Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Mod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default City Mod

City Mod
    Version 5.1

The 'city mod' is a minimod based on the limitation of city size growth. Because of numerable hardcodings concerning population growth within RTW the only way of effectively stopping city growth is to cap certain cities at certain levels. In this minimod, not many cities can get the 'large' size and only a hand full can reach the 'huge' size. This mod does tend to favour factions that are settled and restricts the steppe factions.

Other than restricting city sizes, I have also added various other modifications that will help to slow city growth. There are also a few unrelated adjustments and modifications to the game such as the removal of roads in certain areas.

I have (will) created two versions of this mod. One (version "a") is the standard version that simple restricts the size of cities for all factions. The second one (version "b") is the Hellenization/Romanization version. In this version, the "barbarian" and steppe factions cannot get over the 'large town' size of settlement. This allows for "civilized" factions to conquer barbarians and upgrade the towns to Hellenic/Roman settlement to represent Hellenization/Romanization of the the populace. This version is admitantly unfair to the "barbarian" factions and shouldn't be played with those factions.

Features:
    Version 5.1a
    -Restriction of city sizes
    -Removal or reduction of some growth bonuses on buildings
    -Removal of the ability to build roads in some places
    -Law bonuses for the Academy structures

Download:(Version "a")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2204

Features:
    Version 5.1b
    -Restricted the construction of 'city', 'large city', and 'huge city' to "civilized" factions

Download:(Version "b")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2205

Install:
    Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files. This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.

Uninstall:
    To uninstall this minimod, you'll have to reinstall EB or have backed up your files before downloading. To go from version "b" to version "a" just install one version over the other.

Please post feedback, advice, comments, or suggestions.

Older versions:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    City Mod
    Version 4.0

Here is the City Mod for EB v1.1. I completely redid the mod from scratch, so a few things may be different. The main basis of this mod is to limit the city sizes so that not just any city can become huge. Only Roma, Athenai, Alexandreia, Seleukeia, and Kart-Hadast can reach the huge size, with a handfull of cities that can reach the large city size. And there are a few settlements that can't even reach the minor city size.

Features:
    Version 4.0a

Download:(Version "a")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1941

Version 4.0b : The Romanization/Hellenization Version
    -Version 4.0a, but with one change
    -Barbarian/Steppe cultures cannot build settlements beyond the Large Town Level, allowing you to Romanize/Hellenize their cities after capturing them. (This will make the barbarians a bit weaker and is not too historically fair, but it will prevent you from having an empire of tiny hut circles as the Romans.)(If you play this version then wish to switch back to the "a" version, delete the descr_cultures.txt and rename the original descr_cultures.txt (included in download). Then reinstall version "a" of the CityMod over version "b".)

Download:(Version "b")

Install:(for both versions)
    Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files.

-This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.
    -It also includes a file that will save over the map.rwm that the trivial script replaces every time you start the game, so that it will work whether you are using the trivial script or not.
    -If you have Windows Vista and have installed RTW & EB into a subdirectory of the "Program Files" directory, you will not be able to install this minimod.

Version 3.2 for EB v1.0:
    City Mod
    Version 3.2

Once again, here is my minimod for EB: City Mod v3.2 for EB v1.0. This mod limits city sizes, decreases some aspects of population growth, and increases some of the bonuses in order to help out cities with large populations that cannot upgrade. This is just the base version and doesn't include too many changes like my old versions did.

Features:
    Version 3.0
    Limited City Sizes
    Decreased Population Growth bonuses on buildings
    Increased possitive effects on some buildings (including Law on education buildings)
    Took away the ability to build some roads in some areas
    [only the export_descr_buildings.txt and descr_regions.txt have been altered]
    Version 3.1
    One slight change to allow the "March of Time" event
    Version 3.2
    Integrated bovi's Pahlav fix so that Pahlav can get their highest level of MIC (all other fixes can be added on top of this minimod)

Download:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1771

Install:
    Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files. This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.

Old first post:
    City Mod
    Version 2.1

I've always thought that some cities should be limited in size. It doesn't always make sense that every city can be as big as and have the same buildings as Rome or Alexandria. I've never played the RTR Metropolis Mod, but this is similar.

I used cunctator's First Cohort mod as a base for this mod as to remove conflicts in the two mods. This can be installed ontop of the First Cohort mod, but it also includes the First Cohort mod and doesn't not require it. It thus includes all of the features of the First Cohort mod as a base.

Features:
    1.0:
    -City sizes are restricted in most places with few being able to reach 'huge'.
    -Some buildings availabilty have been changed.
    -Population growth decreased (mostly by removing most growth bonuses on buildings).
    -Stone walls in less places (wooden still available everywhere).
    -Roads available in less places (please post objections).
    -cunctator's First Cohort aspects.
    1.1:
    -Improved CTD fix posted by Kull (0.81b)
    -Saba & Hai health structures
    2.0:
    -Completely redone from "v0.81a v2"&FCv1.3 base
    -Roman Reforms altered
    -Dynamic Celtic Reforms
    ---requirements:
    -----First: Conquer all of Gaul or Britain & be at least 250BC
    -----Second: Complete your faction's victory conditions & be at least 200BC
    -----Old static conditions still remain as well
    -Nisa mine fixed
    -Population growth traits reworked
    -Personal security traits reworked
    -Imperator trait reworked
    -Building bonuses reworked (again)
    2.1:
    -Taras change
    -Slightly altered The Errant's money script & population replenishment changes added
    ---(Special thanks to The Errant and mlp071)

Install instructions:
    -Have a clean install of EB 0.81a or First Cohorts Mod 1.3
    -Download the file
    -Extract the download to "...\Rome - Total War\"
    -Delete the "map.rwm" from the "...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base" folder
    -Play

Download:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1419

I'd also like to add, anyone who is willing, feed back is appreciated. General feedback plus specifics: Roman Expansion, Population Growth, and [].
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 11-29-2008 at 23:36.

Default Re: City Mod

First off, I'm probably going to wait to see if there will be a quickfix released.

Second, this would conflict with other mods, so I'm thinking of making the first cohort "mod" a required.

I'll also be changing some things so that you'll be able to build appropriate buildings in "smaller" cities (Examples: roads available at lower levels, education available lower), as well as some changes to manage squalor. (Examples: doubling garrison bonuses, giving law bonuses to educational facilities, giving extra bonuses to entertainment)

Here are my thoughts on the cities (comments and suggestions welcome, even if you don't plan on downloading this):
    Huge City level:
    Rome, Athenai, Alexandreia, Seleukeia, Kart-Hadast
    Large City level:
    -Planned:
    Sparte, Pella, Capua, Antiocheia, Damaskos, Pergamon, Sinope, Syrakousai, Baktra
    -Maybe:
    Korinthos, Taras, Byzantion, Hierosolyma, Memphis, Mastia, Bibracte, Swebotraustastamnoz, Camulosadae, Sarmiszegethusa, "something in Media/Persis/Iran area"
    -I've thought about:
    Massalia, Susa, Persepolis, Ekbatana, Maryab, Hekatompylos, Oxtraca, Mediolanum
    City level:
    All but those below.
    Restricted toLarge Town level:
    Dumatha, Hibis, Ammonium, Augila, Garama, Cydaus, (not important but Tuat and Terhazza as well), maybe some in the plains...
    Town level:
    Everything can get this
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 02-20-2007 at 05:47.

This is very desireable indeed. Iwe given it a lot of tought, but I cant mod. Dont think I will start to much either. Anyhow, its weard to have a city as big as for examle Alexandria up in Scandinavia:)

Edit: By the way, I believe Cadiz was quite a big city, so maybe it should be classified as a large city at least...
    Last edited by Christianus; 02-20-2007 at 05:48.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

I'd be supportive (though not in any useful way).

Such a mod would be excellent. Maybe it would be a good idea to also cut population growth boni from all buildings as much as possible. Something that is also discussed for future Eb versions. In my current romani campaign Roma is already a huge city - in 260 BC.

Antiochia should be moved to the list of huge cities, it has had several 100.000 inhabitants on it's peak and was one of the greatest cities in the roman empire after Roma and Alexandria.

Post Re: City Mod

Sounds very interesting - this always has been one of my R:TW peeves. Anyhow, the best of luck with it!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 10-13-2007 at 18:22.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Any plan's to update this for .82?

Maybe.
    I think it may be compatible right now. It should be compatible. I don't recall all of what went into the "v0.81a v2" update, but it was mostly just collecting all of the fixes into one. I don't see how any of it would conflict, but knowing my luck, it will... somehow.
    I might just restart it from scratch to insure compatiblity...

Ok, I've updated this for "EB v0.81a v2" with CMv2.0.

I was going to add a couple more features but decided not to. Amoungst them:
    1) City Replenishment rework. I was going to decrease the amount that the AI gets when recruiting units but I decided against it because it would take so long to do.
    2) AI Money Bonuses. Since I made changes to the script and adding a money script no longer works with this mod, I was going to alter or add one of the money script reworks, but I didn't. I wasn't sure everyone would want this. Plus, I stopped following that thread when started growing by a page a day and I don't know the status of that project or which script would be the best to add. And, I would want to ask the creator before I added their script.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    2) AI Money Bonuses. Since I made changes to the script and adding a money script no longer works with this mod, I was going to alter or add one of the money script reworks, but I didn't. I wasn't sure everyone would want this. Plus, I stopped following that thread when started growing by a page a day and I don't know the status of that project or which script would be the best to add. And, I would want to ask the creator before I added their script.
    Sorry, I don't understand what why doesn't adding a money script work?
    I guess you'd have to copy-paste the code manually as the EB_BS is altered is that what you mean? And check out the first page of the money script thread all the important info is in the first 2 posts ( I believe you know this). I think permission is not a problem. Also most of the work has stopped as Errant is a beta-tester right? Sheep is away or something, JMRC is the only one working on a script of his, and I'm trying to make a collaboration with mpl071 to combine the money script and the merc script.
    So by all means, have a look and tell us what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    Sorry, I don't understand what why doesn't adding a money script work?
    I guess you'd have to copy-paste the code manually as the EB_BS is altered is that what you mean? And check out the first page of the money script thread all the important info is in the first 2 posts ( I believe you know this). I think permission is not a problem. Also most of the work has stopped as Errant is a beta-tester right? Sheep is away or something, JMRC is the only one working on a script of his, and I'm trying to make a collaboration with mpl071 to combine the money script and the merc script.
    So by all means, have a look and tell us what you think.
    Yes, you can cut and paste it manually, but a good many people would be too afraid to do that and/or would mess up (as it is easy to with cut and pasting scripts).

I haven't read all the work in the money script thread, and only looked over it every now and then. (Which is ironic since it is something I'd like to see perfected. And since I was there suggesting things when Eminos was first conceiving his.) I realized there were a couple download links, but I wasn't sure which one included what and which one would fit better. In the end, I felt, since I hadn't tested them I wouldn't add them. I posted that comment, hoping someone would post and tell me which script would be best.

Actually, I'm going to be busy next week (or maybe even the next two or three weeks) (starting tommorrow) and I wanted to finish this and release a 081av2 version with the dynamic celtic reforms before I was too busy. That's why I didn't properly get everything together, like a money script (originally I planned to make my own).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Errant
    MAA. Feel free to use my money script if you want. The latest version includes changes to the population replenishment rate. I cut it to roughly half of what it was in the vanilla EB script for 0.81a.
    It helped tremendously in keeping the AI stack parades in check. I might have gone overboard a bit on it. 3/4 would propably have been enough, but I like a slower paced game.
    I'm not sure if it's possible to make cutoffs in the population script, based on settlement size. But if it is, it's definately worth trying.
    That sounds great! I was going to cut it exactly in half to test what that range would do, so that sound exactly perfect! Ok, "The Errant", I'll use your script for those two parts of the script and try to get a v2.1 together in the next couple days, time willing. Thank you.

----------

As always, any bugs, complaints, or suggestions, please post them.

MAA

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Here is a download link: http://www.axifile.com?6463893

Word of caution! It's still based on the EBBS file of 0.81a unupdated to V2. So if any typos exist in the settlement names of the population replenishment script. Make sure you fix those manually. It took me several hours just to halve the values, for both recruited infantry and cavalry units, so checking that part of script for typos wasn't that high a priority.

I found out the hard way how a couple of miserable typos kept the whole script from working.
    Last edited by The Errant; 05-30-2007 at 11:20.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

I forgot to ask about this, you say you introduced dynamic reforms for the celts, how do they work exactly? Like when the Casse unify Britain the first reform kicks in? Or when they conquer all their homeland including the Belgae?
    I think these dynamic reforms are great to have but they should have more complex components for the player (like the Roman Marian reform) and should only be dependent on time and some territories held (fewer than for the player) for the AI. Because I believe the AI would never ever get the Roman Marian reforms,

Quote Originally Posted by The Errant
    Here is a download link: http://www.axifile.com?6463893

Word of caution! It's still based on the EBBS file of 0.81a unupdated to V2. So if any typos exist in the settlement names of the population replenishment script. Make sure you fix those manually. It took me several hours just to halve the values, for both recruited infantry and cavalry units, so checking that part of script for typos wasn't that high a priority.

I found out the hard way how a couple of miserable typos kept the whole script from working.
    Thanks. I was going to edit the population replenishment thing, took a second look at the size and thought, "That'll take days to change. And I know I'll make a mistake somewhere and give some town 1000 population ever time they recruit a unit or something stupid." Thanks for doing the work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    I forgot to ask about this, you say you introduced dynamic reforms for the celts, how do they work exactly? Like when the Casse unify Britain the first reform kicks in? Or when they conquer all their homeland including the Belgae?
    I think these dynamic reforms are great to have but they should have more complex components for the player (like the Roman Marian reform) and should only be dependent on time and some territories held (fewer than for the player) for the AI. Because I believe the AI would never ever get the Roman Marian reforms,
    I didn't want to make the reforms too complicated. For one thing, the official celtic reforms have been made and will be in the next EB release. Currently the reforms are easy to get. Basically two requirements for each level. For the first you just need to take all of Gaul or Britain (depending on who you are) and it be at least 250BC. The second reforms happen when you achieve your faction's winning conditions (excluding raids) and it is 200BC.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Ok, I've updated this for "EB v0.81a v2" with CMv2.0.

I was going to add a couple more features but decided not to. Amoungst them:
    1) City Replenishment rework. I was going to decrease the amount that the AI gets when recruiting units but I decided against it because it would take so long to do.
    I think there was some talk about EB team lowering city replenish numbers, but i am not sure is that going to happen.

Regarding money scripts...While working on mercs file, i tested all 3 existing ones several times.They generally give you, more or less same results, despite having diferent approach to "infinite" stacks problem.And they are quite finished for this version.

As far as i know, project is very alive, but is waiting to see what is going to be changed in next EB version.Big changes (i don't know is there going to be any) could make quite difference in any mod, as you probably know better them me.

As Redmeth mentioned , we are trying to get money script and merc file incorporated. I know you can use anything that i make anytime you want.

We are debating how to reduce population replenishment, triggered by Dumbass' suggestion here. There are diverging views within the team on this as well as limitations in the script engine and how it ends up is not certain.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

MAA. Feel free to use my money script if you want. The latest version includes changes to the population replenishment rate. I cut it to roughly half of what it was in the vanilla EB script for 0.81a.
    It helped tremendously in keeping the AI stack parades in check. I might have gone overboard a bit on it. 3/4 would propably have been enough, but I like a slower paced game.
    I'm not sure if it's possible to make cutoffs in the population script, based on settlement size. But if it is, it's definately worth trying.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Ok, I've added The Errant's money script and population replenishment script adjustments and released a new version. I made a slight change, as suggested by mlp071 as well. I also took this time to make a couple other changes, the only noteworthy one being an adjustment to Taras.

Check the first post for the download link.

You have alot of nice features in your mod.I like limitations in cities , so they are all not same size in the end . Makes it more realistic.

good job

Thanks.

I was hoping this would be the last release for a while, but I just remembered a bunch or stuff I wanted to add. But right now I just feel, 'oh well.'

Great mod!!

I'm playing your mod as a base and edited some files with modifications that others modders made and I wanted to try, like mercenary (mpl071), elephant fixed, whatchman, thorlof battlesystem,force diplomacy, victory conditions..

My personal campaing Is going well, I'm nearly 210 and all faction have reasonable population, money and army. Potolemoi and Arche are the big powers, followed by Romani(me) and karthadast, well see what happens in the next years.

The perfect spy is enabled in citymod 2.1

Thanks!! and sorry for my english is pretty bad.
    Last edited by Tito Pullo; 06-16-2007 at 18:00.

Thanks.

I think population levels are actually too low. I've seen some AI cities reduced to 400 population. I think I'll have the original replenishment script in the next release.

I noticed the perfect spy thing too, I think it was either part of EBv0.81av2 or First Cohort mod, because I didn't alter it.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Hello there,

the link to download this mod is down ... for me at least. Does someone else have the some experience?

Thx in advance ...
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

The link is working now. The TWC was down earlier today, so I believe that was the problem.

Would the game work ok with Redmeth's improved mercenary script? I see you have already made money script changes to the game.

I'm pretty sure it will work. 99.999% sure.

You can always just check yourself, just make sure to backup the merc-file.

MAA: Love your mod. You should try and convince the EB team to include many of the CM featrues in the next EB build, such as: restricted roads, stone walls, popuation growth and huge cities. :D
    Last edited by Lovejoy; 08-06-2007 at 21:27.

Yeah, the merc file works fine with this mod. I almost added it, but didn't at the last minute.

Thanks Lovejoy. Some population growth reductions will be in the next EB build. And a while back there was talk about road restriction for the deserts. The team doesn't want to restrict city sizes, though. They feel it restricts too much on the possibilities of alternate history.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Arrow Re: City Mod

Hello there,

let me first thank you for your great (sub-) mod. I really enjoy playing it.
    But I experienced something very strange, a bug perhaps:
    playing with Pontos, I quickly got into massive debts, and I had CTDs after a while.
    Only after cheating myself out of debts, the CTDs stopped.

Yours,
    Treverer
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Ok, I've uploaded the new version for EB1.0, please see first post.

Right now it is just a base version with very few changes. Please tell me if you are having a bug or wish to suggest something. If there is a city that you think I should have as a large city and don't, or you think there is a city that I have large that shouldn't be, please tell me.

If you wish to change some cities to be different sizes then I have, you can do it yourself quite easily. Just open up the descr_regions.txt (after downloading/installing this minimod) and add/remove the "city", "large", or "huge" hidden_resources in the appropriate towns. Then delete the map.rwm and play. (This can work mid-campaign - I do it often - but it may cause bugs - though I've never had any problems.)

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Fantastic....our succession game was waiting for this.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast