Page 96 of 108 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 3213

Thread: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Default Re: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Fortunately, those that died at the end were folks I didn't particularly like or care about

Heartless is what it is.
    I hope you do another perfect playthrough before importing to ME3, or you might end up missing some nice cameos.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post

Heartless is what it is.
    I hope you do another perfect playthrough before importing to ME3, or you might end up missing some nice cameos.
    The only guy who survived that I didn't particularly care about is Jacob. And its because I sent him back at the appropriate part because I figured he'd be useless to me. xD

I'm thinking of buying ME 3 the coming month.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I'm thinking of buying ME 3 the coming month.
    Oboy!
    Well I hope to see you in the ME3 thread afterwards when you want to rant about the ending.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The Darkness 2, glad I could borrow it and didn't buy it, loved the first but they made some baffling changes. Gone are all the adventure elements, why? They made it so unique. The game is now just about killing people in (really) brutal ways, it goes really far you can tear apart someones ribs and snatch out their heart for example. So far also no departures like the most depressing take on hell in a game ever, if you played the first you will know what I mean. The art-style is a huge improvement though, some sort of awesome semi-cell shaded. Imho, this is a game that should never have been made.

Thief 2. Can't. Get. Enough...
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

I've been playing Borderlands 2 since I picked it up two weeks ago, and it's a definite improvement on the first in every way.

Also, Gearbox released the Mechromancer a week early so I've left Zer0 for a while and changed over to her, though the jury's still out on her; Deathtrap feels overpowered even without investing any points into it, but the three different trees all bring something a little different to both solo and teamplay and I've found myself relying on my own 'skills' rather than my hovering mountain of robotic death.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Dwarf Fortress.

Oh yeah.

It's got it's claws in me and this time I'm unsure it will ever let go. My time in XCOM's Ironman mode sparked an interest in a true rogue-like experience. When I started looking for something that would sate my gaming desire but was more free form kind of experience, Dwarf Fortress' name kept popping up. I dabbled with DF back in '10 but was always a bit turned off by the steep learning curve, the UI (or lackthereof, as it were!) and the complex nature of the game.

With the help of the wiki and a few very, very informative walkthroughs on Youtube.. I believe i've overcome that curve, and found a very rewarding game. The freedom of Dwarf Fortress is both it's greatest weakness and it's greatest strength. I feel, more and more as the years go by, that I enjoy games that allow me to make the story waaaay more than ones where it is simply told to me. I like to just let my imagination go nuts and craft my own experience. Games like Crusader Kings II, Mount and Blade, and XCOM to a certain extent all do that.

A small example of what I mean would be the story of my current fortress. While there are many things going on in day-to-day life, a humorous event has popped up which no doubt inspires terror in the hearts of my dwarves. An enraged badger has moved in to the area right outside my initial embark location and is preventing us from getting the rest of the goods off the travelling cart. Now, we got almost everything off anyway (all thats up there is cloth I think) and 98% of all operations take place in my now heavily fortified Fortress. But every so often a woodcutter or a gatherer will get too close and the Badger enrages and chases my dwarf off. The badger doesn't seem to want to do anything except.. guard the wagon. So it's not really affecting me, yet I still get messages about it, constantly, every time my workers think they are brave enough to scavenge in his area.

I can just imagine the woodcutters coming into the fort with their stories.. "He was 50 feet tall, teeth like daggers, breathing fire! I barely escaped with my life!"

Ah. Good times. Someone help me, I think I'm in love
    Last edited by Monk; 11-03-2012 at 03:37.

Oregon Trail 5, a.k.a. Oregon Trail 3D

This is a lot more fun than the franchise-founding original. In that one, it's the other pathetic weaklings who always hold you back. Let them die like the mewling squirrels they are, and you'll get through just fine.

The ultimate iteration's detail gives it much more replayability. Can you succeed with a get-go food loadout of 100% sugar, candy, molasses, honey, dried fruit, maple syrup, licorice, lard, and butter? I can't.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Few hours of Spec-ops:the line. It isn't all that much fun to play but the setting is great, place is a nightmare. At a certain moment you screw up and you won't forget the consequences of your bad call very soon. This is a dark and serious game, just wish it played better. Gears of Wat perfected third persoon controls why not just copy it.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    I tried to play Dwarf Fortress and I just... can't. The premise is so awesome, but good lord is this a pain in the ass.
    Not going to deny it one bit.

Playing a bit of Dead Trigger on the ipad, fun! First fps on the ipad that I got virtual sticks right
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-11-2012 at 10:46.

Beyond Good and Evil. Still don't understand why this game failed, but like the other charmer Enslaved it did. What is wrong with you people. It is really a terrific game and the developers must be heartbroken nobody bought it.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Was a great game, I recall my ex-gf loved it. She even looked a little bit like that main journalist chick, Jade, was it not?

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

EU3 Complete - that is, without Divine Wind and Heir to the Throne.

Which mods should I use? Most seem to require Divine Wind. I've tried MEIOU, but it seems broken. (I followed the instructions.)
    Vitiate Man.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    EU3 Complete - that is, without Divine Wind and Heir to the Throne.

Which mods should I use? Most seem to require Divine Wind. I've tried MEIOU, but it seems broken. (I followed the instructions.)
    Have you played Magna Mundi? It is HttT, but there is an earlier version still available I believe which is very stable.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    Was a great game, I recall my ex-gf loved it. She even looked a little bit like that main journalist chick, Jade, was it not?
    Yep. If you liked it you will probably also like Enslaved, criminally overlooked game with the same sort of charm and sense of wonder. It isn't all that fun to play but I really fell in love with the characters.

Have you played Magna Mundi? It is HttT, but there is an earlier version still available I believe which is very stable.
    All download links to apparently compatible versions are broken.

Interesting: Some conquer the UK as Portugal. I become vassal to Portugal as the UK - by 1437.
    Vitiate Man.

Excuse me for the belaborement, but I felt this was too striking not to relate: Portugal managed to drag me - as a junior partner in the personal union - into a war with France, Castille - so much for our alliance and great relations - the Ottomans, Naples, Savoy, the Golden Horde, and the Timurids, all at once. It took a decade before I realized that the white peace was not coming, that Portugal would never negotiate and Castille/France would never take on its North African empire for fear of my navy (#3 at 23 ships!).

I pored over the console codes, and eventually realized that the only way to break the union and make a separate peace - no alternatives through cheats forthcoming - would be to ruin relations with Portugal and console-kill their king. The trick cost me the provinces in Scotland & Ireland which I had gained from France over the war. In fact, I had to attack Portugal to get them, though they were originally won by the blood of English men. My war-score was negative, all said. Not surprising given that Portugal had got itself totally occupied by France and Castille. Ultimately, peace cost me an exclave in SW France and 700 ducks. A grueling experience, to say the least.

What forced my hand and precipitated this was the mounting War Exhaustion. The provinces were all boiling! Taking on pretenders and zealots is the worst sort of micromanagement - and a decade after the fact, my tech and colonial pursuits are still critically stunted due to my attention constantly being focused on the rebel spam. Fool Joao IV - did he expect our 40K to match the COALITION'S 200+K? France and Castille alone had triple our ground force.

In the present day: many more revolts to come, and Ireland may need to be abandoned as the French shipped in 57 regiments after the war's end.

Really, how common could it be for a player to take over a continent with a minor in this one?
    Vitiate Man.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I grabbed the Pick 5 - Pay $10 promo over at GOG. One of the games I picked was Symphony. On the surface, it's your standard top-down space shoot'em up. But the twist is that it scans you music library and the levels are created based on what song you choose. Your songs/levels can then unlock more weapons and the more score you rack up, the more upgrades you can buy.

It makes a very basic game... fascinating. It's very easy to suck up vast quantities of time as I keep seeing songs in my library that I want to play on- each one intended as the last before I stop....

Last edited by Xiahou; 11-27-2012 at 04:06.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

What the que? This is apparently running on the good ol'ps3, that is freaking amazingly goodlooking http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-ground-zeroes

Done with Spec-Ops:The Line. I wished it played better it could have been a classic. It deserves a lot of kudo's for making you feel really bad about the violence you are inflicting, but you have to. One particular event really stands out, you screw up badly and the results of your actions are horrifying and you are no longer the good guy even if you didn't mean it to do that. An apocalyptic Dubai is one of the most memorable gameworld ever, period. When fighting and a sandstorm kicks in it's truly hellish. Such a pity the shooting feels wrong, movement feels wrong, no sense of weight at all. Why can't every third person shooter feel like Gears of War ffs. They nailed it.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Done with Spec-Ops:The Line. I wished it played better it could have been a classic. It deserves a lot of kudo's for making you feel really bad about the violence you are inflicting, but you have to. One particular event really stands out, you screw up badly and the results of your actions are horrifying and you are no longer the good guy even if you didn't mean it to do that. An apocalyptic Dubai is one of the most memorable gameworld ever, period. When fighting and a sandstorm kicks in it's truly hellish. Such a pity the shooting feels wrong, movement feels wrong, no sense of weight at all. Why can't every third person shooter feel like Gears of War ffs. They nailed it.
    So is that a "I finished playing the game" done, or is that a "I am done playing with this game because it plays so horribly" done?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    So is that a "I finished playing the game" done, or is that a "I am done playing with this game because it plays so horribly" done?
    I mean I have beaten single player, totally worth your time. The gameplay just isn't anything special, it just gets in the way of the story. Now that it's cheaper I really recommend it. It's a grim, at times really disturbing game with a truly fantastic setting. Light spoiler, one moment truly stands out, you use white phospher. Unlike COD you get to see the aftermath, dead people or still dying people, all horribly burned. With a bonus shock. Just a minorpoiler, scene:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhCG5NazVIA Disturbing!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I don't know if it is your sort of thing Fragony, but someone has written a book-length analysis of Spec Ops and the way that it treats violence:
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/rea...-ops-the-line/
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I don't know if it is your sort of thing Fragony, but someone has written a book-length analysis of Spec Ops and the way that it treats violence:
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/rea...-ops-the-line/
    Thanks but the insanity has been covered well enough already in previous literature, read Heart of darkness or blood river or Shake hands with the Devil, I like it that a game takes things seriously though, killing the bad guys isn't as straightforward as it is in other games. Good game, flawed but good.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-02-2012 at 19:05.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I mean I have beaten single player, totally worth your time. The gameplay just isn't anything special, it just gets in the way of the story. Now that it's cheaper I really recommend it. It's a grim, at times really disturbing game with a truly fantastic setting. Light spoiler, one moment truly stands out, you use white phospher. Unlike COD you get to see the aftermath, dead people or still dying people, all horribly burned. With a bonus shock. Just a minorpoiler, scene:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhCG5NazVIA Disturbing!
    Yeah, I plan on getting it once the price is down to like $10 or something.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I recently stopped playing Natural Selection 2, and started playing X-Com. Man, that's a great game. I'm probably going to get started in RO2 again, I hear they've made a lot of improvements.

Spec-Ops: The Line sounds like something I'll have to check out.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Don't judge it on the demo as the way it unnerves you is like a creeping poison, demo doesn't capture what the game is about. It's really cleverly done, most mature game ever. Ever felt bad about killing those who try to kill you in a game?

Other leages, they actually exist?

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Hi. I want to play one of these games: Real warfare :1242 or Real warfare 2:northern crusades. Which one is better? Which one you can play as Russia?
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Page 96 of 108 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast