Thread: Reputation?

Default Reputation?

How do you improve your faction’s reputation? Does having a better reputation even matter?

Default Re: Reputation?

Well I'm not sure if everything that impact reputation is known yet. But... executing prisoners, betraying alliances, getting caught trying to assassinate someone (assassin dies), exterminating cities, all hurt rep. Releasing prisoners, assisting allies, etc build rep.

It seems easier to lose rep than build it.
    propa·gandist n.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

It is alot easier to lose rep than gain it. It annoys the heck out of me too because I always exectue prisoners (honestly, why would I let my enemy get his prisoners back?!?!) and exterminate cities (otherwise public order is too chaotic) and if you want a smooth game you really have to do those two things (at least imo).

So yeah, after about 25 turns my reputation is always despicable even though I make a point never to attack allies until I have cancelled alliance.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Occupy cities and release prisoners. Don't attack allies. Have people pay regular tribute to you or the other way around helps too.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

If you want to get rid of prisoners, a lot of times the AI's are running near bankrupt so ransom them. There's no rep hit for when they die after a ransom is refused. It's the neutral option.
    propa·gandist n.

But I'm still not sure whether there is any point in having a good reputation. Or a bad one for that matter.

Good rep makes diplomacy easier. Easier to get ceasefires and vassals, and end wars without having to always having to be at war with them til their crushed without a break.

You might not think that's a big deal, but with diplomacy you can gain territory without firing a shot.
    propa·gandist n.

it doesn't and never has for me, I had very reliable reputation and it made diplomacy or negotiations no easier.
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Try negotiating from Despicable and you'll see what I mean.
    propa·gandist n.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Also, if someone attacks your ally and that faction is not your ally, you can improve your relations by helping out your ally
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton