Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: A guide to install EB, screenshots provided

Default Re: A guide to install EB, screenshots provided

I tried to find whether the info I need was already passed, but apparently I am the first one to get into this kind of difficulty. Here is my problem.

I recently bought Rome Total War just because I wanted to play Europa Barbarorum and not the original game itself, but in Italy, where I live, I found only RTW Gold (english version), bundled with Barbarian Invasion. The problem is that I cannot install only RTW because automatically Barbarian Invasion too is installed. In the readme file it is written that BI modifies and overwrites some of the files of RTW, so it is not possible to uninstall it because RTW would malfunction.

At this point I have four questions:

1. Can I install EB 1.1 on top of RTW INCLUDING the expansion Barbarian Invasion, or RTW+BI is to be considered a modded version so it is advisable not to install also EB 1.1?

2. If 1 is not possible, can I install the bundle, then uninstall BI and after that install EB 1.1? Meaning, will EB 1.1 further overwrite and modify the files affected by BI, so in the end everything gets OK and I can play?

3. If neither 1 nor 2 work, is there any way to get out of my fix?

4. Did I throw away the money I spent to buy RTW Gold?

Thanks for your kindness and attention

Aulus

It *should* work; but RTW Gold is a bit of a troublemaker for some. Just check everything is patched up properly.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    It *should* work; but RTW Gold is a bit of a troublemaker for some. Just check everything is patched up properly.
    Thanks, Tellos. Are you suggesting I use solution 1, (installing EB on top of RTW+BI) or 2 (uninstalling BI and then installing EB) or both?

Thanks again

Aulus

I am not to familiar with BI/RTW Gold but my first thought would be to install it to <Your RomeTW folder> and run it from the usual RTW.exe. If you want BI though; I suggest you take a look around in the unofficial submods fora or browse the technical support threads -- the question 'how to run EB from BI' has been answered numerous times. And I guess it would work exactly the same regardless of whether you have bought RTW + BI as a Gold edition or as separate packs.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Hello people,

It's the third time I install EB 1.1, and it still doesn't work. I did everything properly, as very well explained up here.

It launches, loads, makes fine sounds and musics, but crashes without a word when I want to lauch a campain.

I appologize if there is an answer to this issue somewhere, I could not find it and I spent the last 4 hours fighting with this...

EDIT : it works fine in "windows mode", but I can't really play on a half screen...
    Last edited by nevenoe; 05-18-2008 at 00:32.

You can have windowed mode occupy your full screen. Just go to 'Options' > 'Video' and adjust 'Strategy' and 'Battlemap' resolution to whatever you want and your monitor can display. Be sure to apply your changes too! Otherwise these will be lost and you will be greeted by 'half' screen again next time you run EB.

Also be informed that the game's UI doesn't look good at high resolutions; and that particularly if you have a non 4:3 resolution (e.g.: 1024*768; 1600*1200) you will see a distortion (circles aren't proper circles anymore) & blurry unit/building cards and similar UI elements.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Nevenoe, you may have the same weird problem that Stone and Blood has, which is connected to the voicemods. I haven't yet been able to make a version for 1.1 that cuts out the voicemods.

In the meantime, there are many suggestions to make it work which you can find in the validation sticky. Please post a new thread for further help.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I read and followed the guide, but the game still doesn't work.

I have Rome - Total War 1.5. I installed the game as explained (windows XP), but when I click the Play icon for EB it launches normal Rome - Total War.

The game (1.5v) is installed in Program Files\Activion\etc. , but I also tried installing EB to a copy pasted version in a C:\Games folder I made, but had the same result.

Check the shortcut you used.

Does it say on the "Target" line : ""<Your RTW Location>\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb ?

Whether or not it also say different things; the one thing important here is that it should read -mod:eb
    - Tellos Athenaios

So yeah I guess I didn't read that part of the guide. It works fine now. I started a campaign with the Greeks (Common Greeks) and boy is it hard.

I have an issue, when i attempt to install EB, it asks you where in your directory to put EB (supposed to be in the folder that actually holds clean 1.5) and then after it does some loading or whatnot it asks me where i want a few other files which i didnt expect and i wonder should i direct them to the same 1.5 containing folder or another location
    Last edited by fuglewarrior; 06-12-2008 at 02:21.

The extras are standalone and can be installed anywhere you like.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I'm want to download EB but hav some questions:

1. I've set factions like dacia playable must i reset that?
    2. I've got the 2 expansions of rtw must i really reinstal rtw coz i micht want to play barb invasion and i dont want to reinstall again btw in barb and alexander i also setted som factions playable must i reset it back to normal?

plz help

greetings

Dracorax (Niels)

No need to change anything in Vanilla, most of the things (like what you describe) we don't use. The validation will alert you about the things you've changed but it should be okay.

It should be okay to install it where you also have the two expansions, however some have had problems with it and had to reinstall without them. I suggest you try it first. Create a copy of the RTW folder and install EB there.

================
    ================

I went to install EB and it said it didn't recommend putting it in program files so I canceled and went to move thr Rome: Total War file. Then I went to install it again and it never appeared on the desktop. Then I searched for the set up and found it but when I clicked on it it that it could not find the file location. Help?

nevermind. I just redownloaded it and it worked fine. This is the best mod ever.

I'm part of why Tellos made a picture guide, what with my constant questions,failures

How 'bout the 1.2 patch? Where should it be installed to. In the RTW folder of course, but where exactly? To the 1.1 version folder, perhaps, or to install it to a separate folder?
    ''Proof of absence is the absence of proof''
    -(unknown)

''Venerate authority''
    -Abe's Oddysey

Exactly the same location you choosed to install EB 1.1 in. (As that location contains the required patched-to-1.5 "RTW.exe".)
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 12-26-2008 at 15:20.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: EB wont start up.

Is that a typo? It should be show_error
    Last edited by A Very Super Market; 04-26-2009 at 17:06.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I updated the main post with a bunch of stuff that was not relevant any more, seeing as 1.0 is no longer used. Tellos, perhaps you'd be able to update the screenshots at some point?

================
    ================

When I get round to actually using the 1.2 installer. That's the problem with pulling from SVN. :shrugs:
    - Tellos Athenaios

Yeah, there is that.

================
    ================

I was wondering what to do during the step when you have to uninstall RTW, since I got it for buying ETW and got it via online code

Im not sure if this has been said, but I made a guide on TWC about installing with Steam. Heres just a copy of it:

It seams people are having trouble with this, so I thought I would clear it up. I bought the Alexander version of steam (since I forgot to get the real one) and figured this out a little while ago. Firstoff, download EB, and install it into your C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\rome total war gold as you have probably have guessed. Download and install EB 1.2 as well. Now comes the harder part. Normally if you had a disk version of the game merely clicking on the EB shortcut that is installed would work, but it targets itself at the TrivialScript, which in turn targets Rome.exe, which with Steam will not work. So heres how to fix it. In Steam, make a desktop shortcut for RTW Gold vanilla. Right click this and click on properties. Under target it should say something like:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 4760

But yours may be different, dont use mine. Copy this. Now right click your EB shortcut (or any, it doesnt really matter) and paste this over what is written in target. Leave a space and paste this:

-show_err -nm -mod:EB

And you'll have something like:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -mod:EB

It should work. But I've only tried it with the Alexander expantion, so I'm not 100% sure.
    What time does not pervert, it destroys outright.
    From this we may conclude that there are no eternal truths, no limitless passions.
    There are only subtle deceptions.

~My brother's new book.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

Bump. This should be a sticky.

It is, through the Important information sticky. We used to have so many stickies noone ever read them. Now we have fewer and still most people don't read them.

================
    ================

Still though, this thread is helpfull.
    What time does not pervert, it destroys outright.
    From this we may conclude that there are no eternal truths, no limitless passions.
    There are only subtle deceptions.

~My brother's new book.

graduated non-expert Member jerby's Avatar

Short and silly:

When I installed EB1.1 I also get the startup for EB trivialscript and EB unit documentation. Do they need to be in activision/rome - total war or just seperate, whereever I want?

I currently have them in c:\ program files, but now I'm trying ALX.exe and I get the error message "at EB/Data/script/Show_me/EBBS_script unknown the trait at line 177".
    The trait is "EnemyCampCaptured". Now my AI factions aren't getting money form the script, but I get 10K every season....

(I also asked here, with a pic https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...99#post2308299 )

The Trivial Script and Unit Documentation can be installed anywhere. The script error seems like a botched submod.

================
    ================

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast