Thread: Me? A protectorate?

the oats that are mighty Member mightilyoats's Avatar

Default Me? A protectorate?

I've been playing a lengthy and very tough Parthian Campaign that caused a lot of blood and dead horses. And happy to say alot of dead Egyptians

The Egyptians had the nerve to demand I become their protectorate... I said no... Countless times... Then I said no some more... Then I lost my temper and took their lands for myself.

Has anybody ... EVER ... said yes to their demands? If you have, what is it like to be a protectorate. I will try it on my next campaign, but I'd like to hear some stories first.
    S-U-C-E-S! That's the way you spell... suces?

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Default Re: Me? A protectorate?

If you're struggling for money, accept being their protectorate. You can then ask for loads of money in return for being their subject. Providing your treasury stays below around 15,000 you won't have to pay anything back. Plus they'll be a temporary halt to hostilities between you. However, many a time I've accepted being a protectorate and got loads of money, I've been attacked by them during the same turn. How stupid is that! Basically a protectorate is a very brief way to make some money from an AI faction that thinks it's got you on the ropes, when really you're the one taking advantage of them.

You can also attack your protectorate at anytime if you find you object to their rule. They'll only stab you in the back and attack you soon anyway.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

the oats that are mighty Member mightilyoats's Avatar

Thats lame... Ok, I will extort them then if I need the cash... How does that work? Do you ask them with the protectorate proposal, or after you have become a protectorate?
    S-U-C-E-S! That's the way you spell... suces?

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

When they ask you to become their protectorate that's when you counter their offer with a demand for cash. Just make sure you don't end up with too much money at the end of the turn or you start paying massive tributes that will end up leaving you with nothing.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

\m/ ._. \m/ Member César Victor's Avatar

Gaul keep asking my German king to become protectorate. They also asked countless times so in the end I accepted, only to attack them the same turn :P
    César Victor
    Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitimos

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Protectorates work profitfully if the computer cant attack you without taking a hundred mile boat trip. Say...if your roman and they are parthian. If theyre your protectorate then you get a small income bonus and theyre friendly.

Also, if you dont feel like controlling a troublesome territory, then you can give it all to your protectorate and sail away. Basically what the romans did frequently in reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Protectorates are good for delaying a war, and gain trade rights

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Armoured Hoplite Fanatic Member germanpeon's Avatar

In all of my games, Ive never gotten anything out of accepting an offer to become a protectorate other than a false sense of security for about five milliseconds before they go ahead and siege one of my towns anyway.