Thread: Disable sprites

Default Disable sprites

Say folks, anyone know how to turn off sprites so that you see the 3D models at all view distances? I know in BI you just put it on highest settings (allegedly), and I though on RTW you change the unit settings to ultra_high or super_high in preferences.txt, but that didn't work. Sprites were still appearing at certain distances.

Default Re: Disable sprites

Open descr_model_battle.txt and search for "60.0" and replace all instances with "1000.0". Then do a search for "100.0" and again replace all instances with "1000.0".

I've never tried this. if it causes the game to crash, try it again with a smaller number, like 500.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

I wouldn't try it myself. I remember trying to play Troy Total War in the days before we had sprites. It was agony. It didn't crash, but it did run excessively slowly. It was mind-numbingly slow.

Enforcer of Exonyms Member Barbarossa82's Avatar
    Englaland (and don't let the Normans tell you any different!)

I've had instances where I've added units to the game and not done sprites for them, and the game seems to use the 3d model at all distances. This occurred when there was no sprite line in descr_model_battle. The result wasn't great, as at max zoom-out the unit's men appeared to vibrate or shimmer slightly. I don't know whether this was due to my poor graphics card or just some weirdness caused by trying to display the 3d model too small. Once I made sprites for them they looked just fine.

The only advantage to not using the sprites was that men still had shields when you zoomed out. The sprite generator can't put shields on its models (or at least I've never been able to find out how), so they suddenly appear on the unit as you zoom in. This can be very noticeable and silly-looking with units like Nubian Infantry in vanilla. Disabling the sprite deals with this.
    Self-proclaimed winner of the "Member who Looks Most Like their Avatar" contest 2007

My Armenian AAR

I though on RTW you change the unit settings to ultra_high or super_high in preferences.txt, but that didn't work. Sprites were still appearing at certain distances.
    set unit deteils in the options menu to the highest settings, than all sprites are disabled. What you see then are the LOD models and no sprites.
    Last edited by Bonny; 02-07-2007 at 18:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny
    set unit deteils in the options menu to the highest settings, than all sprites are disabled. What you see then are the LOD models and no sprites.
    Oh cool, thanks. What are LOD models out of curiosity?

LOD stands for "Level Of Detail", basicly the closer you are from a unit the more detail it wil have

Oh cool, thanks. What are LOD models out of curiosity?
    Al models can have several "levels of detail" (3 or four, don't now really).
    The lowest model has the lowest number of polygons (if you look at such amodel you can see for exmple that the foots had gone).

If you you zoom out all high detail models will be replaced by medium details and then by low details models, if you zoom out more all 3d models will be replaced by sprites (2d textures).

If you you select the highest detail level in the options menu the sprites are deactived and you will only see the low detail unit of you zoom out (which is pretty hardware intense)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny
    Al models can have several "levels of detail" (3 or four, don't now really).
    The lowest model has the lowest number of polygons (if you look at such amodel you can see for exmple that the foots had gone).

If you you zoom out all high detail models will be replaced by medium details and then by low details models, if you zoom out more all 3d models will be replaced by sprites (2d textures).

If you you select the highest detail level in the options menu the sprites are deactived and you will only see the low detail unit of you zoom out (which is pretty hardware intense)
    Ahh, very good, very good. Indeed my new comp handles it pretty well and I've been enjoying EB's beauty immensly. I'm really kind of going crazy here waiting for 0.81 though, I gotta' tell you. I can't wait, if for nothing else but for all the unit cards being ready to go..... and of course everything else you guys have added these past few months. Can't wait! My 0.80 Carthage campaign was really great, looking forward to more fun.