Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Duchy of Bavaria

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Duchy of Bavaria

I thank the Kaiser for his offer and I gladly accept. I hope this cooperation can help mend relations between the two of us, as well as increase the security of the Reich.

I believe that the best course of actions is the one we agreed upon before: a gradual push down the Italian peninsula, by one army, with a second defending against further attacks on Milan and Genoa. The offensive force should begin by cracking the defenses around Venice, then proceed to Bologna, Florence and Rome in turn. The defensive force will defend Genoa and Milan until they are no longer threatened by the Byzantines. When these cities are secure (likely when Florence is finally recaptured) it can be released to either operate against the French to the west or to invade Ajaccio.

As it stands now, I believe that Friedrich Karolinger and Kaiser Elberhard should concentrate on the offensive operation, beginning around Venice. The finer details can be coordinated amongst the two of you without the need to consult with me. Tactical decisions should be made by the commanders concerned, not by someone hundreds of miles away. I will continue in my defensive role, which will involve my immediate march to Milan. I plan to encamp next to the walls of the city, so that I move to the aid of the garrison when it is assaulted. I feel that I can achieve victory this way without the need for further reinforcements.

From now on, the army commanded by Friedrich Karolinger will take up the name Bavarian Household Army Otto von Kassel (BHA Otto), and will be mainly concerned with offensive actions as it was before this whole crisis begin. The force I command will be named Bavarian Household Army Gerhard Steffen (BHA Gerhard), and will be mainly concerned with defensive actions.
    Last edited by TinCow; 12-16-2007 at 21:03.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

The Kaiser enters the Great Hall of the House of Bavaria.

Duke Lothar, noble Electors of Bavaria, I thank you for your hospitality - both in this Hall and indeed in Nuremburg at large. It is good to be discussing strategy rather than politics. I agree with Duke Lothar that tactical decisions are best made by those on the ground. However, in Outremer, I did find Councils of War most useful for reviewing tactical options - several heads are better than one!

Duke Lothar's two fisted approach to North Italy sounds excellent. We will strike with our right - my army and BHA Gerhard - and guard with our left - BHA Otto.

If I recall the reports correctly, there are three Byzantine armies marching east towards my position. The first two are led by nobles, but are not formidable. The third - under a Captain Draganos - is a veritable monster, composed almost exclusively of dismounted Latinkon.

One possible tactic would be for my army to strike down the two noble-led armies in quick succession. I have more cavalry than BHA Gerhard and I believe they would make tackling the lesser armies more easily.

However, I am unsure how best to tackle Draganos. It is not clear that either my army or BHA Gerhard - which has now lost four regiments to Count Erlach's feudal retinue - could attack it alone and be confident of victory. I wonder if the best tactic would be to strike Draganos simultaneously from both sides with my army coming from the east and BHA Gerhard from the west?

It would probably be premature to fix on a plan without the Chancellor's approval, I would eager to hear the thoughts of the fine generals of Bavaria.
    Last edited by econ21; 12-16-2007 at 22:28.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Herrmann Steffen:

Father, fellow Bavarians, I'm here, ready to do what's ordered of me.

Currently I'm not stuck in an optimal position - Nuremburg may bloody well be in the middle of nowhere, whether it used to be Bavarian or not - but I shall ride as fast as is humanly possible to get to where I'm needed most.

Obviously, if getting me knighted is a priority (and to me, it is) then Prague would be an ideal destination, but I'm afraid I'll get sucked into the campaign there and never get back to Italy until I'm 40. I can see it now - if we destory that Polish army near Prague, Breslau looks open, and we'll be hurting after the battle so I'll still be needed...

...anyway, I'm here.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Herrmann,

I have given you enough of an education to allow you to determine for yourself where you should be stationed. Your observations about Prague are accurate, but if you are looking for battle closer to home, perhaps you can ride south to join Count Erlach at Innsbruck. There is a Hungarian army currently encamped near the citadel and it will hopefully be disposed of soon. If you were to aid Count Erlach in this endeavor, perhaps he would see fit to knight you for your actions. I leave the choice up to you.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Herrmann Steffen:

Prague looks to be in the tougher situation at the moment. Innsbruck is a giant citadel that can hold back anything, and Prague is just a city with minor defenses. Plus, it's actually under siege.

I'll just scurry out to Prague, kill some Poles, get knighted, and then tell whoever I need to tell to get my butt back to Italy.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Bavarians,

I am attempting to coordinate our strategy for Italy with the Kaiser. As part of this process, it has become obvious to me that some reorganization of our forces is necessary. The remnants of BHA Gerhard are no longer sufficient to serve as an independant force. Therefore I am merging them permanently into BHA Otto. For the time being, I will personally command this army and use it to protect Milan and Genoa.

However, even with these two BHAs combined into one, the army is weak and will need reinforcement before any offensive actions can be realistically considered. Given the prosperous state of the Imperial Treasury at the moment, I expect that military recruitment will not be a problem at the end of this year. Count Erlach already commands a small but high quality force at Innsbruck, and I belive that another year's worth of recruitment should be sufficient to allow it to take the field as an army in its own right. Therefore, I am dubbing Count Erlach's force in Innbruck as BHA Gerhard.

Count Erlach, I believe it is essential that your army march south to aid our war efforts in Italy as soon as possible. However, there is a Hungarian army outside Innsbruck and we cannot leave the citadel poorly defended while it trespasses on our lands. Therefore, as soon as the next round of recruitment is completed, I urge you to go forth and destroy this army so that you can march south to Italy without risking the secruity of Innbruck.

We are also greatly in need of active generals in Italy. Count Karolinger and Sir von Bavaria are capable soldiers and I am pleased to have them with me, but they are currently incapable of leading battles. To make matters worse, I will be similarly incapacitated for a short while due to personal issues. (OOC: Out of town and unable to fight battles from 12/30 to 1/5, though I will be on the forums.) This makes it essential that all capable Bavarians join our forces in Italy as soon as possible. Herrmann, I must therefore insist that you immediately abandon whatever you are doing at Prague and return to the Duchy. If you head to Innbruck now, you will likely be able to replace Count Erlach shortly after he departs. Assuming the Imperial Treasury allows for continues recruitment in coming years, you should be able to pick up more reinforcements there and then bring them south to Italy as well.

It is of the utmost importance, both to the Reich and Bavaria, that we concentrate all of our efforts on retaking the Italian provinces. From now on, this must be the focus of all of our efforts.

Blog Entries

Herrmann Steffen:

Of course, Father. I shall set out immediately.

Blog Entries

Herrmann Steffen:

Well, that was a total waste. I go out of my way to help out with Prague, we realize that I should be heading south, not northeast, and I don't even get knighted for the *#%!ing effort and now I find myself hundreds of miles from Innsbruck.

Still, at least I'm alive.

Indeed. Perhaps next time you will give a bit more weight to your father's advice.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

A wise Choice, I will gladly destroy the Hungarian force. What of the Kaiser's army now that he's Hundreds of miles from it?
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

I have consulted with my scouts and examined the maps. With Genoa clear and Bologna liberated, there are few armies left in Italy to oppose us. However, the Kaiser's army cannot push forward because it is leaderless. It is clear from Kaiser Peter's statements that he intends to keep the army for himself. This is a bit foolish in my opinion, given the situation, but I have no desire to argue with him over it.

Instead, I will advance with Count Karolinger and BHA Otto and make directly for Florence. I will destroy the remaining Byzantine army outside that city and then recapture it. If Kaiser Peter is so determined to make some difference in Italy, he can then take his precious army south to Rome.

Count Erlach, you now command BHA Gerhard. While it is not a large force, it has enough strength to take the field. If you feel up to it, the Hungarian army is ripe for attack. Be aware that it is equal to your own in strength and the mountainous terrain of the Alps may be against you in the battle. Do what you think best. My hope is that you can make your way down to Italy over the next few years and make ready to sail to Ajaccio. I will reserve for you the honor of personally retaking the island that you defended so well for so many years.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

I will Gladly Destroy those Hungarian Dogs.

(OOC:what do I leave as a garrison?)
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Blog Entries

Herrmann Steffen:

Looks like another Diet Session is upon us, gentlemen. Be thankful that we have survived this long.

Does anybody have any ideas for edicts? Anyone contemplating a stand for Chancellor? Organization during these times are always good.

I will propose another Edict like I did last term, which will authorize the reconquest of our lost territories. That is necessary for us to continue on the offensive. Beyond that, however, I am at a loss for whatever other legislation is needed.

Blog Entries

Herrmann Steffen:

In the wake of the Sicilian invasion, I propose that Marseille be abandoned save for a skeleton garrison, and that I make my way to Italy proper to lend my services.

I am loath to abandon this city so lightly, especially after it has just been reconquered, and give up the cross as well, but the Peninsula is more important. We all felt the effects of our great Italian ports being shut down to us during the Cataclysm.

I agree with your strategy, and would be grateful to have you at my side, my son. We shall retake Genoa this year, to secure our flank, and then move against the Sicilians.

I hearby name Herrmann Steffen as the new Count of Bologna. I don't need to explain why, I'm a Duke.

Blog Entries

Herrmann Steffen:

I request that all Bavarians immediately report to the Sicilian theatre in order to take up arms against the coming foe.

Electors, Bavaria is under attack. Your Duke, Lothar Steffen, is under attack, and you are honor-bound to assist him and your House in this time of need. If we succeed, then better times are surely to come.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112