Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: City Mod

Default Re: City Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    Sorry to repeat my question (ashes on my head):

but WHY IS THIS MOD NOT PART OF EB, then???
    I believe it's because the Devs don't want to control history. If things changed historically, a few cities possibly could have grown more than they actually did.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Yeah, the team doesn't want to limit the possiblities of cities. If history was different, some cities that weren't historically important might have grown huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    Sorry to repeat my question (ashes on my head):

but WHY IS THIS MOD NOT PART OF EB, then???
    Um, because we don't want as part of our mod. We are looking at other ways to restrict growth in certain areas.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

*Shameless bump since this fell to page2.*

Hey Marcus, I really like the sound of the conditional Celtic reforms you put in. I was just wondering if it is possible to simply cut and paste the relevent section from the script.txt over the default one to implement them, without installing the rest of the mod? I'm assuming the reform changes dont rely on any other files outside the main script file.

Quote Originally Posted by Dram
    Hey Marcus, I really like the sound of the conditional Celtic reforms you put in. I was just wondering if it is possible to simply cut and paste the relevent section from the script.txt over the default one to implement them, without installing the rest of the mod? I'm assuming the reform changes dont rely on any other files outside the main script file.
    Nope, I'm pretty sure they'll work by themselves. If you'd like, just cut that section out and put it over the original reforms at the top of the script.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

I'm sure after the EB team figures out and impliments their city control method then everything will be pretty open but not unrealistic as in, by 252 you have populations in the 10000's in places like ambrakia, aka a large city.

I personally think that the AI shouldnt get more ppl in their cities when they recruit units, since their cities just grow way out of control so i have to exterminate every single settlement i capture after my initial grab of control.

Is this mod compatible with BI? Because whenever I install it I can't start a new campaign.

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

Yeah it is, I run it with BI with no problems what so ever.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by MButcher
    Is this mod compatible with BI? Because whenever I install it I can't start a new campaign.
    It works with BI, but you have to follow the same steps as you would to get EB to work on BI, after installing this minimod.

EDIT: Don't want to bump this, so I'll edit.
    Hey, this got stickied, and I didn't do it. How long has it been like this without me noticing?
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 10-09-2007 at 19:03.

Hey MarcusAureliusAntoninus, any chance of updating your excellent mod to 1.0? I simply can't play 1.0 until I have City Mod installed.

for real, every city has 3+ % population growth.

It is extremely.. annoying.

I haven't updated it yet, for a couple reasons: I was seeing if there would be any quickfixes necessary, I wanted to let people see if they liked 'vanilla' EB and decided they didn't want a change, haven't had the time to make room for an additional version of EB (I have a development copy but I would need to mod a v1.0 to be sure), and I haven't had tons of time lately. I'll try to create a new version of the citymod within a week or so.

I really hate this massive population growth and It's almost to the point where I cant play without some control.

City mod within a week. That would be great. Now all I have to do is go a week without starting a proper eb campaign.

Dont worry, I've played one till year 242~, maybe upgrading your city every 30 turns is your style but not mine.

MAA may I ask what all you did to limit the cities to specific sizes and, basically what else you did for the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofa
    MAA may I ask what all you did to limit the cities to specific sizes and, basically what else you did for the mod?
    I required hidden resources for the construction of palace buildings.
    I listed the changes on the first post. For the next releas, I think I'm just going to stick to restriction city growth and some reduction in growth bonuses for now.

what files did you have to edit to limit the construction of these palaces and what resourses did you use, or did you just make one up?

Ok, I've uploaded the new version for EB1.0, please see first post.

Right now it is just a base version with very few changes. Please tell me if you are having a bug or wish to suggest something. If there is a city that you think I should have as a large city and don't, or you think there is a city that I have large that shouldn't be, please tell me.

If you wish to change some cities to be different sizes then I have, you can do it yourself quite easily. Just open up the descr_regions.txt (after downloading/installing this minimod) and add/remove the "city", "large", or "huge" hidden_resources in the appropriate towns. Then delete the map.rwm and play. (This can work mid-campaign - I do it often - but it may cause bugs - though I've never had any problems.)

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Fantastic....our succession game was waiting for this.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

AtB slave trader Member Malik of Sindh's Avatar

Is this save game compatible?

Asia ton Barbaron,a mini mod for EB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferengi Man
    Is this save game compatible?
    Probably...

MAA, you know I love you right?

MAA, you know I love you right?
    Thanks... ?

Please let me know if anything is weird. I only tested it for a couple turns. I am hoping nothing in v1.0 has changed anything to make my changes do anything weird.

Oh, and if someone plays with this for a long time, notices some stuff that seems to be bad and caused by this minimod, and could give me some kind of overview/review, I would be greatful. With things like, "City A had way too much population and since I couldn't upgrade it, it was quite rebellious," or, "When in AI control, City B never got bigger than Large Town due to the lower growth bonuses," or even, "Population growths everywhere were too high / low."

Roger that, will do.

Wink Re: City Mod

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Yeah, the team doesn't want to limit the possiblities of cities. If history was different, some cities that weren't historically important might have grown huge.
    I agree, And I like your mod but I would not use it just because it is 'limiting' someones gameplay style - Maybe this would be interesting to know - I made mod like yours two years ago for my RTW vanilla, there were at least 10 people that used it and liked it very much - so I must make one for EB 1 too (after some officiall patcehes ;))... And my impresions were very nice - they are EB style moddifications I think

First of all, limiting someones development is not 'popular' that much for me and much of EB and RTW fans I know (there are people that like certan town in a certan time - they would build it up even if they process_q'it realy) -- BUT!

Editing txt scripts that would make a clear stand on what cities can and can not grow big and strong in time is a matter of 'building construction time' and making 'big' cities 'big' from the start. That means adding them the 'historic' content and enable them to have some 'finall stage' buildings from the start.

So Seleucids and Ptolomei would have and Imperial Palace from the start in their Empires (capitol for example) and Royal barracs (like someone could say that at the time EB starts Selucids and Macedonians did not have SilverS or Royall Infantry?? No you cant -They did have and used them all the time actually) - that would go for macedon maybe or even for Rome.. (but that would pass the generall discussion first )

But then you should (as I did) 'tweak' construction and costs time of 'prime buildings' like palaces to some very long period of time (like 20-50 turns). That would go the same for Army baracks or some 'high end' buildings in their midd and final stage (like Temples, Docks-do that is a clear example of my point here from EB ).. And it is more simple and stable.. only thing you have to do is to edit desc_start and export_desc_buildings in a matter of a few hours..

Anyhow, I suport your efforts to the end - be well my friend
    “Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world.”

Interesting, Maksimus.

One thing against increasing the build time of palace buildings, though. The AI will quickly build the palace as soon as the city can be upgraded, they are hardcoded to do so. If you set the build time at a huge amount, the AI will just sit their building palaces for years. They won't be building infrastructure or MICs and will have a poorly developed town with little recruitment options as they spend those years upgrading. (Just to be sure, no offense to you intended by this post.)

no bugs so far in my Mak campaign, 223 BCE, pella is developing nicely actually, I'm trying to get it to huge but people just seem to like leaving now that its a large city, I guess I've got to draw them back in somehow.....

pretty bug-free and such, makes my campaigns much more better.

no bugs so far in my Mak campaign, 223 BCE, pella is developing nicely actually, I'm trying to get it to huge but people just seem to like leaving now that its a large city, I guess I've got to draw them back in somehow.....

pretty bug-free and such, makes my campaigns much more better.
    Good to hear.

Though, unless you changed something, Pella is set to only make it to Large City...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast