Thread: The Egyptian Unit Guide

Typing from the Saddle Senior Member Doug-Thompson's Avatar

Default The Egyptian Unit Guide

(Work in Progress)

(BTW, what's the code for having a topic heading, clicking it and having it take you to that topic heading within the thread -- kind of like a link within the thread?)

Each entry has the units name with the unit’s default size in parentheses beside it.

All stats are Melee attack-Missile attack, if any/defense-hitpoints if there’s more than 1/Charge bonus.

I. Melee Infantry

1. Dagger units
    a. Peasants (75)
    Stats: 01/01/01
    Cost/Upkeep: 90/90
    Vulnerable to Missiles; Poor morale

Remember all those threads about overpowered peasants? Well, that doesn’t apply here.

Muslim peasants are the absolute bottom of the barrel. They aren’t even the cheapest garrison unit, at least not for cities, which house better militia units for free. A charging West European wielding a pitchfork has five times the attack and three times the defense, plus a bonus when fighting in the woods (or snow). Throw in the poor morale and the vulnerability to missiles to round out the picture.

About the only things Muslim peasants are good for are: Keeping order in rowdy castles or in cities where all the free upkeep militia berths are filled, manning a wall to trigger the defenses, and cheap labor to allow you to build more siege equipment (the benefit is slight since there’s no sapping ala RTW.)

2. Spear units

Although spear units are rightfully considered weak as of version 1.1, it should be noted that Eqyptian spears are supported very well by a wide variety of effective missile troops. More about that later.

a. Spear Militia (75)
    05/07/02
    310/125
    Special ability: Rally

Contrary to popular belief, this unit can fight off low-quality knights such as mailed knights on level ground. You have to put them in deep formation, however: Seven files wide and 11 deep, for example. You also have to charge instead of just waiting for a charge, and keep after the cavalry by attacking when they pull off to reform for another charge. You can also hit the rally button when their morale starts to crack.

All this makes them more hassle than long-term Total War players are used to. You have to think of them as melee infantry with a bonus against horses rather than a phalanx.

That said, they’re a poor infantry melee unit. One-on-one, European peasants beat them despite the stats, apparently because peasants have more attacks per minute. Set them in loose formation and you can essentially “double up” by having two units attack the same enemy unit, if the situation allows.

Therefore, the purpose of this unit or any other Egyptian spear unit is to hold a target in place while an effective missile or flanking unit does the killing. This is the classic Egyptian infantry problem: Lots of great flanking units, nothing much to pin with.

b. Nubian Spearmen (75)
    07/09/03
    400/155

Better than Militia Spearmen but not as good as Saracen Infantry, and with no free garrisoning available, this is a betwixt and between unit that I haven’t found to be of much use. I played Nubian Spears a good deal in MTW1 and, frankly, am disappointed in the unit now.

c. Dismounted Arab Cavalry (60)
    07/13/03
    430/150

A smaller unit size is the downfall of this otherwise decent spear unit. Note that the maintenance cost is only 5 florins less than a Saracen Infantry unit that has slightly better stats and 25 percent more men. Available early and in castles and good for emergencies. They are a good unit for siege defense, where their smaller effective frontage is not so much of a handicap.

d. Saracen Infantry (75)
    07/14/03
    490/155
    Can schiltron

Basically a militia armored sergeant, this is the core Egyptian infantry unit. It can take on knight-type cavalry very well in a deep, close formation and can perform decent anti-infantry melee in a wide, loose formation — so you’re set as long as you know what’s coming. Free upkeep up to the available slots is a very nice bonus, too.

One trick with this unit is to form schiltron and have archer, javelin or nafata missile troops far enough behind them to launch a volley when the enemy’s fully engaged with the schiltron. If the enemy go after the missile troops, pop out of schiltron and attack them in the back.

3. Halberd and axe units

a. Halberd Militia (60)
    07/09/03
    510/150

Souped-up woodsmen; Frankly, their defense is too low and unit size is too small for them to last long enough in combat with decent-quality armored troops for their anti-armor halberds to have much effect. Once again, a decent flanking unit when what’s really needed is a strong pinning unit.

b. Tabardariyya (60)
    20/11/16
    (Oops. Will check prices at home)

With good morale and very good stamina, this is one of the better Muslim melee units. Note the very high attack number -- this is what makes the unit effective against armor. As far as I can tell, there is no additional anti-armor bonus. They seem to fight better in loose formation, which makes some sense considering that troops in this unit are swinging an axe.

c. Ghazis (60)
    11/08/03
    (Varies/70)
    Oddly, this unit isn’t available in custom battles, meaning it can’t be tested without some light modding. Ghazis are only available from Jihads. Muslim suicide Vikings are the best way I can describe this unit, with a one-handed axe and a shield. They may attack without orders but their morale is very high. They will keep attacking until almost the last man, and probably those few will rally before getting to the map edge. They're perhaps best described as "fire and forget" infantry.

Opinions about this unit are mixed. Stat-wise, they're not impressive. On campaign, however, my impression is that they are fierce. I keep them in loose formation and swarm them upon anything that tries to hold out against my sieges.

4. Sword units

a. Hashashim (30)
    16/21(!) with 2 HP/03
    (Will check price later)

Mean little cusses with the ability to hide anywhere. Even without that ability, that are fully capable of taking on a unit of dismounted English knights twice their size.

5. Rabble

a. Mutatawwia (Muslim Religious Fanatics)(60)
    14/02/06
    Varies/70
    May charge without orders; Good morale

This club-armed unit apparently suffers from the dreaded "two-handed" bug. Until and unless the February, 2007 patch fixes this, I'd avoid the unit or use it to push battering rams and make repeated charges.

II. Missile infantry

This is an Egyptian Army long suit. As noted earlier in an excellent thread by SMZ, Egypt is the only faction other than Russia that gets to build Archer Militia in towns that only have a wall.

1. Bowmen

a. Peasant Archers (60)
    02-05/1/1
    Flaming Arrows; Vulnerable to missiles
    220/100

Better than nothing, but Egypts gets Militia Archers so soon and for the same price, and with no upkeep for some in cities. All this makes the peasant archer a much-overshadowed unit for this faction.

b. Militia Archers (60)
    02-05/01/01
    220/100
    Flaming Arrows; Vulnerable to missiles

As pointed out earlier, these units are available almost from the beginning of Egyptian civilization. Otherwise a generic Militia Archer unit, but nice to have them so soon. This is a mainstay unit for garrisoning cities, especially in the early game.

c. Desert Archers (60)
    06-07/06/01
    390/100
    Desert bonus; Long range; Flaming arrows; Very good stamina

One of my favorite units from MTW1 is new and improved for MTW2. Deadly, long-ranged and not completely helpless in melee. Note the modest defensive rating which is pretty good considering this is an archer unit. This allows desert archers to survive shooting duels with peasant and millitia-type ranged units, and survive the occasional brush with a melee unit while it gets away. These are effective skirmishers in the classic sense, getting out in front and harrassing the enemy. That's where the very good stamina comes in, allowing them to run around a lot. If they were better against armor, the Egyptians wouldn't need another missile infantry unit. Even against armor, DA will whittle them down if given enough time and a short-enough range.

d. Nubian Archers (60)
    07-07/04/02
    470/125
    Long range; Flaming arrows

Not a bad unit, but overshadowed by the Desert Archer because of this unit's high upkeep cost for what you get. The stiff purchase price is notable, also. The only thing this unit does better than DA is melee, and that's arguable because they don't survive as long. Still, the unit is armed with a mace: If this gives an advantage when fighting armored units, it would have been nice for the notes to mention that. Will get back when some testing's done.

2. Javelins, Naptha and Gunners

a. Kurdish Javelinman (60)
    09-06/11/01
    400/125
    Javelins effective against armor

Note that the base melee attack is higher than the missile attack. This is a good dual-purpose infantry unit. However, its real strength is taking out high-value armored troops. Set them up behind a melee line and they'll help equalize the melee against those armored Crusader types. Also, I leave "fire at will" on with these units. They have eight javelins and spend more of their time running around than faster cavalry javelin units. Note that if any get into melee, the rest won't keep throwing their javelins even if they're too far away to help in the melee fight.

b. Naffatan (20)
    13-23(!)/12/03
    Effective against armor; Good Morale; Good Stamina

"Effective against armor" is an understatement. Get these guys in range of anything, and their victims will be effectively neutralized, at least. These troops throw smoke grenades that release noxious fumes. Anything that breathes is vulnerable. Armor is irrelevant. They can cause friendly casualties, but these missiles are most effective when the enemy unit is pinned.

Sudanese Gunners (60)
    09-16/07/03
    ?/?
    Effective against armor; Desert Bonus; Good morale; Good stamina; Vulnerable to missiles

Note the comparison to a typical Holy Roman Empire foot gunner, who has a melee of 6, a missile attack of 14, a defense of only 3 and a charge bonus of 1. This appears to be a very good unit for its type, but I'm not far enough along in my Egypitan campaign to give an unqualified recommendation. Also, my campaign may well be over before I have wide experience with this unit.

III. Missile Cavalry

This is a paradox: The Egyptians are a Missile Cavalry faction, but only get two types of the unit, excluding mercenaires. This is possible because of the quality of the units, the low building requirements required to make them, and — to be blunt — the unexeceptional quality of the faction's other units, particularly infantry.

Desert Cavalry are a castle unit that requires a Tier 1 stable. Mameluk archers only require a castle but can also be built in large cities with a Tier 2 racetrack.

Much of what follows will be familiar to readers of my missile cavalry guide.

a. Desert Cavalry (40)
    08-08/08/03
    Cost/Upkeep: 540/150
    Circle; Desert bonus; Fast; Very good stamina

Basically vulnerable Jinetes, Desert Cavalry has a slightly weaker melee attack, the same charge bonus and the same javelin attack with anti-armor bonus as its Spanish cousin. However, it has a much weaker defense. Still, it's a very useful unit, particularly against elephants, heavily armored crusaders in the desert and against spear units. Notably, rain and sandstorms do not appear to cause problems for javelins.

b. Mameluk Archers (40)
    08-08/15/04
    900/210
    Circle; Good stamina; Good morale; Bonus fighting armor in melee

An excellent all-round cavalry archer and dual-purpose medium melee cavalry unit. It will remind RTW Parthian players of Persian Cavalry. This is a missile unit that can defend itself against most light and medium cavalry types, seize charge opportunities in the flanks and rear, help trap generals and can even hold knights if help arrives quickly. It's added effectiveness in melee against armored units was discovered by katank, who found in it the data files.

IV. Melee Cavalry

There’s a rule to keep in mind when fighting Western knights with Egyptian melee cavalry: If you get the knights in melee, keep them there and look for javelin support. More detail is below.

a. Arab Cavalry (40)
    09/13/04
    Can wedge
    510/175

I’m more impressed with this unit after every campaign. Although described as light cavalry, look at the stats: Attack and defense are each one point below the values of a Western mailed knight. Charge is much weaker -- mailed knights have a value of 6 there -- but Arab Cavalry costs only three-fourths as much to make and 75 florins less per turn to maintain. Put another way, recruiting an English mailed knight unit and using it at full strength for 10 turns costs 3,180 florins. The same calculation for AC is 2,260. Spend the difference on upgrades, or you can build and maintain 140 Desert Cavalry for 10 turns for the cost of 100 mailed knights.

What’s more, line up AC and MK’s against each other in custom battles at medium difficulty on grassy fields. You’ll find that AC survive the initial charge quite well and seem to do better in melee. Perhaps this is another animation “attack per minute” situation. I don’t know. I do know, however, that the AC have a good chance of winning even after the mailed knights get a numbers advantage. Most of these artificial little battles will depend upon whose commander gets killed first. It’s a close-enough match that, in a regular battle, a couple of javelin volleys from nearby Desert Cavalry should be decisive.

Which leads me, finally, to two main points about Egyptian melee cavalry of all categories. If you are fighting other cavalry, get Egyptians of all types into melee and keep them there. If the other guy tries to pull back and reform for another charge, don’t let him. The second point that became clear during campaigns: Melee cavalry and Desert Cavalry make a good little combo. Russian Boyars Sons are better, combining the virtues of effective javelin attack and good melee in one unit, but this isn’t a Russian unit guide.

Perceptive readers will note that Mameluk Archer melee stats are very comparable, with a very close attack values plus the anti-armor effect of a mace instead of the Arab Cavalry’s sword. Defense is notably better. However, Mameluk Archers are very expensive units.

Although the Arab Cavalry charge bonus appears weak, the bonus is not something to throw away, especially against good infantry. The merits of repeated charges still apply against units that don’t benefit from this “pumping” more than you do.

b. Mameluks (Melee) (40)
    11/15/05
    Can wedge
    Good morale; Good stamina
    820/210

A price of 820 florins is a lot for a glorified feudal knight unit. Note, however, that the maintenance cost is 40 florins a turn less than that of a mere mailed knight. At least you get your money back. Also, watch the Mameluks’ maces come out in melee, giving them tough fighters against armored units. Again, once you get this unit in melee against something with a better charge, keep them locked there and look around for some javelin unit to make a vital contribution.

Despite the expense of melee Mameluks, there are some jobs just too tough for Arab Cavalry. Mameluks can hold out longer. Their defense isn’t a whole lot better, but their higher attack means that high-end knight units don’t get a numbers advantage over them as quickly as against Arab Cavalry.

c. Royal Mameluks (32)
    14/17/05
    Can wedge
    Good morale; Good stamina
    1,050/250

This one can go head-to-head against any Western knight unit of equal experience and upgrades thanks to it's anti-armor bonus in melee, but requires a citadel with a Caliph's stable. If you keep playing or fight battles on the Internet, the same rule about keeping the enemy in melee and not allowing repeated charges still applies. Also, it's penalty for fighting in the heat (desert) is notably less than that for European units of similar quality.
    Last edited by Doug-Thompson; 01-15-2007 at 20:08.
    "In war, then, let your great object be victory, not lengthy campaigns."

[Insertwittytitlehere] Member Copperhaired Berserker!'s Avatar

Default Re: The Egyptian Unit Guide

Really good guide. I'm playing as Egypt.

If I was smart, I would have a witty punchline in this sig that would make everyone ROTFL.

I'm not smart.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Doug, to make Ghazi's playable in custom, just edit your export_descr_unit file and add "egypt" to the "ownership line. Here's my 1.1 entry if you want to cut and paste. They kinda stink if my one test was any indication... I ran them against a unit of scottish peasants just for giggles, huge unit size medium diff on the grassy plain. I won but barely, 52 - 36 when they broke.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

type Ghazis
    dictionary Ghazis ; Ghazis
    category infantry
    class light
    voice_type Light
    accent Arabic
    banner faction main_infantry
    banner holy crusade
    soldier Ghazis, 48, 0, 1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, mercenary_unit
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 10, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, axe, 25, 1.2
    ;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_pri_attr ap
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1
    ;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 0, 1, 6, flesh
    ;stat_armour_ex 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 6, 6, flesh
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 1, 1, 0, -1
    stat_mental 9, impetuous, untrained
    stat_charge_dist 40
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 490, 70, 90, 70, 490, 4, 120
    armour_ug_levels 0
    armour_ug_models Ghazis
    ownership slave, egypt
    ;unit_info 10, 0, 7

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    (Ghazis) kinda stink if my one test was any indication... I ran them against a unit of scottish peasants just for giggles, huge unit size medium diff on the grassy plain. I won but barely, 52 - 36 when they broke.
    Perhaps they do, but their axe gives them an anti-armor bonus, if I'm not mistaken. Try them against a smaller armored unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Thompson
    Perhaps they do, but their axe gives them an anti-armor bonus, if I'm not mistaken. Try them against a smaller armored unit.
    Give me a list of units you think would be good for a 1 on 1 test, I'll run some that I think are good. Will edit this post with results when I'm done. Honestly I'll be really surprised if they do anything worthwhile against heavier units, they are light infantry after all, nevermind that their attack is AP. We shall see though!

------------------------

Edit: test results so far.

Ghazis vs Noble Pikeman (with dopps sword-removal) - NPs destroyed Ghazis, 130 to 20. I even tried to run them around and not charge the pikes head-on to avoid stupid casualties.

Ghazis vs Dismounted English Knights - DEKs mulch Ghazis, 96 - 16.

Ghazis vs Varangian Guard - VG's cheerfully have Ghazis for breakfast, 80 - 4. The general didn't die within the first 5 seconds so I assume they lasted longer and didn't break because of that.
    Last edited by Whacker; 12-21-2006 at 22:51.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Give me a list of units you think would be good for a 1 on 1 test, I'll run some that I think are good. Will edit this post with results when I'm done. Honestly I'll be really surprised if they do anything worthwhile against heavier units, they are light infantry after all, nevermind that their attack is AP. We shall see though!

------------------------

Edit: test results so far.

Ghazis vs Noble Pikeman (with dopps sword-removal) - NPs destroyed Ghazis, 130 to 20. I even tried to run them around and not charge the pikes head-on to avoid stupid casualties.

Ghazis vs Dismounted English Knights - DEKs mulch Ghazis, 96 - 16.

Ghazis vs Varangian Guard - VG's cheerfully have Ghazis for breakfast, 80 - 4. The general didn't die within the first 5 seconds so I assume they lasted longer and didn't break because of that.

Well, that settles that. I stand corrected. Will edit the guide accordingly. We can continue, but frankly with results that lopsided there seems to be little point.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Thompson
    Well, that settles that. I stand corrected. Will edit the guide accordingly. We can continue, but frankly with results that lopsided there seems to be little point.
    Erm, I'd suggest to try some testing yourself, and hopefully others will jump in with their test results. I'd hate to say my results are authoritative at this point, I've seen other threads testing other battle mechanics that have had some rather diverse results. I'm running all my tests on huge unit size, medium diff, on that flat grassy map.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Senior Member Senior Member katank's Avatar

1 on 1 tests may not reflect actual performance in battle.

In my Turk game, I had an all cav army with the exception of 3 ghazis taking on a far larger Portugese force.

My 1337 ambush attempt in the woods with the ghazis failed in the most spectacular way. The enemy's 1000+ reinforcement force of infantry found them. My ghazis were surrounded by loads of amulghavars, dismounted feudal/chiv knights, and lots of spearmen. I considered the ghazis a total writeoff and consolated myself with the fact that they were dirt cheap.

My force routed the other army and came back to find the ghazis still fighting and eager. Surrounding the enemy with my cav and shooting then charging broke the enemy. What is amazing is that though 1 unit of ghazis died to the last man, 2 others were still at 1/2 strength! Look at the stats, they dished out a lot more than they received and were only 1 valour. Throughout the combat, they were eager. Eager to be surrounded and mobbed!

They are certainly worth it in my book. Some of the toughest infantry I've seen.

Perhaps the difference here is that ghazis fight when other unit would rout.

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    1 on 1 tests may not reflect actual performance in battle.
    Both true and not true. True in that in large scale battles with many other units, there are other factors that can often affect the outcome such as nearby general influence, other routing units, etc. Not true in the sense that this is an apples to apples comparison, so to speak, and that all things being the same, this is the outcome of the pairings all things being equal.

Doug, I have run some other tests against the same units as listed above, this time adding in a unit of egyptian spear militia. The tactic is to "pin" the target unit in place with the militia, then bring the Ghazis around and attack directly to the rear of the engaged unit. While they still get chewed up rather badly, they do manage to inflict significantly more casualties and last longer than they did when used in the direct frontal approach. I still lost all of the battles fought, but by much much lower margins, the DEKs and DCKs were both heavily demoralized and depleted when my units finally broke.

In short, you have to treat them like pseudo-anti-armor light cavalry; don't charge head on, attack the rear or flanks of an already engaged unit. They're going to take fearful loses no matter what, but they'll do much better in that role. Comments welcome.

-------------------------
    Edit: What katank said below... vvvv

Very well stated, even though they are light infantry they DO have higher morale and stay in the fight longer. They'll still take heavy loses which is to be expected of light inf. vs heavy inf., but will stick around until the (near) bitter end.
    Last edited by Whacker; 12-21-2006 at 23:59.

that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

True. The value is in the amazing staying power of the ghazis that allowed me to destroy another part of their force without interference. Furthermore, they put on quite a good show compared to enemy foot knights.

Perhaps this also has to do with my general. I did have a 8* in that stack. At any rate, ghazis are far from worthless as some may think and will fight while less units rout. Their defense is also not nearly as bad as in original MTW and is comparable to light infantry.

Added info on missile units — infantry and cavalry.

Tabardariyya suffers from the same bug as the Mutatawwi'a, so avoid them for now.

Halberd Militia do not suck; they have that h4x animation like the JHI and the Zweihanders which simply allow them to massacre most units. Just keep them behind your spearwall and counter-charge breaches and cavalry.

The purpose of Ghazis is that they are cheaper than dirt and have good morale, so they are great for scaling those ladders of doom. You won't even feel anything even if 10 units of Ghazis just died out clearing those battlements. This is what they are great for.

Also, I'm quite sure that the racing track gives Arab cavalry, not Desert Cavalry.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Nice guide !

Do Halberd Militia work ? I've also seen a lot of talk in other threads about Speawall Formation for Halberd units. Which Halberds have this formation ? I've seen none IIRC.

I use Ghazis to assault cities. I never wait it out as it takes too long, so I replace my cavalry army (which typicaly the enemy run from and hide in a city) with a ghazi corps at the gates.

Ready, aim, Fire...... and forget.

Double click the town square (once you have a breach usually I use spies for this), go get a coffee (ack! I forgot to buy some and now everything's closed). Come back and it's all done. I never lost more than 50-60 of them either. I have also used them in campaign battles and they have fared very well against much "better" soldiery. Never seen them rout.
    Last edited by Shahed; 12-25-2006 at 10:27.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Confiscator of Swords Member dopp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    Nice guide !Do Halberd Militia work ? I've also seen a lot of talk in other threads about Speawall Formation for Halberd units. Which Halberds have this formation ? I've seen none IIRC.
    Halberds with spearwall ability, from the units file:

French Voulgiers
    Danish Swordstaff Militia
    French Partisan (Voulge) Militia
    Generic Halberd Militia
    Danish Obudshaer
    Papal Swiss Guard

Abilities: long_pike, spear, phalanx (spearwall), AP, spear_bonus 4 (used against mounted units)

They will absorb the initial charge like pikemen, then switch over to hacking things apart in melee. Good hybrid unit.

Halberds without spearwall ability (partial list only as there is no quick way to scan the units file for them):

Turkish Janissary Heavy Infantry
    English Billmen
    English Bill Militia
    Dismounted Chivalric Knights
    Dismounted English Knights
    Dismounted French Nobles

Abilities: AP, spear_bonus 4 (used against mounted units)

These fellows are equipped with shorter halberds, I guess. No special defense against cavalry charges. They should be treated as ultra-quick axemen instead of true halberds.

Weird. I don't recall seeing a special ability button (on battle map) for Turks Halberd Militia.

Turks etc. have the Middle Eastern halberd miltia which is prefixed by ME heading. These are different from the European halberd miltias (I know EE is for Eastern European, so perhaps WE is for the West European/Catholic ones).

The Catholic ones have spear wall but lower total defence. Middle Eastern ones have better stats but no special formation IIRC.

Confiscator of Swords Member dopp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katank
    Turks etc. have the Middle Eastern halberd miltia which is prefixed by ME heading. These are different from the European halberd miltias (I know EE is for Eastern European, so perhaps WE is for the West European/Catholic ones).

The Catholic ones have spear wall but lower total defence. Middle Eastern ones have better stats but no special formation IIRC.
    Generic Halberd Militia are Western European. And it's quite clear from the units entry that they are the only ones who get spear wall, sorry. They have lower defense because they start off unarmored, but you can upgrade them.

On the bright side, Saracen Militia have double the usual spear bonus against cavalry: spear_bonus 8, equal to that of pikemen. Halberds only have spear_bonus 4

I have'nt seen the file. That explains it then. I was getting real exicited there for a moment thinking it's a new anti-Mongol discovery I've just made. Halberd spear wall could be nasty.

The thing is that with the way the armor upgrade system works, even though the Catholic halb militia could get partial plate, they only get something like +3 to their armour at the end, not 7 or 8. This means that they still get shot up like nothing.

Halbs could be viable at bridge crossings and can likely stop an early massed cavalry assault but would get shot a lot. Later mongol stacks also come with trebs and rockets which would do a number on the halb formations.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBag
    Also, I'm quite sure that the racing track gives Arab cavalry, not Desert Cavalry.
    This is true. I'll edit the main post. Desert Cavalry are a castle unit.

Tabardariyya suffers from the same bug as the Mutatawwi'a, so avoid them for now.
    They did fine in the 1 on 1 test, but will check again.

Halberd Militia do not suck; they have that h4x animation like the JHI and the Zweihanders which simply allow them to massacre most units. Just keep them behind your spearwall and counter-charge breaches and cavalry.
    This may be a difference in playing style, but I don't care for them at all. Obviously, however, you get good service out of them. I'll give them another try.

The purpose of Ghazis is that they are cheaper than dirt and have good morale, so they are great for scaling those ladders of doom. You won't even feel anything even if 10 units of Ghazis just died out clearing those battlements. This is what they are great for.
    Here I have to agree. I played a full campaign with them, most of another and started a third, all as Egyptians. (I really will have to play the Moors and Turks sometime.) Although I only use them in sieges, Ghazis are close to being my favorite unit, and I'm a cavalry nut. They are so cheap, you can get four or five of them for far less than the cost of a Mam Archer unit and simply swarm an opponent. Best of all, they are jihad unit that gets Jihad movement points. You can really move, or even move an all-cav army and recruit them at the siege site. Merge the depleted survivors into a very nice, very fierce garrison unit.

Quote Originally Posted by dopp
    On the bright side, Saracen Militia have double the usual spear bonus against cavalry: spear_bonus 8, equal to that of pikemen. Halberds only have spear_bonus 4
    In my newest Egyptian campaign, I'm building far more Saracen Militia and sending them strait to Baghdad -- once I capture it, that is.

Hope to add melee cav tonight or tomorrow. That shouldn't take long.
    Last edited by Doug-Thompson; 01-02-2007 at 19:31.

Yes, you really should try the Turks. Cav archers buildable from everywhere! While Siphais don't have armour piercing secondary etc., they are still pretty hard hitting and are considerably cheaper to maintain. Though Russian, Byz, and Eggy all have better HAs statwise, the 175 upkeep can't be beaten.

Janissaries also rock later on. The only thing is that you don't get a jav cav unit. You really seem to like those. To keep your desert cav, perhaps try an Almo (I mean Moors) game?

Added some info about melee cavalry. Royal Mameluks and bodyguard units left to go.

Finished with Royal Mameluks.