Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Multiplayer M2TW forums

Default Re: Multiplayer M2TW forums

i want elephants in tourney do you hear me.i wander in the patch if they will have mammothus imperator? they were still around then wasnt they. mount a general electric 20 mm vulcan on the back.

thats wat im talkin bout
    Last edited by pike master; 01-27-2007 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by t1master
    in ccs they apparently are... however, most tournies of old prohibited such units. the mtw pretty much outlawed arty as it had the uncanny knack of killing the general in the first volley.

You mean the tourneys of old which were played on a totall different game to m2?

CCS rules were not made by admins, they were the fruits of a hell of alot of debating, more debating and polling on the ccs forums.
    Last edited by Monarch; 01-26-2007 at 14:44.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Back to the topic of the M2TW MP forums (yes, the boring technical stuff, sorry):

-This forum, may need a namechange. Purpose: anything that doesn't clearly fit the others?
    -Forum to post about tournaments, clans?
    -The learn to play MP forum?

Yes? No?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

Maybe keep the Tournament Fields and just add in a

M2TW MP Knowlege Base?

or

M2TW MP Academy?

or you could even call it

M2TW MP University?

or since it is already in the MP section just call it:

The University or The Academy

I am not very good with names. :)
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

for pariya and monarch...

yest the tournies of old aka old tournaments like cwc, clan warbelt etc played on mtw and mtw:vi outlawed arty. infact the community in general during the mtw and mtw:vi had a standing rule on no arty... thought it was pretty clear, sorry for your poor comprehension skills ;)

Maybe keep the Tournament Fields and just add in a

M2TW MP Knowlege Base?

or

M2TW MP Academy?

or you could even call it

M2TW MP University?

or since it is already in the MP section just call it:

The University or The Academy

I am not very good with names. :)
    I support Elmo's preposition. I would go for ''The Academy''.
    ''Constant training is the only Way to learn strategy.''

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Suggested forum name....Academy A Guide to MP M2TW

This would embrace all aspects of the game perhaps.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

The idea of an academy sounds excellent. You can post unit stats etc... and how they can be used to be most effective. Of course strategy as I have seen some players run straight into stakes and such and not understand why their cavalry just died. Also, I like the idea of replays and pics to actually see what an individual is talking about. A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
    To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

as I have seen some players run straight into stakes
    Hey Flim was desperate, he couldn't get me

for pariya and monarch...

yest the tournies of old aka old tournaments like cwc, clan warbelt etc played on mtw and mtw:vi outlawed arty. infact the community in general during the mtw and mtw:vi had a standing rule on no arty... thought it was pretty clear, sorry for your poor comprehension skills ;)
    I was being sarcastic, I thought you'd understand, obviously I overestimated. I *trying* to point out that you were randomly talking about old tournaments that wern't on the same game, so obviously they wouldn't be the same

So, now who fails to comprehend.

@ tosa, sorry.

if you are going to allow some artillery you might as well allow all of it or its going to unbalance the game and the timurids need their elephants so throw them in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch
    So, now who fails to comprehend.
    me? ;)

it wasn't random really, mad cat asked if art was allowed in tournies...

no worries monarch, it was more for the caged pariya

Think CCS is way too early before the next patch is to be released, it's like playing mtw1 before they patched it. All that debate will be for nothing if we get a huge change in game mechanics. I will be waiting for CWC rules, since they have the forethought of waiting for the next patch.

-The learn to play MP forum?

M2TW MP Knowlege Base?
    No sounds too much like a commercial from Xerox or Microsoft.

M2TW MP Academy?
    I like this one.

M2TW MP University?
    Too snobby.

-Forum to post about tournaments, clans?
    MTW2 Community Events

Simple and to the point.

we are probably looking at march for a patch release so even if stuff doesnt work afterwards better work with it while you can. but since elmark is running the thread id like to talk about this art thing some more.

you know a lot of novice people are going to be awfully confused because you jump on them for having a basilisk while you are using a rocket launcher.yea they only have three salvos but if its timed right at close range your opponents center is gone.

i would rather charge a basilisk or a monster bombard then i would a rocket launcher so what is allowed and what isnt? i looked on the silent forum and couldnt find the thread someone gave me a link to. novice players are going to be teed off because clan players want to practice by tourney rules and novices dont understand them because they aint clear cut no art or ele.

if you ask me id prefer no rules at all it would still balance out. a ballista can snipe a general just as easy as a monster bombard.to me its either no art or all art anything else is going to unbalance the game.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

First decide about the purpose of a forum 7Bear7Bottom, then look for a name.

So, we make 2 extra M2TW MP forums for now. We have three MP forums then, call them A, B and C for now. A is this current one, B is the MP Academy, C is Community Events. That correct?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Sounds good to me Tosa. :)

I think the main reason arty got such a bad reputation was, during the MTW1 days, a few of them had the uncanny ability of killing your general within 10 seconds after the game started. They also, prolonged an already long game, since you would start out with the 10+ minute arty battles, then move on to 15 + minute archer/crossbow/musket battles, then the 15+ minutes of cav skirmishes, then the 10+ minute final rush for the team who lost the cav/archer battles, and then another 10+ minutes cleaning up the last remnants of the losing army. Taking arty out of the equation sped up the number of games you could play and since both sides had access to the same arty, and since you couldn't avoid them in any way, they kind of countered each other out and were considered just a waste of time in team battles.

I am not so sure now if there would be a problem allowing artillery. I haven't played in a game that has allowed it yet. hehe It might offset some of the problems associated with muskets in LATE/ALL era games though. We would have to try a few games to find out. I am willing to play in any arty allowable games so anyone who wants to give it a shot, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cat mech
    we are probably looking at march for a patch release so even if stuff doesnt work afterwards better work with it while you can. but since elmark is running the thread id like to talk about this art thing some more.

you know a lot of novice people are going to be awfully confused because you jump on them for having a basilisk while you are using a rocket launcher.yea they only have three salvos but if its timed right at close range your opponents center is gone.

i would rather charge a basilisk or a monster bombard then i would a rocket launcher so what is allowed and what isnt? i looked on the silent forum and couldnt find the thread someone gave me a link to. novice players are going to be teed off because clan players want to practice by tourney rules and novices dont understand them because they aint clear cut no art or ele.

if you ask me id prefer no rules at all it would still balance out. a ballista can snipe a general just as easy as a monster bombard.to me its either no art or all art anything else is going to unbalance the game.
    We've had this discussion alot recently mate, and ure point is valid and would make the game simpler but there are reasons as to why ballista and rocket launchers were accepted and others not...
    Firstly many of the artillery units work on a basis of luck... u ureself could fire 5 volleys from a monster bombard and hit nothing whilst ure opponent with his volleys could've killed off ure general and made a nasty mess
    Many of these artillery pieces are designed strictly for sieges and therefore we as a community didnt feel a weapon that wasnt classed "anti personel" belonged on the field.
    The ballista is accurate to the point that with each volley u know u will at least kill 3 men, it has been deemed accurate enough to be classed as anti personel weaponry. The rocket launcher is accepted because of the risk, 3 salvos... slow reload, slow rotation etc etc Ure always guarranteed to hit something therefore it had a case for being allowed. At 1100 florins it would be deemed risky by any competitor.
    The competative side for multiplayer looks to measure and reward a players skill and his ability in defeating other player/s. Luck is not accepted in this as we feel it is a variable that cannot be controlled with many units.
    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope - Sir Winston Churchill

Personally I don't care about Artillery, aslong as it doesn't use it's Fire Ammo, that's lethal, but normal Artillery hardly does big damage, maybe 60 units on my 1000 total. Archers do more damage if used well.

me? ;)

it wasn't random really, mad cat asked if art was allowed in tournies...

no worries monarch, it was more for the caged pariya

(please accept my apologies for being snappy.)

Anywho...

dont understand them because they aint clear cut no art or ele.
    Just a point on this, I think you are automatically using the RTW (possibly mtw, I never played in online so wouldn't know) definition of art. But to a novice player, he wouldn't have played any tw before, so the definition of art is open to interpretation. I mean lets be honest ballista are more like crossbowmen than they are bombards.

Oh and it has to be said, to my knowledge nobody has taken any ballista or rocket artillery in CCS and we're well into round 2. Obviously people just don't like how slow they are, how expensive they are etc, so if they're not even worthy to take onto the field of battle...whats the point in banning them :/

Regards,
    Last edited by Monarch; 01-27-2007 at 00:17.

the serpentine is accurate and definetly designed for anti-personel. basilisk, cannon and culverins have high explosive capability. even though i dont want em dont leave out the overpowered catapults they are good antipersonel.

sure a monster bombard is not antipersonel but when you start talking about the advanced cannons they have that ability. ballistas arent exactly known historically for being a major decision maker in a battle but light cannon like serpentines would be nice that would make a gunpowder counter to rocket artillery which is gunpowder based.

Monarch is probably right that the "luck" factor is the biggest reason for arty being banned. Especially since you cannot dodge the shots.

I think you guys forgot one arty that was allowed in the past, wasn't it the organ gun? It was a very short range like 25 feet I think.

As for the forums.....

(A) can be a popery of topics like this one.

(B) For information, training, replays, and helping new players.

(c) For community events like even advertising vi get togathers on top of tournaments etc.

You basically have names for B and C, think A could maybe have a name like the Living Room, Lounge, Undercurrent, Back Stage, Limbo, The Reactor, The Chip Stand, Swordsmen Retreat (nah that isn't politically correct) maybe change that one to Visible Minority Majority Swords Person Reatreat, Playing Field, Spears-R-Us, The Think Tank, The Calvery Charge, Pickles and Mustard, The Back Wash, Grafflgrommits, Religious Zellots Hangout, or just call it the "I don't what to call this place but come in anyways and talk" forum.

But 3 is all you need IMO.
    Last edited by 7Bear7Bottom; 01-27-2007 at 11:32.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345