Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: EB Unit Development Art

Default EB Unit Development Art

We have decided for a few different reasons to release some unit development art by Caratacos (one is so we can start using them in some signature banners ). You have seen three of these so far, the Getai Lesser General, the Galaecian Skirmisher, and the Agema Orditon but not the others yet. Of the units he has depicted for us, only one has been created at this time, and we have revealed that one too - the Getai Lesser General by Xprime. We hope fans of the mod will enjoy Caratacos' work here; we sure have and every time he posts something new on the work thread everyone rushes there.

In addition to releasing some of these unit development pics, we would like to possibly motivate talented modellers and skinners to try their hand at some of the units if they like (though it would be best to let us know in advance so we can inform anyone if one of the team members has already started working on it). In this respect, some of us are hopeful that revealing these units might also lure some more talent into the mod to help finish our unit work - we still have a lot of great units to do, and we aren't going away anytime soon either (and unit guys aren't getting a lot done modding MTW2 at this moment either ). We still have a lot of units that remain to be created, even though it may seem like we have countless ones already. We especially have a number of regional units for multiple factions that we would like to get into the game as soon as we can. North Africans, steppe units, Illyrians, Arabians, you name it. We have a number of people in these areas on the team, but some work on other projects too and help the mod team in other ways as well. We have plenty of sample textures our artists can draw from on our other units, and we have lots of folks willing to offer advice, but this is not something we need first-time model or texture artists trying though. Finally, a big part of being on the team is being able to communicate with us directly and easily, and being willing to work with us on units as the historians and faction coordinators direct. There are no egos in this area on the team who have to have units their way when the historians disagree with their depictions; so being able to work with others is an absolute necessity. If you have skill in these areas and would like to help us finish the mod, please contact us. You'd be working with the best mod team in the Total War series (we've got awards to show for it! ), where you can further develop your talents and contribute to the best mod ever (based on team members' opinions, of course ).

So, enough with that and on to the show! We will update these every so often with his new work. We'll start with the Siluri Birnai, a regional for the Casse.

Agema Orditon

Getai Lesser General

Galaecian Skirmisher

Siluri Birnai

Spahdabe Pahlavanig

Indo-Greek Noble Hoplite

Royal Numidian Cavalry

Two-Handed Sword Champion

Pontic General

Hayasdan General

Saka Heavy Cataphract

Roman Legionaire

Spartiate

Arverni Arjos

Caturige Gaedann (Alpine Celtic regional)

Celtiberian Heavy Infantry

Tabargane Eranshahr

Garamantine Spearman

Liby-Phoenician Elite Infantry

Sweboz Druhtinaz

NEW PUBLIC RELEASE!! (November 17, 2007)
    Sabaean General
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 12-02-2007 at 06:40.

Default Re: EB Unit Development Art

Released (so far) fan signature banners using Caratacos' artwork

Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 04-27-2007 at 17:33.

Member thankful for this post:

I could do some Artwork for unit cards and the imagery that is shown when the unit/building/message is selected. But not sure how to proceed.

This is some pretty amazing drawing/painting. Are you a pro Caratacos? You could make an EB graphic novel!

Mister of the Universe!!! Member Caratacos's Avatar

Smile Re: EB Unit Development Art

No i'm not a pro. I haven't been paid to do any artwork before, yet. But being a part of the EB team is payment enough (and they didn't even pay me to say that! ).

And thanks for the encouragement, guys. Glad you like.
    Last edited by Caratacos; 02-14-2007 at 00:29.

The Mouth of the Beast within the 9th Circle of Hell.

Jesus, these are unbelievable.

Wonderful job, Caratacos!
    But I might be lying.

Hey guys, how about a new one from Cartacos? Just a little unit for the Pahlava:

Hasn't been made yet by modellers or skinners btw.

He looks like a Magyar. I know they are more late, but they used that type of armor.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

That looks like it's either somewhat liberally depicted lamellar, that weird kind of scale the Assyrians used, or the sort of coat-of-plates stuff those Saka catas wear. Anyway, lookin' good.

...didn't "spahbed" (or thereabouts) mean something like "general" or "warlord" or "prince"...?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

that last one is stunning!

how do you draw these? seems like the colouring is done on a computer, using one of those pads maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Elthore
    how do you draw these? seems like the colouring is done on a computer, using one of those pads maybe?
    Wacom tablet for colouring, yup. I pencil the image though, then use a light- table and trace over the rough with a clutch pencil (0.7mm 2B). I scan the image into photoshop and up the contrast (+50%) so it darkens the lines and whitens the whites. Once I clean up the linework i add layers for the linework, colour fills and background. Once i've settled on main colours i start adding tone and highlight layers-- and doing things like recolouring the lines. I must say that my knowledge of photshop is rather basic (i never read the manual!-- i know it's in the box somewhere in my wardrobe, though!). Colouring the image is the longest step, by far-- unless i get stuck on a pose, the actual drawing process is relatively quick. But i'm new to horses so they are a little tough (the one for the getai lesser gen. should be shot if you ask me )
    Last edited by Caratacos; 02-14-2007 at 08:27.

Outstanding works Caratacos. Can you use your magical power to create some Nice Wallpapers for EB? For example one with the same "Spahdabe Pahlavanig" unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    didn't "spahbed" (or thereabouts) mean something like "general" or "warlord" or "prince"...?
    That's right man.Not prince but Yes ,It means general.In nowdays Parsi ,"Spahbad" is called to "Commander of a Corps" or the same "lieutenant general"

Regard

Forgotten Empire

Thanks kambiz. But i'm very busy with other units and such for the team, so as much as i would like to whip up some magic and do some wallpapers i think they'd beat me with the "do your EB homework!" stick. Then theres real life as well. And real life homework. No rest for the pious, wicked or in-between, it seems .

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eduorius
    He looks like a Magyar. I know they are more late, but they used that type of armor.
    Actually, since I instructed Nate on this one, it is based on the Orlat battle-plaque, depicting lamellar in the form of wide chaps/skirt connected to an ovenman's coat. The arms are armoured in a fashion that was known among Scythians, and the helmet is of the thimble shape, again inspired by Scythian designs. The horse armour is inspired by the classical Massagetae-Persian layout of chamfrôn and peytrel, in which the chamfrôn is of the more Parthian model, as opposed to being a mere noseplate, and the peytrel reconstructed after the possible use of bronze lamellar on Persian Hûvakâ horse armour. The tail is equally tied with ribbons and because this is a nobleman Nate also fitted him with ribbons on the feet. The protective collar is directly inspired by the Orlat plaque. The sword is suspended by a scabbard slide, it too being depicted from the plaque. The saddlecloth is modelled after the Derafsh-î Kâviyânî, emphasizing the three heraldic colours; saffron, red and purple.

The nobleman himself is modelled after Rustam of the Sûrên-Pahlavân (Surena of the Carrhae fame) which is seen by the fair complexion, long handlebar moustache, earrings and a generally Parthian hairstyle.

It is truly a fantastic work by Nate, and in my opinion his finest yet. But that is just the cataphract-crazed maniac within me speaking
    Last edited by The Persian Cataphract; 02-14-2007 at 15:51.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

Thanks for the explanation The Persian Cataphract. I learned a lot. Would like to see images of that plate.

Caractacos you should do a miniguide of how to draw so awesome and for me that Getai horse is wonderful. You got a fan here.

By the way. Just click the image an establish it as wallpaper and then adjust it. It looks awesome.

Thanks =)

Sweet
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

Caractacos you should do a miniguide of how to draw so awesome and for me that Getai horse is wonderful.
    I did. It's my sig banner

You have an incredible talent for capturing the idea of movement. The realism of the muscle tension suggests that they are all ready to pounce. I really like the horse for the cata, it looks like its about to lunge over and bite the painter!

The rider looks a bit of a pansy though with his pretty bows on his feet and horse

Seriously, where did you learn to draw like that? I wish I could, but Im about average at inanimate objects and absolutely rubbish at people...

Quote Originally Posted by Caratacos
    i'm very busy with other units and such for the team, so as much as i would like to whip up some magic and do some wallpapers i think they'd beat me with the "do your EB homework!" stick.
    You're right mate.So you may want to consider it for your spare time :~)
    Last edited by kambiz; 02-15-2007 at 11:28.

Forgotten Empire

Is it possible that the pictures can be used in Unit description art?

Looks perfect for it.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

All 500 units?

EB would need a larger art team for something like that. Event images, however, could be interesting.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Aquincum, Pannonia Inferior Ak-Ink, Eravacouw

Actually and unfortunately they did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Siluri Birnai

Ok this guy (face and minus tatoos...) looks just like my dad....

Quote Originally Posted by Rilder
    Ok this guy (face and minus tatoos...) looks just like my dad....
    Well do you know what he does on the week ends...what he really does?
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

...models ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

he looks a lot like my dad, with the tattoos! but my dad only wears that much in the way of clothes if he's goin out to church or a nice restaurant...
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

"Do you want to know more ?"
    - Robocop

Quote Originally Posted by Fondor_Yards
    Well do you know what he does on the week ends...what he really does?
    considering hes a truck driver I find that vary unlikely

At fear of generating an ensuing legal struggle my team of top price lawyers have instructed me to comminucate the following disclaimer:

No fathers were harmed, photgraphed or used as models in the making of these artworks. All likenesses to persons real or imagined are purely coincidental.
    Last edited by Caratacos; 02-22-2007 at 11:20.

Time for another update. This one is an Indo-Greek Noble Hoplite. It has not been created yet - we still would like to ask for talented skinners and modellers who are interested in helping us create all these new and gorgeous units to contact us. You can see more of these in post #1 in this thread. Great work again Caratacos!

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast