Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sab'Yn in .81

Default Sab'Yn in .81

I know that this faction is still incomplete but I tried it and found it awesome. Are you going to include new units in .81? Maybe more Arabic and Beduin ones, like camels and more light cavalry (but melee the Arab levies are cool but only for shooting javelins).

Default Re: Sab'Yn in .81

my favorite faction atm, just hope the vanilla peasant unit cards get removed and some buildings get added (temples and stats for goverment building mostly)

temples are added, govts. fixed. I am not sure what changes with units - certainly they get unit cards, but I dunno if there were any changes there.

Sabyn is definetly one of the best factions at the moment, even though it's half complete. Just think how amazing it would be if it were complete. The only problem is the lack of desert provinces in the regions and in ethiopia.

would be neat of that odd island group to the south was a region....if its the one i think it has a certain historical significance later but I do not know what was there at this time :(

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Is it true that the team has no intension to add camel units for anyone anywhere ever?

That is true. No camels in battle for EB. I'm not the expert, but I know of the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by HFox
    would be neat of that odd island group to the south was a region....if its the one i think it has a certain historical significance later but I do not know what was there at this time :(
    If you are talking about that corner of land that sticks out of the bottom of the map, I dont think its an island... Its the corner of Somalia, which extends a long way east of the mouth of the Red Sea. There is an island, Socotra, to the east of that horn, but Im not sure anything notable happened there...

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    That is true. No camels in battle for EB. I'm not the expert, but I know of the decision.

Yup, no camels, they weren't really used in battle proper, just for getting to and from battle.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

So were the camel cataphracts another fantasy creatio?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Sab'Yn in .81

Quote Originally Posted by Kugutsu
    So were the camel cataphracts another fantasy creatio?
    I understand the Parthians actually did experiment with such a unit. I doubt it was a huge success, though, as they didn't continue it.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

There is work planned on this faction, but NOT for .81

Sorry, not at liberty to discuss more.

Sab'Yn are a very exciting faction, yes!

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Sorry, I was refering strictly to Arabian warfare. There are some examples of eastern armies using camels in battle.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

From what I've read the ornery beasts kinda suck as shock cavalry mounts, but work decently enough as archery platforms. Or in any case references to camel-mounted archers occur every now and then around the topic of Middle Eastern warfare (eg. the Judeans apparently at one point had serious trouble with raiders fighting that way, and the Palmyrans employed camel archers for desert patrol), and I can't readily think of any technical or logical obstacle either.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

the socotra islands are just pretty big masses of largely unihabited rock.
    This may be a stupid question (prolly is, but is there any chance that there will ever be the entire tricontinetal mass (africa, asia, europe) in a single campaign like if the faction limit was removed.
    Drink Tea

Currently Reading: Nikolai Gogol's dead souls

EB Pointless Extras Botherer Member VandalCarthage's Avatar

We're working very hard right now to make sure that Saba has a very nice unit roster, and some new material was recently posted. Hopefully they'll be well stacked.

With regards to camels, the only serious consideration was a Nabataean unit, and I've given thought to figuring something out for a regional unit, since there's some indication that the Sabaeans levied bands of them from subject tribes and they were clearly used for caravan guards.

the socotra islands are just pretty big masses of largely unihabited rock.
    Socotra was a huge source for medicinal plants and Alexander was advised to settle it in order to control the aloe trade.
    "It is an error to divide people into the living and the dead: there are people who are dead-alive, and people who are alive_alive. The dead-alive also write, walk, speak, atc. But they make no mistakes; only machines make no mistakes, and they produce only dead things. The alive-alive are constantly in error, in search, in questions, in torment." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    From what I've read the ornery beasts kinda suck as shock cavalry mounts, but work decently enough as archery platforms. Or in any case references to camel-mounted archers occur every now and then around the topic of Middle Eastern warfare (eg. the Judeans apparently at one point had serious trouble with raiders fighting that way, and the Palmyrans employed camel archers for desert patrol), and I can't readily think of any technical or logical obstacle either.
    The closest the Arabs and southern Arabians came to using them in battle was riding them in retreat, sometimes firing arrows at their pursuers. They often rode two to a camel in this maneuver. Like I said before the point isn’t whether or not its technically possible to use camels as fighting mounts, it’s if the Sabeans and their Arab levies did so, which the experts on the subject and the evidence I have seen agree that they did not.

Well, I will just keep playing and waiting patiently for the .081. (Hope it comes soon). The Sabeans will be second after I am finished with the Koinon

Fair enough. Mind you, I've also seen a passing reference to the Seleucids having had a screen of camel-mounted Arab archers at Magnesia.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Everyone loves Camels! They are like the fantasy unit that isn't fantasy (though pretty usless). I remember when I first got vanilla BI, and the Eastern Roman Empire had a camel auxilia. Even though the horses were the same/better, I recruited a bunch of camels just because it was something different.

If EB does consider adding camels make them realistically crappy. But maybe for something for variety, and to represent some factions could have recruited camels but didn't because they had better options.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 01-19-2007 at 00:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    Fair enough. Mind you, I've also seen a passing reference to the Seleucids having had a screen of camel-mounted Arab archers at Magnesia.
    Yeah Appian says there were (he is writting three centuries after the fact of course), but you have to keep in mind the broad use of the term arab in antiquity as well. It was used for a fairly diverse and sizeable number of peoples, pretty much any of the nomads south of Mesopotamia or east of the Mediterranean coast. It's also important to note that what we have in terms of sources from arabia itself (mostly inscriptions and the arab poets of the few centuries before the coming of islam) all support the stance that camelry was not something the arabs (at least of the southern and middle regions where most of these sources are from) used in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    Sorry, I was refering strictly to Arabian warfare. There are some examples of eastern armies using camels in battle.
    And what of the Nabataeans at Magnesia? They were certainly not equipped in any Seleukid manner, so they must have been using their native equipment. There are also Nabataean terracottas from the 1st C. BC/1st C. AD showing unarmoured camel riders with swords and what may be small shields.

Are Nabataeans Sabeans or Arab tribes from their areas of influence or contronl? Not last time I checked. I refer you to the extensive archeological studies of the American Foundation for the Study of Man. We're talking about South Arabians and the tribes of the southern and central western coast here. Not those of the north near the Mediterranean coast, who, as a mentioned in my last post, though often called arabs by ancient sources, are not the same people who are fighting under the Sabeans.

Unless, presumably, the Sabateans expand that far north...?

Nope, at it's greatest extend the Sabean polity wasn't even close to that far North. It controled modern yemen, western oman, and some of the western coast of modern saudi arabia as well as arguably parts of the east coast of ethiopia. There was a Minaen (another southern arabian people, often under the control of the Sabeans) trading colony at Dedan (modern Al Ula) that the Nabataean later inhabited, but that's about as close as it gets.

EDIT:

OH...you were saying if they did in the EB universe. We might have a regional Nabataean camel unit if we have model space, it's been kicked around but we're getting pretty tight on the model limit so you may to make do with more conventional Nabataean cavalry.
    Last edited by QwertyMIDX; 01-19-2007 at 02:30.

EB Pointless Extras Botherer Member VandalCarthage's Avatar

Since I'm the Sabean FC, I really don't command much attention, so I figured I'd repeat this for everyone:

With regards to camels, the only serious consideration was a Nabataean unit, and I've given thought to figuring something out for a regional unit, since there's some indication that the Sabaeans levied bands of them from subject tribes and they were clearly used for caravan guards.
    "It is an error to divide people into the living and the dead: there are people who are dead-alive, and people who are alive_alive. The dead-alive also write, walk, speak, atc. But they make no mistakes; only machines make no mistakes, and they produce only dead things. The alive-alive are constantly in error, in search, in questions, in torment." - Yevgeny Zamyatin

Quote Originally Posted by VandalCarthage
    Since I'm the Sabean FC, I really don't command much attention, so I figured I'd repeat this for everyone:
    I'm curious what sorts of sources you used for them.

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

MeinPanzer I think you should be the EB forum's official skeptic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lignator
    MeinPanzer I think you should be the EB forum's official skeptic.
    :) It's always healthy to look at things from different perspectives!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast