Thread: The Staked Longbow Army of Doom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Staked Longbow Army of Doom

Also know as The Elmohead Missile Army of Doom.
    It has been used succesfully more then once, and it is hard to break. It's designed to counter armies that are Cavalry heavy ... ie. if you play no rules 1v1 and your opponent is Timurids, Mongols, Russia or Poland expect him to have loads of cav.

Now this army can easely be perfected to your own choice, one likes to take some cav with it, the other wants some good infantry units, but the main part of it is this:
    Spam Longbowmen (ie. Longbowmen, Yeamen Archers and Retinue Longbowmen)

Place your Longbowmen in a circle on the battlefield and deploy stakes, make sure the stakes are adjected to eachother, leave no gaps.

Here's a replay of the succesfull use of an army of this kind

However note some things:
    1. This army won't work in games that have rules. If your opponent has a normal amount of Infantry units he can easely walk through the stakes and attack you, you who have a penalty for units placed so closely on eachother.
    2. This army won't work if your opponents has Musketeers, they will kill loads of men per volley, which isn't worth it.

In other words, only use it if you're sure that your opponent has loads of Cavalry.
    Or use it in teamgames, but do consult your allies first, they might not like it when they have to take the deads while you get the kills ... and they will have to line up at your side.

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

Default Re: The Staked Longbow Army of Doom

One of my fun armies, though it's not very practical in real games. :) It's just fun to use and can hold its own if your teammates know how to support you. hehe
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

Aye, I'm working on an Aztec rush army now, still have to test it tho ... won't be very practical I think

If its a team game your allies just gunna get wtfbbq double teamed :P

(didnt download replay, but I assume its just like a RTW phalanx bow of old with stakes not phalanx, correct?)

Something like that.
    But it works far better (as the stakes can't rout and be killed) ... if you do download it you'll see Flim getting desperate and driving 3 units of Knights into the stakes

Besides you'll see that my team won ... as I told Starcy and Guy what I was going to do, Starcy formed at my side and Guy on an enormous hill on the other side. If I would be in the middle it might have gone better as it did.
    Last edited by Stig; 01-27-2007 at 23:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Something like that. you'll see Flim getting desperate and driving 3 units of Knights into the stakes
    lol, if there was only archers inside the steaks he could of walked the knights through, they don't die that way

Just light the fuse... Member guyfawkes5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElmarkOFear
    It's just fun to use and can hold its own if your teammates know how to support you. hehe
    Indeed, without support that alamo Stigglet built up would have been overrun with infantry pretty quickly. Plus, as mentioned above, the enemy could just simply bypass you.
    Last edited by guyfawkes5; 01-28-2007 at 00:57.

Roflmao... Elite tried using a stakebox in the second game of our ccs match after they got rolled the first time... desperate i guess... vs the stakebox tho it was an heroic victory

morale of the story is steak boxes suck and is popular with noobies cus they can beat other noobies with it

lol, no they are pretty good ... you just have to hope that your opponent has Cav only, if he hasn't you're for it

I played the first game... the second game i had to leave for work but i watched the replay. SA took lots of cav that game... utterly pwnt the noob stakebox. Myself in none tournament matches have beaten stakeboxes atleast 6 or so times and have never lost to a stakebox...and i always go somewhat heavy in cav usually.