Thread: How do you change your faction heir?

Default How do you change your faction heir?

I remember in Rome there is a button on the family tree. However, I can't find it this time around. My current faction heir was on his way to glory. However, he has fallen off due to idleness in the city. There's this young general with high command, loyalty, piety and chivalry who won 2 heroic victories and led a successful Crusade and is still out there conquering. I want to make the latter the faction heir. How do I do that?

Default Re: How do you change your faction heir?

You can't. Well, that's not entirely true, but you'd need to kill off every faction heir you have until the right general is named faction heir.

You can't, dont ask me why, they did it for historic reasons. I think this was a bad choice because I am constantly in your EXACT situation. My current heir and king are both lunatics with little authority....

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone did it...it involved a lot of random clicking.

I am not sure on the percentage of sucess.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

1) Find pathetic heir

2) Find large group of rebels

3) Cook on medium for 5 minutes and leave to simmer gently

;)
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

The crucial question for me is: is there a way to predict who the next heir will be after I kill the current one off?

For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light. - Izzi, The Fountain

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

It is the oldest son of the faction leader or if no sons are present, the brother of the faction leader
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Sure? At least that´s not the case with the HRE, or I´ll have to check again.
    However, if a faction leader had no adult male child, but an underaged son, once the son comes of age he still won´t be the heir, the previous heir will be the next Emperor (unless he dies sooner than the current Emperor, that is). Is that so only for the HRE or does it hold true for other factions as well?

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

At least you have heirs. Stop whining. This is my family tree:

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

I already posted a thread about this.
    After RTW it is annoying to find the option removed.

Did someone say historical reasons?

If it was historical I would be less annoyed but I find it far less historical to see true offspring overlooked as the honour is bestowed on an in-law. That means my glorious ruling family willingly gave away that rule which is of course absolute nonsense.
    I never thought I'd praise RTW but the family tree was better in that game, I thought we'd get extra in M2TW

..........Orda

there should also be an inbuilt preference for a true blood descendant, rather than an adopted general

royal blood was very important in those days.

Is it possible to alter the files so that the underage male characters will be selected heirs? There are a lot of oddities coming from uncles being chosen as heirs, like that portugese family tree further up.

I had the same thing with the spanish once. What happened, was this:

1. My king died without an adult heir
    2. Power passed to his brother
    3. He also died with an heir
    4. Thus, power passed to the non-family general you start the game with, Vasco. When that happened, my family tree looked like the portugese one.

Is it possible to mod, or are there, I'm thinking it is, hardcoded limits?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen
    Someone did it...it involved a lot of random clicking.

I am not sure on the percentage of sucess.
    Random clicking... same thing happened to me.

I know the faq, google, every single post in the forums here says you can't change your faction heir,
    but yesterday while I was playing a campaign as Spain somehow I managed to change my heir.

I was on the family tree scroll clicking on different generals trying to figure out where they were on the map, and I clicked a general and the faction heir crown changed to him, and the previous faction heir got the 'disinherited' trait (-3 loyalty, i think).

I actually didn't want to change my heir though, and I was able to immediately 're-inherit' my previous heir -just by randomly clicking on his picture.

Today I'm playing a campaign as England, and I'm at a point where I'd like to change my heir, but I can't seem to repeat what did yesterday.

I think in my Spanish campaign I had switched the heir between brothers, but I finished the game and deleted the saves so I can't check.

Well, I tried for a while but I couldn't get it to happen again.

Thinking back over my Spanish campaign:

If I remember right the two generals had the exact same name.

It was something like this-

Alfonso 1 [king]
    --Rodrigo (son of Alfonso I) [heir]
    ----Alfonso 2 (son of Rodrigo)
    --Alfonso 3 (son of Alfonso I)

Alfonso 1 died, and Rodrigo became king, Alfonso 2 became heir.

Then in the random clicking I swapped heir back and forth between Alfonso 2 & 3.

Anyway I'm disappointed that I couldn't repeat it, I didn't want to believe that it was a bug, but I guess it was.

Holy Roman Emperor Member Frederick_I_Barbarossa's Avatar

This and what I call the "phantom family tree" bug, where princesses "convert" foreign generals and then disappear are the two MAJOR family tree issues IMHO. I personally was hoping both these issues would be addressed in the upcoming patch
    Mod Lead for
    EUROPA CRUDUS

Learn more about it or *join the team* HERE

It would be ok, if we could assassinate our own like the old MTW. That was a nice and historical touch... which had the same result, selecting heirs.
    propa·gandist n.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    1) Find pathetic heir

2) Find large group of rebels

3) Cook on medium for 5 minutes and leave to simmer gently

;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Step 1: Select general you want as your faction heir and move him away from other family members and characters.
    Step 2: With the desired family member selected. Open console and type "give_trait this Factionheir" and enter.
    Step 3: remove the current faction heir. Forlorn hope suicide attack, or one way boat ride. Your choice on the how
    Voila, you have a new faction heir.

You just need to give authority to your favorite one..that’s cheating but ok

I haven't tried it, but hit the ~ button to launch the control console

remove_trait "Firstname Lastname" Factionheir 1
    give_trait "Firstname Lastname" Factionheir 1

You have to have the correct original name, which can be difficult its its changed with the addition of Prince or other cog-name. If the character has a location as part of the name "Firstname of_Location" with the underscore works
    The state which separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools – Thucydides