Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ProblemFixer Pure V1.0

Senior Member Senior Member Carl's Avatar

Default Re: CarlsProblemFixer (V1.13 Last Updated 02/02/2007)

Thanks, hadn't got round to looking at it yet TBH, so thanks for the info, just a case of not enough time, spent the last two days working on another PC and comingback here for breaks.
    Find my ProblemFixer Purehere.

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

BETA Testers needed for the current version of RebuildProblemFixer. Thread here

Well I've got an update on the thieves guild stuff I was talking about. First off, you in fact cannot set the thiefs_guild to exclude itself - it won't compile correctly on game startup, and yelled at me for trying to make something exclude itself

The next option in line was to try to test for a thiefs_guild building each time a turn starts, and if one is found then to beat down the thiefs_guild points of all the other settlements. What I tried looked like this:

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger Whatever
        WhenToTest SettlementTurnStart

Condition SettlementBuildingExists >= thieves_guild

Guild thiefs_guild o -500
    Basically, when a settlement is processed for its faction's turn starting, this will fire. If a thieves_guild or higher is found (yes thieves_guild is correct, the building name is from the EDB and different than the guild name in this file) then it should subtract 500 from the thiefs_guild points of all other settlements in this faction.

So, I fired up a new English campaign to see what would happen. I got offered a Thieves Guild in Rennes as my first offer anywhere, which isn't that surprising given how much I was using the spy you initially start with - if he does 10 missions, you've earned 100 thieves guild points everywhere. I took it there, to see how it would play out once my trigger was hopefully firing every turn in Rennes. I didn't get offered any other guilds for a while. London where I was trying to build for Mason's Guild got offered a guild next: a Merchant's Guild, also not surprising, I prioritize economics pretty highly. Then came the stumper - London got offered a Thieves Guild on the turn after I declined the Merchant's Guild. I declined that and got the Masons I was looking for on the next turn, but if the trigger was working like I thought, I wouldn't have been offered a Thieves Guild at all in London.

So, what happened? I couldn't have built up 100 points in London in a single turn - I produced no spies anywhere, nor any brothels, so it could at most have gained maybe 25 points from my one active spy and if say London upgraded that very turn.

Here's what I consider as possibilities:

- The settlements lost no points from their thiefs_guild totals because I set the malus too high. It's possible that the modifier is just not applied if there are not as many points to lose as are required, in which case the trigger I tried would only affect anything if a settlement had 500 points built up already.
    - The changes to the file do not stick. We've found a couple settings in the EDU that just do not take changes at all... but in this case I think it's unlikely, since triggers have never shown this behavior to date.
    - Some as yet unknown item(s) gained London tons of thieves guild points all in the same turn. This seems quite unlikely, as the reason for the txt file is to lay out the guild behavior, and I see nothing in it that should do this.

So currently I'm running with the first idea, that the malus is too high and therefore not affecting any settlements. I think next I'll try -100, as it represents the exact amount needed to build the first guild level. I'm not sure whether it belongs at turn start or turn end though. It depends when guild points are updated for a settlement, and when the event to offer a guild springs. Thinking about it for a moment, I'm guessing triggers from the same file are checked in the order they appear in that file... so if I make sure to put the new trigger at the very bottom of the guild file, then all guild points should be gained first (from the building-related triggers in the guild file), and then 100 removed if the total is high enough for thiefs_guild and any settlement has a Thieves Guild building already. As some guild points trigger on turn start though, I think I should actually duplicate it for the beginning and the end of the turn. I'll post results when I get 'em.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

Carl, it is great. Can you request an own sub forum as a mod in the Mods forums?

Carl, it is great. Can you request an own sub forum as a mod in the Mods forums?

Errr, can you can do that...

I'm not really sure that this mod is big enough for that yet, if the mods feel otherwise that fine, i'm just worried of sounding like my mods bigger than it is...

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

Also, a few bis of extra info i forgot in my suprise:

Fisrtm, regarding guild, i've seen reports of people getting offered guilds hat they could not possibbly have built up enough points for no matter what, thus it's quite clear that somthing besides points can also trigger guld offers.

Second, whilst expermineting I noticed somthing regarding missile units. All missile unitas have a hold animation, for Archers it';s when they've got their bows pulled back, fo crossbows it's winding the windlass, for Muskets it's stuffing stuff down the barrel. Regardless of what it is, the delay period is responsioble for how long they stand doing that. I also noticed that individual shooters will not start their reload animation UNTIL their missile has finished it's flight, so it is possibbile to increase Arrow Fire rates somewhat by increasing projectile velocities. Intrestinglly enough, it also lowers the arc of the projectile, this increases the power of long range archary as flat trajectories are best.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl
    Also, a few bis of extra info i forgot in my suprise:

Fisrtm, regarding guild, i've seen reports of people getting offered guilds hat they could not possibbly have built up enough points for no matter what, thus it's quite clear that somthing besides points can also trigger guld offers.
    I actually haven't heard of or experienced any such thing. I tend to think such reports are A. grossly exaggerated and B. likely from people who in fact do not realize everything responsible for getting a given guild house. If you have not studied the guild file extensively, it's easy to think you shouldn't have been offered a given guild. For instance you could get a woodsman's guild just from having a high chivalry general in a settlement, or a thieves guild just from running around a single spy doing missions with him. I attribute reports of guilds being offered when not earned to such less-than-obvious triggers, at least until I see any good evidence of that myself. I may have just had it happen - but then again I may have written a bad piece of code, and am more likely to believe that I wrote something that didn't work how I thought. If I see anything that appears definite, though, I'll let you know.

Doesn't look like you need such big measures to takle the thieves guild, Foz.

I'm well into my new campaign, and I have yet to see a thieves guild, nor being offered one!

The results as of now:

- None of my own cities offered thieves guild
    - No guild in AI Lisbon, Pamplona or Leon
    - Swordsmith Guild in AI Toledo, a castle
    - THEOLOGIANS guild in Portugese Zaragoza!

I myself have not gotten round to building up an agent network, only trained 3 spies, which I've only used semi-active. However, the fact that Portugal built a theologians guild instead of a thieves guild in Zaragoza is very promising!

I'll know for sure soon, I'm about to enter war with the Milanese who have taken over all of France, and I finally have enough cash to train a bunch of spies.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

[...] All missile unitas have a hold animation, for Archers it';s when they've got their bows pulled back, fo crossbows it's winding the windlass, for Muskets it's stuffing stuff down the barrel. Regardless of what it is, the delay period is responsioble for how long they stand doing that. I also noticed that individual shooters will not start their reload animation UNTIL their missile has finished it's flight, so it is possibbile to increase Arrow Fire rates somewhat by increasing projectile velocities. Intrestinglly enough, it also lowers the arc of the projectile, this increases the power of long range archary as flat trajectories are best.
    Interesting find. However, I don´t suppose it would fix the Crossbows arching their fire (who ever heard of that, by the way?), or would it?

@Ciran: Probably not, they will still use arcing fire if they can't point straight at somthing, and whilst I CAN remove it, that just meens they sit their in seiges once the enemy gets close and do nothing, GRRRR.

@Foz: A couple of links for you:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75649

AND

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...4&postcount=16

The second, is simply a link to a post within the thread linked to in the first post. He gives a bit more info furthar down, overall it defintlly reads like a situation where he shouldn't have got an offer. I've heard of other similar things and had similar things myself actually (getting offered theives guild within just 5 turns when i havn't trained a single new spy). It's not common, but I have seen it happen once or twice, with the english at that. Of course, on possibility is that all factions start with some points towards each guild and Theives Guilds, that would actually explain things nicely.

@HoreTore: Many thanks for that, sounds very promising.

@Foz: A couple of links for you:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75649

AND

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...4&postcount=16

The second, is simply a link to a post within the thread linked to in the first post. He gives a bit more info furthar down, overall it defintlly reads like a situation where he shouldn't have got an offer. I've heard of other similar things and had similar things myself actually (getting offered theives guild within just 5 turns when i havn't trained a single new spy). It's not common, but I have seen it happen once or twice, with the english at that. Of course, on possibility is that all factions start with some points towards each guild and Theives Guilds, that would actually explain things nicely.

@HoreTore: Many thanks for that, sounds very promising.
    Well my own attempts to make it so only one city will have a thieves guild have met with no success thus far. I believe that the event that triggers the guild is locked in once the city makes it to 100 points - i.e. a city unable to upgrade yet keeps a running list of guilds that it should pop once it becomes a high enough level to do so. Thus by the time one of my cities gets a thieves guild, several others have already decided they too should pop one. The only other reason I would keep seeing offers is if the negative points don't work at all, which doesn't seem to be the case because destroying guild buildings does prevent them from getting offered again usually.

Though I have no success, I do have a few more ideas on things. One is along the lines of Carl's idea that guilds may start with base levels of points. I'm thinking perhaps points are generated for the buildings that exist already in all of your cities when the game starts. It would certainly help explain why it's so easy to pop a guild in the biggest settlement you start the game with - if it gets GPs for all of its buildings (and the precursor levels I'd imagine) you start with. Especially when this is several levels worth of walls, the city will have built up a huge amount of points for EVERY guild type (10 to all for each city level upgrade, don't forget). It's even possible that the regions your initial agents start in are credited with producing those agents, which would further speed along the guild-earning process.

Another thing I have to note is that guild offers do not just "happen." It's based on the points and tiers in the file somehow. I recently emptied the file except for the top part that sets the guild thresholds, and ran 50 turns as England with the resulting file. No guilds were ever offered, in any city, period. So it looks like you don't gain points through any mechanism that isn't in the file - thank God for that. It does still look like either there's a base level things start at, or you otherwise begin with some points toward each guild (like the building thing I suggested earlier maybe), as they do sometimes seem too easy to get, but I think that's the extent of the influence we can't directly see in the file - some basic amount before we start having turns.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    Doesn't look like you need such big measures to takle the thieves guild, Foz.

I'm well into my new campaign, and I have yet to see a thieves guild, nor being offered one!

The results as of now:

- None of my own cities offered thieves guild
    - No guild in AI Lisbon, Pamplona or Leon
    - Swordsmith Guild in AI Toledo, a castle
    - THEOLOGIANS guild in Portugese Zaragoza!

I myself have not gotten round to building up an agent network, only trained 3 spies, which I've only used semi-active. However, the fact that Portugal built a theologians guild instead of a thieves guild in Zaragoza is very promising!

I'll know for sure soon, I'm about to enter war with the Milanese who have taken over all of France, and I finally have enough cash to train a bunch of spies.
    Good, glad it's going pretty well. What changes are you using to get those results? The discussion is so stretched out that I'm having trouble tracking down the progression of ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Foz
    Good, glad it's going pretty well. What changes are you using to get those results? The discussion is so stretched out that I'm having trouble tracking down the progression of ideas...
    training spy trigger down to 5, ending in settlement and spymission down to 1.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Errr, can you can do that...

I'm not really sure that this mod is big enough for that yet, if the mods feel otherwise that fine, i'm just worried of sounding like my mods bigger than it is...
    Yes, you can ask. I read a post from the moderators. All you need to do is to send a personal message to the moderatos.

Your Problem Fixer fixes more and more problems it is worth having an own sub forum.

Does anyone else have any veiws on this matter then, it feel a bit too much to me, but that could just be me underestimating things. I'd like advise and opinions from other members of the forum on the matter.

Thanks.

Carl.

Just DLed your problem fixer and installed it and started a new game as russia, after taking smolensk with 2 merc speamen, peasant archer and a general my general got 2 retuines added, when I put my cursor over the 2 pictures, no words appear, just a small sliver of a box where the words with their bonuses or abilities would be. Bug? or I install something wrong?

thanks for your help and all your hard work...

What where the ancillarys? I didn't re-write the Ancillarys for this release so if theirs a bug it's not my fault with them, however I should be able to correct them, I just need to know what they are.

well, I guess I dont honestly know..havnt played all that much, the one looks like the "tutor" old guy with fancy learnin hat, the other one looks like a young guy in full plate, maybe "shield barer"? guess I havnt really noticed if any of my other generals have retuine problems or have any at all, have to pay closer attention.

also I noticed a lack of traits for some of the marriage suitors for my princess, they seem pretty blah, maybe thats all part of the fix but seemed weird to me. Or maybe I jsut had some bad pulls, lol.

thanks for the help.

Franz

Right, when you got those extra ancillarys it should have given you alert messages, what did those say, or where they blank, (if you can't remeber, put the character in a stack with another character and transfer them across, if that dosen't work, let me know as it narrows down the possibbile ancillaries).

I got the alert messages, but both were blank, just said his name and nothing underneath (like what he got as normal), will try to move them when I get home if I get a chance....)

Thanks, it would give me a clue as to witch they might be. Check you copied the Text folder across too BTW, that could cause this problem.

is BTW a subfile in SEGA? I did like the instructions said and copied the SEGA ffile in the programs: folder, and clicked "yes to all" when prompted....thnks for the help, new at all of this modding to make the game work right,hehe...

and when a new patch comes out will I have to reinstall the game or will it overwrite what your "mod" does?

Well I finished up some testing with the guilds. You can read the results here.

As for the game being patched, when that happens all of your mod files that have had any changes applied in the patch become out-of-date. You will, however, be able to apply any and all patches without doing anything to the game, modded or not. The patches will only affect the versions of the file that are still packed in the .pack files, as well as any executable code they've changed. We unpack those .pack files to get the text versions that we can edit... but since no one modifies the original pack files that the official updates will affect, you have no conflict at all between mods and patches. To run the updated game, though, you'll have to use the original shortcut and executable the game comes with, disabling any io.file_first or mod usage that you're currently doing. Presumably the modders will work quickly to apply their work to the newly released files, and you should have patch-compatible mod versions in short order after any patch.

BTW=By the Way, it's an abbriviattion.

What I meant is that in the Data folder within the SEGA Folder their is a folder marked "Text" makes sure it has been copied, it should have been, but if it hasn't, it could well result in some odd moments like that. Has anyone else had this?

@Foz, Thanks.

Carl,
    Sorry for the Newbie question, but once I download your bugfixer, will I still be able to play vanilla by using the original M2TW shortcut on my desktop?

Thanks,

Carl,
    Sorry for the Newbie question, but once I download your bugfixer, will I still be able to play vanilla by using the original M2TW shortcut on my desktop?

Thanks,
    That's okay, not everyone would know the anwser.

The anwser is yes you can, no issues their, it will be ordinary vanillia 1.1 with the ordinary shortcut.

Thank you for the quick response, and I look forward to trying out your "fixed" version.

ok Carl, I have no traits for any of my generals, and all of their retuine comes up blank....I started a new game as venice, same thing, their retuines are blank, even when there are picutres there of the retuine members, and they have no traits...I looked and the "text" folder is there with all the subfolders underneath it. very frustraiting since it seems I am the only one with the problem, lol...I have version 1.1 of the vanilla game, so the one patch is installed and I have changed the year to .5 instead of 2 if that would make a diff, though I dont see why it would....thanks for any help in advance....

ok Carl, I have no traits for any of my generals, and all of their retuine comes up blank....I started a new game as venice, same thing, their retuines are blank, even when there are picutres there of the retuine members, and they have no traits...I looked and the "text" folder is there with all the subfolders underneath it. very frustraiting since it seems I am the only one with the problem, lol...I have version 1.1 of the vanilla game, so the one patch is installed and I have changed the year to .5 instead of 2 if that would make a diff, though I dont see why it would....thanks for any help in advance....

sorry for the dbl post...dont know how that happend....ok, went to the normal icon to start the game, loaded it, and my generals had traits and retuins...but then noticed I was still playing 1.0, swore I had updated the game...so I dled the patch, patched the game and now the modded version loads with my generals having their proper retuine and all.....weird....well, thanks for the help, guess I solved my own problem, lol...

I'll download and post results in a minute.

@Tezel: Easy mistake to make, no worries, will have to add that to the README, thanks for the info.

@redpatch: looking forward to it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast