Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medieval's Rome: Total War mod input thread

Default Re: Medieval's Rome: Total War mod input thread

Any more progress?

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

*Bump*

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Hi mate
    Any progress in this fine mod your making mate???

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

This mod looked like agreat idea, but Kaidonni didn't exactly get many offers of help. Oh well, you can't win em all.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Ye mate i know but i dont know how to mod, I got help maybe with information or other things just let me know ?? but maybe somme other modders got help if thye are reddy with there mod? i hope so

Greetings,

I was contemplating on creating a mod with the same theme. Rome:Total War has always fascinated me, both for its visuals and the historical period in which it is meant to take place. However, I found the gameplay lacking. Regardless, I was thinking of creating this mod for my own pleasure but if you're willing to help then perhaps we can co-operate ?

Hi
    Say yes Kaidonni and if i cane help with somme let me know

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Greetings Leith ,, I to play RTW and find it lacking ,, I was dissapointed like Axel to see this mod evaporate due to lack of interest ,, Anyway !! Good news is most of the work has been done ... Im also willing to support in as many ways possible but I must admit Im only starting out on the modding scene ... OK First I would like to mention a Roman Mod that came out some 4/5 yrs ago - I have it and can send it to you (( PM me )) you can also download the "Fall of Rome" mod and get permission to use whatever from that mod as well ,, I also suggested some time ago to other modders to look into adapting bits & peices from other games to capture the theme ,, In your case ,, pics , portraits , temples , etc etc from RTW into your mod ..
    I really hope you have the skill ,confidence, time & patience to see your dream mod come true and Im certain others will offer their assistance as well ,, cheers for now ,, DTS

Thumbs up Re: Medieval's Rome: Total War mod input thread

Salutations, Dimitrios The Samian! Thank you for showing interest. Good to know other MTW players would like to see this mod come to life. I have done several mods (all for my pleasure) before I came across this website. So I have some experience in modding MTW but I would be very grateful for any assistance you may offer, friend. PM is on its way!

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. England.

Interesting...I haven't been around looking into doing this mod because of other things like uni work. The idea of co-oping sounds best, since as if you get one person with this idea, fine. Two who have similar ideas, even better. More who like it..."Excellent".

I'll try to stick around now. It's all the little things that get in the way (including continuing trying to play XL, M2, and other games, and uni work). Especially laziness with me...though I am getting way out of that now.

Having multiple people working on this is probably the best thing anyway (makes me think of Lusted - he puts lots of effort into his mods, but still gets help from other people).

As for pics, portraits, etc...I was thinking of new ones for this mod. Nothing like a fresh take on a concept.
    Last edited by Kaidonni; 04-06-2007 at 12:29.
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

Hi mate
    I never made a mod and i dont know how to mod but if there s sommething i cane do let me know like finding info or pics or sommething or maybe i cane learn
    just let me know

Of course you can learn. :)

I've never made a mod in MTW in my entire life, and have only ever modded RTW myself to a short extent.

There are plenty of topics on how to mod around that we can all take a good look at. But at the moment, it's the concept that matters.

There must be a good balance of gameplay V historical accuracy, as has been pointed out earlier in the thread. Given that the maximum number of provinces allowed is 107 and the maximum number of factions is around 30 (excluding rebels, since as they will always be in), we need to think about the scope of the map and the factions to be included, and what provinces to include.

I have bookmarked some online maps of Asia Minor and Europe, but getting a really good source for maps of ancient borders, well, is entirely another matter. There will probably be no single source we can look at and reference, so a host of sources is better. About.com is very useful for ancient map searches (where I found these maps, but you will have to go through a fair number of links to find what you really need there). Of course, someone else might know of a good source or sources. We can always ask the Rome Total Realism team if they're willing to share some of their sources so we can plan the map and factions out.

Let's throw some conceptual ideas about, yes?
    I believe in a society without rules, laws and regulations. A society where there are only ideas - strict ideas that must be followed to by the letter - and any failure to comply is punishable by death. This would be no dictatorship or police state, no one would be living in terror. It would merely be a 'reassessment of one's preferences,' people living in 'not-so-optimistic security.' So, welcome, those who are 'longing to be blindly obedient and loyal, unbeknownst to them.'

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Hey guys, an RTW player here

Some things you should change:

Medieval’s Rome: Total War

Proposed Features
    - 17 entirely new factions – play as the Republic of Rome and crush the Carthaginians and other enemies of Rome – or play as the Macedonians and rebuild Alexander's empire;

Thats a good idea.You should contact Europa Barbarorum or Rome Total Realism.They have a good historical base.

- Entirely new map covering Europe, Northern Africa, the Middle East and Asia, complete with new regions;

Thats a good idea, but you can bring some from RTW

- Length of game spanning from 295BC when the Romans defeated an alliance of Samnites, Etruscans and Gaul to 79AD when Vesuvius erupted and buried Pompeii and many other Roman towns;

- Entirely new technology tree with new art for all buildings and units, including unique technology tree paths for different factions – while the ‘civilised’ factions can build to the top levels, the ‘barbarian’ factions will be more limited;

As the same as Rome.Im not sure how many levels, but Roman factions had 5 and barbarian 3

- Entirely new portraits and names for all characters;

Good.And remember, Roman names were used with v, not u.

- Titles to reflect the era (including titles for the Romans such as Aedile, Quaestor, and Consul);
    Is posssible?

- A number of new religions (and two old ones – Judaism and Heretics), complete with agents to preach their ways;

Not used in Rome

- New region bonuses;
    - The Seven Wonders of the World;
    - Homelands/Auxilia-based recruitment system;
    - Pre-Marian and Post-Marian eras - when it hits 107BC, the Romans can begin building legions;
    - Recruitable historic characters such as Julius Caesar, Hannibal and Vercingetorix.

Faction List (WIP)
    1. Republic of Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Epirus
    4. Greek Cities
    5. Macedonia
    6. Kingdom of Pergamum
    7. Pontus
    8. Seleucid Empire
    9. Ptolemaic Empire
    10. Armenia
    11. Parthia
    12. Germania
    13. Britannia
    14. Gaul
    15. Iberia
    16. Sarmatia
    17. Rebels

Religions (WIP)
    1. Hellenism
    2. Roman Paganism (the Di Indigetes and De Novensides)
    3. Celtic Paganism
    4. Zoroastrianism
    5. Judaism
    6. Heretical Cults

Cultures (WIP)
    NB: Based on architecture, character portraits and unit/settlement pieces.
    1. Roman and Hellenic - shared (Republic of Rome, Epirus, Greek Cities, Macedonia, Kingdom of Pergamum, Seleucid Empire);
    2. Eastern (Carthage, Pontus, Armenia, Parthia);
    3. Barbarian (Gaul, Germania, Britannia, Iberia, Sarmatia);
    4. Egyptian (Ptolemaic Empire)? *Possibly Eastern instead if hardcode limits do not allow a complete fourth culture set

Seven Wonders of the World (WIP)
    NB: The exact mechanisms for these wonders are speculative – I do not know to what extent I will be able to implement benefits provided by them with MTW:VI’s engine.
    1. The Statue of Zeus
    2. The Mausoleum at Harlicarnassus
    3. The Temple of Artemis
    4. The Colossus at Rhodes
    5. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon – increased farming output
    6. The Pyramids and Sphinx at Giza
    7. The Pharos Lighthouse

Well, some ideas to help you.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Looks good. Except the Ptolemaic Empire should be greek culture.

RM3

Thumbs up Re: Medieval's Rome: Total War mod input thread

Hello everyone!

I think we must start somewhere. In other words, why not work on the existing map, inserting the factions we would like to have, throwing in a few units for the Roman faction and a few others for the "barbarians", and THEN we could gradually modify the map features, factions, units and what not ?

We could also make recommendations/suggestions as to what units each faction should have. How about starting with the Roman faction ?

My initial list includes, but is not exclusive to,the following:

1-Velites
    2-Hastati
    3-Principes
    4-Praetorian Guard
    5-Auxilia
    6-Sagittari
    7-Triarri
    8-Roman Archers
    9-Republican Legion
    10-Imperial Legion
    11-Equites
    12-Praetorian Cavalry
    13-Legionary Cavalry
    14-Gladiators
    15-Auxilary Cavalry

Please let me know what you think

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Welcome to the org

Not a bad idea sir, but remember, there are troops which cant be trained after the Reforms.

I will help you historically talking

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

I think someone already made this point, but use the Eras feature to simulate reforms. First Era troops would be:

Camillan Troops:
    Leves
    Hastati
    Principes
    Triarii
    Accensi
    Rorarii
    Eqvites Romanvm

Second Era would represent Polybian Reforms:
    Velites
    Hastati
    Principes
    Triarii
    Funditores
    Eqvites Romanvm
    Eqvites Consvlares

Third Era could Represent the introduction into republican Legions:

Look into these/ Use unit names from Roma Surrectum

Fourth Era would be Imperial Legions:

Look into these/ Use unit names from Roma Surrectum
    Last edited by Roman_Man#3; 04-07-2007 at 21:39.

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

Fantastic !!! It certainly looks like this mod will create a lot of interest and to have such great support in so little time is very encouraging ,, Ok I must sign out now but I'll be emailing you tonite with very good news ,, cheers to all that are offering help ,, DTS

Smile Re: Medieval's Rome: Total War mod input thread

Caius Flaminius, oh, your knowledge of Roman history would be most appreciated! What I meant by my previous post is that we, those who are interested in creating this mod, could actually start doing something practical. I appreciate all the nice and constructive thoughts that have been put into this thread. In my view, things would progress better if we were discussing the different aspects of the mod while playing the Alpha build, for example. To this end, I have been fiddling with some unit graphics in an attempt to come up with some plausible Roman infantry units but it is very time-consuming.

The greatest challenge for this mod, in my humble opinion, is the graphical aspect, i.e creating Roman legions a la Rome: Total War (and even better ), Macedonian Phalangites who look and FIGHT like they should! Hellenic: Total War had awesome looking Hoplite infantry but their fighting animations were most disappointing. The same goes for most of the units in this mod (apart from Tower Shield pikemen--a unit found in the Bronze Age Expansion for HTW.

What gives me hope that this could be achieved is the superb animations made by Duke John, and others, in the Middle Earth: Total War Mod.

Back to Roman units' suggestions, I am no history expert but I remember that the early Roman units, mainly the Hastati, Principes and Triarii, had different equipment later on. For example, the Hastati and Principes' bronze helmets were replaced by iron ones, since the bronze helmets were vulnerbale to the "barbarians" longswords. If this is true, then we could have a first-generation Hastati, wearing a bronze helmet and a second generation Hastati, wearing an iron one. That could be represented graphically and statistically too.

I'd appreciate any information on what type of weapons/armour Roman units had. Recommeded websites/books would be great!

Cheers for now!

Unhappy Re: Medieval's Rome: Total War mod input thread

Hi Leith
    I cant mod, but i cane seek for information for you and ill will come with info site s asap

If you want rebels, Rome have a big list.

But Iberian rebels can be the real people who lived there.I mean, the real Iberian Tribes.

Faction List (WIP)
    1. Republic of Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Epirus
    4. Greek Cities
    5. Macedonia
    6. Kingdom of Pergamum
    7. Pontus
    8. Seleucid Empire
    9. Ptolemaic Empire
    10. Armenia
    11. Parthia
    12. Germania
    13. Britannia
    14. Gaul
    15. Iberia
    16. Sarmatia
    17. Rebels
    Glad to see Epirus!They werent on Rome.

Back to Roman units' suggestions, I am no history expert but I remember that the early Roman units, mainly the Hastati, Principes and Triarii, had different equipment later on. For example, the Hastati and Principes' bronze helmets were replaced by iron ones, since the bronze helmets were vulnerbale to the "barbarians" longswords. If this is true, then we could have a first-generation Hastati, wearing a bronze helmet and a second generation Hastati, wearing an iron one. That could be represented graphically and statistically too.
    There are a special formation for the three units mentionated above.

Can post a l pic soon

my two cents

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Faction List (WIP)
    1. Republic of Rome
    2. Carthage
    3. Epirus
    4. Greek Cities
    5. Macedonia
    6. Kingdom of Pergamum
    7. Pontus
    8. Seleucid Empire
    9. Ptolemaic Empire
    10. Armenia
    11. Parthia
    12. Germania
    13. Britannia
    14. Gaul
    15. Iberia
    16. Sarmatia
    17. Rebels
    I think you could revise this some more. First 5 are good. For the limited space, I don't think Pergamum is the best faction. Maybe the Getae would be more reasonable.
    Because this mod isn't for RTW, I don't think EB would mind if we used some of their factions, units etc.

Germania-Sweboz
    Brittannia-If you must, the Casse.
    Gaul-Arverni or Aedui
    Iberia- Celt-Iberians or Lusotanians

@ Caius Flaminius. It was the manipular formation

Default AW: Medieval's Rome: Total War mod input thread

Hi, I don't know wether this is usefull or not, but I've found some links, mainly about the roman army with pics etc.:

http://www.roman-empire.net/ (Info about history and roman army in different times)

http://www.redrampant.com/ (Troop types and pictures of Romans and other factions)

http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/%7Emadsb/home/war/vegetius/ (a little bit info about weapons and army in general)

http://www.garyb.0catch.com/site_map.html (info about tactics, troops in general and range of missiles)

http://www.romancoins.info/ (some pictures of equipment)

http://198.144.2.125/Roman/Roman.htm (pictures of reconstructed equipment)

I REALLY hope that this mod will become reality
    "Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both."
    "Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

---GFM Erwin Rommel

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

*Tumble weed passes by*

Update please? I wouldn't want to see this mod fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

what about the saxons the viking faction for this mod not just for britian campain but for europe.

im sory i didn't read all of this but i think the viking factions should be included.
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

Quote Originally Posted by Bonfire
    what about the saxons the viking faction for this mod not just for britian campain but for europe.

im sory i didn't read all of this but i think the viking factions should be included.
    Viking factions?

There are barbarian factions...

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Hi
    Is this mod still going on???

Some suggestions:

-Using religions as a substitute for culture: Old politheistic religions were strongly sychretistic, and as such, assimilated into the conçueror's belief system. Thus, it would be more "realistic" to remove religion altogether and replace it with the four "cultures" (Hellenic, Eastern...). This way, hovering over Greece or Rome would give you "Rome, an Hellenic -or whatever label- faction", for instance, and hovering over Carthage would give you "Carthage, an Eastern Faction". Also, instead of using priests, make it so that Culture-specific buildings spread that given culture (and in this example: Carthage, despite being on the "Western factions" game-culture, in the religion-culture setting it would be dubbed as Eastern, and be compatible with "Eastern but civilized factions")

-Instead of using culture as unit-limitator, dump the "civilized factions" such as Rome and Carthage in one group, the "Civilized but eastern" (such as Parthia) in another group, and barbarians in a third group. Use faction-specific units for each added faction, with some common culturals, and give culture the role of determining the base building tech, and the like

-Remove provinces from Eastern Russia in favor of increasing provinces in Western Europe and Northern Africa. That's where the action takes place anyway.

-Extend the game periods, as to have a "Republic", "Roman Civil Wars", "Principate(early Empire", and "Tetrarchy" (Late Empire, with split into Eastern and Western halves)

-To simulate the "barbarian invasions: high rebellion rate to Germania and other historically non-romanized provinces. Also, as the Tetrarchy era draws close, increase support costs for Roman units (to represent the political-economical crisis), and provide the barbarians with cheap units (and some decent "incoming tech", such as the Hun bow, or horseshoes. Romans should also get access to these "barbarian tech improvements", as they historically adapted, but it should be at a higher cost)
    (that's all for now...)
    Iä Cthulhu!

Okay...I'll spend more time looking at work on this mod now. I still have other things to do, but I must prevent myself from descending into laziness.

The idea of having cultures instead of religion...perfect! It could possibly include:
    1) Roman
    2) Hellenic (The Ptolemaics included in this?)
    3) Eastern
    4) Barbarian

Just a jumping-off point, of course. Not sure whether we'd allow agents to have anything to do with it. Might be better to resort to special buildings that help speed up the cultural assimilation. EDIT: Oops, didn't read properly, you already said that...LOL!

Looking back at the factions and the map...I'd prefer more factions, a bit like XL, because it could make the map more interesting. I'm not really a fan for fields of rebels. Of course, that's just me, and since as other people want to help out, they have a say in it.

I personally would like to fit Parthia and Armenia in, and possibly Numidia. One of the mods from RTW I used to play (that game is uninstalled at the moment...this computer needs the space) was Lusted's Terrae Expugnandae (Land's To Conquer). He had numerous factions and extended the map in the mod (of course, such an extension would probably be out of the question for this mod).

As for the eras...any ideas are much appreciated. I myself have simplified my preference to that such as pre-Marian and post-Marian, but it might be too simplistic.

Thinking about the heirs system for the Romans...it might be better if they were allowed to 'elect' their leaders rather than limit them to having a family tree. Seems a bit more historic. But again, just my opinion.
    Last edited by Kaidonni; 05-29-2007 at 13:40.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast