taxes set as high as possible at the given moment. I had trade agreements with pretty much everyone. I had mines at Corduba. Cities were growing and most of the people were happy. How could I be losing so much money? I certainly didn't have huge armies. And with the Brutii getting ready to take Sicily from me, my forces were getting smaller. I thought the Brutii were broken in 1.3? I was caught off guard.
    If you want to read the rest of the thread you can:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=56307

Ausculta mihi! Tibi dico!