Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Legion - Roma's Bulls

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default 3rd Legion - Roma's Bulls

3rd Legion – Roma’s Bulls

This is my first AAR. I am a RTW veteran and love EB, so I thought, why not? This AAR will simply follow the fortunes of the 3rd Roman Legion. You will notice that I have already started the game at the time of writing, and simply this is because I did not have a 3rd legion at the time. I will be using EB 0.81 and BI.exe.

EDIT: I am playing VH Campaign and Hard Battles.

Also once the legion is disbanded (See below), I will follow the fortunes of the new legion. This means that I should hopefully keep going until the very end of the campaign.

Rules
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79935
    The above is a link to the make up of my legions through time. I will strive to use them as historically as possible, but I find that after a few battles Hastati have taken a real beating and as such I may have to recycle them to the rear of the line.

Every 16 years every unit in each legion will be disbanded, usually in Italy. No exceptions.

For every legion disbanded, I will raise a new one.

I am allowed to retrain, however I will not merge units together, unless forced to do so by the game.

In winter all armies must be either laying siege to a city, in a city, or in a fort at the end of the turn.

Consular armies may only be led by consuls OR a pro-consul still serving the army.

Praetors and Pro-Praetors may lead single legions.

If I have no one who is either of the above ranks, then I will work my way down the Cursus Honorum, starting with Ex-Quaestors. Though there will still be exceptions to the rule, but that is all role playing.

I must have a Casus Belli.

While I am building whatever level of government I choose to use I will have to have a legion in the general area, not necessarily in the city though.

Just as a side note, whenever I say it is the year of the consulship of two people, they will be the two consuls that the game gives me. If I only have 1 or neither then I will just use historical names.

No cheating, ever or at all. This includes toggling Fog of War. If I want to learn something
    I reserve the right to add to these rules or bend them whenever I choose.

Index
    Book 1
    Chapter 1 - Rome's Heroes
    Chapter 2 - Battle of Sardinia
    Chapter 3 - Siege of Karali
    Chapter 4 - Counter-Siege
    Chapter 5 - Retaking Sardinia
    Chapter 6 - Third Battle of Sardinia
    Chapter 7 - Invasion of Iberia
    Chapter 8 - Tragedy Befalls
    Chapter 9 - Homeward Bounds
    Chapter 10 - The Last Great Deeds
    Chapter 11 - Last Actions

Book 2
    Prologue
    Chapter 1 - First Actions
    Chapter 2 - To Kill a Gaul
    Chapter 3 - A Second Attempt
    Chapter 4 - Going North
    Chapter 5 - An Offer
    Chapter 6 - Do Your Duty
    Last edited by CountArach; 05-15-2007 at 08:39.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Default Re: 3rd Legion - Roma's Bulls

Chapter 1 – Rome’s Heroes

262BCE – Spring – The consulship of Lvcivs Postvmivs Megellvs and Quintvs Mamilivs Vitvlvs

The year is 262 BCE, or 491 years since Romulus and Remus founded the glorious city of Rome. Rome has risen from being a fledgling city-state under Etruscan rule to greatness! She now owns the entire Italian Peninsula. She has come to achieve dominance over her former masters, the Etruscans, the Lucanian and even the troublesome Samnites, who until 28 years ago were in a state of open war against Rome.

Yet Italy herself is not enough.

What is there that could possibly stop Rome from achieving far more? Who is there that would dare to defy Roman strength at arms. We shall thrust our Gladius’s up to the hilt into those who would dare to openly fight us.

However, there is one who would see us fail. One who would see us die.

Carthage

The name comes off the tongue and leaves the taste of manure behind it.

They are strong, yet we are stronger.

Our armies have spent the last 10 years campaigning in Southern Italy, yet there was always one problem we had. We did not have enough grain. Then we look across from Rhegiom in our south and we see Sicily. Sicily, a land who is blessed by the Gods in her bountiful fertility.

We have it from the best of sources that Sicily openly aided our former foe Epiros. Pah! Even united these pathetic Greeks can not stand against our might! They were weak!

And they suffered for it

Our first 2 Legions crossed the straight. The 2nd Legion took a foothold in Messana, and as I write this the 1st Legion is besieging Syracuse, though that could go on for another year at least.

But what of Carthage? She did not sit idly by as she should have. No, she defied us; she declared war on us under the pretence that Sicily should remain “free”. These Greeks know nothing of freedom. Their petty tyrants war against one another and for what? So that Carthage may further expand her sphere of influence?

So now we were at war with Carthage, however both of our legions were occupied. The 1st was besieging Syracuse, and the 2nd was securing Messana and turning it into the first Roman province.

We needed more men, and the 3rd Legion was to answer that call.

We needed to punish the Carthaginians, and the 3rd Legion was to answer that call.

We needed heroes, and the 3rd Legion was to answer that call.

A new Legion was commissioned and raised immediately. They came from all the Latin colonies spread around the peninsula. Some even hailed from Roma herself, particularly the wealthier Triarii and Equites.

Yet this legion needed someone to command it, but who? Rome has few able commanders, many of them being off campaigning in Sicily as it was, yet there was one man who came forward. His name was Cnaevs Scipio Asina. He was an Optimate and a patrician. A man with True Roman blood in him. He had spent much of his wealth on many of the people, having purchased several parades, and more importantly, he was a great public speaker. He could out debate any other politician of his time.

So he got the job.

“But what to do with this new legion, what to do with the Carthaginians?” The Senatores pondered.

Then Scipio came forth and offered a daring plan. A plan that would bring a swift end to this war with complete victory for Rome.

He would take the Legion, His Legion, to Sardinia, and there he would strike the Carthaginians a blow. There he would teach them the price of defying Rome.

New ships were ordered to be constructed.

The 3rd was to set sail.

Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

looks promising, looking forward to future chapters!

Thanks Warluster

I've got the next chapter played out. The 3rd Legion sees their first combat :o

Woohoo! The fightin' 3rd! Looking forward to their exploits. This is extra awesome because I was planning on a Roman AAR starting with a campaign already in progress, specifically the newly begun Gallic wars, 236. Good to see a similar idea being played out. I'll probably just follow this one instead, do something else another time. Go Legio III!

Chapter 2 – Battle of Sardinia
    262BCE – Summer – The consulship of Lvcivs Postvmivs Megellvs and Quintvs Mamilivs Vitvlvs

Dear Father,

Well my enlistment with the 3rd Legion went well. Due to my experience with the 1st Legion at the disaster at Taras in 270BCE, I was appointed Signifer of the 1st Principes Maniple. This is a great honour, and will do much to help me regain face after I shamefully fled from the battle.

As you know, we have been sent to Sardinia to seek vengeance against the Carthaginian menace. No sooner had we dropped ashore and created a standard camp, than our scouts reported an enemy army approaching.

The orders were sent out to prepare for battle. We were to be ready by mid day. The Centurion oversaw our readiness, his Optio hitting those who did not move fast enough. All of us were ready an hour ahead of time, and we deployed in battle formation.

I took up my place on the left hand side of the maniple. We were deployed in the standard 3 line battle system. At the very front were the Leves, those too poor for their own equipment. Behind them, and in front of us, were the Hastati and the Samnite Spearmen. We came next, along with our Lucanian Allies. Then behind us were the Triarii and the Rorarii. The Accensi again were behind that, ready to unload their slings over our heads.

Our general, none other than the great Cnaevs Scipio Asina took the right flank with his personal bodyguard and the Left flank was held by the Equites. They were simply to protect our flanks. This would be an infantry battle. None are better than Roman Infantry.

The enemy came over the hill and approached our position. There was little unity in their line, which was not surprising considering that these were little more than a hastily thrown-together militia.

As they approached faster, the order was given for our men to unleash hell with their javelins.

Many of the enemy’s shields were pinned to their bodies and arms, causing much pain and many of the enemies were simply pinned to the ground by the steely point. Yet the majority just kept on coming unperturbed.

They crashed into the Hastati with the roar that only steel on steel can produce. We watched on. A signal would be given when the time came.

The Hastati fought valiantly for a long time, and in that time I looked up and down our line. To my right the Samnites had been charged by some militia, had broken them, and were now caught in a fierce battle with some reserves. The Rorarii on our right also were clashing with some enemies, however these ones were particularly elite. To my left the Lucanians were holding, though just barely. They were aided by some triarii who were sent forward to hold the line.

Then the order came to charge.

The Hastati had had enough; the enemy hard received further aid from more units, stretching the Hastati almost to breaking point.

The Centurion gave the order, and by the Gods did we charge.

The enemy had foolishly shown their flank to us and they just could not stand the combined pressure of our assault on their flank and the Hastati’s renewed attempts against their front.

They ran, and we cut them down.

After that the enemy’s centre had been broken, so we were just left to mop up the survivors. The Triarii had dealt with the threat to the Lucanians, however the Rorarii were still struggling against the enemy’s on that flank. These were their best troops in the region. The centurion halted our legion, a difficult thing to do whilst we were pursuing, revenge for the fallen fresh in our minds. Yet he managed it. He wheeled us around and marched us to the enemy’s flank.

For the last time that day we charged.

These men were much more organized than the citizen levy that we had previously broken, and even with their flank falling slowly to us, they held their ground. That is, until Scipio Asina charged their rear.

Never before have I seen a cavalry charge. Our men for the most part just stepped back and stopped fighting, watching as these brave riders, our Commander at their head, ripped into the enemy’s rear. The enemy had few men aware of this threat and could do nothing. They were caught between three units with no where to run.

So they were cut down.

Father, it was a great battle. I feel as if already I have atoned for my disgrace at the Siege of Taras. Spread the news in Rome. We won a great victory this day.

Your loving son forever,
    Spvrivs Cordivs

Man I like this AAR a 1st person AAR awesome!!!!

u know what... F*** IT I am buying a new RTW CD NOW!!!! (I ain't gonna wait for my next paycheck)

Tanks NeoSpartan and Wonderland for your support guys.

Excellent battle, Sardina is ours! very good CA, I like the use of First person thing.

Nice CA. First battle of a fresh legion was an easy one. Now we await the troubles ahead against Carthages elite!

Oh and I love that there are no banners, and the unit sizes are huge. Adds nicely to the feel.
    Last edited by Dooz; 02-25-2007 at 00:27.

Yeah no banners, no green arrows. Theyare just annoying IMO. Makes it harder as well.

I've got a few more turns of screenshots taken. I'll write them up soon.

Chapter 3 – Siege of Karali

262BCE – Autumn – The consulship of Lvcivs Postvmivs Megellvs and Quintvs Mamilivs Vitvlvs

Father,

It is I, your son, again. I am still in service in Sardinia, as you know. However, some things have happened since I last wrote you.

We recently dispatched the army of Carthage that was on this island and whilst this puts us in control of the north, the south was still contested. The only way to secure Roman control of the entire island was to besiege and assault Karali. It is the main city of the island and in taking that we control the key point.

So Scipio Asina sent the orders out for us to do so.

The city was defended by a man named Carthalo, a man more suited to books and tax figures than warfare; however his bodyguards are tough to a man. They would rather die than run.

We deployed outside the city, us true Romans on one side and the Allies coming from another street. We marched down through the streets, the citizens baring their way. Vile propaganda and slanderous lies spread by the Carthaginians must have reached their ears.

Finally we reached the city centre. Standing there were a mere 80 men. We outnumbered them more than 10 to 1.

Yet they charged us anyway.

The hastate lead the counter charge, taking the brunt of the assault and paying dearly with blood for every one of these riders that they tore down. They were forced to withdraw from the combat because of the tremendous pressure, and then Scipio ordered us and the Triarii forward and the allies to flank (For our allies, the Lucanians and Samnites, are also armed with Spears).

We sheer amount of armour that these men carry made it almost impossible to kill the man directly, and as such we were forced to stab the horses, mainly around the eyes. Then when the man came to the ground, we would stab him with our daggers as many times as it took to take the man down.

The men fell one by one, each one extracting a heavy toll on us, until finally they were all dead. We lost about 200 men that day father, including almost a third of the Principes. I lost some friends, and saw some things I will never forget, yet this battle taught me to respect the bravery of these Carthaginians. I have nothing to praise these men for, save this.

So we took the town and sold the people into slavery. Scipio became quite rich from this and is now looking quite likely to get a triumph. I pray to Mars that I will be there to march beside him that day.

So for now we wait in the town and have started to pacify the rebellious minorities. They will learn respect, even if we have to beat it into them. We await a garrison force so that we may continue on. There are whispers that our next target will be Corsica. If so, then we still face another fight, though not as hard as what I have seen on this island. I have seen things here I will never forget.

Your son, with love as always,
    Spvrivs Cordivs

Good entry, but a little suggestion if you will. Considering there are going to be (I assume) many more battles and events to come, many much larger and more decisive, I'd recommend you save up your reports for bigger battles. Reason being, you don't want to get burned out writing up every single report. You could always mention the other happenings in passing, but save the big write-ups for the big battles. Of course, this might be what you're going for intentionally, given that it's a first person type thing where every battle he partakes in is counted, and that's fine. I'm just saying so you don't get tired early on basically.

Then again, I guess if you only report battles the 3rd legion is in, it won't be too much... not like if it was every battle of every legion. Anyhoo! I will be reading whatever you will be writing my friend. Keep it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderland
    Good entry, but a little suggestion if you will. Considering there are going to be (I assume) many more battles and events to come, many much larger and more decisive, I'd recommend you save up your reports for bigger battles. Reason being, you don't want to get burned out writing up every single report. You could always mention the other happenings in passing, but save the big write-ups for the big battles. Of course, this might be what you're going for intentionally, given that it's a first person type thing where every battle he partakes in is counted, and that's fine. I'm just saying so you don't get tired early on basically.

Then again, I guess if you only report battles the 3rd legion is in, it won't be too much... not like if it was every battle of every legion. Anyhoo! I will be reading whatever you will be writing my friend. Keep it coming.
    Yeah I am only reporting the fights from the 3rd Legion. That is what allows me to make it far more detailed. But I won't write about every little battle or event. In fat, if he hadn't killed 200 of my men, this would hardly have warranted a mention.

Great AAR so far, Count Arach!! I like the idea of just following the progress of one legion.... it makes all of the battles more personal. Keep it up

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Chapter 4 – Counter-Siege
    262BCE – Winter to 261 BCE – Autumn – The consulship of Lvcivs Valerivs Flaccvs and Tiberivs Otacilivs Crassvs

Father,

I find myself writing to you again. The hours are long; the days just seem emptier the longer I stay away from home. Little has been required of us through the spring, the summer and the autumn. We have been introducing an element of our good culture to the people of the island.

Our first step was to do this in Karali, thus cementing our control of the rebellious south. The fleet then dropped some leves off to take the garrison duties off our hands. They took over the south and we moved to the north. We have been garrisoned there ever since.

We stayed in this simple camp through summer and autumn. It is now moving towards winter, and I keep thinking this will be my last. Let me explain:

After our capture of Karali, the Carthaginians landed a small contingent outside the city. We thought nothing of it at the time, so we moved away and left the garrison in charge of the city.

Well just a week ago word arrived that the garrison had been entirely killed by this small contingent. We were all amazed. The leves had outnumbered the enemy 4 to 1. Karali had fallen back into the enemy’s hand.

We were about to break camp, the Scipio realised 2 things. For 1 we would be bogged down by the snow that was soon to arrive, and for another we also heard tell of a small army from Corsica who had landed on the island to challenge us.

Scipio decided we would stay put and let them come to us.

And they did.

They besieged our camp, and that is where we sit now. I know that I cannot send this, but still I find myself longing to talk to you again. But I must serve my country. Rome must prevail.

Your son, with all the love of the Gods,
    Spvrivs Cordivs

God I love BI. I wonder what composition that besieging army is made up of. This sure puts a stint on the III's plans.

lol, pretty much what I thought. It means that after the battles to retake Sardinia I will have to return to Italy for reinforcements! Gah!

Next chapter should be coming soon, but I can't promise anything ;)

Chapter 5 – Retaking Sardinia
    261 BCE – Winter – The consulship of Lvcivs Valerivs Flaccvs and Tiberivs Otacilivs Crassvs

Father,

As I told you last time, we found ourselves besieged at the very end of last month. However, all that has now changed. Let me explain.

The first order that Scipio Asina gave to us was to break camp. We marched out in battle order and assaulted those who were besieging us.

He had all the infantry (Including myself) deploy in front of the main gate. To our left were the Accensi and their slings as well as the cavalry.

We marched out towards our enemy. Their spears were reflecting the sun right into our eyes. It was frightening father, though I should not admit that. But this is the plain and honest truth. The grass came up to my chest, it was as if I was wading through the water as I first did when coming on to this island.

Our leves hurled all their spears, the slingers unloaded their ammo and our men threw all their Pila into the enemy’s ranks. The enemy just stood there and took it. They just stepped forward over their fallen comrades and awaited our charge.

Then we charged.

We ran forward towards our opponents, together with our one-time enemy’s, the Samnites. Together and with a resonating crash we hit their lines. Our Pila had started to tell on their numbers and as such we were able to surround them.

Finally they broke and only revenge for our fallen friends was in our minds. The Samnites continued on with the Rorarii and charged the second line of infantry that our men had deployed. However, our centurion, Marcus, ordered us to turn to our left. We carried out the order and saw the Hastati and Lucanians fighting valiantly against superior numbers of enemies.

We marched at the enemy’s rear.

And by the Gods did we charge.

Finally, the enemy ran out of reinforcements and we were able to grind down the final enemy detachments. They broke and our cavalry pursued them.

So now we were free of our camp, but we still had one task remaining before the winter was done. We had to fight for Karali yet again.

This time though the garrison was much smaller and the enemy were tired. The locals still caused some casualties amongst our men, but we retook the town without a worry.

So now we are back in total control of the island. There are whispers that we will be returning home next year, or perhaps the year after, but I try not to get my hopes up. The Carthaginian navy still rules the seas. They patrol near us every day, though so far we have not seen anyone disembark.

So father, it appears that I am still alive. I look forward to being reunited with you.

You loving and dutiful son,
    Spvrivs Cordivs
    Last edited by CountArach; 02-28-2007 at 06:23.

Hey, looks like Spvurivs' cohort killed the (2nd) most enemies out of all the infantry. A commendation for the man! He'll climb the ranks in no time, I'm sure.

However this was still a testing grounds one must admit. A group of levies, untrained, unarmoured, unskilled poenis lead by a lowly captain! I still await the future, where Spvurivs Cordivus' mettle will be put to the test in a real battle. Outnumbered, outgunned, outclassed (or so they would have you believe!).

Iupiter speed young SC.

I've read AAR's and yours is great, no, superb!

A story on a single legion is a fresh idea.

But watch out, if you dont want you story to end then

protect spurivs' maniple!

Hey, looks like Spvurivs' cohort killed the (2nd) most enemies out of all the infantry. A commendation for the man! He'll climb the ranks in no time, I'm sure.
    Let's just say I have plans for him ;)

However this was still a testing grounds one must admit. A group of levies, untrained, unarmoured, unskilled poenis lead by a lowly captain! I still await the future, where Spvurivs Cordivus' mettle will be put to the test in a real battle. Outnumbered, outgunned, outclassed (or so they would have you believe!).
    You are right, Sardinia is a fairly soft target (Though I have still lost probably close to a third of the legion since I arrived). I can't wait until much later in their 'life' to see what kind of opponents they wil come up against and how they will fair. I suppose I could move them to Sicily where there are several better opponents, but Carthage just hasn't got the numbers there to contend with me. We'll see what comes up later on.

I've read AAR's and yours is great, no, superb!

A story on a single legion is a fresh idea.
    Wow! Thanks heaps! Great to hear that everyone so far has liked it.

protect spurivs' maniple!
    lol that's why I chose the Principes, sitting nicely in the centre of my line. Nicely protected on all sides. I make sure to follow him every battle.

Excellent AAR. First one that I've seen thats focused on a single unit/legion. CA you've inspired me to start keeping my own AAR, although I've yet to post anything on it.

Glad to see the 3rd survived Sardinia. Wish I could say the same thing for my 1st and 2nd legions at Taras...both were effectively put out of action for at least a year in that assault. Not to mention they failed to take Taras....

Kushan
    EB Team Member

Rise of Kings: v2.0 Beta 3 Now Available

Thanks Kushan! Wow, I've inspired people.

To echo the words of others, this is a bloody brilliant AAR, Arach. A novel idea, too. Keep it up!
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

i like the perspective, and you've put together a nice choice of screens, too. even if that last battle was against a bunch of poeni levies, at least they kept some level of cohesion, and the BI naval abilities are just soooo cool.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

As you know I love this AAR ( As I stated earlier in Post #3) and have to agree with all other posts, this is a great story. I wonder if 3rd legion will go out of italy?

Thanks Justiciar!

Thanks Paullus! Your right, BI adds so much to the game, especially with the naval invasions. If you look carefully at part 1 you will see some Carthaginians laying seige to Capua :P

I hope so Warluster, and I have my grand strategy for winning the islands worked out. They should see some real action in a few years.

Brilliant perspective! Love it!

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Post Re: 3rd Legion - Roma's Bulls

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast