Thread: Cavalry

I've heard several things about cavalry I just need cleared up. Do cavalry fight better on flat ground or can they fight on hills effectively too? And how about cavalry charging down a hill - Do they get the same charge and elevation bonuses as other units or is there a penalty when cavalry fight on anything but flat terrain? As far as I can tell with my minimal experience with cavalry they don't do so well on steep terrain but verification of this would be nice.

Cavalry will get tired faster going up hills than they do going along flat ground. That will reduce their effectiveness. They get elevation and charge bonuses like other units, but the charge bonus varies by unit type. I've never seen values for the charge bonus specified. I think you have to get a feel for this by playing. I've tried repeatedly, in custom battle, to observe a charge bonus on flat ground for heavy cav vs no-dachi or monks, and I don't see any enemies dropping on initial contact. If there is a charge bonus for heavy cav, I don't think it's a big factor.

The main mistake I see players making with cavalry is attacking yari infantry. There is a huge bonus given to the yari infantry when fighting cavalry. Cavalry are also severely hampered in trees, and they tire more quickly in the snow.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I was a bit agitated myself when I noticed that a charge against YI's didn't cause anyone to drop dead. Quite annoying considering I tired myself out climbing a hill just so I'd get that advantage.

As for the forest thing, this is no joke. I was totally screwed in one battle. I had 60 SAs and 60 YSs, defending against 320 Yari Cavalry. So I hid my archers in the forest, with the samurai beside. We rained some death on the cavalry, then when they got close, backed the archers off and tore them UP with samurai. At one point, I melee attacked with my archers, too. Lost 30 guys, killed over 100 before he fled like a cowardly dog. All this because of the disadvantage of woods.

------------------
    Hiroshi O'Duff
    Duff -
    Look for me online as HIRO SAITO

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

actually Cav is effective when flanking a group of Yari Spear/Ashi. While it's still prefereableto attack a Yari/Ashi unit's flank with spearmen, horses seem to do okay as long as they don't charge into those spears head-on.

I really like calverys espiceally the heavy ones

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Senior Member Senior Member Draksen's Avatar

I usually never use cavalry.
    (sometimes yari cav, but NEVER the heavy one)

Do you think there can be a
    "psychological" effect with cavalry ?
    Not against a computer (of course !) but against a human player.

I mean that when you fight against a
    large group of cavalry (and especially the Heavy Cavalry), although you can counter them with yari samurais, do you feel a little stressed ?

Do you think that the "size" and the speed of the cavalry unit can have an effect on your behaviour during a battle ?

------------------

Kazamatsuri clan
    www.geocities.com/draksen
    What I hate the most:

1-discussing politic with ignorant american teens.

2-discussing politic with ignorant british teens.

The presence of enemy cavalry definitely has an effect on your decision making. If you ignore them, they will pounce on you from behind at the worse possible moment. Having enemy units behind you is not healthy, and chasing after cav with YS doesn't seem like a great idea to me. See, I'm getting stressed just thinking about them.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Calvary are most deadly on plains. Especially the heavy calvary flanking, Combined with speed and power, and that's what made the Takeda such a powerful force during the Sengoku-Jidai.

------------------
    A great warrior never reveal his true skills....
    A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

I would think cavarly would be deadly on down hill assaults won't they; I meen their charging down hill (with the run button on); they'll just sweep through the enemy lines. It works with me.

Just a tip (I'll probably never fight) but; hiding cavarly in woodland and then sending them out against infantry would normal take that victory. It works with me most of the time. But don't have the charge go to far!

Cavs are really good because of speed as well mainly. You can surround, flank, wedge and micromanage how u want with them.

CA are stingy, yc beat no-dachi and hc slaughter naginata.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at: http://terazawa.totalwar.org

Naughty Little Hippy Senior Member Tachikaze's Avatar

I think my opponents are usually nervous when facing cavalry. I try to exploit that by using them sparingly. I will play a few battles with no cavalry, then throw 3 or so into a later battle.

You can use the threat of a cavalry charge to manipulate your opponent. CA are great for making your opponent micromanage. I like them best to harass a camper.

So, the strength in cavs is not just in their power and speed, but in the constant threat they pose. I have won a number of games without ever committing my cav units to melee.

Screw luxury; resist convenience.

But of course when sending in heavy cavarly; keep your eyes out for counter actions such as an attack by Lancers; a real bugger in Shogun and Napoleonic War games.

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

The good news is that Hvy cav can bounce almost every other unit type in STW. The bad news is that YS in 'Hold' formation can make it VERY costly to do so. A battle between these two will usually result in a win for the HC but it is neither quick nor cheap.

YS in 'Hold' vs YC is a win for the YS. An easy way to frustrate flanking YC is to stretch the YS in a line only two deep and in 'Hold' formation. The YC can't break thru and WILL lose, if they attack unassisted.

Cav get the same elevation and charge bonuses as other units. They likewise get the same disadvantages when attacking uphill,
    move slower and are more vulnerable in forests. Strangely, their speed can get them into trouble. Pursuing cav can find themselves in the middle of a routed army and lose a lot of men to a beaten army.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....