Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Duchy of Franconia

Default Duchy of Franconia

Duchy of Franconia

Provinces of Franconia

Frankfurt

Administrated by Duke Of Franconia, Gunther Von Kastillien.

Hamburg

Administrated by Count, Fredericus Von Hamburg.

Stettin

Magdeburg

Administrated by Count, Jonas Von Mahren.

Thorn

Breslau

Franconian Nobles

Duke Dietrich Von Saxony died 1190 AD
    Count Fredericus Von Hamburg
    Duke Gunther Von Kastillien
    Count Jonas Von Mahren
    Ansehelm von Kastilien
    Knight Helmut von Hamburg
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 05-14-2007 at 19:24.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Default Re: Dutchy of Franconia

Noble Lords and Knights, sons of Franconia!

We have the legacy of the East Frankish Kindom on our shoulders. Franconia has always been the heart of the Reich and our tribe the Franks, the most fierce of Germanic peoples.
    Remember, your forefathers look at you from heaven and we should not let them down. While the other houses look down on Italy. We as true Germans should look In all directions. To the Netherlands on the West, Scandinavia to the North and Poland to the East.
    My goal as the Duke of Franconia is to bring prosperity to our lands and defend them against any foe. While others look at places where trade already gives lots of prosperity to people and envy those. We Franks dont have to look far. Our lands are in the middle of Northern Europe.This means we are in the crossroads of all Northern trade routes coming from East,West,North Sea and Baltics. We should build our lands so that we get our fair share of all that trade. This would allow better possibilities to our children and future leaders of Franconia as they follow our lead.
    To current matters.If anyone has any grievances or other public matters concerning Franconia ,they should speak of those issues here.

Dietrich Von Saxony, Duke of Franconia
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-01-2007 at 15:59.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I'm going to get directly to the point here. We desperately need to take over Magdeburg, not out of a desire to expand, but because it would make Franconia much more defensible. How this should be presented to the Diet, I do not know, but it is going to be vital for our future safety.

Perhaps the standing armies that are being discussed in the Diet could take care of this problem, although the current proposal limits them to staying within our borders. Perhaps an exception could be made for our case since Magdeburg is so obviously a defensive position for us. Or perhaps, we just need to propose a separate edict to allow us to take it.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Magdenburg is currently held by the Poles, right ? That would make matters all the more easy for us, for how can the mighty Reich tolerate it's enemies in the hart of it's domain. Ridiculous.

So yes, action needs to be taken as soon as we can. I think proposing an edict which states the house of Franconia wishes to take Magdenburg for the Reich as soon as possible would do the trick. If one of our generals were to lead the assault it would be even better.

I am currently not allowed to do so, but I'd be happy enough to fight with one of our more veteran Generals.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

You need to keep in mind that we are stretched very thin already, and some in the Diet may just see "those madmen want to take yet another city, when we can barely hold the ones we've got".
    Seen in that light, it will be shot down quickly and brutally by the Diet, I'm afraid.

Not least because the majority seem to be biased towards the southern lands, and may not want to mandate any action that takes military attention away from their own lands where they want as many troops as possible.

We need to emphasise that this is not a matter of expansion, but of defense. Magdeburg gives the Poles access to the heart of Franconia, while making troop movements very much harder for us. We have a huge border to protect when Magdeburg is Polish.

If we were to take the city, our border would become much smaller and easier defensible.

I myself am willing to take what men I can gather in the vicinity and lead the attack.

Perhaps since certain members of the Diet still seem to doubt the loyalty of our Duke, this would be a more viable proposal?

Von Kastillien and Von Mahren. I agree mostly with both of you. Magdeburg should be taken,so the heart of the Reich would not be vulnerable to Polish attacks anymore. If the Diet grants us permission to do that, i would like to lead the assault myself in order to redeem myself within the eyes of the Diet. After that i would like us to be in situation where you Counts would have all earned your spurs and could take responsibillity of operating on your own designated directions,so i could concentrate on other things and Governing our Franconian Duchy from Frankfurt. Currently there is a small army of the Vendic allies of the Polish, between Magdeburg and Stettin. I would be happy if i and Von Kastillien could destroy that army,so the Vendic woodsmen with their axes,would not be defending the walls of Magdeburg incase we get the permission to take it in the next Imperial Diet. After that i would like to have Count Von Hamburg to join me on the assault against Magdeburg, so we would be in situation where you would be all knighted.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

If the diet can accept that, I agree it would be ideal. The more of our generals can gain experience and a knighthood, the better. We may need every leader soon enough. My proposal is simply in case they still doubt your loyalty so much that they won't grant you permission to attack Magdeburg. In that case, another knighted general could do the task instead. One they have no historical disagreements with, and at least we'd have improved our defensive position, whether or not the Diet choose to trust you.
    I am not sure the Kaiser is easily convinced to forgive, especially when it is so obvious that he, and not you, have failed and need forgiving. He may, out of spite and wounded pride refuse you any chance to "redeem" yourself, knowing full well that your loyalty to the Reich has always been beyond any doubt, quite unlike his own.

In any case, we can't afford to waste too much time discussing this. We must get the Diet's approval soon, before Poland launches a major assault from Magdeburg. If you think you can get permission to lead the charge personally, do so. But if the Diet won't accept it, another general should take command of the battle instead. Of course, in that case, I could still take one of the unproven generals with me.

I have said my piece. I will leave the final decision up to you, mein Duke. When we ask the Diet for permission to take Magdeburg, should we gamble on the chance for you to once again prove your loyalty to the Kaiser, and hope that this time it will make a difference, or shall we play it safe and suggest a general whom the Kaiser and Chancellor have no reason to distrust?
    Last edited by Jalf; 03-02-2007 at 22:59.

Jonas Von Mahren.In the diet there will be an edict proposal that The Reich will take Stettin during the reign of the following Chacnellors reign. It will be not that Dietrich Von Saxony will take Magdeburg. Maybe you are forgretting who is your Duke,when you put your name before. Maybe you would like to put ahead proposal that Jonas Von Mahren will take Magdeburg alone? As i sayed. I want to win this war and then let my trusted Counts fight for Franconia.Especially you Von Mahren.You should not expect that Magdeburg will come to you automatically. If you think that you will garner more support in Diet then your Duke who just knighted you, go ahead amd make your own proposal.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Von Mahren puts some interesting views on the table, I would have thought personal dislike would come second to the empire. But sadly, I'm misguided and wrong.

However, if it can not be our duke due to some personal grievances of the past, then it should be Von Mahren. He is the only other knighted general present, other than Dietrich himself, and I'm sure Magdenburg will prove easy enough to capture for someone with his abilities.

I do hope that it is somehow possible for me to fight in that battle also. I am growing older and older, and have yet to command a battle personally. This worries me, and it affects my honour. Not something I like a great deal.

I am not forgetting who my duke is. I am also not doubting your skills as a general. I have been in only one battle so far, so there can be little doubt your greater experience would be a major advantage. The only doubt I put forth was whether or not the Kaiser and Chancellor will be able to see past their wounded pride and their past grudges with you, my lord. If they can do this, all is well, and you, as the Duke of Franconia, should certainly lead the charge for Franconia. If they can not do the right thing, we must find another way to gain approval for the attack on Magdeburg, because that city is vital for the defense of Franconia, the Reich, and even our capital. And these things must come before any one person's pride and personal dislikes.

I have not made a proposal in the Diet myself because, as I said before, it is your decision to make. I was merely presenting possible obstacles, so that you can consider all relevant factors before talking to the Diet.

I have the pleasure to inform that our options of army commanders are getting multiple all the time. Gunther Von Kastillien have been knighted on the battlefield of Stendal after showing courage rarely heard of. It seems while we destroyed the Polish forces that attacked us,they are building troops rapidly in Magdeburg and soon will be again in situation to attack us. We should get our forces gathered so we can fight united. Von Mahren, i may have some intresting personal suggestions for you soon,but i will get back at them later.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I am happy that we are allowed now to siege Magdeburg. Also Count Von Hamburg will join me in the siege and shall have his pabtism of fire when the time for Magdeburg to fall will come. Jonas Von Mahren has been ordered to move to Prague and take the Austrian troops there under his command and conduct the future operations in that direction.
    When and if we have taken Magdeburg,i have decided to transfer the command of the Franconian army fighting against Polish to Gunther Von Kastillien and Count Von Hamburg should return to Hamburg in order to keep close eye over the Danes. I have decided that i will not run for Chancellorship during next Diet and hope that we can find a candidate from another house who will gain our support.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Default Re: Duchy of Franconia

Ah good news then.

Why have you decided not to run, by the way ? Fearing not to have enough support from the rest of the Houses ?

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 03-07-2007 at 18:51.

Von Kastillien,
    The simple reason is that i think it is better for me to concentrate on the war against Poland. Maybe after we have removed the Polish threat, im able to redeem myself in the eyes of the Reich.
    It has been too short time since i returned on the public life and i think some old grudges still live strong amongst the nobles of the Reich. So let us concentrate the task on hand,defeating the ones who threaten Franconia and Reich and after that,who knows.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I agree, and while I will miss Franconia, I know the safety of our lands is in capable hands. Good luck to you all. I'll be departing for Austria as soon as all the preparations are in order.

God speed, Von Mahren!Make Franconia proud! I have no doubt that you will.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-08-2007 at 00:41.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Gentlemen,
    I would like to hear your suggestions, how to deal with the Polish Campaign. Any opinions about the primary targets and other suggestions,after Magdeburg has been taken,if the Diet allows us to do that?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

I propose we reenforce our northern army, the ideal castles to do this from would be Hamburg, Stettin and maybe even Magdenburg.

After that, said force should march to the Polish castle of Thorn. It is the only Polish castle which poses a threat to us at the moment, and it would severely hamper Polish troop recruitment abilities.

Our force will march via the northern route, killing all enemy armies which may pose a threat, and or get in our way. We shall then take Thorn and guard the city, retraining our men and training new ones. Sentries can be posted upon the northern bridge, and southeastern one. Although the castle itself is easy enough to defend, I imagine.

The other option we have is taking the city of Breslau. However, that city is located between the northern Thorn, and southern Krakow. It would be unwise to put us into such a position. It's harder to defend, and will cost us more in the long run. Both in troops and in money. Krakow is simply too far for us at the moment.

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

With the imminent capture of Magdeburg, I am wondering about the disposition of cities and castles within our lands. Magdeburg, Stettin, and Hamburg are all castes, in fairly close proximity for each other. Are that many castles necessary? Both Hamburg and Stettin lie on the sea. Hamburg already produces a significant income, despite being a castle. This could be significantly increased if it were a city. Stettin is underdeveloped as a castle, but could be useful for trade on the Baltic.

Of course, we need at least one castle, and Magdeburg seems to me like the best choice. Of course, this is under the assumption that it will be assigned to Franconia. The only issues are that it may be slightly less developed than Hamburg right now, and may take longer to reach fortress level. Also, Hamburg is on the border with the Danes, and will be more difficult to defend if it is a city.

In any case, at least Stettin should probably be converted to a city. What are your opinions on this?
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

I would rather convert Hamburg than Stettin to a city.
    Hamburg has a much greater potential for trade, while Stettin is little more than a stockade placed in the middle of no man's land. According to the surveys and maps I have been able to find, there is almost nothing of value in the region. That city will never become a source of income for us, it is not even particularly fertile, and would grow slowly, further limiting its potential as a city. I suggest we keep it as a castle, and instead turn Hamburg into a city.

Regarding defense, I doubt that will be a problem at all. Stettin and Magdeburg are both very close by, and we can have reinforcements sent to Hamburg in a matter of days. And if we do end up at war with the Danes, I imagine we would be on the offense. They have only one city in the area, and given the chance, it would make a very nice addition to the Reich. Aarhus is a big city with a lot of trade potential, and it's easily defensible from the rest of Scandinavia.

If we end up at war with the Danes, I suggest we take Aarhus at least, which means Hamburg will be safe even as a city.
    And if we stay at peace with them? Hamburg will also be safe, city or not.

I have also been thinking of the trade opportunities taking Magdeburg can offer to us and think that if Magdeburg is developed enough and the honourable counts agree. We should indeed change our Sea bound castles Hamburg and Stettin into cities. Specially in the case if Count Von Kastillien would be succesfull in taking Thorn,which would give us a stronghold in the East.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Once again, I suggest we consider Stettin carefully. As you may remember, I spent a few years in the castle garrison there... If you can call it a garrison. If you can call the wooden shack there a castle.

The place is a dump, and for the life of me, I can't imagine any way to make the city particularly profitable or prosperous. Perhaps I just lack the experience to see the opportunities clearly, but the area is not particularly fertile, it is one of our sparsest populated regions, and there aren't even any noteworthy trade resources. The place is useless as a city, and useless for trade purposes. Even if it was converted to a city, and even if we ignored the hopeless trade prospects, it would take eternities for the city to reach even average size.

As far as I can see, the only reasonable use for the place is as a castle. That does not require trade resources, and it does not require a large population. And if Hamburg is converted to a city, we may need nearby sources of good soldiers for quick reinforcements. Training soldiers is one of the only activities that can be done effectively in a deserted mudhole.

However, taking Thorn would definitely be worthwhile.

That leaves the question of Magdeburg. The city has no naval access, which limits its trade potential. But at least it has some trade resources in the region, and it has a much larger population than Stettin. So it would at least be acceptable as a city, even if it won't ever become a goldmine.
    But it could also work as a castle, supplying troops to the rest of Franconia. I suspect our financial situation would require a city rather than a castle though, especially if we keep Stettin a castle.

Those are all good points also Von Mahren and i fully regognice that Hamburg is a natural center of trade,while Stettin has always been somewhat periferia. Let us hear what Count of Stettin,Von Kastillien has to say about it. I still believe that if properly nurtured Stettin,which has only been known so far from its amount of heathens could be turned into a good supporting city for Reichs Baltic Sea trade,specially if we would build proper sea trading facilities into it.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 03-13-2007 at 22:38.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Franconian Electors. Im happy to inform you that Magdeburg has been taken and it has facilities to build all the basic troop types we need for our armies. Also Count Von Hamburg has been knighted,so now it is my time to concentrate on the Ducal affairs and your time to concentrate on fighting the enemies of the Franconia. Once our army has been refitted,Count Von Kastillien is ordered to lead the attack towards Thorn. Counts Von Kastillien and Von Hamburg.I urge you both to order the start of changing the castles of Hamburg and Stetting into Cities.The Chancellor cant act without your orders.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

A messenger has been sent, and is riding as we speak.

God damned! Our plans have been hampered by the holy father. Just as we were getting our Ducal army together,we have been forbidden to attack the Polish. In my opinion this means establishing a defensive posture and braking parts of the Ducal army to protect Hamburg and Stettin. Gentlemen,opinions?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Oh my, now this isn't something I saw coming. Surely we have only been reacting to the dastardly acts committed by Polish troops - by order of their King?

I am truly sorry the Holy father has managed to miss this fact, but there's nothing we can do about it I suppose. The pope has made up his mind, although I doubt he was told to do this by God, as He has been on our side since the very beginning of the conflict.

I don't think we should split up our Ducal army yet, we should simply position it between the Polish lands, and our own. That way we'd be able to reach every city in no time at all, if the Polish 'd dare actually make a move against us!

Thats a good suggestion Von Kassel. But i just came from the Imperial Diet.We have been excommunicated,since in coordination Duke Von Kassel and Kaiser Heinrich have declared war to Pope and taken Rome. I think time of glorius attacks against enemies of Franconia is over and we may have to concentrate on survival.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Gentlemen. I have some good news. Our Duchy will be getting a new Elector on the Imperial Diet. I hope he will introduce himself here as soon as possible.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Hi everyone, could someone give me a summary for the strategys of our Duchy, and maybe some basics to how the game works ? It would be greatly appreciated.

What I've noticed so far from reading is that our Duchy is on the defensive against the Polish because of the Kaiser's attack on the Papacy, is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast