Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A guide to install EB, screenshots provided

Default Re: A guide to install EB, screenshots provided

I'd just like to say congratulations and thanks to all involved in this post!

If it enabled me, someone is often heroically inept in computer matters, to succesfully install EB at the first time of asking it truly is an exceptionally helpful post.

Thanks!
    Only a few seek liberty; the majority seek nothing more than fair masters - Sallust

A lie told often enough becomes truth - Vladimir Lenin

A few weeks ago I tried to download EB mod for my RTW gold edition. The downloading and installation proces went fine,but when I clicked the EB shortcut on my desktop it said it couldn't find the files.

After some searching(with that little flashlight icon) it found something and my game seemed to launch.I noticed it had the same loading screen as plain RTW, and I had the feeling that something was not right.

The EB link just brought me to normal RTW(but without my saved games,so I guess it was my backup version).Am I the only one facing this problem?How could I solve it?

I removed all EB downloads from my computer, and I made all factions playable(I changed the files myself,I didn't used one of those 'make all factions playable' mods.

Now I want to download EB again, but I need to know what I did wrong the first time so I don't make the same mistake. By the way,should I change the RTW faction files back to normal,or remove and reinstall RTW?
    Inca-Total War Traits & Ancillaries

First of all you could check the part about installing EB. Meticulously. Very.
    It seems as if you installed EB not on top of your RTW build, but somewhere else, hence the shortcut points to a nonexistent executable.

IT IS PARAMOUNT to succesfully installing EB that you point the EB installer to the EXACT SAME LOCATION as THAT OF YOUR RTW.EXE

Hope this solves your issues,
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Help! Okay, so i installed it, and everything, and it couldnt find the rometw.exe. So I searched for it, and found it was in the same file. I restarted my computer, and then it said it could not read EB081av2. It automatically opened it up with picture and fax! So I decided to open it up with Rome Total War, but it does nothing! Any suggestions?(I hope I can get this to run, this game looks AWESOME!)

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by automatic4thepeople
    Help! Okay, so i installed it, and everything, and it couldnt find the rometw.exe. So I searched for it, and found it was in the same file. I restarted my computer, and then it said it could not read EB081av2. It automatically opened it up with picture and fax! So I decided to open it up with Rome Total War, but it does nothing! Any suggestions?(I hope I can get this to run, this game looks AWESOME!)
    You have installed EB to the incorrect directory. The default install path in the installer doesn't go to the right place for everyone. Note the file that vanilla RTW is in. Uninstall EB (this may seem to freeze, give it time), then reinstall EB. When it asks where to install it to, put in the location of RTW on your system. The most common paths are:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\"
    "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\" and
    "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Rome - Total War\"

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    When it asks where to install it to, put in the location of RTW on your system. The most common paths are:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\"
    "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\" and
    "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Rome - Total War\"
    Oh, and please note that "Most Common" is not equal to "Your path, guaranteed". First thing to do would be to check where you installed your copy of RTW to.

Quite a few people seem to mix that bit up, so I though better to remind in case you'd do the same... No?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

First of all, I'm suprised at how fast i got an answer! I've uninstalled my game and I'm reinstalling it, but I'm not sure which file to put it in. You suggested Activision, The Creative Assemblies, and Sega. Sega only has a Medieval 2 folder so I don't think that would be it. However, Activision and the Creative Assemblies both have Rome Total War folders. I'm pretty sure it would be the Creative Assemblies folder, because that one has both the icons (Rome and Barbarian invasion) and Gamespy (and saves), and the Activision one has saves and preferences. I just need confirmation before I put my EB in Creative Assemblies, because I don't want to be wrong and have to uninstall it and reinstall it again!

Quote Originally Posted by automatic4thepeople
    First of all, I'm suprised at how fast i got an answer! I've uninstalled my game and I'm reinstalling it, but I'm not sure which file to put it in. You suggested Activision, The Creative Assemblies, and Sega. Sega only has a Medieval 2 folder so I don't think that would be it. However, Activision and the Creative Assemblies both have Rome Total War folders. I'm pretty sure it would be the Creative Assemblies folder, because that one has both the icons (Rome and Barbarian invasion) and Gamespy (and saves), and the Activision one has saves and preferences. I just need confirmation before I put my EB in Creative Assemblies, because I don't want to be wrong and have to uninstall it and reinstall it again!
    Your activision folder is an old install. You should install it into the same directory that has the RomeTW.exe, which will be "Creative Assembly/Rome - Total War/" (if you haven't changed the name of it).

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

My first post to the EB community -- was indoctrinated to the RTW experience about six months ago as I started an ultimately successful Roman campaign in RTR 6.3 and am now ready to take the EB plunge! Am really looking forward to enjoying this mod.

I just wanted to let y'all know that I was able to install EB 0.81a_v2 with no problems...excellent instructions, Tellos! In addition, for the record I was able to successfully install without making a full copy of the RTW folder to an EB subfolder...I wiped my RTR install and then reinstalled a clean and patched RTW, figuring the full copy to a separate folder would facilitate playing more than one mod over time simultaneously (am I right on this one?). I don't want to muddy the waters here with this observation, but wanted to show that this doesn't seem to be a hard and rast requirement for a successful EB install.

Anyway, I've just started a Romani campaign and haven't seen any problems yet. This really does look like an outstanding mod...MANY THANKS to all of you for giving us such a great historical sim!

And for those of you having install troubles: Hang in there, don't get too frustrated, and follow the instructions EXACTLY!
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

You're entirely correct. We recommend the back up only to prevend compatibiltiy issues with other mods, since EB still does overwrite some files of the Vanilla install (apart from adding many more in the separate EB subfolder in your RTW directory.

Thanks for the feedback, and... Enjoy!
    - Tellos Athenaios

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

However EB fails to address its biggest problem, the download, it is very slow and at present you cannot download the mod from its Official web page, only the down load of screensavers and links to other related website is given. EB admits there have been many download problems from its website and suggest “Accordingly, if you follow these instructions EXACTLY, you should not have a problem:” they have also made a ‘Technical Support Forum’ with ‘A guide to install EB, screenshots provided’ again it fails to please with poor screen shots.
    Just spotted this on the Wikipedia site. Figured someone might want to change that.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Just spotted this on the Wikipedia site. Figured someone might want to change that.
    Wow, that's mean (and very exagerated).

"In my case the path ended up like this:
    Next, click "OK". Depending on your PC specs, things are going to take a while. It takes my PC (1024MB RAM; 1,8Ghz duo core processor) so much time, I can 'safely' start watching a movie and ignore my PC till the first comercial break. Now, when your PC is finally done with the "OK" thingy the screen will look similar as to when your first had to insert the installation path... And breathe... However, this time the "address" (destination/ installation path are other ways to describe the same stuff) is that of your clean RTW 1.5. In my case that was this (see also the screenie above): "

Im not to sure about this part in step 5. Previously i had to direct the installation onto the original RTW folder. Is step 5 now telling me to direct it onto the other copied backup version?or am i directing it to the same old rtw folder that i saved over at the beginning of step 5? Sorry if this sounds confusing but I am confused a bit .

Litterally they would refer to the same file folder. However, your back up of your clean RTW 1.5 should work as well.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Updated the guide, to remove that source of possible confusion. Thanks for bringing it up.
    - Tellos Athenaios

So i install it to the original RTW folder that i used for the the first destination? Sorry about pestering, but i just wanna make the installation work first time round without any slip ups. That and im a tad slow in the brain department

You can install it in whichever of the two folders you like. The point is to keep a copy of the clean RTW installation so that you don't have to reinstall everything again if you decide to get another mod.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thanks alot!

What is the hard drive requirement just to get the installation files unloaded?

A bit more than 1 GB I think. Unfortunately you cannot control where they are unpacked, so they normally end up on your system disk. If you have a minimal disk to contain only your OS, like me, you may be better off opening the installer with 7-zip and extracting the files that way.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Ok i did everything step by step, install a fresh RTW GOLD File, download the EB program, installed it in a copied vanilla folder of RTW GOLD(v1.5) after all that i start to load the game up, i see the copy right and trade mark display screen come up and it does nothing, im sitting here for 20 minutes to an hour waiting for this game to start but its still on that screen, am i missing something here or what, i have no problem playing RTW and BI, even the new MTW, but the EB game wont start, i been wracking my mind about it the last 3 days,

A couple of suggestions off the bat: Perhaps you are not using the EB shortcut, but the regular RTW exe or shortcut? In the task manager, does RomeTW.exe spend a lot of CPU or is it just sitting there? If you install FileMon you can see more detailed the activities of the game starting up and see where it stops.

A moderator may perhaps make a new thread out of this.

================
    ================

well the shortcut works it will load the intro screen of EB but it wont do anything,

Quote Originally Posted by me
    In the task manager, does RomeTW.exe spend a lot of CPU or is it just sitting there? If you install FileMon you can see more detailed the activities of the game starting up and see where it stops.

================
    ================

i got it to work, i tried installing the temp fixes, restart the computer and everything ....load EB up and it took me to the game menu, so i played a game or two to make sure there its running correctly, so far so good, this mod is more interesting than RTR, but then again all total war games Own

thanks for the help though,

That's good, but keep in mind that the temporary fixes will disable some functionality (particularly the trait file nerf). You should try to get it to work with the regular files.

================
    ================

Dragon's Fire Member Swiss Halberd Pike Landsknecht's Avatar
    In the keep of my Norman influenced motte-and-bailey as a provincial Daimyō, guarded by my loyal huscarls, Swiss Guard, longbowmen & handgonners.

sorry to ask

but I'm very confused

I've got RTW Anthology,

installed it all, and now patched to 1.5

I tried to install it, and kept the install folder to the RTW folder (didn't change it) as it was a clean install

after it installed I restarted the pc, and double clicked on the EB icon on the destop, BUT it said it couldn't find the file?!!!

so I'm not sure where to install EB to then? I read the instructions but I'm still confused

If you go to your RTW directory using Windows Explorer, you should be able to see both RomeTW.exe and a folder called EB. If there is no EB folder there, you installed into the wrong directory. I'm pretty sure you did. If there is no EB folder there, copy the full path you're in, and paste that as the installation path for EB when you do it again.

The Anthology version may install into another directory than the default EB installation directory, you see. You need to be absolutely sure they match.

================
    ================

Dragon's Fire Member Swiss Halberd Pike Landsknecht's Avatar
    In the keep of my Norman influenced motte-and-bailey as a provincial Daimyō, guarded by my loyal huscarls, Swiss Guard, longbowmen & handgonners.

thanks

It was actually my mistake, as I didn't see where it was installing to (the folder didn't exist before and originally had no RTW.exe)

but before going on the forum again, I uninstalled EB and reinstalled it, this time to the proper clean RTW folder (and made sure thats where the RTW was)

and now it works

I've been very busy the last few weeks and next few weeks with work, but when its over I should have lots of fun playing the campaigns for RTW, BI, Alexander & EB (as well as more MTW Gold & M2TW)

I was told on another thread I should download the 2 perm fixes
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=82256

Pahlava & traits

I guess I'll put them where it says I should, and hopefully there won't be any problems

also I guess there is no problems me starting a new campaign in vanilla RTW, and saving the campaigns, and also starting a campaign in EB and saving as well (hopefully no conflict)

Those permanent fixes increase stability, although most will play full campaigns with unmodded 0.81aV2 and not experience a crash. Even if you don't get them installed, don't worry. If you do get a crash, you'll need to verify that you've got them though.

EB puts some files in the vanilla structure, so you may experience some change in graphics and the like. This is why we encourage making a copy of the 1.5 RTW for EB, in addition to that EB might interfere with other mods for the same reason. Vanilla should still play well though. But if you've played M2TW for a bit, you will probably not enjoy vanilla RTW much, just a warning.

================
    ================

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast