Thread: Ideas for AoR Units

Default Ideas for AoR Units

As AoR units were one of the most important features of Total Realism, I was wondering maybe what some of the AoR units may be in Medieval: Total Realism.

Some ideas that I have for AoR units are as follows:

Scottish Highlanders: In all Scottish providences
    Welshman: In Wales
    Irish Kerns, Irish Levies, etc: In Ireland
    Jewish Militia: In Iberia ,Northwest Africa, and Jerusalem
    Saracens: Entire Middle East, Sicily, better Saracen AoR units Available only Muslum Factions
    Slav Levies: Russia, Hungary, Balkans, Ukraine
    Turkomans: Turkey, areas east of turkey, areas of Ukraine and Transoxiana
    Various Pilgrims and Crusader Units: Always available in listed areas and more expensive than hiring after joining a crusade on Sicily, in Jerusalem, Edessa, Tyrus, etc. Only Available for Roman Catholic Factions.
    Syrian Christians: Syria Regions
    Armenians: Available in Armenia, Silicia, Turkey, etc.

Default Re: Ideas for AoR Units

i had started a similar thread at i think the twcenter. i agree with all of your units but would like to see the orifalmme guard for the french.

Experimental Archaeologist Member Russ Mitchell's Avatar

fwiw, the "Bulgarian brigand" type unit should be the standard Hungarian infantry unit. "Varjobbagy." Hungary was infamous for lacking heavy infantry of any type, including decent spearmen. (That's what happens when huge portions of your kingdom are either mountains or swamp: it's a skirmisher's paradise).
    Ngata tsukelan mokwisipiak!

just wondering what were jewish militias and srian christains famous for in combat?

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

They weren't famous as far as I know, but a large part of the Fatimid garrison defending Jerusalem in 1099 was Jewish, but they were not equipped differently and were part of a larger unit together with the other garrison members who would have been muslims and christians.
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

I'm not sure about the time period covered by the game, but during the spread of Islam the jewish communities were known for the quality of their equipment, and I believe the arabs learned of siege weapon technology from them.

Megas Domestikos Member AnthoniusII's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thecorinthian
    I'm not sure about the time period covered by the game, but during the spread of Islam the jewish communities were known for the quality of their equipment, and I believe the arabs learned of siege weapon technology from them.
    Arabs i thing didn't need jewish help in siege technology having greater teachers in it like the persians they deafeded and romans(byzantines) they compited for power.Jewish comunities where demolished after the victory of the emperor Heracleios against the sashanid persian and the arabic conquest of the meadle east after 700ad.Most of those comunities had exiled and those they remained where too small to have extended militia troops seperate from other rulers army of the region.