Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ProblemFixer Pure V1.0

Default Re: CarlsProblemFixer (V1.13 Last Updated 02/02/2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl
    @Tezel: Easy mistake to make, no worries, will have to add that to the README, thanks for the info.

@redpatch: looking forward to it.
    So far, I love this! The only noticeable problem I've had is that my assassin gains skills when failing missions. Still playing as Venice (grand campaign) with hard game/VH battle.

Senior Member Senior Member Carl's Avatar

So far, I love this! The only noticeable problem I've had is that my assassin gains skills when failing missions. Still playing as Venice (grand campaign) with hard game/VH battle.
    Glad you enjoy it, and thanks for the heads up about assassins.
    Find my ProblemFixer Purehere.

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

BETA Testers needed for the current version of RebuildProblemFixer. Thread here

All right, just thought i'd update you guys and let you know that V1.14 is in the works, for now it's mostly tweaks to the AI, Diplomacy, Inquisitors, Merchants, Assasins and other littile things. Unfortunatly I'm struggling to get a lot of testing done, thus I could do with some BETA testers, i';ve got a couple allready, but I could do with a few more ATM.

So if your intrested in getting some testing done for me, drop a rely in this thread.

Thanks to anyone who voulnteers.

Carl.

This ProblemFixer fixes the following: 2-Hander bug, Pike Bug, Shield Bug, Chasing Routers, Cav not Charging, Formation Keeping Improved, Trait Bugs, and Ancillary Bugs.

Gettin' Medieval Member King Bob VI's Avatar

Great job Carl, I'm really enjoying all of the fixes.

[q]The only noticeable problem I've had is that my assassin gains skills when failing missions.[/q]

I've noticed the same with Imams when they fail to denounce a heretic.

hmm, keep the bugs coming, couldn't find anything in the file that would cause the assasin problem, but i'll re-check and do the same on Imam's. Anyone else seeing these littile bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by redpatch
    Quote Originally Posted by King Bob VI
    Great job Carl, I'm really enjoying all of the fixes.

[q]The only noticeable problem I've had is that my assassin gains skills when failing missions.[/q]

I've noticed the same with Imams when they fail to denounce a heretic.
    It's not a bug, it's a quirk of the anti-trait workaround that I made. What happens is the guy gains a point in the bad agent trait like he's supposed to when he fails. This always makes him lose 1 point of agent ability, as lvl 1 of the bad trait applies -1 skill. Then the trigger kicks in to cancel that point with 1 of the points in the positive trait. This makes the -1 from the bad trait go away, and he instead loses 1 point of the good trait, which causes 1 of the following:

1. He stays dropped down a level in skill b/c losing a good trait point dropped him down a level. The game says nothing.
    2. He goes back up to his previous level. This happens if he has say 3 levels of goodspy, and an extra 2 points that don't currently do anything because they don't make a complete level. So the bad trait point makes him lose 1 agent skill, but he gets it back when the points cancel out b/c he has spare points of good trait and will go back up to his previous level as a result. The game says he gained a skill point.

So to make a long story short, when the game informs you he's gone up a level for failing, it really means he had spare good trait points - and if you watch your agents carefully, you'll see that it really is the case. They're not gaining stats for failures, the game is just confused
    Last edited by Foz; 02-08-2007 at 17:25.

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

Alright two things:

First, I've updated the links again as FileFactory had deleted the file and Uploadline now wanted you to register. the FilFactory link now works.

However I could do with more places to mirror it free of charge, anyone who knows of anymore should drop a link to it in this thread.

Second, I still need volunteers for BETA testing as my chief Beta testers are still unable to do anything. Stirland seems to have disappeared, and HoreTore has a Virus so he's struggling to get his machine working.

@Foz: don't know if this is what other have seen, but I had a situation where a diplomat with no points of GoodDiplomat gained a point when he failed a negotiation attempt, i couldn't spot anything to cause this in the files, but...

Also, no amount of successful negotiations seem to give any GoodDiplomat points.

I downloaded the file from filefactory but it is very small. It only contains 3 files-two readmes and a shortcut. Is something wrong or I just don't know what I am doing?

Their should also be a Folder marked SEGA i it, I just checked and their was in the version I got of filefactory so it sounds like it hasn't downloaded properly or your unzipper isn't working right, and yes, it's very small BTW.

Thanks Carl, got it!! Will be able to play tomorrow!

just got this, i'll let you know if i like it later

gotta make sure your changes will work when i launch ultimate ai mod.

your instructions in the readme dont work or your assuming someone knows to do something that isnt stated in your directions..but unfortunatly it looks as though your mod doesnt change the main file, so i dont think i can run your mod and the UAI mod at the same time, without some trechnical skills i dont have
    Last edited by Callahan9119; 02-13-2007 at 11:21.
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

but unfortunatly it looks as though your mod doesnt change the main file, so i dont think i can run your mod and the UAI mod at the same time, without some trechnical skills i dont have
    I don't understand that sorry, if it dosen't change anything, why is their an issue? I admit I know nothing of the Ultimate AI mod beyond the fact that it's an AI mod (Duh!), however since it's an AI mod their is no reason it should have touched the Trait/Ancillary/EDU/pathfinding files. So you shpould just be able to paste it over the top.

What exactly is the problem with the installation instructions BTW?

what i mean is that both mods require a seperate launch to work correctly, if i launch your mod the other isnt loaded and vise versa

and about it not working, i did what your instructions said, nothing was overwritten i just get a sega file wherever i extract it to, if i just extract/copy to program files, or sega folder, or m2tw folder or data folder, nothing works

i am not computer savvy, i used to do all the simple tw modding myself, but i dont know anything about using extractor etc, i just learned by screwing up my old mtw1 game 1000 times till i figured everything out, not that patient anymore
    And when the brazen cry of achilles
    Was heard among the trojans, all their hearts
    Were troubled, and the full-maned horses whirled
    The chariots backward, knowing griefs at hand...

Ahh, i think I know whats happening, the Ultimate Ai mod is using a Mod folder. Go into M2TW, (but not data), folder on your PC, (the actual one, not the unzipped one in my mod), and look at the folders, their should be one marked AIMod or UltimateAIMod or somthing similar. This will be the Mod folder for the Ultimate AI mod.

Into this copy the contents of the data folder from my ProblemFixer. Then use the UltimateAIod shortcut to launch it. If it's working DGK sould have 24 attack, so thats the easy way to check.

Quote Originally Posted by redpatch
    I could swear that I get the message that he gets a trait increase even though his skill goes down when he fails a mission. Like it will go from a +4 to a +3 in the assassin skill, but still come up as a gain, I'll look closer though next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingivitis
    I could swear that I get the message that he gets a trait increase even though his skill goes down when he fails a mission. Like it will go from a +4 to a +3 in the assassin skill, but still come up as a gain, I'll look closer though next time.
    Read my post earlier this page, #66. They do in fact lose skill, or sometimes not, and the message about them gaining it does in fact sometimes come up (erroneously). It has to do with the timing of things now, and the fact that a point of bad trait is often more detrimental than a minus point of good trait. All will be made clear... (in post 66, that is)

See my Sig+ below! (Don't see it? Get info here)

thnx Carl for putting this together... i'ma give the game another shot now
    Drink water.

I havn't fixed the AI yet so be warned, it still acts dumb, the next version if I can get some Beta testers should include down powered inquisitors, up-powered assasins and merchants, and improved AI.

However, it still fixes many other bugs so it should help your expiriance significantly IMHO.

Question - I just re-installed the game, updated it to the 1.1 patch, ran the unpacker - then installed your ProblemFixer...

... when I click on the handy dandy Mod Shortcut however the game opens up with the first background screen, then crashes back to desktop... me confused - what am I doing wrong?

EDIT: oh, I also made a few small personal tinkers with the unit and building file - primarily just making the various knightly orders have some flavor (gave Santiago's a ship bonus and their knights a stamina bonus; Templars a trade bonus and their knights a slight boost to attack; Teutons a boost to conversion)
    Last edited by SMZ; 02-13-2007 at 23:26.
    Drink water.

Sounds like one of your bits of tinkering messed somthing up. re-install my ProblemFixer again like you did the first time and check see if it fires up, if it does then it's the changes you made. otherwise, try looking in the system.log and copy the contents here, and ill try and see if I can't figure out whats wrong.

it was my doofus tinkering - thnx, i figured it out
    Drink water.

Fair enough, thanks for the heads up, wanted to check one of the links wasn't corruppt, that was all.

p.s. we where all doofus's once.

For some reason it seems I can't get a skill gain in command from battles. I get retinue from them and I get command skill from other traits, just not the command skill line from battles. Maybe it's just me though.

Well started a new campaign and now I get them, weird.

is the cmd prompt window supposed to close on it's own...? i used your .bat file to start it up and it leaves a cmd prompt window running in the background while the game is on and even after i turn it off.

i'm guessing i don't need to leave it running, it's only needed for the startup, but just wanted to ask how it's supposed to work before i futz with it.

It should shut down about 10 secobnds after the game does, i'd advise leaving it running, allthough I suspect it isn't necessery. I don't know enough to say for sure though.

Anyone else know for sure?

it runs in the background of mine too, i don't think it affects anything... mine shuts down when I exit game

-------
    Feedback: everything's working beautifully so far, no complaints yet - i'll go ahead and drop some small changes i did myself, you can decide whether they seem worthwhile or not

1. Several people noticed that the Russian Dismounted Druzhina and Dismounted Boyar Sons are basically the same exact unit. Same stats, same cost, same everything... one suggested fix was to change the DBS to a heavy javilin/axe troop (sorta like a roman legionare because the mounted version carries javilins) - but that will require animation work to make it look right...

What I did instead is change both the Druzhina and Dismounted Druzhina to 2hp, half-size units. They are after all described as bodyguards, and have the flavor of a kinda primal, ancient style of warfare which is becoming out-dated.

2. HRE's Forlorn Hope are supposed to be 2hp units, CA made a booboo. (they're half-sized, and described as being 2hp style units)

3. Somebody else posted about this, and it's seemed to be working for me too... so lemme pass it on:

In the descr_campaign_ai_db.xml file, there are some suggested parameters for the ai to follow mentioned at the top. Scrolling down slightly you see "GLOBAL AI PARAMS", there's a note saying it's disabled currently - but it seems to be working to me at least. Right now the values are at "999.999" or something - if you place the suggested numbers you saw at the top into those values, diplomacy suddenly seems to work. (Those numbers describe how you can become a "trusted ally" - currently, it's impossible because you can't get to 999. Trusted allies don't get attacked randomly, etc)

4. After running the string.bin converter, I switched England's Sherwood Archer info to say they have 'expert woodscraft' and are 'expert woodsmen', instead of the current description that they can 'hide anywhere', which they can't.

5. Demi Lancers are described as foregoing the more usual heavy armor of the time for greater speed. So I switched their mount to 'fast_pony'. That might just be personal taste, but it seemed to match the description better, and made them worthwhile considering their cost, and the effort taken to get them.

6. Spain's Tercio Pikemen are described as being 'well armoured', despite having no armor initially. I changed the description on them to thus read, 'often refitted with armor' instead, and in the short version I just clipped out the couple offending words.

I think that's it... the other tinkerings I did are really more personal taste than in line with CA's vanilla.

Oh, one final thing... I mentioned it already - but I like it, and I think it helps, so I'll see if you do too. The Knight Orders. Right now, Templars and Knights of St. John are the same exact thing, except St. John is easier to get and offers a health bonus. Well that stunk to me. Then I noticed that the Knights of Santiago weren't any different either, other than being restricted to Spain and Portugal. The Teutons were at least different and had flavor, as they were likely to come from battling pagans and they carried maces.

Well, what I did - is instead set St. Johns as the basic model so to speak. Left them alone. Templars are described as being very involved with business, so I gave their Guild Houses a trade bonus. Santiagos are described as training in naval warfare also, unlike the other orders, so I gave their Guild Houses a ship bonus. Teutons are described as being very effective at forceful conversion, so I gave their Guild Houses a religion bonus. So now, the orders have different uses - instead of one just standing out as being good and the others useless except for those who were roleplaying.

Secondly, I wanted to change the Knights themselves just slightly. The Teutons already have their maces, so I left them alone. The Templars are described as being renowned for their ferocity, but their stats are the exact same as the St. Johns except the St. Johns don't ignore orders. Well that had to be balanced, so I gave the Templars 1 point in attack, charge and secondary attack. So now my St. Johns follow orders, but Templars woop butt.... as things should be. Lastly, to give the Santiagos some flavor - and up to this point I just followed the descriptions, but on this one I stretched just a wee little bit - I gave them very_hardy stamina, instead of just hardy. Spain is sposed to be known for their horses anyway I figured. So now on my game the Guilds and the Knights all have a little variance and some niches. Makes the choices a little more meaningful.

EDIT: All those tinkers were easy to do... (obviously, cause even I figured em out) But if you like any of those changes, and think they fit in line with the intent of your ProblemFixer, but it'd be quicker to just copy paste, or you're having trouble implementing one of them or whatever... PM, and I'll copy the code to you.
    Last edited by SMZ; 02-16-2007 at 02:17.
    Drink water.

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just bad luck, but my Venetians haven't had any new family members for quite some time. I'm on around turn 40, playing H/VH. My family tree shows, at the top level, my first faction leader (now dead); at the second level there are the original 2 or 3 family members, and at the third level each of those 2nd-level family members has 1 child -- all males, btw. Everyone's married, but no one's having kids. And the ones who *did* have kids stopped at one.

I installed your fix over the original unpatched game; I'm not sure if that would have an effect? You mentioned in another thread that I wouldn't get text for traits or ancillaries because of this (and I don't see that text, as you said), so I'm wondering if this is another issue, or simply the result of a paticularly infertile family.

As a side note, how big is the patch 1.1? I dled your fix very quickly on my dialup connection, so I wonder if it would be worth it to try the patch as well, and if so, would I be able to install it *over* your fix?

Thanks for any advice and for a great fix,

CountMRVHS

It depends on how many provinces you hold, but it IS also possibbile it's bad luck, and I have noticed that ceartin combinations of changes produce the result as well as I found out when playing with some stuff.

So I can't say for sure what the cause is, but it could be any of the ideas you've suggested.

The Patch is a few MB I belive, But I deleted the compressed bit after downloading it so i'm not 100% sure how big it is. it's about 80mb decompressed though so i'd geuss about 8-16Mb, but don't quote me on that, about 30-60 minutes at dialup as thats what my connection runs at most of the time.

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

Thanks for the reply -- my luck did change of course, a few turns later, after I got some AI cities through diplomacy and the game decided my family members could start making kids again.

Think I'm going to look into the patch, as I'm seeing some cool-looking ancillaries that I've never had before your fix, and I'm curious about their descriptions. I can handle a 30-60 minute download; it's the 5-6 hour ones that I'm not so crazy about .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast