Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadly but fun army of Pikes

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

Default Re: Deadly but fun army of Pikes

Demok: I have had good luck using the four fast cav units to get behind the enemy and chase down the pesky muskets and archers, or at least keep them busy until my pikes have moved up into position. The two heavy cav I use to hold the flank, while I bring up a pike unit or two to help out.

In the games I have used it, I have been able to hold the middle, for a fairly good amount of time, while resting the second row of pikes until they are needed to either cover any routed frontline troops or to try and maneuver to the flank.

Considering my lack of time online -- I work 7, 12-hour days, so sleep has been a much greater priority in my life (A commodity more precious than gold!) -- I haven't used it against any of the current top players or clans, just in a few pick-up games. Plus, most of the top players do not play in that era. If you see me in the lobby this weekend I would love to play it against you, just to see how it would be picked apart by someone who knows what they are doing.

The biggest weakness of that mostly-pike army is, of course, its speed and its fatigue, later in the game. If my fast cav cannot take down the enemy missile units, this army will not be able to chase them down later in the game and will end up losing after being shot to death. Plus, the HA cav could wreak havoc on it as well.

I could see where it could be used in 3v3 and 4v4s to good effect, as long as your teammates brought cav heavy armies and possibly a few muskets or HA cav and stayed near your army's flanks. I haven't tested this, since most clan games I have played in are always high era. I also wouldn't recommend that army if I was on a far right or far left flank in a 4v4, once again due to its lack of speed.

However, come patch time, if the power of cav is reduced, thus making mostly-cav armies less effective, this army could easily come into its own, but I would probably take away two pike units and substitute in a few swords then. It will depend on how much sword units are improved.

The reason I made this army was, a new player asked me (at the .com) if there might be any LATE/ALL era army which could win against a cav/musket army. He was having problems winning vs. these type of armies. He has had good luck using it, so it has served its purpose. I figure, since he is new, and since he is playing against players who are also fairly new themselves, this army would work for him. That is also why I originally made the Longbow Circle of Doom army.

Oh BTW: Thanks for the replay in the Longbow thread showing how to beat the Circle. I am in the process of downloading it now. I would have thanked you in that thread, but it has digressed into nothing but a flamewar. :)
    Last edited by ElmarkOFear; 02-01-2007 at 22:44.
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

Elmark the biggest problem i can see is you consider your enemy will engage all your army at the same time. And yours bottom is that you don't seem to see that players will ignore your slow moving pikes and engage your teammates before you can get your pikes there to help.

Senior Member Senior Member ElmarkOFear's Avatar

What exactly do you mean that it assumes the enemy will "engage all the army at the same time"? Do you mean, I am thinking the enemy will commit his entire army against the front of this formation? I would never expect the enemy to do that.

I imagine the enemy would commit a few foot unit matchups, one for each of my frontline pike units. The rest would be kept back or be used to go for a flanking maneuver.

My second row of pikes would be used to cover the flanks or any weakened units in the frontline. If I could not get to the enemy missile units with my fast cav, I would have to try to push my second row of pikes either through the center or around the flank to get at them.

If this isn't what you meant, please explain.

Thanks
    Last edited by ElmarkOFear; 02-02-2007 at 07:36.
    I have seen the future of TW MP and it is XBox Live!

Zeph, if you would be so kind as to watch the replay, the opposing team didn't know we were going to do this. The army of pikes were brought up the middle and the right and left flanks stayed back, the opposing team started to close in on the pike because it looked like an easy rout. Then my allies came up my flanks and also defended the pike position.

So in order for you to get my team m8's first, you would have had to go through the pikes, and as the replay shows the opposing team had no time to do this as both of my allies were stuck on my rear flanks like velcrow.

I could have stayed there all game and let them shoot me, and they wouldn't have had enough arrows to cut the pike army in half.

This is a 3 vrs 3 ofcourse and would only work if allies work together. The plan was to move pikes up first and flanks to merge with it in the rear. This is a very well know maneuver and has been used in many modern and old armies in the past. Though there are examples of falures as well as victories in this maneuver.

As for muskets, I have not tried anything in late yet, since Elmo is doing stuff there, I'll let him explain his tactics and experiments. It's his baby now.
    Last edited by 7Bear7Bottom; 02-02-2007 at 10:45.

bottoms theory is similiar to a battle i witnessed one time where the enemy team attempted to triple a guys pikes with missile and melee cav only to weaken their armies and lost the battle. the other teammates took advantage of the enemies obsession of trying to rout the pike army that they werent watching their main army enough to stop the allied attack.

they attempted go behind tactics but mysteriously it didnt work right.

you see, the problem with when you guys play each other is that you take noob armies & you're playing vs noobs so therefor you think your noob army is good... Personally I think anyone with a brain in their head will be able to stop your cav charge with their cav while their muskets still rape everything in your army.

Bottom, your army is going to get shot up, and even if, as u say they "dont even kill half of them" thats still going to cause massive problems. I dont think you have an idea of how much ammo archers actually have... Firstly it will create gaps, second a smart person will FF on a few of ur units and shred them completly. Putting holes in your formation allowing for flanking and ur whole thing is going to get owned with ease.

As for the late army, they can just plonk their muskets behind their inf and ur cav wont do anything, you only have what 6 cav other than ur gen? and 4 of them are light, so if the player has 6-8 good cav you arent going to be able to free up any cav to get a smart players muskets, and they will rip ur pikes and rout them with ease.

Children, it's just a possibility, there is no such thing as a perfect army, there is always a counterstrategy, and Bottom and Elmo realise that.

Shall I post a screenie in which 3 Silent members are being beaten by 3 random n00bs?

what is a screeny? can you post that one so can see what one looks like?

:|

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Shall I post a screenie in which 3 Silent members are being beaten by 3 random n00bs?
    Please. We don't win every game we play as we try different stuff, but i can assure you we win the vast and i do mean vast majority of games we play. Can you say the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeph
    Please. We don't win every game we play as we try different stuff, but i can assure you we win the vast and i do mean vast majority of games we play. Can you say the same?
    Can we say if we care or not?
    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Zeph
    we try different stuff
    GOTCHA!!!!

You say we can't try different stuff, but you do yourselves

*dances*
    hypocrits, hypocrits, nahnahnah

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    GOTCHA!!!!

You say we can't try different stuff, but you do yourselves

*dances*
    hypocrits, hypocrits, nahnahnah
    Theres trying different stuff and trying stuff that you know and have seen to {censored}.

Oh, wow, you uh sure showed him err yeah...

Zeph knows all
    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by }{Huscarls}{Barrett|L|
    Zeph knows all

He knows how 2 win....Thats a tried and tested theory, u no that Bar ;o)

Pike armies are easy to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Fox
    Oh, wow, you uh sure showed him err yeah...
    Yeah he sure showed me with that screenshot.

SA why keep coming back? just out of curiosity?

i could be wrong which i almost am but never do that i am. i think it could be that they do not approve of this subforum and are attemting to undermine it because they depend more on mechanical exploits rather than actual skill.

of course i could be wrong but never am that i know to know.

My my Barrett, u do have a grudge vs SA, that makes our CCS games alot more interesting ;)

A grudge? no i dnt hold a grudge with anyone... i simply dont like ppl who bash others trying to enjoy the game for what it is, a game...

A grudge? no i dnt hold a grudge with anyone... i simply dont like ppl who bash others trying to enjoy the game for what it is, a game...

I no where ur comin from, but i gotta be honest, if i was new at this game and wanted 2 get half skilled at it, reading these tactics would hinder my progress.

I'm all 4 havin fun, but no matter wot u think of SA, no one can ever deny that we are very very good at this game and no wot works and wot doesnt, and these tactics just wont work if u wanna win a game vs a half decent playa!

with ccs rules i really have trouble understanding why someone thinks that an all cav army would have such an advantage over a pike army when you are limited to 4 ha. usually what im seeing is people getting 8 + ha in ex ccs games.

however in a no art or ele game its more in favor of the cav but then again if it aint practice for clan games why have rules?and late era infantry armies would wreak havoc on horse only armies regardless of how many ha you have.

thats why tourneys should be based on late era to balance the game.
    Last edited by pike master; 02-05-2007 at 18:19.

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Heres the replay for mels pike ball of destruction with a lil help from me :D
    Stay tuned and watch this space for Aztec/Scot ball of fury...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1C3786G5
    I only get a "download the megaupload toolbar" option. Shall I proceed with that?
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah
    I only get a "download the megaupload toolbar" option. Shall I proceed with that?
    Click the link mate, then look top right, u will see an empty box where u are required to enter a 3 letter/digit code, once u do that u can proceed to the download screen

Baz, do you really think Aztecs would work against a skilled player lol?

on grassy flatland no. but on other maps they could.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cat mech
    with ccs rules i really have trouble understanding why someone thinks that an all cav army would have such an advantage over a pike army when you are limited to 4 ha. usually what im seeing is people getting 8 + ha in ex ccs games.

however in a no art or ele game its more in favor of the cav but then again if it aint practice for clan games why have rules?and late era infantry armies would wreak havoc on horse only armies regardless of how many ha you have.

thats why tourneys should be based on late era to balance the game.
    Your not limited to 4 ha your limited to 12 ha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast